PDA

View Full Version : Business Trip - Exercise Brainstorming

Brian Lawyer
03-02-2009, 08:29 AM
Hey Guys,
I am making preparations for a two week business trip starting March 16. I just wanted to brainstorm with you guys how I should work my training program around this. Here is what I have so far:

1. I am going to hit my training real hard this week and next so that the business trip can be somewhat of a "back of" weeks in my cycle.

2. I am coming home over the weekend, so I was going to do a snatch and CJ workout the saturday in the middle of the two weeks.

3. I am going to probably do some crossfit style bodyweight workouts from the hotel. I'd like to work on some pistols and hand stand pushups. Ideally some pullups mixed in with those two exercises would be perfect. Unforunately, it is usually harder than you think to find a good pull up bar around a hotel.

4. Running?? - what do you guys think about a 5k or something. Will that do more harm than good to my O'Lifting program.

5. Flexibility training - I'll definitly work in some good AIS stretching and stuff while in the hotel room.

Gant Grimes
03-02-2009, 09:04 AM
Will you be driving or flying? I take a KB with me on the road. If I'm flying, I take my rope. I actually look forward to doing some different types of training.

Plan ahead. Scout some hotels with fitness centers or parks nearby. Request a room on the first floor so you can crash and not piss anyone off. You can't do OLY specific stuff at most hotels, but you can make good use of DBs and plyo exercises. And, as you said, you get to spend some time developing gymnastics skills.

Running won't kill your OLY. Just opt for more sprints instead of doing a 10K every day. Or do a 10K. Whatever you like.

Tabatas travel well.

There's usually at least one staircase that you can do pullups on. Or a tree.

Wooden chairs are great for dips. And handstands. Unfortunately some hotels are moving towards those crappy Herman Miller knockoffs.

If you're ever in a pinch, buy a couple gallons of water from the grocery store. 7 pounds a piece gets pretty heavy doing static holds.

Derek Simonds
03-02-2009, 09:32 AM
Gant gave you some great advice. Here is the biggest piece of advice I have. Always workout in the morning on business trips. It is amazing to me how screwed up the evenings can get when you are out of town on business.

As a road warrior who flies everywhere it is pretty simple for me. I scout out where I am going in advance and plan my workouts around what is available. Most hotels have crappy exercise rooms but if you ask nicely they will normally get you setup with a local globogym.

One other cool thing is depending on where you are traveling you might be able to train at a USAW affiliated gym or a local Crossfit affiliate. I have had success with both of those in the past.

During the week I train strength with short metcons and on the weekend I throw in my Olympic lifting at the home gym. If you have access to a gym you could make it a strength focus 3 days each week and get one day of Olympic lifting in on the weekend.

Enjoy it and whatever happens don't worry too much about it.

Brian Lawyer
03-02-2009, 11:56 AM
I am with Grant as far as looking forward to different kind of training on the trip. It is a good break from routine. LIke I noted above I have a general outline of things I want to work on while on the trip. Also, the point about morning workouts is very true. If I can find a decent place for Pullups, I would probably just make up my own workout of Pullups, HSPU's (BTW, I do them against a wall), and pistols. I'd probably just repeat that routine twice each week.

I am flying to New Orleans and staying in Sliddell which is about 30 - 45 minutes outside of New Orleans proper. So even if I could find a USAW or Crossfit gym in the area I wouldn't have time to drive to NO to work out.

Sliddell has one globo gym. It is not a national chain. From what I recall it is just called "Sliddell Fitness" or something generic like that. I stopped by on my trip last year to see if they sold Myoplex or some kind of protein drink and they didn't sell anything. So I wasn't real impressed.

Gant Grimes
03-02-2009, 12:05 PM
Derek has a good point about AM workouts. I'm usually into some steak and hops by the evening, regardless of any workout plans.

This place looks just fine.

http://www.slidellathleticclub.com/facility.htm

Derek Simonds
03-02-2009, 12:50 PM
Ok well now that I know it is Slidell that changes everything. You HAVE to workout in the morning since you are so close to the big easy..... I have spent many many nights in that neck of the woods.

It sounds like you are dialed in. Did you check to see if the hotel had DB's where you are staying? Coach Rut always has some great short met-cons with DB's on his site.

glennpendlay
03-02-2009, 01:30 PM
Before Katrina, Slidell had a place called Aunty May's that had the best food in the universe. Was a woman that opened her living room up over lunch each day, brought out some tables and chairs, and served gumbo and crayfish pie. best thing in the world i have ever eaten. you might check into it. I ate there about a week before Katrina hit.

glenn

Brian Lawyer
03-02-2009, 01:56 PM
Before Katrina, Slidell had a place called Aunty May's that had the best food in the universe. Was a woman that opened her living room up over lunch each day, brought out some tables and chairs, and served gumbo and crayfish pie. best thing in the world i have ever eaten. you might check into it. I ate there about a week before Katrina hit.

glenn

Yet another reason why evening workouts don't work well on business trips - too busy trying to find a good restaurant we want to eat at on our expense account. Another reason is I am too stuffed after eating at said restaurant.

