PDA

View Full Version : How do they do it!

David Mathews
04-08-2009, 08:46 AM
How do the Oly lifters that need to keep getting stronger do so without gaining mass so they can remain in their weight class? It seems with the amount of protein they would require it would be somewhat difficult. I ask because I want to stay at 200lbs maybe a little less but want to keep gaining strength. I do a bastardized version of Gant's Hybrid and CFSB and Coach Rut's MEBB.

Garrett Smith
04-08-2009, 09:27 AM
If you notice your weight going up, eat less.

Everyone "requires" different amounts of protein. If the amount you think you need causes you to gain weight, it's obviously more than you would need to maintain.

Mike ODonnell
04-08-2009, 12:12 PM
I'm guessing most also diet down for competition.....train heavier (in bodyweight terms)....as strength is more a CNS adaption....then lean out/carb down for comps....with very little lost in strength.....just a guess.

Gant Grimes
04-08-2009, 03:00 PM
I do a bastardized version of Gant's Hybrid and CFSB and Coach Rut's MEBB.

That's like double or triple bastard.

If you're competing in OLY you have some room to grow. You're in the 94kg (207#) class. Unless you're planning to drop down to 85kg (187#), you should keep lifting, eating clean, and grow into the top of your class.

Emily Mattes
04-13-2009, 07:15 AM
Yeah, basically you might hover at the top of your weight class or a little over and cut before competition. Or if you're in the middle, it gives you room to put on muscle mass. It is a rare person who puts on so much muscle and is so ripped and lean it forces him or her to up their weight class.

I know one pretty lean wrestler-turned-Olympic-lifter who regularly weighs in at 86-87kg and cuts down to the 77kg weight class. :eek:

Timothy Scalise
04-13-2009, 11:13 PM
yeah cutting sucks though, im currently at 250lbs aprox 113kg, dropping to 231 105kg.