2006 benchmarks:
Bodyweight: 72.5 kg
Snatch: 67.5 kg
C&J: 85 kg
FS: 92.5 kg
BS: 105 kg

John Alston
01-22-2007, 12:39 PM
OK, that workout is ok for a Sunday. Monday night at LBH is where we wanna see what's what.
And we wanna see you prepped to rock it in your fancy new singlet at the Mintz.

John Alston
01-23-2007, 10:18 AM
Problem one is with your priorities!
They should be:
1) Lift heavier than ever.
2) Get HYOOOOGE (and strong) lifter muscles!
3) Lift still more.

John Alston
01-25-2007, 06:36 AM
Starting Strength helped your press? Can you share a little? It's a worthy read? Beyond the general Oly, I think press is the best. Of course, it's old school oly.

John Alston
01-25-2007, 05:53 PM
WHere is today's WO? How much meat did you eat today?

John Alston
01-29-2007, 01:04 PM
Brief Squat Workout.
BS:
61kg x5
70kg x5
79.5kg x5
84kg x5
88.6kg x5 (3, rest, 2)

You did 135/155/175/185and195 but converted to close kg equivalents, right? Hmmm. Maybe that's not a bad idea if it makes reviewing the log easier.

EDIT below

Ok, so I took your idea and put it in my log. I also added the "total squattage" stat, which is total weight in all sets.
Thus we see that Thursday's
135x5/135x5/135x5/185x5/185x5 totals at
3875lbs/1761kg
while never going more than 185.

Saturday I did heavier weights
135x5/155x4/185x3/205x2/215x1 but only totaled
2475lb/1125kg.

This may be useful in looking at training volume in the future. Since I usually stick to 5 reps or less it may maintain some utility. It might not.

Also, your total squattage is 4225lbs, higher than my two listed days (but mine were Front Squats). But you missed making a true 5x5. So you did a lot of work, but missed on the last set. As I understand the 5x5, the first 3 are often used as warm up and the last two are the work sets. So maybe lighter work is called for in your earlier sets so you can make the 5x195, which is a good hard fifth set, by the way. If that was your inention.
Also, excel is awesome for playing with these numbers.
See, aren't you glad you have this log so I can analyze this for you?

Allen Yeh
01-30-2007, 04:12 AM
Oly Workout.

My mind was elsewhere tonight. Too many distractions in general, blah blah blah...

Your body can't differentiate between stressors. Stress is like water from hundreds of taps flowing into a bathtub. Financial stress, relationships, health, and training stress are all different taps. When all the other taps are flowing full blast, turn down the training tap a little bit so your tub doesn't overflow.
-Alwyn Cosgrove

John Alston
02-01-2007, 09:49 AM
How much meat did you eat today?
Love the stink!Live it!
How should we haze Jimmy for not knowing the team motto?
You gonna jump this weekend? You should do jump drills till you die for missing the meet. Just kidding, right?

John Alston
02-05-2007, 12:31 PM
Did you explode on the swings?
Where are the jump drills?
How long can I get stronger and still stay at 77.... sigh.

John Alston
02-07-2007, 08:30 AM
So do you think you will lift in the meet Sunday?
I am definitely over 77 now. I had a few bad days of eating from Sat to Yesterday, but am back on the good train now. I think I will wrry less about staying 77 and just eat and lift. I don't want to get fat, or do the bulk then cut routine, but a little more healthy food for me will be ok, esp if I get on the 4 day split ala Jimmy.
Are you eating better yet, Yoon?
We will jump weekly at LBH until you slap the ceiling with a 15k plate in your other hand.

John Alston
02-07-2007, 06:37 PM
Nice Jerks, man. You can handle that shit. I think you need to play heavy sometime to develop the speed - you need something to pull against!

Yuen Sohn
02-07-2007, 06:49 PM
Nice Jerks, man. You can handle that shit. I think you need to play heavy sometime to develop the speed - you need something to pull against!

Thanks! Perhaps the copious volume of poison gas in the room was, in reality, positively affecting my performance and mindset

Elliot Royce
02-11-2007, 06:36 PM
Yoon:

I might be joining you at the meet in April. It would be my first. Not sure yet....just getting to the point of getting the C&J down in basic form....not even really trying on the squat. We'll see how it goes with training over the next 2 months.

My coach will be there. Gary Valentine from Club Valentine in Wilton, CT. He's got the New England Master's records and is a great guy. You should say hello -- he's familiar with this site and CF.

I was excited this weekend because we managed to get my squat clean up from 60kg to 85kg, and on the last pull it was flying off the floor. Of course, I weigh 105kg so your numbers are pretty impressive in relation to me. Shows how much of it is technique.

Yuen Sohn
02-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Elliot: Fantastic! I hope to see you and the rest of Club Valentine at the Sablo.

I'm really looking forward to watching Gary lift. I believe at last year's Sablo, he edged local lifter Nick Curry by 1 kg to take first place ...with a 253 kg total! It should make for some pretty exciting competition this year.

Great going with the progress also. It really is a nice feeling when the barbell just shoots up...that's something I need to make happen more frequently!

John Alston
02-12-2007, 06:23 AM
I see you jumping over 90 soon in your future - totalling 170+ in April I bet.
So you made it home ok. Good. I was chilled out. Super light day today - no LBH, just OHS, some snatch grip DL, abs.

Elliot Royce
02-12-2007, 10:56 AM
When you take into account that Gary is 50 years old, it's even more impressive. He's also the nicest guy in the world and is spending two hours of his time with me on weekends. Amazing!

John Alston
02-20-2007, 06:51 AM
Jeff has laid out quite a plan for you.
BUt what about steak? I had steak for breakfast! How much meat have you eaten lately?

Elliot Royce
02-20-2007, 10:39 AM
Good stuff...sounds like you're in capable hands. By the way, I will not be able to come to the meet in April as I'll be away on business. Next time, I hope!

John Alston
02-22-2007, 06:07 AM
Burritoville! Effin' A!
Next time when the lady comes near the platform for a ball and you have 95kilos on your back, just go "ARRRRRRGGHHHHHHH!!!!" as if you were straining under the weight and about to die. Then continue set.

Elliot Royce
02-22-2007, 08:29 AM
Yoon: yes, I'll try for that one although I'll just be back from 2 months in Germany where I may not be able to lift. So maybe I'll just keep score or something. Gary Valentine is the host for that meet.

My story of the day was yesterday when I was in Equinox midtown (one of the only gyms to have an O lifting platform and bumpers). I had rejoined solely to use their O lifting equipment. There I was banging the weights around when a very peeved looking manager type came down and said, "Is everything alright? We've had some calls from upstairs on the noise." I just said, "that's because these are Olympic bumpers, they're meant to be dropped." He frowned and moved on. I guess they were meant for show or something!

Elliot Royce
02-23-2007, 10:40 AM
My whole motivation for O lifting is the ability to throw weights around and make lots of noise. Call me "Bam-Bam". That and the really large plates that intimidate everyone but really only weigh 10kg!

Besides if they don't like noise, have they heard some of the music that gets played in these places?

Yuen Sohn
02-26-2007, 07:28 PM
Arghh! I was blessed with a case of food poisoning this weekend that really threw off my schedule. Between looking for a new apartment, preparing for my move, art classes, work, and the occasional projectile vomiting, I haven't really had the time to head over to LBH or the gym.

I've been doing broomstick snatches so I (hopefully) won't be too rusty when I head to LBH on Wednesday.

Besides if they don't like noise, have they heard some of the music that gets played in these places?
haha, good point. Perhaps I'll sign up for a trial membership to test out the waters.

John Alston
03-01-2007, 06:12 AM
With 50k, were you jumping tall buildings on those backsquats?

Yuen Sohn
03-01-2007, 06:16 AM
With 50k, were you jumping tall buildings on those backsquats?

It sure felt like it. Coach told me to do these to complement the speed work.

John Alston
03-03-2007, 07:32 AM
Hamburger hands, nice.
Am trying to decide between trucking up to LBH or local gym, which has no oly but saves me hours in travel time on this nice nice Saturday.
Enjoy art class.

Yuen Sohn
03-06-2007, 05:20 AM
Change in plans. I was informed Monday that I need to attempt a simulated comp. total twice before the next formal competition (roughly once per 3 weeks).

I had to total sometime this week, so I figured what the hell and attempted today instead of Wednesday.

Snatch:

Warmed up to 60kg.

Attempt 1: 65kg, good
Attempt 2: 67.5kg, good
Attempt 3: 70kg, good (PR)

Clean and Jerk:

Warmed up to 75kg

Attempt 1: 80kg, miss
Attempt 2: 80kg, miss
Attempt 3: 80kg, good

Comments:
My timing catching the cleans was really off. I was pulling way too high and catching very low, so the bar would crash about 6 inches down on me, I think. On attempt 2, the bar whacked me in the throat. I caught attempt 3 off balance (forward), but managed to stand up with it, at the expense of my right butt cheek.

