PDA

View Full Version : I think you have Orthorexia

Patrick Yeung
02-26-2009, 06:26 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/26/health/nutrition/26food.html?ref=health (wfs)

Dr. Steven Bratman of Denver has come up with a term to describe people obsessed with health food: orthorexia. Orthorexic patients, he says, are fixated on “righteous eating” (the word stems from the Greek word ortho, meaning straight and correct).

“I would tell them, ‘You’re addicted to health food.’ It was my way of having them not take themselves so seriously,” said Dr. Bratman, who published a book on the subject, “Health Food Junkies,” in 2001.

Angelique A. Sallas, a clinical psychologist in Chicago, says the idea of a “health food disorder” is practically meaningless. “I don’t think the symptoms are significantly different enough from bulimia or anorexia that it deserves a special diagnostic category,” Dr. Sallas said. “It’s an obsessive-compulsive problem. The object of the obsession is less relevant than the fact that they are engaging in obsessive behavior.”

Lawl.... I think many of us suffer from this. Especially anyone whos reading and responding to this.

George Mounce
02-26-2009, 06:44 PM
I just put MSG on my stir fry. I definitely am not one of those.

Garrett Smith
02-27-2009, 04:11 AM
I wonder at what point this is said to begin at, and who determined that.

If one doesn't try to find/secure healthy foods these days, then they almost get unhealthy food by default.

Next thing you know, people will be diagnosed with "pharmaphobia"--the unjustifiable fear of taking pharmaceuticals for their condition.

Gavin Harrison
02-27-2009, 11:03 AM
So eating healthy and living a healthy lifestyle is now a "condition" and/or psychological disorder? How about that..

Dave Van Skike
02-27-2009, 11:23 AM
I buy it.

I have always felt veganism was a mental illness so why not the paleo freaks.

Scott Kustes
02-27-2009, 12:33 PM
Paleo doesn't support the GDP. It has to be an illness.

Mike ODonnell
02-27-2009, 01:34 PM
I drink beer....I'm safe.

Emily Mattes
02-28-2009, 02:28 PM
The difference between orthorexia and healthy eating is like the difference between anorexia and losing weight or bigorexia and trying to put on a few pounds of muscle. Nobody would argue that losing weight, adding muscle, or eating healthy are inherently bad things. It's when you take them to extremes, to the point where they psychologically consume you and negatively affect other facets of your life like family, friends, work, health, etc that it becomes a problem.

Having just a bite of your daughter's wedding cake and choosing the salad over the pasta is healthy eating. Skipping your daughter's wedding entirely because she wouldn't tailor the reception dinner to your eating needs and you're angry that you might intake more that 50 grams of carbs that day is orthorexia.

A six-year-old who knows that it is better to have a piece of fruit than a piece of candy is a six-year-old who is being taught healthy eating habits. A six-year-old who has a panic attack when confronted with a piece of birthday cake because he's worried about the sugar content is being taught an extremely unhealthy relationship with food.

Moderation with everything, you know?

Dave Van Skike
02-28-2009, 03:17 PM
Moderation with everything, you know?

sounds good... but is moderation paleo?

George Mounce
02-28-2009, 03:43 PM
I buy it.

I have always felt veganism was a mental illness so why not the paleo freaks.

Yes because choosing either of those makes you a "freak", and eating total garbage makes you "normal".

So its "normal" to kill yourself through food, but its "freakish" to eat healthy food.

Sounds almost like a political debate I once heard...:p

Also read the article Dave, that dudes ideas on what "healthy" are, are kind of ridiculous.

Dave Van Skike
02-28-2009, 04:41 PM
I see.

I certainly hope this orthorexia isn't communicable...there's a lot going around.

Patrick Yeung
02-28-2009, 06:45 PM
Well, the biggest thing was that it was the guilt factor I think. It goes to talk about a 5 year old who would not eat an oreo because of the trans fat, and people feeling as if processed foods, and sugars were inherently evil.

Its when they took it to an extreme that it became an obesession. I was only kidding when saying we were suffering from something like this. Its more for those who have taken it to OCD proportions.

