PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Core Exercise

Josh Whiting
01-17-2007, 01:30 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dehwang/330008350/in/photostream/

Ron Nelson
01-17-2007, 02:28 PM
I'm sticking with my ab wheel for now, thanks.

Josh Whiting
01-17-2007, 03:03 PM
I'm sticking with my ab wheel for now, thanks.

Fair enough. I thought it was interesting though because you are straining in the opposite way to most core exercises, including the ab wheel.

Greg Everett
01-17-2007, 05:13 PM
righteous. i'm stealing that one.

Mike ODonnell
01-17-2007, 06:17 PM
I would think it's more hip extension than Core.....

Allen Yeh
01-18-2007, 05:43 AM
So you just hold it until the weight pile drives you into the floor?

Josh Whiting
01-18-2007, 05:48 AM
Not sure really, I'm going to try it on Saturday and I will probably stop when form deteriorates.

Robb Wolf
01-18-2007, 07:18 AM
I just want a cup for that one! Looks burly...is that 50kg?

Jeremy Jones
01-18-2007, 02:52 PM
I love how he is just casually checking his watch.

It is like he is saying "oh, it has been that long! I must have fallen asleep."

He also has calves on top of his shins.

I always thought your "Core", technically includes your lower back muscles also. Your entire trunk actually.

I won't get to try this one until my back gets better.

Robb Wolf
01-18-2007, 05:42 PM
We have been doing a load of plank holds with our folks...weight on elbows and toes, body rigid. that very simply looking move busts people up. Try a set of Tabatas with that, loads-o-fun.

Regarding "core training" Greg told me it was anything that involved listening to Hank Rollins. it's got nothing to do with abs OR back.

Greg Everett
01-18-2007, 05:47 PM
Regarding "core training" Greg told me it was anything that involved listening to Hank Rollins. it's got nothing to do with abs OR back.

to be fair, it needs to be hank rollins pre-2000 or so. I can't believe I'm admitting it, but dude has lost his edge. hard to stay pissed off for 40+ years, I guess. Although I'm pretty sure Nietzche did it.

Steve Shafley
01-18-2007, 07:36 PM
I haven't bothered to listen to anything after "Weight"

Mark Fenner
01-18-2007, 07:39 PM

Simple, practical definition of core training: anything that promotes the transmission of force from legs to arms (and vice-versa). So, for me, the core includes shoulders, glutes, and hip flexors.

Regards,
Mark

Robb Wolf
01-19-2007, 07:03 AM
Simple, practical definition of core training: anything that promotes the transmission of force from legs to arms (and vice-versa). So, for me, the core includes shoulders, glutes, and hip flexors.

Regards,
Mark

Ok Mark, there you go getting all "sciency"...where will a tight, technical defeniton get us!

Good stuff. I think if we pestered Coach Sommer on this topic he would have a similar opinion to you Mark, with the possible expansion of the "core" extending from the earlobes down to the toes. Gymnastics tight is TIGHT!