PDA

View Full Version : Corny's log and stuff

Matthew Bacorn
03-10-2009, 02:38 PM
I'm gonna start keepin a log here

Im a few weeks into starting strength now, just gonna keep riding my novice gains for awhile

Where I started:
5'11'', 159 lbs, 18 yo
Squat: 95
Press: 55
DL: 135
Dips: 3x5
Chins: 3x5
note: weights intentionally low, focusing on technique at first

Where I am today:
Squat: 165
Press: 70
DL: 195
SU: 10x3x10

Im doing the Wunsler program, with dips instead of bench and i added sit-ups on A day. I just had to go and F--- with the program, didn't I?

The squats are starting to get hard, but i think its more of a mental tax than a physical one. In the last two sets, the fourth rep was the slowest/sloppiest, with the fifth going up fine.

Dave's thread inspired me, there's a 3 lb briket braising in the oven right now. That things going down tonight.

George Mounce
03-10-2009, 04:59 PM
I'm gonna start keepin a log here

Im a few weeks into starting strength now, just gonna keep riding my novice gains for awhile

Press: 70
DL: 195
SU: 10x3x10

Im doing the Wunsler program, with dips instead of bench and i added sit-ups on A day. I just had to go and F--- with the program, didn't I?

The squats are starting to get hard, but i think its more of a mental tax than a physical one. In the last two sets, the fourth rep was the slowest/sloppiest, with the fifth going up fine.

Dave's thread inspired me, there's a 3 lb briket braising in the oven right now. That things going down tonight..

Hello to your log! Edit your first post to tell us where you are starting from, it will be cool to see how you progress....height/weight/age and such.

Sam Nutt
03-10-2009, 05:24 PM
Corny's log is an excellent name for this thread. Welcome.

Matthew Bacorn
03-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Good call on the starting points. And thanks for the welcomes; it'll be good to get comments and help

George Mounce
03-11-2009, 03:42 AM
One other thing you could do is a floor press along with dips.

Matthew Bacorn
03-12-2009, 09:41 AM
Yesterday i got to play disc golf for the first time in a while. It was perfect weather for it too; sunny, mid-60s with a breeze. Good times. Not enough to eat though.

I failed my first squat weight today. I think its mental though. I have the strength somewhere, its just a matter of pushing hard enough. Maybe my CNS just needs to adapt/catch up.

Squat: 175 (4,5,4)
Dip: 3x9
Chin: 3x9 (9,9,7f+2)
Back ext: 10x3x10

My grip didn't fail on the chins, which i thought would be my limiting factor. Im not sure if thats good news or not.

Im contemplating whether to add heavy 3x5s for dip/chins after i get 3x10 or 3x15. I think i'll alternate heavy with high rep either way

Matthew Bacorn
03-13-2009, 07:38 PM
I had fried plantains for the first time today, cooked in bacon fat and topped with bacon and maple syrup. Tasty

Tomorrow I gotta shop for a suit for my cousins wedding, will be great fun (the wedding)
Its not till may but i will be back in school indefinitely until the end of the semester

Matthew Bacorn
03-14-2009, 02:04 PM
Reset my squat today, form had been shaky anyway

Squat: 155 (did first set with 165. bad math)
Press: 75
DL: 210

Press and DL still feeling good

Matthew Bacorn
03-17-2009, 08:32 PM
Squat: 160 (sticking with 5 pound jumps now)
Dips: 3x10 - I think i'll start alternating with heavy 3x5s
Chins: 10, 2-i did something weird to my left hand/ring finger. better safe than sorry
Back ext: 10x3x12

Matthew Bacorn
03-19-2009, 08:29 PM
Press: 80
DL: 225
SU: 10x3x14

The dl surprised me today, it got tough quick. I am feeling more confident with the squat, Im hoping to keep the 5 lb jumps for awhile. Press feels good. Lower back fried though.

Matthew Bacorn
03-22-2009, 07:33 PM
Yesterday:

Squat: 170
Dip: 15 moved on to weighted
Chins: 10, 8+2, 9 I will start alternating weighted next session
Back ext: 10x3x14

I felt pretty beat up going into it; everything felt surprisingly manageable. Im thankful for the two days of rest though

Also, yesterday was recruit day here at the University of Georgia, which i discovered when i walked into the dining hall. Holy crap those kids can eat.

