PDA

View Full Version : Well, it's official :-D

Arden Cogar Jr.
03-30-2009, 12:14 PM
I finally got my complete Werksan set (bar, plates, small plates, and collars) this past weekend. And it only caused minor damage from the fry pan (of the wife :rolleyes: ).

I reckon i'm now officially a "weightlifter" of some sort?

Next step, Werksan women's bar for my little girls. :D

All the best,
Arden

Timothy Scalise
03-30-2009, 12:58 PM
awesome, I cant wait till I have a place with a garage, so I can get my own set as well. how much did your set run you? and how many kg is it?

Arden Cogar Jr.
03-30-2009, 02:09 PM
awesome, I cant wait till I have a place with a garage, so I can get my own set as well. how much did your set run you? and how many kg is it?

Werksan sets are not cheap. Sorta the Rolls Royce of weightlifting equipment. The Bars are top of the line. Set comes with 25, 20, 15, and 10kg bumpers. The loose smaller plates run I think run 5kgs, 2kgs, 1kgs, and .5 kgs. Then the collars are 2.5kg a piece.

Mine's an economy training set. Not the competition set. I don't want to die too young. :o

http://www.werksanusa.com/products-bars-collars.asp

I already have about 400 pounds of kraiburg bumpers, and 2 25kg werksan and 2 10kg werksan at my home gym, in addition to a wholllllllle bunch of other stuff (jerk boxes, technique boxes, power cage, kettlebell sets 8kg to 48kg, axles, stones, rings, all my lumberjack stuff, etc. - It's my man cave/fortress of solitude).

The older I get the more I love training at home, but the Charleston YMCA recently granted me approval to construct a platform in the Weight training area. I'm going to donate some of the kraiburgs to the cause.

I'm starting to get others in my area intersted in olympic lifting. It's such an awesome sport. No super suits, no knee wraps, no nothing - just yourself and a barbell.

All the best,
Arden

Allen Yeh
03-30-2009, 02:20 PM
Now all you have to do is start lifting "real" weights....

Seriously though that is sweet, I think you should throw some pics of your home gym in here.

Arden Cogar Jr.
03-30-2009, 02:35 PM
Now all you have to do is start lifting "real" weights....

Seriously though that is sweet, I think you should throw some pics of your home gym in here.

:-D Agreed on the real weights part. If only I could clean what I can jerk. This time last year I could axle clean and press more than I could clean and jerk with a barbell. My clean is slowly approaching my pulling capacity. This time last year, I was cleaning about 33% of what I could deadlift. Now, I'm over 40%. No real goal at this point other than perfecting the technique as best I can.

I think all the pics of my home gym I have at work are really dated, but I'll look and see. Yeah, the ones i've added are over two years old. Doesn't have the parthanon 12x8 platform and the jerk boxes, etc. in it. I'll update later. I'm very proud of my man cave. It's pretty dirty right now. I've been event training quite a bit lately.

All the best,
Arden

Timothy Scalise
03-30-2009, 08:38 PM
your home gym is flippin awesome. you could so charge people to use it lol.

Kevin Perry
03-30-2009, 08:54 PM
Is that a reverse hyper in the near right side Arden?

Arden Cogar Jr.
03-31-2009, 06:49 AM
your home gym is flippin awesome. you could so charge people to use it lol.

Thanks so much. But I'll never charge anyone anything. I'm a USAW club coach and I volunteer my time at Crossfit WV and the Charleston YMCA to those who are interested in learning how to olympic lift. I just love having others to lift/train with. If that makes any sense? I have a great job/career and lifting/lumberjack sports are my hobbies/passions.

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
03-31-2009, 06:50 AM
Is that a reverse hyper in the near right side Arden?

Yep. I kind of wish I never bought the darn thing. I only use it ocassionally and those funds should have been better spent on something else.

All the best,
Arden

Timothy Scalise
03-31-2009, 12:44 PM
your a good man. and you never know when you might want to do reverse hypers and now you can, just look at it that away lol. I think all you really could add to that would be a GHD.

Arden Cogar Jr.
04-01-2009, 06:46 AM
your a good man. and you never know when you might want to do reverse hypers and now you can, just look at it that away lol. I think all you really could add to that would be a GHD.

Actually, the reverse hyper has a GHD attachment. :D I thought it through pretty well in assembling the crap I've got in there.

Funny story, my 11 year old is kinda spoiled when it comes to gyms. She has her second weightlifting comp coming up in a few months. Thus far, she's trained at my home gym, Moorestown Weightlifting club, and Pittsburgh Barbell. I took her up to the Y a few weeks ago and she was walking through the weightlifting area and looked at me in amazement. I was, like, "what?" She says to me, "where's the platform? We can't lift without a platform." :rolleyes:

That was the point when I realized I would volunteer to build a platform.