I had to work really, really hard for that 70kg snatch. The pulls are getting easier, but my OHS mechanics falter when I approach maximal weights...I just couldn't get my butt back and the weight on my heels.

I think I tried to rise twice, and finally got it on the third rise. I was happy to get it, but from the sound of it, my teammates were even more excited. I guess I was down in the squat for so long there was a great deal of suspense.

I'm FINALLY starting to get the feel of 'arms like ropes' and that's probably why my pulls felt stronger than usual last night.

Finished off with light OHS:
20x10
25x10
30x10

John Alston
03-06-2007, 06:12 AM
The snatch at 70 was epic. It was the loudest cheers I think I ever heard in training. Congrats, man.

Yuen Sohn
03-06-2007, 12:26 PM
Thanks!

I can't recall who screamed the loudest: Joe, Jeff, you, Dennis, Jimmy or Oskar. Good thing I was lifting on an empty bladder, as I really did exert myself on that one :D

Allen Yeh
03-07-2007, 03:25 AM
Awesome stuff on the Snatch PR!

Yuen Sohn
03-08-2007, 04:34 AM
Thanks Allen! 70 was the monkey on my back for a while...I'm hoping the road to 80 will be a bit smoother :)

Elliot Royce
03-12-2007, 07:49 PM
Sometimes the discouraging days are where you prompt the most response from your muscles!

On the multiple inputs, my coach recommends only one person giving you input. As you say, otherwise it's very distracting. Maybe you can find the most expert guy and ask him to corral the others.

John Alston
03-13-2007, 07:16 AM
Yoon
Squats go up. It's cool how that works. Thanks for all the beef.
I hope Smith gets the meet together, and I hope it's the 24th. It will be good to get a comp in before the Sablo, and it will be good if it gets us 3 weeks after to taper, and it will be good if we know ahead to we can plan around it.
Too much advice is trouble. Lately Savas has been around more, and I like his advice, but then, I haven't been getting bombarded (though I did a little at the end last night, when Jeff and Lenny double teamed me).

Yuen Sohn
03-13-2007, 09:56 AM
Elliot:
I agree. When I have a total flop of a workout (or any day for that matter), I tend to work extra hard to make something positive of it...either by getting a better feel for a movement, learning something new, or getting a PR.

I should also mention that a national level lifter showed up and was lifting on the platform behind me. That gave me a bit of extra motivation on the front squats :)

John:
Yeah, glad you liked the beef-in-a-cup. I'll see what meeting leftovers I can find for Wednesday and will hopefully remember to bring tupperware as opposed to using dixie cups! Man, we must have looked really attractive slurping down long strips of beef without utensils.

If Chris doesn't hold another meet, we should definitely have a simulated comp. Maybe devote one platform for warmup and one for the lifts.

Allen Yeh
03-15-2007, 03:18 AM
87.5x1 (PR)
-The comedians loading the bar told me it was 86...I made a move to adjust the plates a bit and Lenny said "Hey, don't look at the weights. Focus on the bar." As soon as I started the first pull, I knew they tricked me. Jokers:p

But it worked didn't it? Good stuff.

John Alston
03-15-2007, 08:29 AM
Yeah man, you now outlift Jimmy.Max attempts are fun.
And also, something worked recently, as you certainly are faster.

Mike ODonnell
03-15-2007, 12:11 PM
I'm just wondering...How this log has over 1800 hits??? :)

Yuen Sohn
03-15-2007, 03:53 PM
I'm just wondering...How this log has over 1800 hits???

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure about the 1800.

I do check in to refresh on my notes from any given day. Aside from me and my fellow PMers, my suspicions are:
-my friends to whom I've forwarded the log
-my enemies, who are hoping I fold into 2 pieces under a bad lift
-perhaps a bit of 'Vote for the Worst' action going on... http://www.votefortheworst.com/

John Alston
03-16-2007, 07:47 AM
More posts, more views.
Yoon has secret admirers, I bet.
Fred?

Rick Deckart
03-25-2007, 11:08 AM
Congratulations, keep up the good work.

Yuen Sohn
03-25-2007, 01:22 PM
Thanks Peter!

John Alston
03-25-2007, 04:53 PM
Strong work. Must be all the meat you eating.

Yuen Sohn
03-26-2007, 06:47 PM
A bit tight from totalling on Saturday, so I kept it light as planned:

Power Snatch Triples (from floor) - Rep 1, close grip;Rep 2, wider grip; Rep 3, regular grip...
(40x3)x4
(45x3)x3
(50x3)x3

Power Snatch Singles:
(50x1) x 4

Power Clean:
(50x3)x3
(60x2)x3
-Reduced weight since I was having problems with racking:
40x a lot of reps

High Hang Cleans:
(50x3)x4
(60x2)x4

Strong work. Must be all the meat you eating.

Yeah, I thought that 1.5 pounds of ground beef (and a crapload of veggies) bought on Saturday would last me a few days, but I polished it all off in less than 14 hours. I've been doing some championship eating the last 3 weeks.

Yuen Sohn
03-28-2007, 07:05 PM
Should have kept it light and focused on speed, but had to let off a bit of steam tonight.

Squat Snatch:
(40kg x3) x a lot
(50x2)x3
(55x2)x2
60x1
60xMiss
60x1
65x1
70x1
76x1

High Hang Cleans with Jerk:
(50x3)x5

Finished off with light front squats and pullups.

Comments:
I know it probably wasn't in my best interest to go that high, but whatever.

More importantly, my absolute biggest problem for the past 6 months was getting pinned at the bottom in the snatch. When at the bottom, I just COULD NOT get my body into position so that the weight would be on my heels. I used to think that the solution was to get my back squat to 120+ kilos, but what probably worked the best were the light GTG drop snatches...with a focus on aggressively getting my butt back (weight on heels) before rising and keeping the body tight. That said, I still need to increase my back squat to 120+.

Also, historically, any 'angry lifting' I've done translated to crappy lifting. Tonight, I was able to keep the crap to a minimum, relatively speaking:D

John Alston
03-29-2007, 01:40 PM
You are the machine.
I have to watch out as you are catching up to me and my fat ass. Time for the secret extra gear. Time for super cabbage slavic strength diet time.

Yuen Sohn
03-29-2007, 04:16 PM
John + Cabbage = Bad News

I will make sure to lift on the platform in front of you from now on.

Edited to Add:
Judging from your speed improvement with the dead hang snatch work from this past week, I wouldn't be surprised if you start blowing me away again.

Yuen Sohn
03-30-2007, 05:13 PM
Back Squats:
(185x5)x5

errr, I mean (84x5)x5

On the street this evening, I overheard some guy ask his friend how many pounds equal a kilogram, and I had to use every bit of restraint to stop myself from screaming "2.2!!!!!! 2.2!!!!!!"

Yuen Sohn
04-02-2007, 06:33 PM
I don't really remember much from this workout. My plan going in was to work up to 90pct snatch and clean and jerk.

Snatch:
Started with 40kg
Worked up to a single with 70kg...felt ok, but not solid.
Should have stopped there but took another shot at 70. Multiple misses followed. OK elevation, but bad bar trajectory. Also, upper body felt like jello and I just couldn't lock anything overhead.

Tried doing clean and jerks but flopped with 60...just couldn't rack it.

Finished with remedial snatch pulls from below the knee...keep bar close to body.

I will forget today ever happened and start fresh on Wednesday...

Yuen Sohn
04-04-2007, 06:54 PM
Focus on speed today.

Close Grip Power Snatches:
(40x3)x3
(45x3)x3

Regular Power Snatches:
(45x3)x a lot
(50x1 + 1 OHS)x5
(55x1 + 1 OHS)x4
-missed 2 of 4 at 55...not enough elevation on bar.

High Hang Cleans:
Worked up to 60kg
-was REALLY slow today

Power Clean with Split Jerk:
Up to 60 kg

Clean Pulls:
worked up to triples with 90...not enough shrug so dropped back down to 70.

Dynamic Shrugs:
(60kgx15) x 3 ...shoulders to the ears, no arm bend.

Comments: Feeling a bit slow. Been eating crap the past few days. Eating better now.

Elliot Royce
04-09-2007, 10:35 AM
Yoon:
What's a high hang clean? Is that where you just dip very, very slightly as opposed to a regular hang clean where you dip a bit more?

