View Full Version : Paleo for Dogs

Jay Cohen
02-25-2009, 08:30 AM
Nice thread going on at the CF boards.

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=43193

w/f/s

Derek Weaver
02-25-2009, 12:03 PM
I thought you had joined us full time Jay? Regardless, it is a nice one. Hadn't been over there in a long while.

Jay Cohen
02-25-2009, 12:36 PM
Derek;

For solid training info, CA boards are my first stop, along with other blogs listed on my blog.
Paleo diet for dogs is spot on, so it pays to cruise other boards, I try not to get caught up in the silly b/s.
All sites have potential for nuggets of wisdom, you just have to dig harder on some vs others.

Scott Clark
02-27-2009, 09:23 AM
I checked out your site no more than 5 minutes ago Jay. My dog's favorite meal is raw chicken and beef topped with a couple of eggs. You're spot on about a shinier coat and cleaner teeth. I've found that feeding her Paleo is in actuality less expensive than dog food (even high end) due to her eating much less now.

Scott Kustes
02-27-2009, 09:57 AM
Oh man, my former dog (ex-wife's current dog) was on the raw chicken backs with a few spoons of veggie slop (lots of veggies blended with some eggs) diet. Her coat was amazing, her doo was small, hard, and broke down quickly (no need to use a pooper scooper in the yard), and she used to run in circles at dinner time on the way to the door. Man was she excited. Teeth were perfect, no plaque or anything, no odors like some of my friend's dogs.

As for cost, I'm with Scott. I paid $28 for a 40lb box of chicken backs that lasted 6-8 weeks. It was funny to watch her cart off the chicken back, lay in the yard with it between her front paws, and just look around like "yeah, b*tch, I killed this meat".

Garrett Smith
02-27-2009, 10:43 AM
Scott,
Two questions.

Where might one come across 40# boxes of chicken backs?

Also, did you guys make up the veggie slop in quantity, or every day? Any recipe hints?

Scott Kustes
02-27-2009, 12:31 PM
I found a local butcher, the only one that would get them for me, and built a relationship with him. He was charging me about $.72/lb I think. They weren't pastured chickens obviously. The raw bones are great for dogs...just don't feed them cooked bones as they can splinter and tear the digestive tract.

I had like 40 disposable containers. I would lay them out, put a chicken back or two (depending on size) into each, then make up a blender of slop and spoon it out into the containers. I'd throw all but 7 (1 feeding per day) into the freezer, then just rotate through them.

Recipe hints: herbs, spices, vegetables, fruit, eggs, liver....all work. I used to mix up spinach, carrots, radishes, celery, cucumbers, whatever extra herbs/spices I had laying about, a dozen eggs, some fish oil, and sometimes liver that I chopped up (don't put it in the blender unless you want to try to unravel liver from your blade...not that I've done that of course). They'll let you know if they don't like what you made by avoiding it and just eating the meat. She used to lick the bowl clean.

Things not to feed: garlic, onions, avocado, grapes, and chocolate. Based on seeing the backyard when I'm there to cut the grass at the house we're trying to sell, the dog is no longer being fed such a diet.

Jay Cohen
02-27-2009, 01:27 PM
Great posts guys, thanks for sharing.

I stopped at the butcher during lunch break, bought 5lbs of Italian Extra spicy sausage, as I'm going to make the biggest honkin Bacon Explosion this weekend.

I'll post pics.

Chow On, Squat More

Jay

Liam Dougherty Springer
02-27-2009, 02:27 PM
I am about to start feeding my cat paleo. The veggie slop recipie looks great! I was just going to start mixing it in with the food she eats now and then slowly work the store bought food out over a few weeks does that sound about right?

George Mounce
02-27-2009, 03:50 PM
I am about to start feeding my cat paleo. The veggie slop recipie looks great! I was just going to start mixing it in with the food she eats now and then slowly work the store bought food out over a few weeks does that sound about right?

One thing about cats, you have to ensure they are getting enough taurine in their diet as they can't make it themselves. Cats are meat eaters - not veggie eaters.

Scott Kustes
03-01-2009, 07:25 AM
Cats shouldn't need much if any veggies. They are carnivores. Dogs on the other hand will eat a bit of vegetation. The veggie slop more closely mimics the half-digested food they'd find in an animal's digestive tract when digging in.

The pup used to love when I'd toss her an apple as a snack too. She could mess with that thing for awhile and eat what she wanted. Whole celery or carrots tended to just become a shredded mess that I had to clean up.

George Mounce
03-01-2009, 07:40 AM
Cats shouldn't need much if any veggies. They are carnivores. Dogs on the other hand will eat a bit of vegetation. The veggie slop more closely mimics the half-digested food they'd find in an animal's digestive tract when digging in.

The pup used to love when I'd toss her an apple as a snack too. She could mess with that thing for awhile and eat what she wanted. Whole celery or carrots tended to just become a shredded mess that I had to clean up.

My dogs adore beef liver, and luckily we can get organic beef liver. Our dogs (I have 3) will eat just about anything other than green veggies. I don't blame them, after all they are dogs!

One thing I will often do is crack a raw egg over their food, they absolutely looooove that!

Patrick Yeung
03-01-2009, 12:08 PM
I dont own any pets (would like to, but time constraints stop me) but, I am appaled as to what many feed their animals. All these corn based diets are making for some fat animals.

But, on the note about what to feed your cats, I found a cool article on Mark's Daily Apple about it.

He goes into ways to introduce such a diet to a cat, timing, and the taurine problem.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/natural-cat-diet/

The Primal cat diet should (roughly, not hard and fast) approach the approximate dimensions of your typical prey animal:

80% Muscle meat (including fat, skin, tendons, sinew, cartilage)
Chicken
Beef
Fish especially oily fish like mackerel, sardines, or herring (which thankfully are a lot cheaper)
Turkey
Ground meat

10% Organ meat, half of which should be liver
Kidneys
Liver
Hearts
Brain
Pancreas

10% Edible bones (as opposed to a huge beef shoulder or something)
Chicken wings
Whole fish with small bones
Chicken/turkey necks and wing tips
Carcasses

Emily Mattes
03-02-2009, 09:53 AM
When I got my cats I wanted to feed them the best possible food so I looked at making my own for a while. I ultimately decided against it as the homemade food diet for cats is a lot more complicated than it is for dogs--you need to ascribe to closer ratios of different types of meat, bone, and organ meat, and even then you should buy vitamin supplements to ensure the cat is getting adequate intake. Dogs don't require near as much attention.

Right now I feed them a high-quality, high-protein wet food--the EVO brand. When we fed them dry food we fed them Orijen, the protein content is something like 70%, double the protein content of supermarket and many prescription cat foods. They were adopted as adults from a rescue organization and their health and energy levels are tremendous compared to when we first got them.

We recommended the brand to a friend of ours whose cats have numerous metabolic issues, including diabetes. Her diabetic cat now doesn't require as many medications and no longer pees outside the box, indicating its blood sugar is getting under control.