PDA

View Full Version : Charles' New Log (core lifts, lots of gymnastics, equilibre training)

Charles Moreland
02-14-2009, 02:57 PM
This is a return to Catalyst Athletics. My old log can be found here (http://www.cathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2957). It was stopped and continued on my personal blog here (http://www.charlesmoreland.com). Since then I have decided to start my log again on these forums.

Some updated stats:

Sex: Male
Weight: 161lbs
BF%: 6.8%
Height: 5' 9"

Updated Goal List:

Current Goals:
2x BW Squat (Attained and lost since ending SS. 1.5x currently)
2.5x BW DL (1.8x currently)
2x BW Dip (1.8x currently)
1x BW Power Clean (.7x currently)
10s Front Lever (2-3s currently)
15s One Armed Handstand (5-7s currently)
Full HSPU
OAC (pull to 150 degrees currently)
Iron Cross
HS on Rings
Planche (working on adv tuck currently)
Pike Press
Circles on Pommel
Full Splits
Full GHR

Goals Complete:
2x BW DL
1.5x BW Dip
1.5x BW Squat
Back Lever
Front Lever (needs solidifying)
1 minute HS hold freewall
One armed handstand
DH Muscle up on rings
RTO Dips

Charles Moreland
02-14-2009, 02:59 PM
Sleep - Only about 3.5 hoursÖI need to work on this

Warm up -

500m row 1:34

Work Out- (pressed for time)

Squats

airsquat x 10
135# x 5
185# (High Bar Position) x5
255# (Low Bar) 3◊5

OAC (right arm only)

3◊3 3 finger assisted, slow negatives
No dips because the gym has yet to replace the weight beltÖsighÖ

Front Lever

Adv Tuck 1 minute - 12-15 second holds

Deadlifts

135# x 5
185# x 5
225# x 5
275# x 5 (New PR)
295# x 5 (New PR)

I was pressed for time today so didnít get too much in. The weight belt not being replaced is really starting to piss me off. I would love to get back on the road to my 2xbw dip. Squats didnít feel too bad although still fairly light. I wish I could get back into my normal schedule and squat every other day, but work and school has been consuming my life.

I didnít set out to PR today in the deadlift, but I was cutting in with another guy today, and after doing the set of 275# and realizing how easy it was I decided to push it further. The 295# was definitely heavy but not ďhard.Ē Iím excited to see where this goes.

Iíll update my equilibre practice tomorrow. Need to rest the right shoulder (supraspinatus). Iíve been pushing it kind of hard.

George Mounce
02-14-2009, 06:40 PM
What do you need a weight belt for?

Chris H Laing
02-14-2009, 08:42 PM
weighted dips i think

Chris Salvato
02-14-2009, 09:16 PM
12-15 sec consistently on your tuck FL is weak sauce. You should move up to adv. now.

When you get to like 40% of your bodyweight or more (for me it was around 70#) on dips/chins it is really damn hard to hang a dumbbell between your feet or in your legs every other day. I started getting really bad bruises and it definitely effects your dip/chinning performance for no real good reason.

Weight belts or vests really help to alleviate the problem so the whole load isn't being held by the calves or ankles...

Charles Moreland
02-14-2009, 10:21 PM

Weighted dips. I bike to and from the gym so carrying my weight vest becomes quite the hassle and takes up a lot of space that is usually used for my school books/laptop, etc.

And yeah, dangling 60+ lbs from your ankles sucks.

12-15 sec consistently on your tuck FL is weak sauce. You should move up to adv. now.

They are advanced numbskull. Read again. The flexibility on my straddle is still too much for me to train in. Maybe max 3 seconds. Once my jacknife hold gets to around 5-7 seconds I'll switch to that.

Chris Salvato
02-14-2009, 10:34 PM
They are advanced numbskull. Read again. The flexibility on my straddle is still too much for me to train in. Maybe max 3 seconds. Once my jacknife hold gets to around 5-7 seconds I'll switch to that.

Lulz my apologies. Half Lay?

George Mounce
02-15-2009, 07:38 AM
Weighted dips. I bike to and from the gym so carrying my weight vest becomes quite the hassle and takes up a lot of space that is usually used for my school books/laptop, etc.

And yeah, dangling 60+ lbs from your ankles sucks.

Gotcha that is what I thought. I bought one of those Ironmind dip belts, and man it rocks!

Charles Moreland
02-15-2009, 09:33 AM
Yeah I'll look into one. Right now lifting shoes are high on my priority list. I found a dip belt at the varsity weightlifting room. I'll start doing dips while I work there.

