PDA

View Full Version : Meat and beer diet?

Bryan Paulshock
02-22-2009, 02:46 PM
A while back I was watching some CrossFit videos and I remember in one of Nicole's videos about nutrition she mentioned she knew someone who went on a diet of basically beer and wings and that he lost weight however she didn't recommend this as it wasn't too healthy. That really goes without saying but I was still curious as to the whole story.

I searched the CrossFit board and even posted this question there but I figured I would also post it here since there are some here who previously posted there but now don't post there blah, blah, blah........

Does anyone know any details of this story like who, what, where, when, why, how long, or a link where I can read about it?

I'm really just curious.

George Mounce
02-22-2009, 03:17 PM
I don't know how that would be surprising as long as you didn't go overboard on the amount of meat and beer you ate.

10 beers a day and 2 x 16 oz steaks is basically 2200 calories. Will vary with amount of fat on the steak and type of beer.

As far as health goes I wouldn't recommend it, I'd switch out the beer with red wine.

Gant Grimes
02-23-2009, 08:57 AM
You can lose weight on a diet like that if the total calories are low enough. A college buddy of mine lost 80 pounds a diet composed entirely of beer and Ramen Noodles.

Obviously you can't get all your macros from this sort of diet, but it's fine once in awhile (i.e. three times per week or more). This is what my Saturday recovery day looked like.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/gantgrimes/IMG_0355.jpg

Mike ODonnell
02-23-2009, 10:01 AM
This thread combines two of my favorite things...meat and beer....sniff sniff...I'm so happy.....

Craig Brown
02-23-2009, 11:44 AM
That picture is so beautiful.....

Dave Ogilbee
02-23-2009, 12:40 PM
This is why you are my hero Gant :D

Like everyone else has stated, moderation would be key, I would think. That and you'd be missing out on all those vitamins from the veg. I know, bleh, veg. But I do love some of the green stuff with meat. But with more emphasis being on the meat, of course :)

Kevin Perry
02-23-2009, 03:08 PM
more BBQ and Beer.... the latest obession on these forums.

Garrett Smith
02-23-2009, 08:29 PM
Someone want to start a new thread? Since I'm only a fan of beer these days (I love me some BBQ but I don't eat it anymore or my training goes in the crapper with back pain), I figure a fan of both should start it.

Greg Davis
02-24-2009, 03:58 AM
Someone want to start a new thread? Since I'm only a fan of beer these days (I love me some BBQ but I don't eat it anymore or my training goes in the crapper with back pain), I figure a fan of both should start it.

Is that the typical bbq sauce that does it or something else?

Mike ODonnell
02-24-2009, 05:11 AM
my god...what will this do for our body pH....we'll all have osteoporosis....what no fiber? We'll never poop again!....sorry, just had to get the vegan rant in here somewhere for my own amusement.

Garrett Smith
02-24-2009, 06:11 AM
Greg, my issue with BBQ is the sauce...tomatoes and peppers...good stuff, but I'm having to avoid exercise right now because I splurged the other night on the same things in Mexican food at my brother's birthday dinner.

Jordan Glasser
02-24-2009, 06:23 AM
Greg, my issue with BBQ is the sauce...tomatoes and peppers...good stuff, but I'm having to avoid exercise right now because I splurged the other night on the same things in Mexican food at my brother's birthday dinner.

Garrett, do you find that you've become extremely sensitive to peppers and tomatoes since eliminating them? I used to eat quite frequently, and now balloon up instantly from either of those 2 foods. I can hardly grip a bar my hands get so swollen.

Garrett Smith
02-24-2009, 08:07 AM
Jordan,
I have noticed an increased sensitivity in certain ways, less in others. I think part of it is that I've gotten so used to feeling better in general that the way I feel after eating nightshades is amplified due to the amount of contrast.

I've also started experimenting with taking certain supplements when I know I'm going to eat some. Things like D3, vit. K, Ca/Mg/K bicarb, magnesium, probiotics, liver herbs, and fish oil. It does seem to help a lot, but it doesn't eliminate the post-symptoms completely.

One patient I had that eliminated nightshades for her bilateral knee osteoarthritis (which she said was the best thing that ever happened to her pain) accidentally ate some peppers in a restaurant soup--her knees proceeded to swell up so badly almost immediately that she had to leave before the main course arrived. So, it does happen.

My issue isn't so much swelling as it seems to be a recurrent subluxed rib head that likes to get aggravated whenever I eat wrong--it hits the worst point at two days after I eat that bad stuff...that's today for me.

Jordan Glasser
02-24-2009, 09:28 PM
Garrett,

I've been thinking about this for quite some time, and hit home when reading Robb's blog today.

He said that no variety in diet leads to intolerance's.

I'm paraphrasing. He is referring to a vegetarian diet, and understandably depends on how you implement that diet. And in my case, a paleo diet, that is void of all nightshides, and limits my intake of fruits. Over time it does tend to lack variety. Although I try and vary up my veggies, my proteins, and fats, I have become extremely sensitive to many foods, and food types.

What I struggle with is the following. Aren't I better off being in a place where I can tolerate these foods, albeit on a limited basis? I understand that as a whole I am better off without them, but I feel like I am paying a really big price when I re-introduce foods that I haven't been eating.

Just as an example, 3 years ago I couldn't live without cajun spices. At the time I was injury free, didn't struggle with joint inflammation. Now, a little cajun spice, and I can instantly feel inflamed. I am not 100% sure that it was doing me much harm at the time, and I feel that it's doing me harm now, or at least potentially (when I consume it).

I appreciate that I am way more in tune with my body now then I was then, and I am not looking to start eating gluten and nightshades everyday to de-sensitize myself from them. Perhaps I am just looking for a happy medium, or is there no turning back now?