Elliot

Yuen Sohn
04-09-2007, 11:36 AM
Hi Elliot,
I'm not sure if my terminology is 100% correct, but I think you've got the idea. The intent is to minimize the hip extension/shrug and instead, focus on racing against gravity and catching the barbell as fast as possible. I find this helps my speed in getting into the catch position.

Of course, I REALLY should be mixing in cleans from FULL extension -- starting position has the arms straight, shoulders shrugged, and weight on the balls of your feet...but I'm too chicken for that these days, even with an empty bar :D

Maybe I will try some from full ext. tonight, as I'm planning a light and fast workout.

Pierre Auge
04-09-2007, 11:47 AM
Yoon,
that would be called a tall clean, just for posterity.

Yuen Sohn
04-09-2007, 06:56 PM
Got off to a rough start even though I was going light. Was really stinking things up for the first 20 minutes or so. Chilled out for half an hour to wait for the crowd to disperse a bit (it was REALLY packed today).

Worked snatch triples with 40kg and finished with 3 singles at 60.

Warmed up for C&J with tall cleans (thanks Pierre).

Worked clean and jerk to 70kg.

Finished with 3 sets of 5 front squats at 60.

It was getting late so I had to catch the train...

Comments:
Ughh, the first pulls tonight, especially on the cleans, felt really weak. Iím hoping thatís not a sign of things to come.

Yuen Sohn
04-11-2007, 06:09 PM
Went pretty light today.

Snatch Doubles:
1 Power Snatch/1 Squat Snatch
40kgx3
45kgx2
50kgx2

Power Clean & Jerk/Tall Clean & Jerk
40kg x ?
50kg x 2?
60kg x 2
65kg x 2?

Back Squats:
(50x5)x3

Nice, light and fast workout.

Felt really nice today, like I did when I snatched 76 the other week. Really got the sense of arms like ropes and was getting good extension on a lot of the lifts.

Lifted in my singlet today. My Ukranian lifting buddy was amazed that someone with thighs as big as mine could have such a weak squat. Thanks Oskar.

Bodyweight today, with socks, underwear, singlet and full stomach: 73kg

John Alston
04-13-2007, 07:55 AM
I can bring the camera but I will need a shooter.
Dude! I hope you slept better than I did last night. Werner Herzog might not be the best way to relax before bed...
Still feeling strong, though. YOON WILL HIT PRS I PREDICT!

Yuen Sohn
04-13-2007, 10:10 AM
...YOON WILL HIT PRS I PREDICT!

Hope so. I will say for sure that I will be eating PRs in BBQ brisket afterwards.

Thanks Mike. Keep up the good work. I don't know what they're feeding you up there, but keep eating and doing what you're doing...everyone was impressed by your lifting.

Yuen Sohn
04-14-2007, 03:47 PM
Well, I'm disappointed with how I did, but then there's always next time.

Of all the days to be struck with insomnia, it couldn't have come at a worse time. I was in bed by 11PM, but didn't fall asleep until well after 5:00 AM and woke up at 8:30. I spent the morning chugging coffee and Red Bull (I've never considered drinking Red Bull before, but I was that desperate and tired).

Weighed in at 71.5 kg.

Snatch:
-Opened with 70 and just missed...I should have gotten that!!
-Nailed 70 on attempt 2, but in my jubilation and sleep deprivation, dropped it before the down signal. AHHH!!!!!!!
-Missed 76
I am constantly replaying in my head the prematurely dropped 70....ahhhhh!!!

Clean and Jerk:
-Made 85 easy
-Cleaned 91 with a 3-step duckwalk, but had slight pressout on jerk I think - PR Clean
-Made 91 - PR Clean and Jerk

Comments:
For next time, try to get more than 3 hours of sleep.
Time warmups better, especially on the snatch...I went up to 65 and had too much time to kill. Ended up standing around, and taking more lifts than I should to stay warm.

On the bright side, I C&J'd 200 lbs for the first time. And I would not have chosen a different opener on the snatch as I was willing to take the chance of bombing out in order to hit 80. Next time.

For the summer, I would like to increase my snatch confidence. I also want to get my clean and jerk to 100kgs.

For non-oly stuff, I'd like to work towards a muscle-up. Maybe a freestanding handstand pushup as well.

I will post a brief write up in the Weightlifting forum once my videos upload...

John Alston
04-14-2007, 04:06 PM
Hey man, a tough day but you did the weights, you had them up, so you know that it's all there. With 5 hours sleep, u make those lifts.

Elliot Royce
04-15-2007, 05:20 PM
Sorry to have missed it, but surely at your level (which is ahead of me) simply to have competed and lifted some pretty heavy weights (a body weight snatch for me is something like 105kg -- not on the cards for me for years!).

It's the failure that teaches you how to succeed. The next time you'll be better for it.

How was Gary in action? I just see him in his relaxed, coaching mode. Did he give you the "hi-yaaaa" as he lifted?

Yuen Sohn
04-18-2007, 06:30 PM
Ooops, forgot to come up with a plan post-Sablo. Just did a pretty unstructured day.

Tried a few light squat snatches but my body wasn't agreeing with that.

Power Snatches to 65kg. Multiple misses at 70...the bodyweight power snatch will have to come some other time.

Clean and Jerks:
Up to a single at 85...felt ok, just a bit slow catching.

Back Squats:
60kgx5
80x3
90x3
100x2
Tried a second double but got pinned on 2nd rep.

I'll probably resume the high volume speed drills Jeff recommended (I guess that sort of fell apart by the time I added the 7th set @ 40kg, due to meets and stuff). I have the whole summer to work on that now.

Also, get my back squat higher. I'm C&J'ing 91% and snatching 76% of my recent best back squat. I'll do some squat program shopping...I like the sound of Steve Shafley's ladders.

Elliot: Yeah, Gary did indeed do the "HI-YAHHH!" He was pretty intense on the platform. Pretty sharp contrast with his soft-spoken and laid back coaching style.

Dave Paton
04-24-2007, 09:45 AM
I stopped by and trained at the Lost Battalion Hall last Thursday. I don't think you were there. Not sure about any of the other posters here because I didn't really meet the other lifters. However, it was a great experience and Artie was really helpful. It was my first experience with an experienced coach. I did find it a tad odd that no one kept a log of what they were doing (I guess that's what you do here). Artie told me that he writes programs for you guys but I didn't see anyone following anything written down. I live in Tucson but I will probably be back later this summer. See you there!

Dave Paton
04-24-2007, 09:48 AM
Oh yeah, check out Gayle Hatch's squat program. I am in the 7th of 12 weeks and have seen some good gains. There is a link on the Mike's Gym website--go to the "programs" link. It has a spreadsheet all formulated already.

Yuen Sohn
04-24-2007, 04:37 PM
Hi Dave,
Sorry to have missed you. Yeah, I train on Mondays and Wednesdays most of the time with Coach Triolo. Artie's team (Invictus) trains Tuesdays and Thursdays. Great to hear you got some first-rate coaching!

Thanks for the feedback on the Hatch program...that's definitely a possibility for me.

Yuen Sohn
04-24-2007, 04:48 PM
I've had some minor tenderness below my knee for the past few weeks. My coach thinks there's probably some slight inflammation of the patellar tendon. I actually don't notice it 99% of the time, but am taking the week off out of caution (I'm sure duckwalking a max-attempt clean 2 weeks ago probably didn't help my cause). Lots of ice, stretching, and rest.

I haven't gotten sick for about a year, but am starting to feel the faint signs of a superbug that's been going around the office. So I'll be mostly sleeping and eating -- I'm sure my knee is grateful for that. I'm dying to do get back to lifting and maybe doing some metcon...will shoot for middle of next week.

And as an unrelated rant: a portion of my bathroom ceiling collapsed on my toilet today (no, I wasn't sitting on it at the time...though that would have been pretty special).

John Alston
04-28-2007, 05:04 AM
I forsee a well rested and recovered Yoon making great progress upon return.

Elliot Royce
04-28-2007, 10:02 AM
I remember after exams in college I would feel drained and tend to catch colds. With all the preparation and adrenaline with the meet, you're probably just in recovery mode. Feel better soon.

Yuen Sohn
05-02-2007, 07:21 PM
I don't know if it was the form adjustments from Monday, but my mechanics were kind of off today...

Squat Snatches:
(40x3)x3
(50x2)x2
(55x0)x2--> 2 misses, wtf?
(55x1)x5-->made 5, missed 3 in front of me. Usually I can save the lift at this weight, but I didn't have the desire in me today.
I'm assuming this is just a glitch and things will fall into place next week :eek:

Jerks from the Rack:
(50x2)x2
(60x2)x2
65x2
70x2
75x2

-Ugh, lowering that 75 onto my shoulders didn't feel so good.
-Wobbly arms and shoulders from 70kg onwards, so took some weight off...

