PDA

View Full Version : Relative strength rant

Enrique Billington
03-03-2009, 01:13 PM
What's sad is that most people only regard one aspect of relative strength, bodyweight-to-weight lifted ratio. People at a lighter bodyweight are often at an advantage has they have less bodymass to move with and typically a shorter height necessary to lift the barbell. Hossein Rezazadeh could never CJ triple bodyweight however when you factor in his bodymass of over 135kg, a lot of which is bodyfat, his achievements are just as impressive. Another form of relative strength is weight lifted-to-height. Suleymanoglu only has to pull the bar to Hossein's lower thigh to clean it. The Bulgarian SHW snatching +200kg at Athens, at a height of 6'9" is more impressive than a triple bodyweight CJ. Think about it, he has to take that barbell from the floor to more than eight feet in the air in less than one second, and at such a massive bodyweight. Yet no one takes in to account this relative strength.

So that's my rant.

Patrick Yeung
03-03-2009, 04:08 PM
Are you tall?

glennpendlay
03-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Not sure if hes tall, but im fat, and think that the whole concept of "relative strength" is an evil conspiracy.

Brian DeGennaro
03-03-2009, 04:58 PM
Just some plot to make sure people appreciate the smaller/"weaker" guys, Glenn? Lol.

Arien Malec
03-03-2009, 05:15 PM
Not sure if hes tall, but im fat, and think that the whole concept of "relative strength" is an evil conspiracy.

I think I'd take you, rather than Suleymanoglu, to a fight.

Enrique Billington
03-03-2009, 05:21 PM
I'm short and skinny, 5'7" 140ibs.

Enrique Billington
03-03-2009, 05:27 PM
I'd like to add, when they get around to fixing the sad sport of weightlifting, such as decriminalizing oscilation of the bar in the jerk, the press-out rule and the elbow touch, I hope they will also reform the sinclair system, tie on bodyweight, as well as the weighing system, so that they all take in to account not just weight but height, limb length and cross-sectional area of the muscle. Then people could talk about relative strength, rather than this affirmative action.

Kevin Perry
03-03-2009, 06:20 PM
I'm short and skinny, 5'7" 140ibs.

If you're short than Brian and I are midgets. Although Brian is a rather strong Midget at that.

Enrique Billington
03-03-2009, 06:21 PM
A ha ha, I'm being somewhat sarcastic, we're all tall by Olympic lifting standards. :P

Steven Low
03-03-2009, 06:22 PM
Who cares?

Both are impressive.

You won't really find any biases against one or the other here.... although most people have their preferences on which one they like better.

Arden Cogar Jr.
03-03-2009, 06:27 PM

Agreed. It's a conspiracy. "King Kong" would be soooo easy if it weren't for those damn muscle ups. :D

All the best,
Arden

Mike ODonnell
03-03-2009, 07:08 PM
They make bar stools for all sizes and a beer is only a few lbs....that's enough relative strength.

Gavin Harrison
03-03-2009, 10:24 PM
Who cares?

Both are impressive.

You won't really find any biases against one or the other here.... although most people have their preferences on which one they like better.

I think they're both impressive, and I like both.. I just will never be considered "strong" by any standard unless I'm pretty heavy, because I'm 6' tall, and have long legs in particular, so hoping to be "relatively strong" is pretty much right out for me. ;)

glennpendlay
03-03-2009, 10:47 PM
Arden,

Your absolutely, and completely correct. That and other workouts would be a joke, if you just took out that pesky move your own bodyweight crap. Why do I need to move my own bodyweight in a workout? I move it everyday, walking from place to place. My truck moves my bodyweight just fine from place to place, or even city to city. Planes move my bodyweight from country to country. Why should I have to do it? Just seems ineffecient. I want to move weight, weight other than my own fat ass.

and Brian,

What you do is incred. absolutely. Thats the sort of stuff I like to watch on TV. People doing stuff I could never do. Gymnastics and guys running the 100 meters in less than 10 seconds captivates me. All the respect in the world to you.

But, in the end, it makes me happy to go to bed knowiing I can curl, press, and throw for a long distance, a weight that is heavier than you!!! :)

Love ya Brian, honestly. I could never do what you do... all the better reason for me to devalue it...

glenn