I take back all previous thoughts and statements about my eating ability. I have been humbled

Adolfo Riveron
03-22-2009, 10:26 PM
UGA huh?
hows the gym there like?

Matthew Bacorn
03-25-2009, 08:38 AM
Yesterday

Squat: 175 (5, 3f, 2f) Im still feeling awkward squatting, maybe inefficient is the word?
Press: 85
DL: 240
SU: 10x3x16

I think I'm going to reset squat again and go with a narrower stance. My knees keep drifting in, and I think my outer leg muscles are pretty weak compared to the rest (so that makes them super-weak i suppose)

The gym is ok, but nothing compared to the one for athletes attached to the Coliseum. It has multiple rows or power racks and platforms with bumpers, chalk bowls, and a short straight track.

We proles get 2 squat racks, a power rack, an oly platform, and more body building frat boys than you can shake a stick at. I like to call them between set entertainment

Adolfo Riveron
03-25-2009, 11:09 AM
Yea i wish i could go use our athletes gym too.

wow, i wish our globo had an oly platform and bumpers. We get kicked out for doing oly so i hide in the corner and do 'em. We only have two power racks as well and the same amount of stereotypical bro's who we also use for entertainment.

I love the weird looks i get for bringing rings into the globo.

I go to Tech by the way ;) ....no hate here. Anybody on these forums is a friend of mine regardless of school rivalry.

Matthew Bacorn
03-27-2009, 04:29 PM
No hate for tech here either, Adolfo. I'm actually transferring to State next semester, so we'll be neighbors soon.

Yesterday (yeah, yesterday again. i know.)

Squat: 155 WAY better. started pushing out with feet as well as knees, and it felt much more efficient
Dip: 20 3x5
Chin: 20 3x5
Back ext: 10x3x16

Matthew Bacorn
03-28-2009, 10:59 AM
Squat: 160 this is feeling alot better, i'm gonna nail 175 this time
Press: 90f (4,3,3) frickin a.
DL: 255 (3,1,1)

The press stuck right around my forehead. I got a bit dizzy after the last set too
I rounded on the last DL rep, took 10 seconds or so between last 3

I think i oughta repeat the press and DL next time, and then go with smaller increments.
Im off to home depot today to make some 1.25lb plates

Matthew Bacorn
03-30-2009, 04:50 PM
Well, i never made it to home depot, and now i'm without a car for two weeks so i'll just have to make due with pressing for now. I'm not too worried about it though.

Tonight at dinner, i got totally tired of eating and really wanted to stop halfway through. Thats the first time its really happened to me. I was a big boy and cleaned my plate, but i glad that this overfeeding is wrapping up.

My cousin is getting married in may, and i need to fit into my suit by then. I got it when i was in 8th grade, and i still managed to button it two weeks ago. Yeah, i haven't grown since 8th grade. 5'11.5" for 5 dadgum years. ridiculous.

Matthew Bacorn
03-31-2009, 02:46 PM
Squat: 165 (5,5,3f) WTF is wrong with my squat? I might try some triples for awhile
Dip: 22.5x3x5
Chins: 10,7,5+neg. - 2 mins rest
Back ext: 15x3x10

Matthew Bacorn
04-02-2009, 03:44 PM
Squats: 170
Press: 90f (5,4,4)
DL: 265f (4.5)

I did triples on squat today. think im going to switch to that for awhile. its probably all mental, but i got alot more depth than last time i did 170.

I should get that 90x3x5 press next time easy. The first three of the last sets went up no problem, then hit a wall

I would have had the dl if my back didn't round. repeat workout.

I finally got close to 8 hours of sleep last night. it hasn't been bad, probly around 7 for a week or so, with a few nights of around 6.

The notch on my belt that used to be a little loose (but i used anyway) now requires a pull to reach. maybe its time to start wearing soccer shorts around...