Brian Lawyer
03-02-2009, 01:57 PM
This place looks just fine.

http://www.slidellathleticclub.com/facility.htm

That is the one global in Slidell I was referring to.

Brian Lawyer
03-03-2009, 08:43 AM
Do you guys have any recomendations for a good bodyweight exercise book or perhaps gymnastics book?

I have a pretty good fitness library of books and have been meaning to add a body weight exercise resource or gymnastics book to it. This business trip could be a good excuse to get a new book for my library. Here is a couple titles I had considered in the past:

Coach Somers, Gymnastics Bodies
Brad Johnson, Bodyweight Exercises for Extraordinary Strength (ironmind publication)

Or maybe it is just a waste of money since I already know the three exercises I want to work on, Pistols, HSPU's, and PU's.

Gant Grimes
03-03-2009, 09:00 AM
Never Gymless by Ross E.

There's also a BW WOD list out there compiled by Eva T.

I haven't read Somers book, but most of his videos require apparatus, at least rings.

Brian Lawyer
03-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Never Gymless by Ross E.

Never Gymless appears to be the resource I am looking for. Thanks Gant! It's nice to have a community of health freaks and workout nerds just like me to talk to. I especially like CA because you guys aren't a bunch of pansies like the Crossfitters....haha.

josh everett
03-03-2009, 12:03 PM
last time I was stuck with no wt room access i did this...
down & back along the hotel parking lot (I'd guess total distance was about 200m) 5 pistols each leg, 5 HSPU on a retaining wall... rounds in 20 min.
during that week i did this 2x... and then twice that week found a hill about 40m and sprinted up, walked down,,, repeat for 20min.

Derek Simonds
03-03-2009, 12:20 PM
Leo just updated his blog with two new pieces one is a travel workout

http://www.crossfitevolution.com/travel-wods/

Here is a BW PDF. I don't know where the PDF came from but I know Leo put the travel workouts together.

http://www.crossfitevolution.com/bodyweight-wods/

Another great resource.

Enrique Billington
03-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Depth jumps. 4x10 from knee height, monday wed. and friday.

Brian Lawyer
03-03-2009, 12:56 PM
down & back along the hotel parking lot (I'd guess total distance was about 200m) 5 pistols each leg, 5 HSPU on a retaining wall... rounds in 20 min.
during that week i did this 2x
Josh, Maybe I should just save the $30 I would spend on Never Gymless because basically your metcon covers what I wanted to do. I could interchange HSPU's with DHPU's and do pistols on each day. I was thinking I wanted to bring a jump rope and work on my DU's, so maybe I would sub that for the sprints.

I know I can do 5 HSPU's forehead to ground on a wall. not sure if I can do five after like the third round.... Not sure about pistols yet but I am pretty sure I can do the kind where you get a rocking start from your butt....

Here is a BW PDF. I don't know where the PDF came from but I know Leo put the travel workouts together.

http://www.crossfitevolution.com/bodyweight-wods/

Derek, I have that BW workout list, except I have version 1.5 and I see that is 1.0. You got to have hook ups like me....haha. Seriously, I got it from Crossfit's forum.

Brian Lawyer
03-03-2009, 01:10 PM
Here you guys go. I put something in writing to kick around amongst us. This is my two week training regimine for the "Mary" CF WOD. This is open for discussion. Please provide feedback.

Week 1
Tuesday Morning
As many rounds in 20 minutes of:
200m sprint or 40 DU’s
5 HSPU’s or 10 PU’s
5 Pistols each leg

Thursday morning
200m sprint or 40 DU’s
5 HSPU’s or 10 PU’s
5 Pistols each leg

Saturday
Back home for Snatches and CJ's in my garage.

Week 2
Tuesday Morning
200m sprint or 40 DU’s
5 HSPU’s or 10 PU’s
5 Pistols each leg

Thursday Morning
Mary
As many rounds as possible in 20 minutes of:
5 handstand pushups
10 1 legged squats
15 pullups

Question for any Crossfitters out there, 10 1 legged squats means 10 on each leg correct? I know cross fit is always very literal in there descriptions so they could mean 10 as in 5 each leg...

