PDA

View Full Version : Ankle issues

Chris Forbis
03-29-2009, 06:15 PM
So I had a doozy of a sprained (right) ankle in Jan 08. The ankle has been at full strength for quite a while now, but the ROM is now less than the left one.

Are there any suggestions on things to do to improve my ankle ROM?

George Mounce
03-29-2009, 06:18 PM
I know Dr. G posted the foot drills awhile back and since I can't find his link this is a copy I put up: http://download411.mediafire.com/2xlr92yjndjg/kttw4tmmouz/The+Foot+Drills.pdf

Garrett Smith
03-29-2009, 09:18 PM
Do the foot drills.

Try to find a chiro who does extremity adjusting. If you do this, give it up to 3 adjustments, if that doesn't get it then move on.

Vibrams or barefoot a lot, walking on uneven ground.

Numbers 2 and 3 in this article: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/the_essential_8_mobility_drills

Consider getting a session with a Z-Health trainer to properly learn the medial/lateral tilts and toe pulls.

I've heard good things about the JumpStretch routines with bands for combined ankle strength & mobility.

That's a heck of a start. I had a bad history of spraining ankles when I used to hoop. I don't have any issues with my ankles anymore.

Mike ODonnell
03-29-2009, 09:27 PM
1 legged/1 arm DB RDLs......I enjoy those.

Ben Fury
03-29-2009, 10:53 PM
Are there any suggestions on things to do to improve my ankle ROM?

Foot/ankle protocol in Active Isolated Stretching by Aaron Mattes is excellent.

Chris Forbis
03-31-2009, 07:59 AM
Thanks guys.

I do some foot drills, and will add some more. I'll see if I can find a chiro as well.

I'm already moving in the barefoot direction, and I've been wearing Sanuks (Vagabonds) most of the time. I plan on getting some Vibrams soon as well.

No Z-Health trainers anywhere near me. Later this summer I'm moving and there are some not too far away from there.

I already do the one-legged RDL. Good stuff.

I've looked at the Mattes book in the past. It is on my list of fitness related books to eventually acquire.

Robert McBee
03-31-2009, 02:35 PM
Here's a good stretch I've been doing PWO:

sanfranciscocrossfit.blogspot.com/2008/11/your-calves-are-tight-bro.html

That's a good one from Kelly Starrett. Greg has a similar ankle rom stretch in his book but you work it while in the bottom position of the squat. Very effective in my experience.