Sleep - 10 hours. VERY pleased with this

Gymnastics today. I'll take more film of my straddle presses for critique and I'll test my OAHS progress. Training circles as well as some PBar work.

Good news, my boss finally said she would be setting up competition rings in the gym for next session. Very excited to not have to use the ones hanging in my doorway anymore!

Warmup -

Consisted of simple tumbling drills and handstand work

Work out-

Straddle HS press negatives 3x5
-video soon

Attempted OAHS, lots of pain in supraspinatus. Need to rest. Re-asses on Thursday.

Mushroom circle work 25 minutes - probably 100+ swings
-my two consistent circles feel much much more comfortable now, however I still have a very difficult time going for a third. I believe that problem is swing related. Might have decent video of this as well.

HS Pirouette - 15x1 turn

Front support crawls 3x25m
-basically pushup walking but with your feet on a slider

Adv. Tuck FL - 15 12 12 11 11

HS hold for time
-gym record is only 60 seconds or something. I got to 53 seconds before losing my balance and had no strength left to save it. I'll test this again before my workout next time.

ROAC 3x3 3 finger assist

Charles Moreland
02-16-2009, 06:58 AM
Sleep - 3.5 hours bleh

Warmup -

1.5 mile bike ride to gym
20 airsquats
20 push ups

Workout -

Deadlift
135# x 5
225# x 5
275# x3
295 x 2
305 x 1
315 x 1
325 x 1

Squat
135# HB x 5
185# HB x 5
225# HB x 5
265# LB 3x5

Weighted PU
10# 3x5

Stretching

I was very dissatisfied with my deadlift performance. I figured I'd get 350+ for my 1RM test, but my form dropped significantly past 325. Perhaps I'll test this again in a month.

I'm beginning to like the high bar squat position, although I've been doing LB for so long that I need to recondition myself for it.

This is also my first time adding weight to my pull ups since my bicep tendinitis a year ago.

Weighted dips I'll do tonight at work.

Weighted Dips
BW x5
25# x5
50# x5
70# 3x5

Charles Moreland
02-17-2009, 07:27 AM
Sleep-6 hours...better than most

Rest day

18 hour fast

Charles Moreland
02-19-2009, 07:59 AM
No Sleep

Yup, that's right. It's finals week and I had two huge papers due yesterday. Tuesday-wednesday saw no sleep. I was awake for about 30 hours before completing the papers and passing out.

TODAY

18+ hours of sleep

Oh man it felt wonderful. I ate a ton of ground beef before sleeping, woke up 10 hours later and ate 4 scrambled eggs with cheese and 6oz of turkey and went back to sleep for another 9ish hours. I feel like a champion right now.

I think despite everything I will keep today a rest day. I am going to try some OAHSs tonight and see how my wrists/shoulder is doing. Both feel relatively strong...but we'll see.

Update tonight.

Charles Moreland
02-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Sleep-10 hours skipped morning workout and class, felt good

17 hour fast

Fran 12:10

This is my first metcon since tendinitis a year ago. I feel like I could have and should have pushed harder, but it was an impromptu kind of thing. My roommate did it earlier today and convinced me to give it a shot.

I'm pleased with the strength in my tendon. Each week I've been getting more and confident with it.

Tested OAHS again last night. Only a short 5 second hold. Shoulder pain came back and now there is some strange pain on my left wrist. Going to hardcore massage and rehab for the next week.

Charles Moreland
02-21-2009, 12:49 PM
Sleep-10 hours

Woke up and felt like crap...pretty much like I got broadsided by a dump truck. This may or may not be from fran, but until I rule it out, I'm going to assume it was Fran.

Lots of tea, massage, and rest.

Unplanned fast until 4pm, about an 18 hour fast. Probably not the best thing considering my current state, but we didn't have any food in the house.

Forgot to track my OAC progress yesterday. My slow negative has gotten a lot more solid progressing into a 10 second slow negative. I still feel extremely weak at the bottom but 0-90 I can pretty much lockout whenever.

Charles Moreland
02-22-2009, 06:03 PM
sleep-shitty

So what felt like severe muscular and CNS fatigue turned out to be a virus of some sort. Had to go to the ER today because I experiencing "meningitis" like symptoms. They didn't think it was so that's a relief, however they also couldn't tell me what it was...because their labs were malfunctioning. Instead of running my tests later, they hyped me on anti-inflams and drugs and told me to wait until I could go to the Student Health Center tomorrow.

Been trying to sleep all day, but any sleep I get is not good resting sleep. Headache is down from an 8 out of 10 to a 3-4, but I need to take the drugs to suppress it.

Finals week is this week and I believe I have an exam tomorrow morning, which is simply not going to fly.