Sam Nutt
03-03-2009, 01:29 PM
Looking at this demo, it appears as if it's 10 total (i.e. 5 per leg):

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_MillerDoesMaryAt7000.mov

Brian Lawyer
03-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Looking at this demo, it appears as if it's 10 total (i.e. 5 per leg):

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_MillerDoesMaryAt7000.mov

Thanks for doing the research Sam! I was afraid in my outline above I would need to progress on the second or third workout days to 10 pistols per leg. But since mary is the same, 5 per leg (10 total) I don't think I need to adjust.

Andy Robinson
03-05-2009, 07:40 AM
Brian...whatever you do, still get Ross E.'s "Never Gymless" and/or "Infinite Intensity"...that guy rules it. Totally straight forward, no BS.

Brian Lawyer
03-17-2009, 08:08 PM
Today was my first on the road workout. I decided to do an as many rounds in 20 minutes of 5 HSPU's, 10 pistols (5 each leg), and 10 DHPU's. I do HSPU's with my back against a wall, not freestanding. Surprisingly, the pistols were the easiest for me. Other than losing balance on the way up a couple times Pistols were really easy. HSPU's on the other hand were a beating. I have no strength in the bottom of HSPU's or standing Press for that matter. Most likely due to all the Jerks and Push Presses I do for Olympic lifting I never work that bottom range of motion. Some day I need to just load a barbell and only work the range of motion from my shoulders to my forehead on a standing press. Anyways, see my workout log below:

I did 5 rounds total in 20 minutes. It went like this:
Round 1 - as prescribed with forehead to ground on the HSPU's.
Round 2 - as prescribed except only 4 HSPU's forehead to ground.
Round 3 - I put a folded up towel about the size of an abmat on the ground for HSPU's and went forehead to towel. Completed Prescribed reps.
Round 4 and 5 same as round 3. I think I ended up about 2 pullups short on the last round.

Brian Lawyer
03-17-2009, 08:14 PM
Here is a funny side note. The reason I found out I have no bottom range of motion on the HSPU's was because I got this cheap pull up bar at Wal-mart that hooks on a door frame. Hence the reason I am doing 10 DHPU's and not 15 Kippings. Anyways, when you lay it flat on the ground it's like this elevated thing kind of like a parallete. So I was all psyched up about my work out. I was thinking, "yeh I am going to pop off HSPU's on this thing like it was parallettes and get a full ROM going on". Turns out I couldn't even do one dam HSPU up on that thing. Yet, as noted above, when I got rid of hit and decreased the ROM to forehead to ground or to towel I could pop off 5 in a row.

As Olympic lifters do we even give a crap about that bottom range of motion?

Garrett Smith
03-17-2009, 09:41 PM
As Olympic lifters do we even give a crap about that bottom range of motion?
Brian, here's my two cents on that. My jerk is definitely my limiting factor on the C&J. I can jerk 105kg and standing press ~70kg, I weigh about 82kg.

I can't get out of the deep parallette bottom position of a HSPU, as you noted. I would guess that more strength in the bottom position of a jerk/HSPU would only help to increase the initial velocity of the bar in combination with the leg drive. I do plan on more full ROM HSPUs and standing presses to help with my jerks, I expect it to help.

Adolfo Riveron
03-17-2009, 10:18 PM
I'm gymless at home during spring break. I have homemade rings to work on gymnastics and today i just knocked out that sprint 8 thing but i scaled it down to 6 rounds as i wanna be fresh for golf tomorrow. I also have the pdf downloaded with eva's list and its very helpful. I hope the week away from the gym doesnt kill the linear progression i was making in the slow lifts along with the oly progress. Oh well, will just have to work harder when i get back to it.

Brian Stone
03-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Today was my first on the road workout. I decided to do an as many rounds in 20 minutes of 5 HSPU's, 10 pistols (5 each leg), and 10 DHPU's. I do HSPU's with my back against a wall, not freestanding. Surprisingly, the pistols were the easiest for me. Other than losing balance on the way up a couple times Pistols were really easy. HSPU's on the other hand were a beating. I have no strength in the bottom of HSPU's or standing Press for that matter. Most likely due to all the Jerks and Push Presses I do for Olympic lifting I never work that bottom range of motion. Some day I need to just load a barbell and only work the range of motion from my shoulders to my forehead on a standing press. Anyways, see my workout log below:

I did 5 rounds total in 20 minutes. It went like this:
Round 1 - as prescribed with forehead to ground on the HSPU's.
Round 2 - as prescribed except only 4 HSPU's forehead to ground.
Round 3 - I put a folded up towel about the size of an abmat on the ground for HSPU's and went forehead to towel. Completed Prescribed reps.
Round 4 and 5 same as round 3. I think I ended up about 2 pullups short on the last round.

I ratify this workout.

Seriously, well done. That's hard stuff and a better gymless workout than most ppl get in a health club. By far.