PDA

View Full Version : Best kettlebell for high rep snatches

Pat McElhone
02-13-2009, 03:31 AM
What is the best KB for high rep snatches (for the price)? Adler? US KB? Muscledriver? another? (I want to pay <$100 for 24kg). Thanks

Arden Cogar Jr.
02-13-2009, 06:37 PM
What is the best KB for high rep snatches (for the price)? Adler? US KB? Muscledriver? another? (I want to pay <$100 for 24kg). Thanks

To be frank, you would be better suited spending another $20 or $30 and get a green AKC bell. The handles and horns are perfect for extended sets. I've not used US KB so I can't comment on them. But both Adler and Muscledriver have bigger handles which are very difficult to use for extended sets - IMO.

I would definitely defer to Cate Imes. She's not only a Master of Sport in Grivory Sport but an excellent and extremely knowledgable coach who's very generous with her time.

All the best,
Arden

Garrett Smith
02-13-2009, 09:52 PM
Get GS KBs like Arden said. Perform Better has them, I liked the 16kg I got to handle today, it was nice.

All I would buy these days is the GS KBs. All the cheap hardstyle KBs are only good for certain exercises, the GS KBs are good for everything. More uses, same tool.

Pat McElhone
02-15-2009, 01:49 PM
These bells with shipping are about $200. Do you know how they compare to the Ader competition bells? or Perform Better competition bells? Thanks.

Garrett Smith
02-15-2009, 02:41 PM
Pat, you forgot a link.

Pat McElhone
02-15-2009, 05:34 PM
Garrett,

Are these the AKC bells? Thanks.
http://firefightersworkout.com/proshop.html (WFS)

Catherine Imes
02-16-2009, 06:40 AM
Thanks Arden. Yes, those are the bells.

The AKC bells or at least the Professional Style bells (Perform Better) are the best for high rep snatches. I would not recommend the Ader comp bells at this point.

The advantage of the AKC bells is that the handles come pre-stripped. You'll want to strip the handle if you go with another brand (Perform Better)

Let me know if you have any questions.

CI

Pat McElhone
02-16-2009, 03:39 PM
Thanks guys,

The feedback seems to be if I want a bell strictly for high rep snatching..GS, my best bet is to just pay more and get a bell meant for that. My choices are either the AKC bell, available through Steve Cotter's and other's site or the new Perform Better GS bell. The Perform Better bell would require removing the paint from the handle. Also, does anyone know if the bells from Colorado Kettlebell Club are GS competition bells?

Garrett, Arden and especially Catherine, thanks for the feedback.

Pat

Catherine Imes
02-17-2009, 06:03 AM
If that is Nico Rithner's organization (Colorado KB Club), then yes they are the Pro Bells.

CI

Garrett Smith
02-17-2009, 06:11 AM
CI,
Nice to know you're around the board.

Catherine Imes
02-17-2009, 06:40 AM
Thanks Garrett. I lurk here often; I find the information on the board quite good.

Chris Lampe
02-27-2009, 07:51 AM
Garrett and Catherine,

In a previous thread both of you had some pre-personal experience reservations about the Perform Better comp bells but in this thread you both seem to recommend them. Have you both now had the opportunity to work with these bells?

I have an AKC bell and will soon need a heavier bell. The Perform Better bells are substantially less expensive than the AKC so I'm wondering how they compare. If the quality is there I'll go with the Perform Betters.

Thanks!

Catherine Imes
03-02-2009, 06:24 AM
I don't recommend the Perform Better Bells for the record. I'm just fair and balanced :)

I personally have never used them, but have friends who did and said they were the same.. What I have discovered through others is that the Perform better and AKC bells are from the same mfg. In fact, PB shipped (mistakenly I guess) painted bells with the AKC/WKC Logo on them

The AKC was running a 20% discount on their bells which would put them closer in line to the PB bells. Also, I'm not sure what sizes PB offers at this point. I thought they just went up to 24kg, but I could be wrong.

Basically, I don't blame anyone for shopping for a better deal. So, if you can get a better price with the PB brand, go for it. They are the same bell.

CI

Chris Lampe
03-02-2009, 07:07 AM
I don't recommend the Perform Better Bells for the record. I'm just fair and balanced :)

I personally have never used them, but have friends who did and said they were the same.. What I have discovered through others is that the Perform better and AKC bells are from the same mfg. In fact, PB shipped (mistakenly I guess) painted bells with the AKC/WKC Logo on them

The AKC was running a 20% discount on their bells which would put them closer in line to the PB bells. Also, I'm not sure what sizes PB offers at this point. I thought they just went up to 24kg, but I could be wrong.

Basically, I don't blame anyone for shopping for a better deal. So, if you can get a better price with the PB brand, go for it. They are the same bell.

CI

Catherine,

Thanks for the clarification. I'll have to check out the 20% off AKC bells. Might be worth a few extra dollars to get a bell with the handle already stripped of paint.

David Boyle
04-10-2009, 04:48 PM
For high-rep KB work I would go w/ the following:

Dragon Door
Ader
Apollo
Life-line

glennpendlay
05-13-2009, 07:08 PM
I've got a bunch of Ader bells, because I used to sell them. I have used DD, Apollo, Powermax, and a number of others. Of these, the Ader and DD feel the best to me, and feel just about the same.

But, having had the chance on a couple of occasions to use AKC style bells, I feel like their is no comparison. This style of bell is definately way better for long sets. I would love to have some, and soon will. I am waiting, because there is soon to be a third company carrying the same bell that AKC and PB carry, and they are going to be cheaper than either one.

glenn

Bill Ripley
05-14-2009, 02:38 AM
Free shipping at Perform Better through May 15.

George Mounce
05-14-2009, 06:25 AM
I've got a bunch of Ader bells, because I used to sell them. I have used DD, Apollo, Powermax, and a number of others. Of these, the Ader and DD feel the best to me, and feel just about the same.

But, having had the chance on a couple of occasions to use AKC style bells, I feel like their is no comparison. This style of bell is definately way better for long sets. I would love to have some, and soon will. I am waiting, because there is soon to be a third company carrying the same bell that AKC and PB carry, and they are going to be cheaper than either one.

glenn

My gift to myself when I get promoted in July is a set of the 16, 24, and 32kg AKC pro KBs. Can't wait to own them.

Catherine Imes
05-15-2009, 07:13 AM
That's Great George. It's also a good time to buy. They have significantly reduced the prices.

CI

glennpendlay
05-27-2009, 10:03 AM
http://www.muscledriverusa.com/mdprosecoke.html

Competition bells from MDUSA, pretty good price.

David Wallach
05-28-2009, 05:25 AM
We recently bought 3 pairs of each size of the PB bells and it IS the same bell as the AKC, we got in with the cheap shipping, too, so it was quite a deal. I have used AKC for about a year and a half and notice no difference other than the painted horn. Have yet to strip those babies, but as far as high rep GS styled work and having a progression of weights that remain constant in size and handle diameter, these are the best money/quality we have seen yet.

Chef

glennpendlay
05-29-2009, 09:04 AM
Yes, the AKC, Perform Better, and the MuscleDriverUSA competition bells are all made by the same manufacturer out of the same molds.

glenn

Neal Winkler
11-10-2009, 01:25 PM
Catherine, if you are still lurking here, send me an email - nealwinkler@gmail.com

I was wondering if you would be interested in doing a kettlebell seminar in Belleville, IL.

Catherine Imes
11-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Sure Neil that would be cool. I'll shoot you an email. Thanks!

Mark Joseph Limbaga
11-12-2009, 07:43 PM
Pro grade or competition kettlebell works best for me