50x2
(40x2)x3
Need to have more active traps in holding bar overhead I think.

Back Squat (I was gonna try Hatch program, but I forgot to print out the schedule so I just winged it for today):
60x5
70x4
80x3
90x2
100x1
105x2 (first 105 since last Dec I think?)
112.5 (PR)
-The last one was a 'Screaming Squat,' hehheh

Finished with 2 sets of 10 chinups.

Comments:
Hmmm, I think I need to do more core work. Minus the squats, I felt 'wobbly' today.

John Alston
05-03-2007, 06:14 AM
You left out the part last night where your shirtlessness attracted all kinds of "attention from the crowd."

Yuen Sohn
05-07-2007, 06:17 PM
LBH...

Power Snatch Complex (1 Power Snatch, 1 Overhead Squat, 1 Hang Power Snatch from below the knees, 1 Overhead Squat):
40x3
45x3
50x4

Power Clean form corrections:
40kg x a gazillion
50kg x a gazillion

Power Clean Complex (1 Power Clean, 1 Hang Power Clean from below the knees, 1 Front Squat, 1 Jerk):
50x3
60x3
70x1 (a bit sloppy so dropped to 65)
65x3

More Power Clean form corrections:
50kg x a gazillion

A fun practice. Will do more form drills on Wednesday with super light weight for the power cleans.

Yuen Sohn
05-17-2007, 01:26 AM
Deal!

Yuen Sohn
05-21-2007, 06:27 PM
Nice and Light...

Full snatches:
Worked up to doubles at 50. Still some issues with the catch.

Switched to Tall Snatches:
(40x3)x3
(45x2)x3
-Felt really good and solid

Clean and Jerks:
Worked up to 2 singles at 70. Catch/Rack getting better. Still issues with rear foot.

Got pretty late, so headed home...

Did 3 sets of 10 Handstand Pushups (last set was broken, 4,4,2)
50 situps.

Derek Simonds
05-22-2007, 03:41 AM
Congrats on the 1 year mark.

Yuen Sohn
05-23-2007, 06:41 PM
Lifting in a meet this Sat.
Super light...just keeping things loose.

Tall Snatch warmup

Squat Snatches:
(40kgx3)x4
(45kgx3)x4

Power Clean/Tall Squat Cleans/Jerk(s) Complex

40x2 (2 jerks)
45x1 (2 jerks)
(50x1)x3 (1 jerk each rep)
(55x1)x3 (1 jerk each rep)
(60x1)x3 (1 jerk each rep)

Finished off with Jerks at 40kg...making sure my split stance is ok.

Congrats on the 1 year mark.

Thanks Derek!

John Alston
05-24-2007, 05:58 AM
Kick ass Saturday!

Yuen Sohn
05-26-2007, 06:14 PM
For my weight class, 155kg was the minimum total to qualify. First place guarantees spot on the NYC team to compete in late July I think.

Bodyweight: 72 kg

Snatch:
65 good
70 good
76 good

Clean and Jerk:
85 good
90 good
95 (made clean - quite smoothly!, missed jerk; PR clean)

It was just me and 2 other guys in my class, incl. one of my teammates. I managed to edge him out by 1kg (he snatched 75 and missed 2 95s). It really could have gone either way, though. And he wants my blood now :)

The warmup area was just the back of the room behind the audience. There was 1 men's and 1 women's bar sharing 1 set of weights. It was pretty much a conga line of men and women lifting to warm up. My warmup went really well for a change. Because the conditions were so hectic, I actually had to really think, time, and plan things out. Started warmup about 15 minutes prior to lift and that seemed to work well.

I'm kind of curious what my front squat is these days, since last I checked my max was 100.

The bag of apples I was feasting on throughout the day was a life-saver.

John Alston
05-27-2007, 07:03 AM
Nice work! Wish I was there. Shoulda taken a pice of Jimmy eating the white bread.

Elliot Royce
05-27-2007, 09:51 AM
Congrats! By the way, are you guys interested in Club Valentine's August 8th meet in Trumbull, CT? Gary does this every year and takes over the local Velocity sports with several platforms, a photographer, and it may even be webcast this year. I might be able to give you a ride from a local train station if you're interested.

Yuen Sohn
05-27-2007, 07:11 PM
Thanks Elliot!
I expect a good-size turnout of LBH lifters at the Connecticut Open, myself included, so I'll see you then! I think we've got rides covered, but will definitely let you know. Thank you very much for the offer.

Yuen Sohn
05-27-2007, 08:56 PM
So I tried doing some light snatching today, but that didn't work out so well. Plus my right thigh is a bit achey since I dropped a 60kg warmup snatch on it yesterday...I was in the process of dropping the bar when I saw my teammate Jess about to snatch. Not wanting to distract her by dropping the weight, I braced the fall with my right thigh at the last second. In retrospect, I should have just let it fall since she was pretty much in the zone, so she told me later.

Oh, here is a vid from Saturday. I'm at 4:19 and 5:03...I should have driven under the bar harder for that last jerk. Thanks for taking it Mike!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYpRR2yJu98

Edited to Add: It was such a nice day out, I headed out to the park with some of the CrossFit NYC folks to check out a CircusYoga demonstration in Sheep's Meadow. I didn't participate, but it looked fun. Keith Wittenstein helped me out with my handstands and forward rolls on the grass. Also tried some fireman's carries.

Yuen Sohn
05-30-2007, 07:04 PM
Feeling ultra clumsy today. For snatch, lots of misses with 50kg.
Switched to cleans...even worse.
Snatch pulls not so hot either.

Just finished up with pullups and knees-to-elbows. Then some bicep curls and bench press with like, no weight.

Not a big deal. Next week I'll go hard. May do a metcon tomorrow.

John Alston
05-31-2007, 06:44 PM
Not a big deal. Next week I'll go hard. May do a metcon tomorrow.

Where was the metcon? Where were the tabata front squats?

Yuen Sohn
05-31-2007, 07:06 PM
Where was the metcon? Where were the tabata front squats?

Ahhh shit! Busted.

I guess I still have 1 hour and 55 minutes to come up with something...most likely not.

Yuen Sohn
06-02-2007, 11:02 AM
Met up with the CrossFit NYC folks for a park workout at Ross Pinetum Playground.

5 Rounds:
25 squats
25 pushups
30 pullups

I scaled the pullups to 20 for the first round. 15 the next. By the third round and onwards, I just scaled to 10 (and these were ugly). My kipping ability stinks, so I did dead hangs. But it was nice to get a metcon in. I remember last summer I was rocking these park workouts, but today I was hurting.

Yuen Sohn
06-04-2007, 08:08 PM
I started off feeling good, but for some reason it didn't end that way.

Power Snatches:
Doubles to 60kg. I tried 65, but completely missed. It's really frustrating because I was power snatching 67.5 a month or two ago and really thought I'd be at bodyweight + for the power snatch by now.
Finished off with three doubles at 55. Good, consistent 'pop' now, but I could extend a lot more on the pull. Need to work on that.

Power Cleans:
Started off with light weight, but tight wrist was making things difficult. Overall, it was a mess. Also, was working on 1st pull form corrections, but I just got frustrated fast. I actually slammed the bar down and this may have been the most frustrated I've been in a while.

Finished off with some backsquat doubles at 100kg, but even those were a chore.

Jeff and Joe came up to me afterwards. They sensed I was really aggravated and laid out a few things:
1.) Regressing periodically in the lifts is normal. I just have to ride these out.
2.) I need to eat a lot more
3.) I should try going light Monday and Wednesday and hard on Saturday, since by the time I get to practice on weekdays, I've been awake for 12-14+ hours and am not particularly fresh. Maybe try to squeeze in a few morning sessions at a local gym instead of evenings at LBH.
4.) I need to eat a lot more

Comments:
Sometimes -- especially today -- it feels like I'm playing Whack-a-Mole with the lifts. Just when I think I've hammered away one problem, another surfaces.

Though lifting-wise things were far from good, overall it was a pretty nice day. My good friend who relocated to India on assignment appeared at my office door seemingly out of nowhere, and we spent a good hour+ catching up.

Fresh start on Wednesday...

John Alston
06-05-2007, 09:24 AM
2.) I need to eat a lot more
4.) I need to eat a lot more

How's your fridge working these days? Are you going to be able sto store the dozens of eggs, pounds of meat, and bushels of veggies you need? Huh?

I think I need to eat more eggs.

Yuen Sohn
06-06-2007, 07:34 PM
Some bandit ran off with the scrap of paper I call a journal, so this is from memory...

