PDA

View Full Version : Running shoes vs boots

Brandon Enos
03-03-2009, 07:36 AM
For somebody looking into entering or already in law enforcement or the military or fire fighting or the like, and uses the POSE method of running (negating the need to cushioned heels) would it be a good idea to do training runs in boots, or just stick to running shoes? Are there any positives and negatives to consider?

Matt Cricchio
03-03-2009, 10:19 AM
What kind of boot are you looking at?

Brandon Enos
03-03-2009, 11:16 AM
These are the tactical boots I currently have, use them for work as an EMT.

http://www.511tactical.com/browse/Home/Law-Enforcement/Boots/8-Boots/XPRT-Tactical-Boot-8-Boot/D/30100/P/1:100:10000:10700:10703/I/12201

I have run in them before, and they are comfortable, just havent used them in a workout scenario (sprinting or LSD).

One thing Ive always heard is that it can make shin splints much more likely. However, everyone Ive always heard this recommends landing on your heel while running. I think the problem could be combated since Im running on the balls of my feet, but Idk, Im far from super knowledgeable in the subject.

Enrique Billington
03-03-2009, 12:06 PM
Boots are nothing more than increased weight and thus a greater cumulative amount of force put on your legs, which would increase the risk of injury no doubt. Stick with running shoes.

Matt Cricchio
03-03-2009, 02:12 PM
I don't know anything about POSE but I have run a lot in boots for various distances, times, terrain etc. Tactical boots like that are just big running shoes. I've run in Bates 922's (which have no where near the padding of those) and I had little problems. I've noticed that dudes with a history of lifting or high impact stuff (anything but being a soley endurance athlete or a body builder) had no problems with shin splits. Plus, you already know you have to work into this kind of stuff gradualy.