PDA

View Full Version : deadhang pullup pr

Steve Kaspar
03-28-2009, 02:44 PM
i just wanted some opinions on a weekly workout plan to get a new pr in deadhang pullups. i have no place to do the kipping style, so its deadhangs only.
i hit 28 almost a year ago, and 28 again a few months ago. i do them 1, sometimes 2 days a week. gtg on mondays or a few sets back to back... then if i do them a second day, friday, i do weighted pullups.. a set of 15, then 8 reps with 25# 6 with 35 # 4 with 45# 2 with 50# 1 with 60# 1 with 60#. still can only get 28..
i'm 6' 145# 53 years old.
thanks alot
steve kaspar

Chris H Laing
03-28-2009, 03:58 PM
I'd say keep up with the weighted pullups and the high rep pullups, but maybe try to start training for the one arm chin.

Maybe like monday-weighted chins, wednesday-high rep, friday-oac. That way you can get a different type of adaptation which might help you get a couple more pullups.

Theres also lotsa programs out there, like ranger ron (or something like that...) and i think pavel has one too, so you could try to google those.

Steven Low
03-28-2009, 05:08 PM
Do you weighted pullups work with 8x3 or whatever with like 35-45 pounds or something.

Donald Lee
03-29-2009, 12:45 AM
Personally, I think you should do some block training. You could do a 3-4 week block of heavy weighted pullups to bring up your strength. Then, you could do another block that builds up the glycolytic-oxidative capabilities of the muscle you gained.

If you decide to follow this approach, there's an article at www.8weeksout.com titled Secrets of Muscular Endurance that outlines what you should do for the 2nd block. There's also a sample 6-week program written out on forum. To access stuff on the site you have to become a member.

sollo rick
03-29-2009, 10:42 PM
i think this is what chris was talking about
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recon_Ron_Pull-up_Program
does this really work?

Steve Kaspar
04-06-2009, 03:04 PM
everyone, thanks for the tips and info.
steven
i was looking back on a few logs i kept, and looks like in a months time, i usually do 6 pullup workouts.. mondays are fore sure, and a few times a month i do the weighted ones on friday. i see that isnt near enough training to improve.. i have to try to get in 2 days training per week.
question, is 2 days a week enough?
and another question, if i do the GTG on mondays, then 8 weighted sets of 3 on fridays, when do you think i should shoot for a new pr? couple months down the road? thanks again
steve kaspar

Steven Low
04-06-2009, 05:28 PM
You need to getin at least 3-4 days IMO.

Steve Kaspar
04-06-2009, 05:44 PM
hey steven, thanks for your tip. what would a weekly schdule look like then? and when should i attempt a pr?
thanks alot again
steve kaspar