All the best,
Arden

Justin Algera
04-01-2009, 08:55 AM
Seeing those pics, I again question why I left Florida to move to NYC :cool:

Arden Cogar Jr.
04-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Seeing those pics, I again question why I left Florida to move to NYC :cool:

Justin,
Did you leave a comfy facility in Florida for a not so comfy facility in NYC? Although I must admit that there would have to be a huge difference. My close friends, and those that have trained at my home gym, refer to man cave as "Muscle Holler." :rolleyes:

A true place where one can enjoy some of my crazy Lumberjack met-con. :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOqy4q9Oo3Q

All the best,
Arden

Timothy Scalise
04-01-2009, 08:11 PM
you are a beast... seriously a beast. I bet you could break a man with one hand. lol, awesome work. I want to go to the man cave now lol.

Don Stevenson
04-01-2009, 09:22 PM
Now that's alternative conditioning!

Hey Arden, are any of the US team coming down under for the Royal Easter show wood chopping events this year?

Arden Cogar Jr.
04-02-2009, 02:56 AM
you are a beast... seriously a beast. I bet you could break a man with one hand. lol, awesome work. I want to go to the man cave now lol.

Thanks Timothy,
But just as my daughters say, I'm sorta like a big scary lookin' teddy bear. :rolleyes:

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
04-02-2009, 02:58 AM
Now that's alternative conditioning!

Hey Arden, are any of the US team coming down under for the Royal Easter show wood chopping events this year?

Don,
I have competed at the Royal Easter show eight times - and I'm the captain of the US Men's team. Unfortunately, we didn't gather enough sponsorship to send a men's team this year. But my wife is attending as a member of our ladies national team. Someone has to stay home with the girls?

All the best,
Arden

Dave Ogilbee
04-02-2009, 11:27 AM
Thanks so much. But I'll never charge anyone anything. I'm a USAW club coach and I volunteer my time at Crossfit WV and the Charleston YMCA to those who are interested in learning how to olympic lift. I just love having others to lift/train with. If that makes any sense? I have a great job/career and lifting/lumberjack sports are my hobbies/passions.

All the best,
Arden

My sentiments exactly Arden. You are my flipping hero, lol. I'm very interested in getting into coaching specifically for O-lifting, but so few people are interested in it around here that it's tough to find anyone wanting to learn, let alone lift with. (I think i'm the only person at my current gym that uses the platforms specifically for what they're meant for). Whats education / schooling like for someone wanting to get into O-lift coaching?

Timothy Scalise
04-02-2009, 11:26 PM
I got a question, how heavy was that kettlebell on the russian twists?

Arden Cogar Jr.
04-03-2009, 08:35 AM
My sentiments exactly Arden. You are my flipping hero, lol. I'm very interested in getting into coaching specifically for O-lifting, but so few people are interested in it around here that it's tough to find anyone wanting to learn, let alone lift with. (I think i'm the only person at my current gym that uses the platforms specifically for what they're meant for). Whats education / schooling like for someone wanting to get into O-lift coaching?

Thanks Dave!! Coaching for O-lifting is a learned process. If you're a stand alone place, that's not associated with crossfit, I would recommend the USAW club coaching cert. They are conducted all over the US and all you need to do is go the USAW - US Weightlifting site; calenders for the club coaching certs are listed.

If there's xfit gyms in your area, xfit and Greg offer awesome courses/certifications. Greg's are very impressive. My hope is that he and Aimee host one closer to where I live this Fall or early next springs. I'm all about learning as much as I can.

My hope is to attend the Regional Coaching Course conducted at Moorestown NJ this July. I'll never be a regional coach as you have to have a certain number of lifters, who qualify for national comps, sign you off as their coach. My main impetus for attending the RCC is to attend the week long "Weightlifting Camp" hosted by the Moorestown Weightlifting Club. I know it's not the summer camp my daughter had hoped for, but it's one she can go to with her chubby daddy.

All the best,
ARden

Arden Cogar Jr.
04-03-2009, 08:36 AM
I got a question, how heavy was that kettlebell on the russian twists?

I must shamefully admit that's one of my wife's bells. :rolleyes: It's a 12kg.

All the best,
Arden

Timothy Scalise
04-03-2009, 10:42 AM
it looked so big that is why I asked.

Arden Cogar Jr.
04-03-2009, 12:01 PM
it looked so big that is why I asked.

That particular bell is an AKC bell. American Kettlebell Club. All the bells are the same size (competition size and competition handles) but vary on weight dependent upon color. The 8s are pink, the blues are 12, the yellows are 16, the purples are 20, the greens are 24, the oranges are 28, and the red are 32. I think the 36 is white, and the 40 is silver. And the AKC 48, I believe, is gold, but I could be wrong about that. I would defer to Cate Imes as she's much more learned than I on the subject and the lifting.