Matthew Bacorn
04-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Squat: 175
Dip: 25 (5,5,4)
Chin: 25 (5,4,4)
Back ext: 15x3x12

I also played football for a little over an hour this afternoon.

At dinner, I had the Hunger. Its a gnawing pain in my gut that leads me to shovel things down my throat in an attempt to make it stop.

Today was only the third time it has visited me, but its an odd sensation. I ate a steak, some bbq, a salad, a sweet potato w/ butter, and two glasses of milk, only to be hungrier than when i started eating. Chased it with more milk, some ice cream and a banana.

Matthew Bacorn
04-07-2009, 06:39 PM
I woke up crazy tight and feeling a little beat up. I can usually put my fists on the floor easily with straight legs, and my fingers didn't even reach my ankles for most of today.

Squat: 180 (3,2,3) I really need to fix whatever im messing up. i feel more technically challenged than physically challenged
Press: 90
DL: 265
SU: 15x3x14

Im glad that im nearing a change. After this weekend, i need to start shrinking my waist so that i can fit into my suit for my cousins wedding next month. I'll probably drop to sets of 3 instead of sets of 5. keep the weight moving up too hopefully

Matthew Bacorn
04-09-2009, 08:51 PM
Squat: 180
Dips: 25 (4,4,3)
Chins: 10,8,7
Back ext: 15x3x14

The squats were better today, but i still don't feel like i have to work that hard to get the weight up, i have to keep the proper movement pattern.

i wonder if me trying to fix this on my own is akin to running my head into a wall over and over

i guess thats why theres deadlifting

Matthew Bacorn
04-11-2009, 07:42 AM
i decided to take it easy today, i've been feeling beat up for a week or so, a little worse each day

10 min easy row
squat: 45x10, 95x10, 45x10
Press: 45x2x5
lat raise: 10x10, 5x10
5 dips
5 push-ups
5 pull-ups
5 push-ups
DL: 100x10

That was followed by a hot shower and some leftover steak for breakfast. More rest is in order

Final weigh in: 182
total gain: +23 lbs
i'll find out in a month or so how much of it was muscle

Matthew Bacorn
04-12-2009, 10:56 AM
I just thought i was going to get some good rest yesterday.

I ended up helping my cousin and his fiance move into their first place, which involved alot of heavy thigs and alot of stairs. It was fun though.

This morning i planted squash, eggplant, bell pepper, and jalepeno. They're just in pots behind the house, maybe i'll put some pictures up if they do well.

Last night we ate a slow-roasted chicken with a smoky rub, acv, hot sauce, and molasses. Pulled and tossed with its giblets, topped with the boiled down juices. Served with green beans boiled with a smoked ham hock and tosses with bacon.

Leftovers for lunch soon - im gonna toss the ham hock with the chicken too

Matthew Bacorn
04-17-2009, 09:07 AM
Tuesday:
Squat: 180 (3,2) 165 (3)
Press: 95
DL: 275 (2) - back rounded on third and i couldn't wench it up. got it probably 3/4 up
SU: 15x3x16

Im not happy with my depth in the squats so i am going to back down and focus on just getting as low as possible

Thursday:
Squat: 165 - depth is pretty good. well below || but not deep enough
Dip: 30
Chin: 30
back ext: 15x3x16

I cut back on my warm up sets and really liked it. I didn't feel tired going into my sets before, but it felt like i was able to put alot more of myself into each lift today.

Pavel-esque i guess, more focus on tension and bracing and involving the whole body
good stuff

Matthew Bacorn
04-18-2009, 10:51 AM
Squat: 165 (3,3,2)
Press: 95 (5, 4+1pp, 3+1pp)
DL: 245x3
SU: 25#, 3x10

I lack focus under the bar on squats. I had good depth today, although my hip flexors were tight and my leg felt drained when this morning

After press, i was just zonked. I am mentally tired, although i'm not really sure why. I think it might be time for a frame-shift, just to mix things up. It has only been a week since i cut way back on food though, so i will give it one more week in case i am still adjusting.

I am 1+ belt notch away from where i need to be. Im not really too worried about getting.

