PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know of an aluminum free deodorant that actually works?

kevin mckay
01-15-2007, 01:31 PM
Anybody know of an aluminum free deodorant that actually works?

Steve Shafley
01-15-2007, 03:03 PM
Deodorant or anti-perspirant

My brother swears by some kind of crystal he bought somewhere as a deodorant. He's also fond of Gold Bond powder.

Mike ODonnell
01-15-2007, 05:19 PM
Arm and Hammer deodorant.....anti-perspirants usually have the alluminum

Mike ODonnell
01-15-2007, 05:19 PM
double post...my bad

Ron Nelson
01-16-2007, 12:02 PM
Are you worried that the aluminium will affect your. . .your. . .um. . .what the heck does aluminium affect?

Wait. Memory. Yeah, it affects the memory. Or something like that, I forget.

kevin mckay
01-16-2007, 12:05 PM
I think a few studies linked it to Memory and Alzheimer's

Scotty Hagnas
01-16-2007, 01:26 PM
I use the Thai crystal deodorant. It works. A little spendy at first, but they last forever. It will probably last a good five years.

Scotty Hagnas
CrossFit Portland

kevin mckay
01-17-2007, 12:58 PM
Geez I have tried all that.... I guess I am destined to stink.

Yael Grauer
01-17-2007, 04:56 PM
Kevin, I have the same problem. I can get away with the hippie deodorants (Aubrey's, Nature's Gate, Avallon, Desert Essence, etc.) in the winter but not in the crazy desert summer after my bike ride to work.

There is a deodorant from Israel called Lavlin that I've heard good things about, but other people tell me it irritates their skin and is messy. I've also heard Weleda works well. Try 'em and let us know!!

Brad Hirakawa
01-19-2007, 12:10 PM
From what remember (translation: I might be wrong), aluminum exposure from your armpits is relatively insignificant compared to other routes such as your guts.

Regardless, I'm a deodorant man myself.. don't like the super-dry-pits that come with the anti-perspirants. If I get too stinky during the summers, I take a scientists-shower, which involves some wet wipes (disposed of in biohazard container) and a touch up with the deodorant. :)

Brad

Jamila Bey
01-25-2007, 12:35 PM
www.lush.com Please don't let the fact that it's a very girly site put you off. All of their products are natural or vegan or safe enough to eat. And they work for the funkiest of either gender.

Their Teo deodorant bar is like a big circle of chalk. It smells citrussy and really works. Their aromacreme cream deodorant smells a little flowery, but a man could indeed get away with wearing it.

I have used these products 1st thing in the morning, worked, gone to football practice from 2-4:30, driven to a martial arts class and only changed shirts and worked out from 6-8:30. And nobody knew how dirty I was!

(I don't do that often- it was a weird day, but I think that's a good illustration of Lush deodorants' efficacy.)

Pricey but worth it and safe enough to use on a child.

Pick your location from the flags, go to CLOSEUP then DEODORANTS

And their T for Toes kills foot odor and cured my athlete's foot in just a few applications. Again- all natural ingredients that are safe for you, the environment and the animals you wish to experiment upon!

Robb Wolf
01-25-2007, 03:08 PM
The funny thing about the crystal deodorant is its label states " does not contain aluminum chloride!!!" No, instead it contains something like amonium aluminum sulphate. Point being, it still contains aluminum.

Sugar and stress seem to be biggies for the stink factor. Both release more glucose into the sweat glands and this feeds those fun little bacteria. Brad's recommendation is a good one. Real showers are OK as well.

Yael Grauer
01-25-2007, 07:56 PM
I swear my sweat smelled better when I was vegan.

Jamila Bey
01-26-2007, 12:02 AM
I notice now that I'm eating meat, a really intense workout will leave my clothes smelling of ammonia when I take them out of my gym bag...

Never had that problem when I was sparing the cute animals.

But really, Lush.com. Their stuff is a godsend- to the people who train with me or who are ON the train with me. After I train.

Choo-choo!

Gittit Shwartz
05-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Bump! Any new ideas?

I use the Israeli stuff Yael mentioned (deodorant cream). It does work great but is an antiperspirant and I'm not sure how healthy it is. Looking for an alternative... that actually works.

Marcial Bonifacio
12-06-2010, 08:17 PM
Here's an aluminum-free deodorant (http://www.blackdovenest.com/2010/08/homemade-deodorant-for-high-intensity.html) that you can actually make yourself. Yup, it's inexpensive but, better, it's effective. It's not an antiperspirant, but you won't smell in the gym.