I have lots of kettebells. My AKC bells are all the same size - 8kg, 12kg, 16kg, 20kg, 24kg, 28kg, 32kg. Then I have sets of Dragon Door's 40kgs, and 48kgs. I also took my 12kg, 24kg, and 32kg K2s to the Charleston YMCA.

The AKC bells are kinda like 20kg fat bumpers......they make you feel heeeeuuuugggggge and strong. :D

All the best,
Arden

Timothy Scalise
04-03-2009, 05:56 PM
That particular bell is an AKC bell. American Kettlebell Club. All the bells are the same size (competition size and competition handles) but vary on weight dependent upon color. The 8s are pink, the blues are 12, the yellows are 16, the purples are 20, the greens are 24, the oranges are 28, and the red are 32. I think the 36 is white, and the 40 is silver. And the AKC 48, I believe, is gold, but I could be wrong about that. I would defer to Cate Imes as she's much more learned than I on the subject and the lifting.

I have lots of kettebells. My AKC bells are all the same size - 8kg, 12kg, 16kg, 20kg, 24kg, 28kg, 32kg. Then I have sets of Dragon Door's 40kgs, and 48kgs. I also took my 12kg, 24kg, and 32kg K2s to the Charleston YMCA.

The AKC bells are kinda like 20kg fat bumpers......they make you feel heeeeuuuugggggge and strong. :D

All the best,
Arden

interesting, I never really knew there were different types of kettlebells to be honest, nor compititions for them. and I know what you mean i like using the bigger weights makes me feel like a beast even though its light lol. when I do 70kg snatches I use the green and yellow plates so it looks like its more with the 2 plates. lol.

Dave Ogilbee
04-03-2009, 08:11 PM
Thanks Dave!! Coaching for O-lifting is a learned process. If you're a stand alone place, that's not associated with crossfit, I would recommend the USAW club coaching cert. They are conducted all over the US and all you need to do is go the USAW - US Weightlifting site; calenders for the club coaching certs are listed.

If there's xfit gyms in your area, xfit and Greg offer awesome courses/certifications. Greg's are very impressive. My hope is that he and Aimee host one closer to where I live this Fall or early next springs. I'm all about learning as much as I can.

My hope is to attend the Regional Coaching Course conducted at Moorestown NJ this July. I'll never be a regional coach as you have to have a certain number of lifters, who qualify for national comps, sign you off as their coach. My main impetus for attending the RCC is to attend the week long "Weightlifting Camp" hosted by the Moorestown Weightlifting Club. I know it's not the summer camp my daughter had hoped for, but it's one she can go to with her chubby daddy.

All the best,
ARden

Thanks for the info Arden! I've been wanting to try to get to some of the O-lift certs. I live in CA and it's not a big deal to drive to Greg's gym (one of these days, would love to see the new place). I don't actually own a gym, i'm just a regular there, to the point most everybody knows where i'm headed when I come in :D. It's just inspiring to hear about people like you, Greg and Mike B. that are passionate about what you like to do to the point you'd willingly give up time to give somebody a point or two. To me, that's what it's all about.

Arden Cogar Jr.
04-06-2009, 05:36 AM
interesting, I never really knew there were different types of kettlebells to be honest, nor compititions for them. and I know what you mean i like using the bigger weights makes me feel like a beast even though its light lol. when I do 70kg snatches I use the green and yellow plates so it looks like its more with the 2 plates. lol.

Tim,
Grivory Sport is pretty awesome. I've done two informal competitions and I've not done overly well - the competitions are 10 minute sets and you can't put the bell down during that time frame and you can only switch hands once. It sucks on a level that should only be tested ocassionally. :o

I'm not much for truly training GS, but I do it for cardio when I'm not event training heavily. Otherwise, I use the bells "hard style" or for explosiveness - similar to O/L. But I hear you on using the greens and yellows. Makes me feel heeeuuuggggggeee.

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
04-06-2009, 05:38 AM
Thanks for the info Arden! I've been wanting to try to get to some of the O-lift certs. I live in CA and it's not a big deal to drive to Greg's gym (one of these days, would love to see the new place). I don't actually own a gym, i'm just a regular there, to the point most everybody knows where i'm headed when I come in :D. It's just inspiring to hear about people like you, Greg and Mike B. that are passionate about what you like to do to the point you'd willingly give up time to give somebody a point or two. To me, that's what it's all about.

Dave,
My pleasure. Any way I can help I will. Greg and Coach B are awesome. Simply awesome.

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
04-08-2009, 07:58 AM
Finally had my phone over in my barn this morning, so I snapped a couple updated photos. I've reworked the entire thing over the past few years. I'm very proud of her. :D

All the best,
Arden

Allen Yeh
04-08-2009, 12:58 PM
that is one awesome home gym