Frank Needham
02-25-2009, 01:07 PM
For the OP, or anyone doing the meat/beer diet thing: That stuff can work, until you're about 40ish, or unless you have some sort of alien metabolism. Until my late 40s I could almost build muscle and fitness on beer and chips, not anymore though. It's remarkable what 15-20 years will learn you.

George Mounce
02-25-2009, 01:52 PM
Why did this wonderful thread about meat and beer have to turn into a nightshade thread! Just kidding! :)

But I would have to say, that Guiness and Beamish both go very well with some good ribs. I'm also a fan of some Sam Adams Boston Lager with a good smoked chicken and turkey.

Garrett Smith
02-25-2009, 03:13 PM
He said that no variety in diet leads to intolerance's.
That is true. Imagine how many Paleo/Zoners are making themselves intolerant of almonds, for example, by eating them every single day.

I'm paraphrasing. He is referring to a vegetarian diet, and understandably depends on how you implement that diet. And in my case, a paleo diet, that is void of all nightshades, and limits my intake of fruits. Over time it does tend to lack variety.
Variety is not implicit in any diet, Paleo included, it's all in how it is implemented. Eating seasonally, for example, tends to introduce variety.

Although I try and vary up my veggies, my proteins, and fats, I have become extremely sensitive to many foods, and food types.
There are two main things I would look at with your statement. First, if you are noticing more of a sensitivity to non-Paleo foods, that I would typically regard as being more in touch with your physiology and what makes it run poorly. Second, if you are becoming more sensitive to Paleo foods, along with more environmental sensitivities (ie. pollen, chemicals, smoke), then there is something else going on.

What I struggle with is the following. Aren't I better off being in a place where I can tolerate these foods, albeit on a limited basis? I understand that as a whole I am better off without them, but I feel like I am paying a really big price when I re-introduce foods that I haven't been eating.
That's all up to you. You could drink a little gasoline each day, slowly becoming more "tolerant" of it as your liver adapted to it, but that doesn't mean you are in a "better place" just because you can tolerate something that isn't necessarily good for you.

People often take for granted just how good they feel once they are off foods that they don't tolerate well. This leads to them feeling "worse" in contrast when they eat offending foods, because they are used to feeling so much better. It is all due to the contrast. Yes, it sucks. Yes, I experience the same thing. Yes, I will likely be a little smug when I (hopefully, I'm planning on it at this point) don't get arthritis because I chose not to eat certain foods.

Just as an example, 3 years ago I couldn't live without cajun spices. At the time I was injury free, didn't struggle with joint inflammation. Now, a little cajun spice, and I can instantly feel inflamed. I am not 100% sure that it was doing me much harm at the time, and I feel that it's doing me harm now, or at least potentially (when I consume it).
You were also younger then and (likely) more naive about what food actually does to a body. I was much the same way when I was going through medical school. Both are huge factors. Your nutritional and toxic body burden were different then as well. Many things could have changed between then and now. Think about a car that is 3 years older, it's not the same car it was before and never will be again.

I appreciate that I am way more in tune with my body now then I was then, and I am not looking to start eating gluten and nightshades everyday to de-sensitize myself from them. Perhaps I am just looking for a happy medium, or is there no turning back now?
You can always go back. I don't think you'll like that place.

Mike ODonnell
02-25-2009, 05:03 PM
But I would have to say, that Guiness and Beamish both go very well with some good ribs. I'm also a fan of some Sam Adams Boston Lager with a good smoked chicken and turkey.

You must of read my mind with your fancy ESPN.....Mmmmmmmm.......

Jordan Glasser
02-26-2009, 08:16 AM
George you're right. I'd be buying the next round of beers for changing the subject. Not sure what the online equivalent punishment should be, how's about I spend the next half hour watching video highlights of an online poker tournament.

Garrett, thanks for taking the time to answer me thoroughly. I think it's me looking at the glass being half empty instead of half full. You're right, I wouldn't like going back. And that's the bottom line.

Dave Ogilbee
03-03-2009, 09:23 AM
All I know is Guinness and Sheppard's Pie makes me feel like a new man. My dinner consisted of a night with friends at a SF pub, PR'd the next day. That stuff is like magic I tell ya. :D

Jay Cohen
03-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Little ruff around the edges, but the Home made Jack Daniels BBQ sauce made up for the poor construction.

Damn thing only lasted two days. Next time, bigger and making a couple of these guys.

Kevin Perry
03-03-2009, 10:06 AM
mouth watering

Enrique Billington
03-03-2009, 12:49 PM
ive been on this diet for a few years now. i never eat vegetables and only occasional grains. just meat beer and water. theres not a lot of point in "eating healthy". eating this way isn't any less healthier than eating whatever diet is considered healthy this month.

Gant Grimes
03-04-2009, 03:14 PM
I could post this in the pre-workout meal thread, but I'll do it here.

There is a big dude who lifts in the evenings at our gym. I forget his name, but he looks like a lumberjack. Mostly PL and strength work. Before every workout, he sits in his truck and sips a beer. I don't know if it's a pre-WO drink or if he just likes drinking beer in his truck (it is Wichita Falls).

I hope this helps.

Kevin Perry
03-04-2009, 03:19 PM
Don't tempt me Gant

glennpendlay
03-04-2009, 04:02 PM
I once discovered that I could snatch 110kg after 14 beers.

Mike ODonnell
03-04-2009, 04:05 PM
ive been on this diet for a few years now. i never eat vegetables and only occasional grains. just meat beer and water.

By most vegans you should of died off months ago from not being able to poop without all that fiber and your acidic pH burning you up from the inside into a pile of goo.

Ban beer from sports....it's performance enhancing.