Mike ODonnell
03-01-2009, 11:25 AM
If someone wants to avoid sugars and processed foods for life....more power to them, their life to live how they want. If someone is upset because someone else doesn't want their brownies or girl scout cookies...they can get over it.

Gant Grimes
03-02-2009, 02:55 PM
If someone is upset because someone else doesn't want their brownies or girl scout cookies...they can get over it.

Hopefully they will forward me their boxes of Thin Mints before going over the edge.

DVS has a good point about putting Paleo people in the same camp as vegans (in some cases). I don't have a problem with anyone's dietary preferences as long as they don't hassle me about mine. However, I find myself much more tolerant of the group that consumes lots of meat and bacon than I do the leaf-eaters. I'm shallow that way.

I enjoy biscuits, gravy, mashed potatoes, and chicken fried steak too much to ever go straight Paleo. I can't trust a man who doesn't like CFS.

Scott Kustes
03-03-2009, 11:17 AM
Gant, perhaps that's because there isn't a seriously vocal, militant contingent of Paleo eaters. Passionate, yes. But most of us keep to ourselves and are attacked for our eating habits as weirdos far more than we give our 2 cents on other people's habits. Frankly, I worry about myself, not what my coworkers are eating. But they sure worry about what I eat and when I eat, only a couple of them in a respectful manner.

Enrique Billington
03-03-2009, 12:32 PM
This is a serious disease. Every time I meet someone with it I get the urge to strangle them, so it's a mental disorder by proxy, infectious sociopathy. It's one thing to have a diet plan, it's another to be a vegan. They are the most pretentious people in the world. I believe that veganism it self, or eating vegetables period is a mental disorder. This is perverted behavior. No one likes vegetables from the get go, man is not mean to eat them, so cultures and people that have forced themselves to eat them are the most perverted and they must undergo involuntary behavioral correction, and stimulation if necessary.

Gant Grimes
03-03-2009, 01:33 PM
I believe that veganism it self, or eating vegetables period is a mental disorder.

Not bad.

Arien Malec
03-03-2009, 01:40 PM
No one likes vegetables from the get go, man is not mean to eat them, so cultures and people that have forced themselves to eat them are the most perverted and they must undergo involuntary behavioral correction, and stimulation if necessary.

Forced sterilization for anyone who eats, has eaten, or thinks about eating vegetables.

Enrique Billington
03-03-2009, 02:26 PM
^ And this is why I call cathletics my second home.

Dave Van Skike
03-03-2009, 03:31 PM
Forced sterilization for anyone who eats, has eaten, or thinks about eating vegetables.

This is a good start.

Mike ODonnell
03-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Meat eaters would miss vegans.....who else can they pick on?

Anyone can make their own choices...I don't really care, not my body to worry about...it's when they "force" themselves upon others as the only way to eat that becomes annoying.

100% low carb camp could be put in with the Paleo and Vegans as well.....well just the loud annoying ones that is.

Dave Van Skike
03-03-2009, 04:15 PM
Meat eaters would miss vegans.....who else can they pick on?

smokers......oh wait. most vegans are smokers so we'd lose a bunch right there.

Patrick Yeung
03-03-2009, 04:21 PM
Wow, this turned into a flamming thread....

I dont knock vegans, or vegeterians, or whatever they want to be. THey all have their place, and do different things. We are a crowd that is more interested in strength gains and many are looking for low BF and increased power to weight ratio.

When I was an endurance athlete, my diet slowly became more and more vegan, to the point where I was eating about 80%+ raw vegan, without even realizing it. I was making awesome gains, and felt great. I exceled at my sport, and all my blood work/body composition was in 'perfect order' according to my doctor.

Now, this happened for numerous reasons. I was, and still am, a strong supporter of enviornmental conservatism. Vegetables are a much more earth friendly source of nutrients than meat, especially when compared to the commercial farming sorts. I was buying organic, local and what I could find, and afford, was mostly vegetables and fruit.