I think this entire week is now canceled training wise. Hopefully I feel better for my Texas excursion next week.

Charles Moreland
02-23-2009, 06:21 PM
sleep-as much as I can get all day

Skipped my final, going to have to skip finals for tomorrow as well. Not pleased about this but my symptoms worsened overnight. Doctors said it was a pretty bad case of the flu. I know I've never been hit by the flu this hard before.

I've lost weight, I can tell. Been forcing myself to eat as often as I can. I'll tell you what though, that 25 hour fast from yesterday felt like the easiest fast ever.

Anybody have suggestions for diet? Really all I've been able to consume is gatorade (hate it), grapes, clementines, and I ate what deli meat we had left. Tried eating almonds instead but that was NOT happening. No chicken soup around and my will to make food is non-existent. I have a hard time mustering the energy to get up and go to the bathroom...

Fever climbed to over 103 which explains my crazy chills and horrible sleep. Doc instructed me to alternate tylenol and ibuprofen every 2 hours. Been drinking chammomile with honey and lemon slices for my throat.

Steven Low
02-23-2009, 07:10 PM
http://www.performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3635

jake oleander
02-23-2009, 07:15 PM
http://www.performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3635

there was also a thread on this forum a little while ago on the flu being caused by vitamin D deficiency. im too lazy to search for it, but go ahead and get yourself an assload of vitamin d pills (you need thousands of units / day) and pop em like a pill fiend. hahhaa, get well man.

Charles Moreland
02-24-2009, 09:04 PM
Sleep - pretty much all god damn day

I feel pretty good now. Fever is diminishing well and my appetite is coming back. Still coughing my right lung out and over producing mucus like I'm some sort of factory, but oh well.

Thanks for the link Steve. I'm fairly certain I have a Vitamin D deficiency. Sun is a rare commodity in Rochester from October to about April, so I wouldn't be surprised. I've been saying for a long while that I would start supplementing...and I never did. This is probably a good push to get my ass in gear.

Thursday I may start some very light exercise. As for now, stretching and therapy. My body totally didn't heal properly from the Fran on friday. Really not pleased about that. My tendinitis elbow is hurting again. Hopefully a simple month of recovery is all it needs.

Charles Moreland
02-26-2009, 01:04 PM
Sleep-6.5 hours not shabby

Rest, of course. Headache still. Had a 4 hour critique (I'm an artist) and about 2 hours in my headache just started to get horrible. I was able to leave, came back and got some tylenol.

Just lots of stretching and massage today

Charles Moreland
04-24-2009, 07:22 AM
4/21

Warm up -

2◊30sec RTO support hold (rings)
2◊20sec floor handstand
2◊5 pullups
2◊5 dips

Workout -

4◊5 Bulgarian Rows
4◊5 Bulgarian Push ups (RTO)
25min Shoulder stand practice (longest hold 8sec, jump into position)
1min L-sit
3min Adv tuck FL ~17 reps
1min Tuck planche ~5 reps
2min Adv tuck BL ~ 8 reps
1min Straddle-L ~5 reps (needs a lot of work)

Cooldown

20 minutes intense mobility stretching of the hip, torso, and shoulder girdle

Sorry for the long hiatus. After Spring break it just took me so long to get back into any sort of structured routine. My life schedule has been absolutely messed up and completely random.

Charles Moreland
04-24-2009, 07:28 AM
4/23

7 hours sleep - not bad

About 2 hours today of bouldering. Absolutely fun. I started a rings workout in the gym until my boss yelled at me for having them up on the squat rack -_-

4x5 Bulgarian push ups
4x5 Bulgarian rows
4x30 sec RTO support hold
1 minute L-sit 2 reps
2x7 legs elevated assisted muscle ups
13 sec Adv tuck FL hold pull to 10 sec adv tuck BL hold (reverse and complete 5 reps)

I tried testing my muscle up, and it's extremely gross to look at. I'm not sure what happened, because they used to be fairly smooth going. Hopefully a few weeks of work will solidify them again.

Charles Moreland
04-29-2009, 07:37 AM
4/27

sleep 5 hours crap

Warm up-

2◊30sec Upper support hold
2◊5 pull ups
2◊5 dips

Workout -

10 minutes shoulder stand practice
3 Rounds of:
10 sec Adv tuck BL + 5 Bulgarian rows
10 sec tuck planche + 5 Bulgarian push ups
10 sec Adv tuck FL + 10 sec L-sit

Cooldown -

30 minutes of slacklining

My final back lever felt much stronger than the previous two, Iím not sure exactly what I changed to accomplish that. Bulgarian push ups are not getting any easier and I love it. My shoulder stand work has improved significantly since the last time. I think my longest hold today was around 5-7 seconds which is huge improvement over my 1-2 seconds just a couple days ago. Shoulder stand work will continue until I can effectively hold one for about 20-30 seconds, then I will transition into Ring handstands.

