PDA

View Full Version : depth on jumping squat

sollo rick
03-05-2009, 10:27 PM
I really want to thank whoever posted the video of Aimee doing those jumping squats. She did about 10 kg jumps in rest pause sets of 3, got that. But what depth should I squat to? How do I gauge depth in such a high squat? What else can I do to increase my vertical jump? I have been doing a set of 10 light squats followed by 10 jumps in various types of squat-lunge and jump patterns, an idea stolen from a Swiss shot putter on youtube. My vertical jump is about that of a snail, ideas welcome.

Alex Bond
03-06-2009, 08:44 AM
Have you heard of Kelly Blaggett's Vertical Jump Bible? It is like a $30 book but if you really want to get better I am sure it would help you. It has programs and exercises for quite a few difficulty levels and needs.

As to what you could do now, I would just do basics - depth drops off a box, depth jumps off a box (3 sets of 2 of each?), and leave the lunge and jump patterns for when you're a more advanced trainee. It's easy to overtrain with plyometrics, so it might feel easier than it really is at first, then you can ramp it up some.

Steven Low
03-06-2009, 09:40 AM
I send Kelly Baggett's VJB. Dude knows his stuff.

sollo rick
03-07-2009, 01:33 AM
i will get it
any thoughts on squat depth

Brian Stone
03-07-2009, 06:29 AM
i will get it
any thoughts on squat depth

I'm could not say as far as for building jump explosiveness specifically, but in the vid below Coach Bergener prescribes full depth. If your primary concern out of doing this is to build a higher jump, I don't think the depth of the squat beyond a certain point is entirely important. However, as a general exercise and to get maximum overall athletic results from the movement, I would suggest that the full squat depth is best all around.

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_BurgJumpingSquatsMR.wmv

Greg Everett
03-07-2009, 10:07 AM
Approx quarter squat depth. A simple way to think of it is the amount of knee bend you'd have in either the beginning of the second pull of the sn or cln, or preparing for a vertical jump.

Patrick Yeung
03-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Yeah, I put the safety bars about where the bar would be just below quarter squat. I slowly lift it off the bars, then as you get into quarter squat, explode. I then just try and control the fall enough to try not to hit it too hard on the bars.

This has saved my back and knees from having to catch the falling weight, and I think it mimicks a jump far better.

sollo rick
03-08-2009, 05:23 PM
In an unrelated matter
Do you feel
Single leg dead lifts in particular and unilateral work in general has value?
For a healthy uninjured person

Steven Low
03-08-2009, 07:14 PM
In an unrelated matter
Do you feel
Single leg dead lifts in particular and unilateral work in general has value?
For a healthy uninjured person
Definitely.

But if you're chasing performance it may be sport specific. For example, high jumpers need A LOT of power off one leg.

For general strength and such pistols with weight are an interesting measurement in themselves.