PDA

View Full Version : Squat Clean too low?

David Boyle
04-08-2009, 06:30 PM
I've been working on my o-lifts for the last couple weeks. Sadly I have no coaching so I've been learning through the various media I find on the net. When I do my cleans and go into the squat, I realized that I'm squatting below par.

Is this bad? Again I'm a noob w/ o-lifts. I don't want to cause damage to my body though, and I want to be able to do the tech properly.

So if I am going too low, about when should I stop the squat and start to accend up into the rack?

Hope this is clear.

Thanks.

Semper Fi!

Kevin Perry
04-08-2009, 06:34 PM
well generally as I've been taught you go as low as flexibility allows, well below parallel but you want to be sure you are capable of pulling yourself out of the hole.

David Boyle
04-08-2009, 06:39 PM
well generally as I've been taught you go as low as flexibility allows, well below parallel but you want to be sure you are capable of pulling yourself out of the hole.

Thanks Kevin,

Thats the thing...I have tremendous flexibiltiy in that region...however the lower you go the harder the squat right? So my concern is I don't want to cheat the technique...if going as low as I can go is the standard than I'm going to keep working it...but if not, and I can cut the drop a little and do more weight....than (in my lack of knowledge mind....:) ) that sounds very good.

But I'm on leave for the next few days and will be w/o the weight-room. So I'll be working straight KB's for the time being. Just wanted to have a game plan for Monday.

Thanks again.

Robert Callahan
04-08-2009, 07:20 PM
You want to work it as low as possible. This is because as the weight gets really heavy your ability to pull it up begins to wane. So instead of pulling the bar up higher you get low in order to catch it. The lower you can get the less high you have to pull the bar. Make sense?

And if you are trying to learn to Olympic lift on your own with no coach you should at least get Greg Everett's book. It will help a lot!

Timothy Scalise
04-08-2009, 08:22 PM
if your butt touches the ground its too low, otherwise good. most people have trouble getting the flexibility to catch the clean and the snatch low, if you can do that easy then that is awesome.

Enrique Billington
04-08-2009, 09:37 PM
As everyone said, squatting as low as reasonably possible is wonderful. Less stress on the knees than power cleaning it or even catching it in the power clean position and riding it to the bottom.

Dave Ogilbee
04-09-2009, 08:38 AM
And if you are trying to learn to Olympic lift on your own with no coach you should at least get Greg Everett's book. It will help a lot!

2nd that. If you're serious about the O-lifts, its a wealth of info on technique and programming. I don't have a coach at the moment either Dave, but Greg's book gives you plenty of info on what to look for in your lifts. That and i'd reccomend a good vid-cam too. You can only concentrate on so many things in those 1-2 seconds of the lift. Its a great way to catch something you might otherwise miss. Plus you can show off on the internet! :p

David Boyle
04-09-2009, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the tips all.

I will def. check the book out.

Timothy Scalise
04-10-2009, 12:22 AM
also a great site besides this one is mikesgym.com coach Mike Burgener.

George Mounce
04-10-2009, 05:28 AM
Put up a video of your air squat, you may not be as flexible as you think if your butt is winking. Have someone watch you and if your butt starts to get pulled over before your hamstrings touch your calves you need to stop higher.