PDA

View Full Version : BW only workout w/hybrid results?

Mike Wright
02-19-2009, 08:42 PM
I basically need feedback on two questions:

1. Is it possible to gain similar results (strength/size) achieved with a GG hybrid program with a BW only program.

2. What would that program look like? (I have no rings)

Thanks in advance for the input.

Steven Low
02-19-2009, 09:12 PM
1. Size... generally bodyweight exercises take you to your "optimal" weight based on your genetics. So yes, if you're underweight. Otherwise, probably not.

Strength, definitely.

2. You definitely need rings. It's going to consist of a lot of decreased leverage movements based on planche, handstands, front levers, etc.

A lot of us have logs that are using mostly gymnastics work for strength if you wanna check it out.

Charles Moreland
02-19-2009, 09:50 PM
I'll second the necessity for rings. Results will not be the same, nor as fast without them. They're also fairly cheap and can be set up pretty much anywhere with an overhead bar.

Derek Weaver
02-19-2009, 11:51 PM
If you can't afford rings (any expense outside the norm can be stretching it with the economy the way it is) you can always make them. There's a guide somewhere on the CF site, I think in the FAQ. Take an hour or two, but mine have held up for about 2 years.

Brandon Enos
02-20-2009, 07:46 AM
I found my rings on ebay for like 20 dollars. They are basically the exactly the same as if I made them myself, but I didnt have to do the work. They may have gone up in price since then, Idk, but cant hurt to look.

Gant Grimes
02-20-2009, 08:36 AM
I basically need feedback on two questions:

1. Is it possible to gain similar results (strength/size) achieved with a GG hybrid program with a BW only program.

2. What would that program look like? (I have no rings)

Thanks in advance for the input.

Yes. The hybrid is designed the power component makes your strength more useful. You'll have to make some of your BW stuff explosive (HSPU, pullups, plyo), but it can be done. Just follow the progression of gymnastic skill>explosive>slow>metcon>gymnastic static.

Look to the BW guys for guidance on how to implement explosive movement patterns in BW exercises.

Aaron Austin
02-20-2009, 01:21 PM
Mike, if you haven't already you should check out Ross Enamait's books, articles or forum - as cheesy as the website is there is a lot of good resources for the budget minded and bodyweight only crowd.

Mike Wright
02-20-2009, 02:26 PM
Thanks all for the input.

Just follow the progression of gymnastic skill>explosive>slow>metcon>gymnastic static.
Gant, does this mean in a single workout or spread over a week? How would I implement progression?

Gavin Harrison
02-20-2009, 04:45 PM
Thanks all for the input.

Gant, does this mean in a single workout or spread over a week? How would I implement progression?

That should be the general order of things when you workout.

1) You don't want to be fatigued when you're working skills.
2) You're more explosive when you aren't fatigued.
3) I dunno why, but I think coach sommer et al like to put statics after dynamic strength.

Steven Low
02-20-2009, 05:04 PM
I generally put eccentrics and statics before explosive work.... but it depends on what kind of explosive work you're working. If it's multiplane and/or largescale coordinated like Oly for example it's better to put it near the beginning.

Gant Grimes
02-23-2009, 08:52 AM
Mike, if you haven't already you should check out Ross Enamait's books, articles or forum - as cheesy as the website is there is a lot of good resources for the budget minded and bodyweight only crowd.

This brings up a good point. There are a number of BW programs out there by Ross E. and others. I would follow one of these before trying to jam it into a framework that was designed for something else. Not saying it wouldn't work because it would. But it would probably be a less-good reinvention of an already good wheel.