Power Snatches:
(40kgx3)x3
(45x3)x2
(50x2)x2
60x2
60x1
65x1
65x1
67.5 Miss
67.5x1
70 miss 3 times...enough elevation on attempt 2, just flubbed the dip.

-worked in some power snatch/tall squat snatch complex (40kgs)x5

Power Clean and Power Jerk:
40x2
50x2
60x1, very wobbly on power jerk!...don't do these very often.
70x1, power jerk PR
80x1, power clean PR
85x1, PR, but the power clean was rather ugly. Power jerk felt really good

Been showing up at the gym really late these days, so I've been fitting in what I can before closing.

How's your fridge working these days? Are you going to be able sto store the dozens of eggs, pounds of meat, and bushels of veggies you need? Huh?

Fridge works ok now, but with work, lifting, and other stuff these days I've been too lazy to go grocery shopping, let alone cook. I'm a regular at the Renaissance Diner on 9th Avenue. Don't worry, I'm eating plenty of meat and vegetables.

Elliot Royce
06-07-2007, 08:33 AM
Those are impressive numbers, Yoon. Clearly I'm going to have to redouble my efforts particularly given that I outweigh you by 30k.

Yuen Sohn
06-08-2007, 01:04 PM
Thanks Elliot! There's a lot of progress being made by my teammates, so I'm always either looking over my shoulder or playing catch up:D

Among the newer lifters on the team (~1 year or less) there is
1.) an intense, 21-year-old future fitness celebrity who badly wants to outlift me
2.) a guy in my weight class who does outlift me and is making some insane progress these days
3.) a 69kg female lifter who is on track to C&J more than me soon
4.) an unscrupulous character -- who will remain anonymous -- that is almost snatching 90 now and may very well cut down to the 77kg weight class

Keeps me motivated, but in a fun way. Gotta get my technique down and squat numbers up, cause I'm mostly relying on sheer 'idiot strength' these days ;)

Seriously though, I've been checking your log and you're doing a great job.

Elliot Royce
06-08-2007, 04:00 PM
Thanks Yoon. It's fun to keep tabs on each other although the anonymous other must be very anxious about your progress as I otherwise can not explain how your log has been viewed 3500+ times. Mr. A must check for your progress every minute. Either that or your old Yoon Tang tag attracted some porn searchers with a confused sense of spelling.

Yuen Sohn
06-09-2007, 04:45 PM
Rare Saturday session.

Squat snatches:
Worked up to a single at 70kg
3 or 4 misses at 75. Zoinks!

Clean and Jerks:
Worked up to a single at 80kg.
Missed clean at 90...didn't even attempt to rack.

Everything felt extremely heavy today.

Finished off with 100kg clean pulls, 2 sets of 3.

Hung out in Rego Park for the afternoon. Had a fun talk with John about Fat Bastard Club merchandise, women, etc.

Good times except...
Stupid R train took forever today. Took over an hour to get home.

And why the hell don't they sell power adapters with CD players anymore??

Yuen Sohn
06-09-2007, 05:27 PM
Had a talk with one of the LBH lifters, Oskar, after practice. He's extremely strong for his size and has been lifting for a long time. While he's quite a jokester, he is actually very reserved in offering other people any specific lifting critiques...I think because he's adamant that too much input is counterproductive.

I asked him today for more specifics and he shared his program with me. He only works one lift a day and squats 3 times a week. Mondays are cleans/jerks and Wednesdays are snatches. Back squats are done Monday and Saturday. Front squats are done Wednesday. He will do back strengthening exercises such as good mornings and stiff-legged deadlifts, but never on front squat days.

It's interesting to hear other lifters' training programs.

Yuen Sohn
06-11-2007, 06:33 PM
...the anonymous other must be very anxious about your progress as I otherwise can not explain how your log has been viewed 3500+ times. Mr. A must check for your progress every minute. Either that or your old Yoon Tang tag attracted some porn searchers with a confused sense of spelling.

I have a feeling that a number of my teammates are lurking in the shadows. Then there's that 21-year-old guy I mentioned previously whose sole mission for the time being is to outlift me...he might be good for a solid 800 views or so, heheh. He snatched 78 tonight.

I also share almost the same name with a not-so-unattractive Korean actress, so maybe I'm getting hits from her fanboys as well.

John Alston
06-11-2007, 07:38 PM
I think ladders will be a good way to bump your squat while still allowing you to focus on the lifts.
Soon we'll see this with double the weight NO DOUBT!
http://www.lostbattalionhallweightlifting.org/images/Yoon%20Sohn%20-%201.jpg

Yuen Sohn
06-11-2007, 07:52 PM
Man!!!! Of course the photo shoot happened to be on my light day...I didn't see any cameras out tonight :p
Then again, that may have been my near-max when the picture was taken.

Those super sweaty pits are pretty classy, btw. I'm not sure what's up with the dress socks either.

John Alston
06-12-2007, 04:56 AM
Yep! we should have captured your picture perfect snatch at 77.5. Excellent lift!

Yuen Sohn
06-12-2007, 07:39 PM
Just writing myself a reminder of what Joe had me do if/when I find myself jumping forward in the snatch again.

1.) Place tip of toes at a line (drawn) on the platform and drill hanging squat snatches with 40kg or less.
2.) Squat snatch from high hang. Repeat until feet finish at or behind the line.
3.) Squat snatch from the hang, just above the knees.
4.) Squat snatch from below the knees.
5.) Squat snatch from the floor.

and shift weight from toes to heel during first pull to maximize leverage.

John Alston
06-13-2007, 07:24 PM
Dude, that was a wicked clean, great save on the rack, way to steady, hold, and not rise until you were set. Takes a "rock-solid bottom position" to be able to do that.
Yeah, I am posting before you update the log. I need to go to bed soon.

Elliot Royce
06-13-2007, 07:33 PM
Impressive cleans....what is your max front squat? I sorta feel that my front squat needs to be 30k higher than the C&J to feel comfortable catching the weight low but maybe that's a misconception.

John Alston
06-14-2007, 06:17 AM
The "rock-solid" quote by Lenny made me laugh out loud. I think people are sometimes startled that I spend so much time in the bottom position, pondering the meaning of life...

Rock solid bottom position... K-BoS... I sense a theme, a legend growing...

Elliot Royce
06-16-2007, 11:14 AM
I think people are sometimes startled that I spend so much time in the bottom position

That startles me, too. I prefer the top myself....

what the heck is a "plinth"?

Yuen Sohn
06-17-2007, 11:41 AM
If I had to guess, plinths = blocks??

Man, these handouts I'm reading must be pretty ancient.

Yuen Sohn
06-20-2007, 06:27 PM
Lifting in a meet this Sunday.

Light.
No notes today.

Squat snatch triples to 50kg. Speedy

Tall Cleans/Clean and Jerks to 70kg.

Right shoulder has been feeling gimpy this week. Ice, ice and more ice.

Saw a guy doing smelling salts during his practice session. He was quite intense.

John Alston
06-20-2007, 06:39 PM
That's why I'm the king!

Allen Yeh
06-29-2007, 04:04 AM
"Murph"
For time:
1 mile Run
100 Pull-ups
200 Push-ups
300 Squats
1 mile Run

A bit over an hour.

Did you do the middle part partitioned or straight through efforts?

Yuen Sohn
06-30-2007, 02:35 PM
Forgot notepad today.

Squat clean and jerks to 80kg.
Missed clean at 90 twice (bar too far forward...usually I can fight to save, but today there was no fight).

Front squat doubles to 100kg x 2.

Joe said I'm using my arms too much on cleans today. Too much of a pause in the dip prior to jerk as well.

Yuen Sohn
07-01-2007, 11:19 AM
Split jerks from the rack:

Worked up to ~60kg

Threw in some tall cleans at ~55kg.

Yuen Sohn
07-16-2007, 08:21 PM
Snatches to 65.
Lots of misses at 70.
Chilled out in the back room.
Came back and hit 70
then 75
3 misses at 80

I can't tell what else I did this workout as my handwriting is crap.

Yuen Sohn
07-16-2007, 08:24 PM
Tall snatches:
(43.2x3)x5
Some power snatches 52.3

Power clean and power jerk to 65.9

Front Squat Singles to 102.3kg x 5 sets...PR? Too lazy to check.

Couldn't drop weights, so had to keep it light.

Yuen Sohn
07-16-2007, 08:26 PM
Gimpy shoulder.
Jerks from the rack...problems with shoulder up to 75kg.

Front Squats:
A bunch at 90
Worked up to a single at 110kg (PR)
Fail at 115kg

Clean pulls:
70x2
100x2
110x2 (PR)
120x2 (PR)
130F

Yuen Sohn
07-16-2007, 08:29 PM
Morning Session:
Snatches to 60.
Feeling tight.

