PDA

View Full Version : Sand bag sub

Robert Callahan
03-24-2009, 11:54 AM
So I am just starting my first rotation of PMenu workouts and am starting with the strength cycle in Feb. My question is if I do not have a sand bag what should i use as a sub? In particular it is cleans at 50% BW. Should i just do cleans with a barbel at a greater % BW? or is there something better? Thanks!

-Robert

Garrett Smith
03-24-2009, 12:11 PM
I used a 32kg kettlebell when I had that one come up, or I'd use my canvas punching bag.

Donald Lee
03-24-2009, 12:29 PM
I don't think there really is a sub for a sandbag. You could purchase a keg from a liquor store and fill it with water.

Garrett Smith
03-24-2009, 12:35 PM
Donald,
There's subs for everything, IMO, it's just a matter of better or worse in terms of training effect. I simply used what I had around that I thought was somewhat similar for the clean motion--the KB was one-handed and close to the Rx'd weight for me, whereas the punching bag wasn't heavy enough but was pretty unstable up on the shoulder. They both had their good & bad points compared to a sandbag.

Arden Cogar Jr.
03-24-2009, 01:15 PM
My 8 year old loves being my implement when I do GPP. She's not a little thing either - about 4'8" 105 pounds.

All the best,
Arden