PDA

View Full Version : A ridiculous get-up...

Patrick Donnelly
04-08-2009, 05:22 PM
An interesting video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtR0_cG6eY4

A ridiculously strong guy. I've never seen it done that way before. Looks like a good challenge.

Steven Low
04-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Nothing that amazing.

There's hand balancers who get up like that with someone doing a handstand on their hands. Probably around 64kg if it's a mens pair.

Patrick Donnelly
04-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Nothing that amazing.

There's hand balancers who get up like that with someone doing a handstand on their hands. Probably around 64kg if it's a mens pair.

And there are gymnasts who can do planche push-ups in their warm-up. They're just at four sigmas down the bell curve, while this guy is at three. Either way, it's pretty damn good.

(I've got a business statistics test tomorrow.)

Grissim Connery
04-09-2009, 12:40 PM
there's an omoplata warm up drill in which you have your legs in a king pigeon pose and then you
1. shift your weight to your butt
2. pull your knees to your chest
3. fold them to the opposite side king pigeon pose
4. shift you weight to your knees and bring you butt off the ground
5. rotate your legs so your feet go to the other side
6. sit back down into the original king pigeon pose
7. repeat

we just call them omoplata circles. i don't know if there's a different name. anyways i never thought about holding 2 KBs while doing it. that's essentially what this guy is doing in the video if you take out the standup in the middle. i'll give it a try when my shoulder feels better. thanks for the link.

Don Stevenson
04-09-2009, 04:46 PM
I agress that a double TGU even at 32kg is nothing exceptional, it's definitely very strong but nothing freaky.

The problem as you go heavier is getting the leverage to raise your upper body and the KBs up into the situp and thus the need for the sort of kip up.

Brian Stone
04-09-2009, 05:46 PM
I thought it was pretty smooth, controlled, and impressive. I'm a lot heavier than that guy and would love to be able to move that amount of weight that effectively.

I would say that mens pairs that can pull those off what Steve said are even more impressive, but I also think those are EXCEPTIONAL athletes and in no way detract from that stunt. Not the craziest thing I've seen for sure, but props to that guy.

Edit: He actually has a variety of impressive stuff on his YouTube channel.

Steven Low
04-20-2009, 05:43 PM
Speaking of which.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGeu6c3KLTI

Whole act is sick.

Grissim Connery
04-21-2009, 09:11 AM
that's the most impressive thing i've seen in a long time.....i am seriously in awe.

Júlíus G. Magnússon
04-21-2009, 10:01 AM
Speaking of which.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGeu6c3KLTI

Whole act is sick.

Now THAT was ridiculously fucking impressive.

Brian Stone
04-21-2009, 02:39 PM
He does a squat below parallel with her balancing upside down on top of his head. Wonder if he knows those are bad for his knees?

Patrick Donnelly
04-22-2009, 05:36 PM
He does a squat below parallel with her balancing upside down on top of his head. Wonder if he knows those are bad for his knees?
Nah, it's just a variation of the overhead squat, or the underhead squat, depending on your perspective.

Steve, that was an amazing video. Did you know that Ryan Murray from Gymkana is applying to Cirque? That would be awesome if he got it.

Brian Stone
04-22-2009, 07:14 PM
Nah, it's just a variation of the overhead squat, or the underhead squat, depending on your perspective.

Heh, I was being sarcastic.

Really amazing to see the degree of kinesthetic control and strength that one can really acquire, especially when you consider how often they perform those feats.