Power snatches from the hang:
(50x3)x6

Some other assistance stuff I forgot to write down.

Afternoon Session:
CJs to 87.5kg. Nice pop on the jerk.

Totally drained at this point.
Finished off with some back squats at 70kg...more a form check than anything else.

Yuen Sohn
07-16-2007, 08:31 PM
Out of town for work. Had to improvise at the hotel gym (brought my lifting shoes with me).

Did clean pulls with EZ curl bar and every weight from the Smith Machine I could fit on the bar...111kgs

Went for a swim afterwards. Then hot tub.

Yuen Sohn
07-16-2007, 08:33 PM
Swimming for 20 mins.
Not much better than a doggie paddle, but still enjoyable.

Yuen Sohn
07-16-2007, 08:34 PM
~ 25 minutes of laps.

Yuen Sohn
07-16-2007, 08:37 PM
Snatches to 70.
Some misses at 75.
Not feeling it.

Power clean and push press/split jerk:
60x?
70x? (Push Press PR)
75x1 (Push Press PR)
80x1 (fail on PP).

Dennis was paying close attention to my form. He recommended narrowing my stance and maintaining better timing/control of the dip. The 80 flew up so fast I almost lost it behind me.

Squat Clean and Jerks.
Singles up to 90kg. Nice jerk.

Went for 100kg 3 times. Sprained wrist on 3rd clean attempt. Fuck.

Yuen Sohn
07-16-2007, 08:41 PM
Joe gave me heat today for making the jump from 90 to 100 on the cleans Saturday (he had left early that day so I was pretty much on my own). I should have known better. Next time 90-->95-->100

Wrist heavily wrapped. A bit tender, so just did what I felt comfortable with.

Power Snatches to 50kg.
Then Squat Snatches to 70 (one miss, one make). Mark said I pulled the first 70 very high and fast and it looked like it caught me by surprise. My catch has been sucking big-time lately.

Back Squats. A lot at 100kg. Finished up with a triple, then a set of 4, then 5. I actually felt a lot stronger as the sets progressed.

Snatch grip shrugs:
3 sets of 15 at 70kgs.

Pullups.

Yuen Sohn
07-18-2007, 06:11 PM
Heavy rains and severe flooding wiped out subway service beyond Queens Plaza, so no LBH today. No way in Hell I'm hopping on a bus as the rest of the population of Queens tries to get home.

Stopped by CrossFitNYC to do C&Js but my wrist, despite being heavily wrapped, did not agree at all. Just stuck with power snatches to 135 pounds before people showed up for the WOD.

I'm extremely bummed about the hand/wrist, but we'll see what happens. At least I didn't get caught in that massive steampipe explosion across the street from my office.

John Alston
07-21-2007, 02:30 PM
Who's House? Run's House!

Nice 80 snatch, beeotch.

Yuen Sohn
07-21-2007, 03:37 PM
Absolute pandemonium at LBH. Too many lifters, too little platforms.

Power snatch, OHS, snatch drop warmups with the bar.

Power Snatches:
Platforms got crowded fast, so started with 50kgs instead of the usual 40. Did 2 triples of power snatches with 50. Threw in some OHS. Feeling tight.

Onwards to squat snatches:
(50x2)x2
60x2
65x1
70x1
75 miss
75x1 (mechanics rising out of squat felt better on this one)
80 miss
80x1 PR (I was told I kept this one extremely close to the body)

Clean and Jerks:
50x1
60x1
70x1
80x1
90 made clean, wrist wouldn't let me get it overhead.

Called it a day

Comments:
Bunch of stupid assholes driving on Queens Blvd.

Yuen Sohn
07-21-2007, 03:41 PM
Who's House? Run's House!

Nice 80 snatch, beeotch.

Thanks! I always mentally blank out when the bar passes the knees. I honestly was pretty surprised when I caught it and locked it out.

The road to 80 felt a lot smoother than the one to 70...not sure which took longer, but I know 67.5 was a serious monkey on my back. The skirt steak you missed after practice was especially moist and flavorful today.

Yuen Sohn
07-23-2007, 07:13 PM
Ran through warmup progression:

Snatch:
40x2
50x1x2
60x1x2 (missed 1st one)
65x1
70x1

then 5 singles at 60 for speed work.

CJ:
warmup with a bunch of power clean/tall clean/jerks with 40
50x1
60x1
70x1
80x1
90...whoops lost track and shouldn't have gone this high. Missed jerk.

My issue (now with the hand/thumb) is making it very difficult to get 80 overhead. This will probably be my last workout before Empires. Just ice, rest and stretches from now on. It is quite possible I will snatch more than CJ on Friday.

4.5 hours sleep last night. Really tired now.

John Alston
07-24-2007, 06:46 AM
Moist skirt steaks and great snatches, what a Saturday... or is that great skirt steaks and...
Sleep it up, man, all week. You can't get stronger from training before this weekend, only from resting, so stay loose and tend your wrist.
Sleep it up!
Hopefully you can get some video of the Empires. I'll throw it on the team DVD if someone shoots.

Yuen Sohn
07-27-2007, 06:09 PM
Weighed in at 72.9 kg.

Man, my snatch warmups stunk! Fell flat on my ass with 60kg twice. Barely made 65. Was going to open with 75, but coach dropped me down to 70.

For clean and jerk warmups, wrist/hand started affecting things around 80kg. Dropped from 90kg opener to 85kg.

Snatch:
70kg make (barely, almost ran off the platform).
75 make. Felt better than the 70.
78 make (competition PR).

C&J:
85kg make.
93kg make (C&J PR, more importantly Jerk PR).
97kg make (C&J PR).

My 20-year-old teammate whom I edged at qualifiers edged me this time by 3kg. He C&J'd 103. Oh well. The Toll House chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwich I ate afterwards turned my frown upside down (it doesn't take much to cheer me up). And I'm happy for him as he's been working his ass off these days.

And a big shout-out to Chevanne (sp???) at Kneaded Bodyworks.

Edited to add:
Photos here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/51886582@N00/)

Elliot Royce
07-27-2007, 06:12 PM
97kg at 72.9kg is pretty damn impressive to me. See you in a week or so.

Yuen Sohn
07-27-2007, 07:45 PM
Thanks Elliot! Look forward to meeting you.

John Alston
08-01-2007, 06:38 AM
My 20-year-old teammate whom I edged at qualifiers edged me this time by 3kg. He C&J'd 103. Oh well.

Photos here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/51886582@N00/)

103, damn, he's breathing down my neck! But I have some secrets left in the bag to pull out...

Yuen Sohn
08-05-2007, 08:07 PM
Weighed in at 73.7kg (and this was after I purged what seemed to be at least 1kg...sorry, TMI).

Had no idea what to expect going into today.

Warmup was nuts because one minute I was told I had 10-12 attempts before me, then the next it was 3. Whoops.

Snatch:
75kg Miss (lost it behind me)
75kg Make
79kg Make (Competition PR)

Clean and Jerk:
92kg Make
97kg Make (tied Comp. PR)
100kg Make (PR)...not sure how the Hell I held this.

I think I missed 3rd place by 1kg...doh! It was a lot of fun though, and it feels great to be finally in the triple digits.

General Observations:
I felt pretty light and springy today. On my snatches, I just thought "When the bar passes my knees, I'm just going to extend with everything I got." I felt like I had 82 in me, but alas, lifted conservatively due to missed opener.

It was a Performance Menu party there...I think we had like 6 or 7 people there. Extremely cool. Pics to follow as soon as I finish eating.

Yuen Sohn
08-12-2007, 05:17 PM
LBH retreat in upstate NY. Feeling a bit fried after Empires and CT Open. Long, odd hours at work weren't helping.

Friday:
Damp and rainy. Rest and recovery.

Saturday:

Morning Session:
Power snatches to 60
Feeling REALLY tight
Some squat snatches to 55

Light back squats.

Afternoon session:
Squat cleans (no jerk due to recovering wrist)
Some other stuff

Swimming.

Evening Session:
Sat out the push press and squat comps.

Sunday:
Squat snatches to 65
Front squats. 60x4, 70x4, 80x4, 90x4, 100 FAIL - OH MY!
Dynamic Shrugs: 80x10, 90x10, 100x8

More swimming.

Photos Here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/51886582@N00/sets/72157601395496384/)

David Tieu
08-13-2007, 11:15 PM
i touch myself when i see your pictures

Yuen Sohn
08-14-2007, 08:08 AM
Well, at least the mystery of the ~5000 hits on my journal has finally been solved.

David Tieu
08-15-2007, 09:37 PM
what's a pyramid?