On another note, i saw The Wrestler last night and wasn't too impressed. too bad

Matthew Bacorn
04-21-2009, 08:23 PM
Went and saw Wilco last night - great show. They played a good mix of old and new, and the encore was like 45 minutes long

Squat: 165 I feel confident enough to start moving the weight up now. not good, but better
Dip: 32.5
Chin: 32.5
Back ext: 25x3x10

I'm really starting to look forward to summer, i need to freaking get out of this dorm room. it doesn't help that we haven't had much sun in a while, i tend to get sad without sunshine

Matthew Bacorn
04-24-2009, 04:33 PM
Yesterday:
Squat: 170 (3,2) 165 (3)
Press: 100
DL: 225x3

I was pretty tired coming into it and the press took what little i had out of me. Regardless, i am coming to realize more and more how off my squat form really is. I need coaching on it, and i need it badly.

I do suspect, however, that i have a serious issue with weak hamstrings. I never really feel them on squats or deadlifts. When i slowed down the dl and kept the bar next to my knees, i lost about 50 pounds. Probably 50 pounds that i should not be winching up with my back, i suspect. Dang, i was feelin good about the fact that i was still climbing in weight on the DL. it was a pretty humbling day.

All in all, i am mentally and physically tired. I feel the need to increase the variety of stuff i do, and perhaps decrease the intensity a bit. Most nights as i lay in bed, i get spontaneous muscle twitches like the barkeeper in Boondock saints. I don't think thats supposed to happen. 3 max effort lifts in a day is too much right now.

I would like to make my programming more varied and adaptable without turning into a cocky prick who thinks he is above intelligent programming. ADD and rigid structure both seem to be my enemy.

Also, when i get home for the summer, i will be pretty active hiking, biking, swimming, playing soccer and ultimate, and a bunch of other stuff that makes linear progress very unlikely. And frankly, hanging out and enjoying my time with people i car about and the general relaxation of summer are more important than any kind of quick gym progress. Thats not to say that i don't want to keep improving though.

I do not want to become overly dogmatic about any 1 program. I also have a bit of creative/independent streak, and can only survive so long without feeling the need to write a program for myself. Even though i am fully aware that it would be much better for me to suck it up and follow somebody's advice who is much smarter and more accomplished than i am. i can be kind of stubborn i guess

For those who have made it this far (saints that you are), is there a general skeleton that i can use as a program? Something along these lines?

Lower body/Full Body move i.e. squats, pulls, cleans, etc
Push i.e. SP, PP, bench, dip, etc.
Pull i.e. pull-ups, chins, rows, etc.

I am thinking of alternating push and pull strength work days (2-5 reps) coupled with a complimentary excersize in accessory numbers (like more than 5 i guess). basically horizontal push with horizontal pull and the same thing for vertical. Maybe alternating strength with other type stuff for the squat type movement.

Any opinions folks? (besides wanting those last 5 minutes back)

Matthew Bacorn
05-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Dang, its been a while. I had finals and moved back home wednesday, and have been hangin out and eating some good food since then. Dinner tonight was scallops with basil and bacon and a frisee salad. Also tried my hand at cooking squid with mediocre results. Less cooking next time.

Yesterday was pretty busy, at the gym:
DL: 235 1x5 I dont think my back was tight, but i bet i could get more vertical and fix it. im pretty flexible, although i dont know if thats the "proper" solution
Chin: 37.5 3x3 Im still not that close to max i dont think. Ill take it
Dip: 3x8
Back ext: 40 3x10

Then i biked for the first time since november, and it was rough. i will be geting around by bike alot this summer, so i need some serious help. gym->visitor center->home in 20 minutes

I also played racquetball for about an hour, alot of fun

The extra weight is coming off well. my suit pants fit yesterday, although not well. I have about a week to lose another inch or so if i can. As of monday, i have been sugar and starch free. Hopefully it will also help with the lightheadedness i get when i stand up too quickly (the yellow and black spots)

Matthew Bacorn
05-09-2009, 07:11 PM
Couldn't sleep last night
morning temp: 97.0

i felt pretty zonked all day. i rode a few miles on the bike, rearranged some furniture, but not much. couldn't swing the gym. i was planning on trying out some front squats. i have been reading alot of dan john