PDA

View Full Version : A new spin on Stuffed Chicken

Jay Cohen
03-29-2009, 02:16 PM
So after seeing that Turkey stuffed with a chicken AND a duck, along with the new cult favorite, The Bacon Explosion, it got me thinking on what to do with that big cavity in a whole chicken fryer. Obviously, it had to be stuffed with something; bacon and sausage being the first choice, but that could take about 3-4 lbs and might just be a tad overwhelming (then again, maybe not, but that will be left for another Sunday)

So, Iím walking thru the grocery store, and came across these miniature chickens, called Cornish Hens. They really looked like Chicken Hand Grenades and being that small, not worth cooking, unless you were buying a dozen, and NOT having Jamie over for dinner!

Then I had an epiphany (a sudden, intuitive perception of or insight into the reality or essential meaning of something).

Stuff that little bad boy with homemade Italian sausage, STUFF into a REAL chicken, apply rub, then cover in bacon, smoke/grill until done.

That bird is cooking as I type, while I know itís going to come out tasty, just not sure how to carve, bird in bird. Probably just carve chicken, then carve Cornish Hen, eat sausage on the side, OR, I just might Pull both birds apart, add in the sausage, add some sauce, end up with Pulled Chicken.

Just another weekend in the kitchen, working on ideas for Meat Fest 2009.

Derek Simonds
03-29-2009, 04:21 PM
Very nice I can't wait to hear how it turned out.

Scott Kustes
03-30-2009, 11:30 AM
Damn, that looks awesome!

Dave Van Skike
03-30-2009, 12:00 PM
Jay, this is important work you're doing. Do give us a detailed report.

Frank Needham
03-30-2009, 12:37 PM
That is a thing of beauty. Jay, you've got a lot of time on your hands but at least you put it to good use.

Allen Yeh
03-30-2009, 02:22 PM
Damn that looks good!

Yuen Sohn
04-01-2009, 06:44 AM
That bird is cooking as I type, while I know it’s going to come out tasty, just not sure how to carve, bird in bird. Probably just carve chicken, then carve Cornish Hen, eat sausage on the side,

A meal of this magnitude deserves to be pulled apart and eaten with bare hands. Forget the utensils.

Stephen Brown
04-13-2009, 09:08 AM
Jay - thanks for the inspiration.

I grilled a chicken that I stuffed with 1.5lbs of spicy italian ausage and wrapped in bacon for Easter dinner. No cornish hen, just the sausage. It was awesome.

New Easter tradition at my house. Oh, and beer.

Gant Grimes
04-13-2009, 03:00 PM
Genius. It looks like I'll be up in the WVa/PA area next month. I'll give you some lead time.

Justin Algera
04-22-2009, 08:24 AM
Crap how did I miss this earlier??? This is going on the "to make" list!