Later that day a client cancelled and I was able to get in:

Box Squat
135 1x5
185 1x5
225 6x3 on a 12" box

Deadlift
135 1x5
185 1x5
225 1x5
275 1x3
305 1x5

Charles Moreland
05-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Change-up

This entire season has kept my training rather infrequent and definitely not well formulated. I have gradually become less and less driven by my strict weightlifting goals and feel that it is time for a shift in training structure and focus.

Current Goals:
OAC - both arms (right arm close, left arm taking slow for tendinitis)
10 sec solid Straddle OAHS - ~4seconds right arm, left arm still needs work
4 second Straight-body OAHS - both sides
Full arched handstand - basically a bridge with the feet ~1 foot off the ground
Freestanding rings HS - Shoulder stand straight body at 10sec currently
Full OAEL - currently only right arm in a horrible straddle
Full FL - 18sec Adv Tuck, 3 sec Straddle
Full BL - 11sec Adv Tuck, ~1.5 sec Straddle
Pike Press
Full Straddle-L
Full GHR
Active front leg raise to ~120degrees - ~75deg now
Active side leg raise to ~120degrees - ~83deg now
Passive full straddle/front splits
DHMU + 25lbs - BW currently with slight kip
2x BW dip
Pullup + 75lbs
~4 second straddle planche - ~4 second adv tuck current

Goals on Hold:
2.5x bw squat
2.5x bw DL
1x bw power clean
Iron Cross
Pistol

Very late, test in the morning. Will update with proposed training change tomorrow after a long day of work.

Rafe Kelley
05-08-2009, 12:35 AM
I am starting to feel a bit fatigued with weight training too targeting june to switch from strength focus to parkour focus with maintence on strength and conditioning. Good gymnastics goals there curious what your parkour goals are though?

Charles Moreland
05-11-2009, 08:11 AM
I usually never list my parkour goals because they are somewhat hard to control. Also, although parkour is my main discipline, I can only get a couple solid hours a week outside practicing; even then, I'm usually stuck teaching due to the nature of the community we have here in Rochester.

When I post here, it is mostly for standard weight lifting, gymastics, or equilibre.

Implementation of a Structured Daily Routine:

Active Flexibility Practice

Frontal leg raise - 2min cumulative ME
Lateral leg raise - 2min cumulative ME
Back leg raise - 2min cumulative ME
Straddle-L - 2min cumulative ME

Handstand

Straight body HS - kick up 10sec hold x3
Kick to HS - double leg kick to tuck x3
Straddle kick - kick to HS slow eccentric x3
Asymmetrical HS - weight shift up on five fingers both sides x3

Tuck planche - 1min floor
Wall walks - taken from Gymnastic Bodies
Wall Shoulder Extensions - 2x5 as far as possible (almost completely straight)

Cooldown

Intense passive stretching of the shoulder, hip, lower back and chest
Intense tennis ball therapy of the shoulder girdle, hip, and bicep

This is a daily routine to be done in the morning. Another post will follow with a revised workout routine.

Charles Moreland
05-12-2009, 08:21 PM
Sleep - 6 hours (watched kung fu panda...totally worth the sleep loss)

Warm up -

25 air squats (10 slow)
20 push ups
10 burpees
~15 vaults over a steeple chase barrier

Workout -

30 sec handstand completely straight/tight x2
15 sec straddle handstand x3
Straight handstand to tuck handstand x10
OAHS 5 finger assist 3x10sec both arms
Handstand walk 5x10ft
Handstand flutter kicksx30 (focused on stable core)

Straddle-L ME x10
Sitting pike ME x10
Sitting straddle ME x10
Wall walks x10 (sucked hardcore)
EL 3x30sec
OAEL practice 10 minutes both arms (mostly straddle assist with other arm)

1 hour intense passive stretching

Charles Moreland
05-14-2009, 06:24 AM
Sleep - 8 hrs good

Rest with 16 hour fast

Charles Moreland
05-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Quick recap:

busted levator
Beast Coast
relaxing in the adirondacks

Right now just chilling out with my girlfriend near the high peaks region. It's obnoxiously beautiful and it's a good thing it's raining, lest I be tempted to do too many debilitating things to my shoulder.

Shoulder is doing well. No real incidents. Lots of massage, rest, and heat therapy.