I know people who sacraficed meat to be more earth friendly, like riding bikes/walking when we could drive, or buying recycled/used materials when we could buy new.

Its really all in the reasons why they are doing it. Those that are doing it because its trendy are doing it all for the wrong reasons. Feel free to make fun of them, just dont group em all together.

But, yeah... I eat lots of meat now. Its all organic and free range, but ive also got a better job too.

Enrique Billington
03-03-2009, 05:39 PM
It's actually not true that vegetation is easier on the environment. Crop dusting, the machinery used to uproot and plant vegetables/seeds, their transport by the tons across the continents/open seas, as well as the water and the pesticides (most of what people call organic isn't) all cost far, far more than it does to raise a chicken for a few weeks and cut it's sorry ass head off.

Enrique Billington
03-03-2009, 05:40 PM
This is a good start.
http://www.grassmere-animal-hospital.com/images/Neuter%20prep%20rm.jpg

Patrick Yeung
03-03-2009, 05:53 PM
It's actually not true that vegetation is easier on the environment. Crop dusting, the machinery used to uproot and plant vegetables/seeds, their transport by the tons across the continents/open seas, as well as the water and the pesticides (most of what people call organic isn't) all cost far, far more than it does to raise a chicken for a few weeks and cut it's sorry ass head off.

Well, youre right, same reason why I stopped eating so much meat at the time.

Industrial farms, raping their land to get every last ounce of energy out of it, while pumping it full of chemical sprays and gasses, are what I beleive to be the most dangerous threat to our enviornment. And, when you factor in that, beef, pork, chicken etc, are raised on these industrially produced crops, they are no better. And, looking at an energy pyramid, you can see that it is not as efficent a source of energy as well.

To get the same amount of calories from grain compared to from meat takes a lot more energy. Now, im not saying that an all grain diet or however you may want to twist it around is best, just that eating vegetables is more enviornemntally friendly.

I personally have a hydroponic garden in my backyard, and plan on expanding it further to feed others as well. No wasted water, no chemicals, no damage to my enviornemtn.

Still trying to convince my parents to let me put chicken's at their house, they dont allow them here.

Enrique Billington
03-03-2009, 06:02 PM
Good points, I forgot about home gardening, that would definitely be environmentally friendly and truly organic.

Gavin Harrison
03-04-2009, 01:07 AM
Well, youre right, same reason why I stopped eating so much meat at the time.

Industrial farms, raping their land to get every last ounce of energy out of it, while pumping it full of chemical sprays and gasses, are what I beleive to be the most dangerous threat to our enviornment. And, when you factor in that, beef, pork, chicken etc, are raised on these industrially produced crops, they are no better. And, looking at an energy pyramid, you can see that it is not as efficent a source of energy as well.

To get the same amount of calories from grain compared to from meat takes a lot more energy. Now, im not saying that an all grain diet or however you may want to twist it around is best, just that eating vegetables is more enviornemntally friendly.

I personally have a hydroponic garden in my backyard, and plan on expanding it further to feed others as well. No wasted water, no chemicals, no damage to my enviornemtn.

Still trying to convince my parents to let me put chicken's at their house, they dont allow them here.

I'm not nay saying any of what you're saying, necessarily... but you can grow cows and goats in places you can't grow veggies and grains, and you can grow fish in places you can't really grow much else...

Dave Van Skike
03-04-2009, 10:01 AM
as much as I despise agribiz...there are some gross misunderstandings of the metrics of food production i.e: animal husbandry, feed cycles, airable acreage and crop rotation going on up in here.

Patrick Yeung
03-04-2009, 11:43 AM
Oh, im definetly painting a "worst case scenerio" out there.

Here is where I want to take my gardening in the end - Aquaponics: Hydroponics + Aquculture. To sum it up, its pretty much a contained nitrogen cycle. Plants filter water that is pumped into tanks of fish, who produce waste, which feed the plants. There are a lot of other factors, but thats the idea.

http://www.growseed.org/aquaponics.html (wfs) - gives you an idea