PDA

View Full Version : D. Coaching Vid Back Squat

Troy Archie
02-23-2009, 06:39 PM
110kg x5 - 3rd set (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K4J8CryRWU)
I never realize just how long, lanky and skinny I am until I see myself on video.
A little back ground first;

I've been following SS since November and have decided to dedicate this year to lifting, getting stronger and gaining some much needed weight. I've been shooting for a 1.2kg gain per month and have kept on that rate pretty consistently. I've been using the low bar back squat form. About mid-December I started to have some elbow/bicept pain while and after squatting. I had worked up to 117.5 x5x3 and it came to the point where the pain was becoming so unbarable it put me on my hands in knees between sets. After reading a couple posts and articles I decided that I was injured and needed to rest, heal and re-asses my back squat, so I dropped the weight and went on using the high bar back squat. That was about a month ago. In that time I worked up to 110 x5x3 on the HBSS but found everytime I did 110, I was done and couldn't do 110 or anywhere near it the next session. I added front squats to the mix to little remedy.

My elbows had been feeling good so I decided to give the LBBS another try to see how they felt. This video is of my second session at 110 using the LBBS and I haven't experienced any pain in either session. I've been playing around with form and I feel like the bar is really low compared to what I see on other videos; any higher and I lean too much forward and have zero hip-drive. I've also been using a very very narrow grip, it just barely clears my shoulders; I find with it I keep my elbows up that much more. I should have taken a photo of the bar postition on my bar...

LBBS feels a bit more natural but it's such a bitch for me.

Derek Simonds
02-24-2009, 07:00 AM
We are very similar in size and shape. I have pretty wide shoulders for my size and can not get my arms anywhere near as close as yours are. I also get pain in my elbows after sets of squats. I have been playing with grip width to find the right spot and am now slightly wider then the width mark on most bars. I find that the heavier I go the harder I contract with my elbows and biceps which I think relates to the pain.

Leo had me narrow up my grip from what I was using and I have kind of split the difference between where I was and where he had me holding the bar. It feels the best. I will shoot some video this weekend if you are interested.

Troy Archie
02-27-2009, 07:51 AM
Is my form that bad that all I get is silence?

glennpendlay
02-27-2009, 09:13 AM
Those look like decent squats to me. It was obviously a hard set, and little stuff happens when your pushing it. But overall looked like good form.

Kevin Perry
02-27-2009, 09:37 AM
They look decent to me too. It will never be perfect unless you have someoen constantly hacking at you for form and with the weight real heavy like that of course it won't be perfect but your form looked right.

Dave Van Skike
02-27-2009, 11:27 AM
I liked them, not that it means anything but they looked pretty good I thought.

Troy Archie
02-28-2009, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the eyes. Couple different angles.
110 x5 first set Feb 27/09 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyloFTTJGck)
110 x5 second set Feb 27/09 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKjRYUVTPC0)

Dave Van Skike
02-28-2009, 12:03 PM
you're cutting depth a little but they look fluid enough. just try to catch that bounce a little lower. little more chest up...foot position looks comfortable. I'd also work on sitting back a little more and if your going to use low bar, I'd add box squats to the equation.

oh...do you like peanut butter and jelly?

Troy Archie
02-28-2009, 01:14 PM
oh...do you like peanut butter and jelly?

Fuck, I'm not that skinny am I?

Dave Van Skike
02-28-2009, 01:34 PM
ummmmm.... I'll bet you look great in a suit.