Yuen Sohn
08-17-2007, 06:36 PM
what's a pyramid?
You mean the ladders? There's a post on the PM here:
http://performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1100

Our Jeff Scott is a huge fan of these types of gradual progressions (not necessarily just ladders, but any type of program where you use structured, progressive loading). I guess the tough thing for me is staying committed to them, as some days Joe wants me doing something entirely different, squat-wise.

David Tieu
08-17-2007, 07:56 PM
Not sure what you mean by "strength background". I did powerlifting and martial arts prior to olympic weightlifting. I wasn't very strong; my max dead was only 300 lbs at 150 lbs. I can probably pull that same weight 5x5 now.

As for the snatch- I did lots of close-grip hang snatches. 40 and 50 kilos for triples. i couldn't do regular snatches from the ground because all I had at the time was a shitty 40 dollar weight set from modells. 130 lbs in total. The bar was 5' long. I just worked on my extension and on keeping the bar as close to my body as possible.

Clean and jerk- All I did was clean and jerk. Thinking back, i always made the most progress in my lifts when i kept everything simple.

David Tieu
08-18-2007, 10:21 PM
you will probably find that you're able to deadlift a shitload more than you think in the upcoming month.

it's just a matter of training your cns for a new movement. The actual strength is already there.

I get the same sensation myself when i go for a max lift. I don't think the deads will help much with that

Yuen Sohn
08-22-2007, 06:57 PM
Not the best of days, lifting-wise.
Bunch of power snatches...miss at 60. Chill out for 20 minutes and reset.

Power snatches to 65. 2 misses at 70.

Back Squat ladder:
105:
1, Splat!

Some power shrugs at 60.
Chinups.
Fooled around with some pistols.

Tried to rack a barbell...some slight pain still, but getting better.

Some thoughts on why I was so sluggish:
Need sleep. Being in the office till the morning hours is not helping my cause.
Back squats and pulls drained me a bit too much.
Perhaps the snatch grip high pulls threw my mechanics off a bit.

No biggie in the big scheme of things and tomorrow is a new day. Catch up on zzzs tonight...

David Tieu
08-23-2007, 11:31 PM
in my own basement or on the streets of the gritty gritty south bronx. seriously. everybody thinks i'm a crazy chino, which i guess is true

Yuen Sohn
08-27-2007, 06:39 PM
Feeling physically pretty craptastic. Sleep pattern/amount has been way off.

Had a tough time with squats:

Worked up to a single at ~102.5
Went down to a double at 100.
Then 5 at 80.

Doctor's appt. next Tuesday to get the wrist checked out.

Yuen Sohn
09-05-2007, 06:42 PM
Backsquat:
105 pinned me. Not good.
Coach just told me to do 80x5x4 since I'm clearly struggling these days.

Squat Snatches:
A series of triples at 40

Learned Good Mornings:
20x10
30x10
40x10

Some BB rows:
50x10
60x10

Weighted situps:
25lbsx10x2

Basically have been living at the office these days. Run down. Gotta set things straight.

David Tieu
09-08-2007, 01:17 PM
are you lifting in the nyc open?

Sam Cannons
09-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Yoon your new avatar pic is freaking me out !

Yuen Sohn
09-10-2007, 06:09 PM
Power Snatches:
40x3x2
50x3x2
60x2x3 (actually, I missed the last rep of the last double)

Squat Snatches
40x3
60x2
65x2
70x1
75 miss
70x1

Back Squats:
100kg
1,2,3/suck

Rating: ouch

Comments/Rant/Blahblah:
Back squat regressing. Front squats hurt my hand. I'll figure something out.

I've ordered a set of Promaxima squat stands for my apartment...I'm trying to force myself to be more consistent with squatting. LBH is only open for Olifting a small part of the week and CrossFit NYC's schedule often times doesn't work for me. All other gyms just make me sad and angry.

My subway car to LBH lacked AC so the temp was in the high 90s or low 100s with high humidity. At least I had the entire car to myself for most of the 30 minute ride and got a kick out of the doods who walked in and freaked out at the extreme heat.

I found that my oversized bag of almonds is infested with (now dead) tiny worms who were in the process of forming cocoons of some sort. I will see if I can get a refund this week. I was really looking forward to eating almonds tonight.

Yuen Sohn
09-10-2007, 06:12 PM
Dave,
Nah, I'm out. Dr. said it's soft tissue damage. Hurt like a mf to rack a barbell today. snatches felt ok though.

Sam,
You're right...that wasn't a good shot. Fixed now.

John Alston
09-11-2007, 04:56 AM
I found that my oversized bag of almonds is infested with (now dead) tiny worms who were in the process of forming cocoons of some sort. I will see if I can get a refund this week. I was really looking forward to eating almonds tonight.

1. Get a bottle of tequila.
2. Eat some worms.

William Hunter
09-12-2007, 04:41 AM
Yoon, your avatar is still deeply disturbing.

Yuen Sohn
09-12-2007, 06:53 PM
Not a good session at all today.

Warmed up with power snatch/ohs/tall snatch complex to 40kg

Squat Snatches:
40x2x2 (missed 1 rep somewhere during this)
50x2x3 (missed 1 rep somewhere during this)
60x2
65x1 (missed 2nd rep)
65x2
70 missed 3 times

Feeling too sloppy and loose.

Clean Pulls:
60x3
80x3
100x3
110x3
110x1, 100x2
100x3

Back Squat:
Worked up to a triple to 90kg ughh

Situps:
10kg - 10x3

Bent over lateral raises:
5kg each side
10x3

Comments:
First pulls today felt super tough.

Hips are super tight. Need to buy a foam roller. Sleep patterns a bit wacky. In a rut mentally. No biggie.

And what the heck is up with all the used rubbers on Queens Blvd??

Will, thanks! My job here is done!

David Tieu
09-12-2007, 10:11 PM
next time, save the worms and slide them down lenny's ass

Allen Yeh
09-13-2007, 02:57 AM
Hips are super tight. Need to buy a foam roller.

Have a tennis ball at home? Lacrosse Ball, softball...etc you get the idea.

Yuen Sohn
09-13-2007, 06:04 AM
next time, save the worms and slide them down lenny's ass

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Yeah, throw in some peanut butter and whipped cream and we have a party.

Allen: I totally dig the tennis balls. Thanks for the reminder.

Dave Paton
09-13-2007, 09:44 AM
Yoon,

It's Dave Paton (from Tucson) I had been lifitng at the LBH the last few weeks. I haven't been there in the last week or so due to a hectic schedule. Anyways, I took a job in Chicago and will be leaving NYC tomorrow. If you don't mind, tell Joe that I won't be coming back (well, maybe during holidays while visiting family). You guys were great and I learned a lot in just a few sessions lifting there. Hope to see you soon.

Dave

Yuen Sohn
09-14-2007, 06:28 PM
Stopped by CrossFit NYC.

Did modified WOD: 3 rounds of 200 turns of the jump-rope and 60 squats.

Then just a loose day of lifting.
Power snatch doubles to ~52kg. Intended to go to 60kg, but had to switch gears.

Close Grip Power Snatches:
~42kgx3 x a lot

Behind-the-Neck Jerks:
42kgx3 x alot.

Situps
25lbsx10x2

Foam Rolling.

At some point I cleaned the barbell to put it in the rack without thinking about my wrist. Stupido!

Yuen Sohn
09-14-2007, 06:35 PM
Hi Dave,
Sorry to hear you're leaving us so soon! I'll pass your regards to Joe.

Good luck with everything and feel free to stop by when you're in town again.

Yuen Sohn
09-16-2007, 11:28 AM
Stopped by CrossFitNYC

Some light complexes to work up a sweat:
3 deadlifts/3 clean pulls/3 shrugs
65lbs x3
95lbs x2
135lbs x 2

Then power snatches:
~30kgx3x2
~43kgx3x2
~52kgx2x2

Foam Rolling

Tried out some low bar squats with no weight.

Yuen Sohn
09-17-2007, 04:51 PM
Some power snatch doubles to 60kg. Felt nice and easy except that the good wrist now hurts...not sure if it's due to the wider grip I've been experimenting with.

Finished with a back squat triple to 100kg. Felt light, but couldn't get into it.

Probably not going to lift at the Metro Open in Oct, so why bother killing my bad wrist and aggravating my good one. I'm just going to squat/deadlift/good morning whenever I can...my apartment squat station should be up and running in a couple of weeks. Nothing structured, just lifting for the fun of it. I'll report back in a month or two.

See y'all on the Breakfast thread.

Yuen Sohn
09-20-2007, 06:02 PM
Rant deleted.

I'm still sticking with FedEx whenever possible.

Yuen Sohn
09-20-2007, 06:11 PM
So anyways, for whenever I do receive my stuff, I came up with the following plan for the next month or two. I ran this by Jeff, one of the assistant coaches and he didn't have anything critical to say about it...he just wanted to make sure I'd be careful and not die while back squatting in my living room.

Will probably start off pretty light and well below my maxes so I can get accustomed to this schedule.

I'll let you all know how it went sometime in November or so.

Monday:
-Snatch High Pull (5 sets of 3, add a set each week,
add weight after 8th set)
-Snatch-Grip Power Shrug (5 sets of 5, add a set each
week, add weight after 8th set)

Tuesday:
-Back Squat (ladder progression, 1,2,3/1,2,3/1,2,3)

Wednesday:
Rest

Thursday:
Clean Pulls/High Pulls (5 sets of 3, add a set each
Clean Grip Dynamic Shrugs (5 sets of 5, add a set each

Friday:
Zercher Squats (ladder progression, 1,2,3/1,2,3/1,2,3)

Saturday:
Deadlift (ladder progression, 1,2,3/1,2,3/1,2,3)

Pressing and front squats will be added at some point
when pain subsides.

Yuen Sohn
10-04-2007, 06:21 PM
Haven't lifted since last entry.

Escaped to crossfit nyc for the squat workout.

Warmed up with power snatches.
2 easy singles at 135lbs.
Then clean grip power snatch triples at 95lbs x3

Back Squat:
Worked up to a triple at ~107kg. Threw in a front squat at ~102.5kg

Back to the office for more punishment. I bet UPS will fuck up the rescheduled delivery of my barbell and shit tomorrow as well (third time's the motherfucking charm).

Yuen Sohn
10-10-2007, 07:47 PM
Squat Snatch:
(40x3)x2
(50x2)x2
(55x2)x1
(60x2)x2
(65x2)x1

Snatch High Pulls:
(60x4)x3

Clean Pulls:
60x5
80x3
100x3
(110x3)x3

Back Squat:
60x5
80x3
100x3
105x3
110x3 (got a tiny bit of help on that last rep, so should just count it as a double)

Damn!!! My sweatpants were particularly ripe and putrid today! Changed clothes and did back squats and the rest of the workout in my dress slacks. There were women and youngsters on the platform I had to be mindful of.

Press:
40x7
50x5
60xF Oh shit! I used to be good at pressing!

Overhead situps:
10kgx10
15kgx10
15kgx10

Ring Dips for Fun:
Forgot to keep track, but I sucked at these as well. Did 8 the first set, then went downhill from there. Would like to work up to 3 sets of 10 unbroken again.

John Alston
10-11-2007, 06:27 AM
Nice to have you back.

Talking about stink, I think you (and all others) got lucky in the gaseous emissions dept, and my egg/cabbage cocktail didn't kick in furreal until after lifting last night.

Yuen Sohn
10-14-2007, 01:02 PM
Forgot to add. My stuff (barbell & weights) never came and now UPS no idea where they are. My squat stands look nice though.

sarena kopciel
10-14-2007, 07:21 PM
nice working alongside you today Yoon:)

Yuen Sohn
10-19-2007, 05:24 PM
Good news: The deliveryman finally delivered the weights.
Bad news: No 15kg plates. Apparently UPS neglected to tell me they wouldn't deliver those today since the box was torn.

I was fed up with all these delivery attempts where the guy just flaked out -- I had missed 4.5 days of work in the 4 weeks prior with nothing to show. My plan was to take a cab to the UPS facility, have the driver wait (while the meter ran), pick up the package myself, and take the cab back to the apartment. You can figure out how this turned out.

I only ended up carrying the 2 plates for about 5 blocks (.25 miles), but it was a lot harder than expected. It was rush hour near the Lincoln Tunnel, so there was virtually no chance getting a cab. Best part was the rain and the passing drivers all along 11th Avenue making fun of me. Assholes.

I eventually got a cab after standing around for 30 minutes. The barbell is still lost though. But my apartment squat station is almost complete. Lesson learned: trying to have stuff delivered to an apartment in the city via UPS is not as easy as I thought.

Also: sprinting up 4 flights of stairs for 3 rounds with 30kg each time felt pretty invigorating.

David Tieu
10-19-2007, 10:34 PM
are these bumpers you ordered?
fucking bastard.
if you live anywhere near the bronx or manhattan, you have to let me train with you.
that's a demand
otherwise lenny will rape you

Yuen Sohn
10-20-2007, 02:42 PM
Yeah, they're bumpers. I bought them more for the future than for now. Since I live on the 4th floor of a pre-war walkup, I'm not going to be doing much dropping of weights. Maybe when I have a yard or basement.

You're all welcome to come over and squat, press or clean pull.

Derek Simonds
10-20-2007, 03:10 PM
I live in good ole suburbia and delivery is absolutely a joke no matter where you are. I ordered a new home computer and they delivered that and left it sitting on my front porch in a box with a picture of a computer on it. That is just freaking brilliant. I ordered a DVD it got delivered and the driver walked around to my back screened in porch and put it on the side of the gas grill. That only took me 2 weeks to find it. The only way I will get delivery now is to my office. That probably won't work for you in the city but I feel your pain.

Yuen Sohn
10-26-2007, 09:10 PM
Derek, it's good to know I'm not alone. I usually do get packages delivered to my office, but I think I would have gotten some death threats from the mail room had I gone ahead and gotten those items delivered to work. :)

Anyway, been away on (monkey) business all week and am a bit sleep deprived -- not much appetite and I've been eating a fraction of my usual intake. The hotel gym was quite lacking, as was my desire to workout. On the plus side, there was decent, complimentary beer on tap in the hotel lobby from 5-7PM -- and surprisingly, it was far from being just carbonated urine, quality and taste-wise. This was at the Homewood Suites in Lansdale, PA, in case any cheapskate, beer junkies in the PA area are reading this.

Since I'm not lifting at tomorrow's Metropolitan Championships, I just spent the evening carrying wood and weights as part of preparation with Jeff, Joe, Gerry, Chris and Artie. We assembled a pretty large platform out of plywood. Sadly, this has been the most lifting I've done for the past week. And I have new respect for the setup and cleanup crew.

Derek Simonds
11-01-2007, 09:31 AM
How long does a normal training session last for you? I have been watching your volume and if I did all the lifts you do with my current pace I would be in the gym for 2 hours.

Pacing is something I am working on.

Yuen Sohn
11-01-2007, 10:16 AM
Hey Derek,
Since I can only train Monday and Wednesdays most weeks, I tend to jam a lot of stuff in those two days. Usually I train for about 3 hours. I definitely don't storm from one exercise to another though -- when I think about it, a lot of time is spent talking with teammates or helping out around the gym.

Ideally, I'd like to be spreading the work out over more days. Now that I'm well enough to clean and jerk, I'll be devoting one day to the snatch and one day to the clean and jerk from now on.

David Tieu
11-04-2007, 08:58 PM
mmm
my cleans have come crashing down on me a lot recently
maybe i'll try some hang cleans next time around

Yuen Sohn
11-09-2007, 07:36 PM
Helped set up for American Masters comp. this weekend.

Managed to throw in a quick workout
Quick, light power snatches with the squat bar (up to about 95 lbs).

Front Squats:
60x5
80x4
90x3x5
ugh

Clean Pulls:
60x3
80x3
90x3
110x2x2

Yuen Sohn
11-11-2007, 09:14 PM
Spent the day loading at the American Masters. My second time loading, but thankfully I didn't f--- up too badly, haha. Did two sessions. I've found it's much easier to be a backseat loader :)

During the final session, all the LBH coaches were busy refereeing/running the meet, so they wanted me to step in (who knows why??) and coach two guys: a new LBH lifter and a guest lifter from France who was competing for the first time in the states and was without a coach. Thankfully, I didn't cause them to bomb out, and both of them lifted extremely well. Mike M., the new LBH lifter, had huge PRs (both in snatch and C&J), going either 5 or 6 for 6. And I think Pierre lifted up to his potential for that day (2kg PR each in snatch/C&J) going 5 for 6. Very happy I could help out in some small way.

Left apartment at 8:00AM and just got home at midnight. Kind of tired now.

Looking forward to snatching tomorrow.

Yuen Sohn
11-12-2007, 06:45 PM
Felt pretty fried today.

Squat Snatches:
Missed a lot at 50 while warming up.
65x1x5 (6 attempts, 1 miss)
67.5 x1 x 5 (no misses)
70 x 1 x 5 (8 attempts, 3 misses)
72.5x0 (3 misses)
Yikes! No extension today.

Clean and Jerks:
70x1x4
75x1x4
these felt terrible today, so I decided to call it a night before my alter ego, Emilio SelfDestructo, made an appearance.

Front Squats:
Fast triples up to 80, then had to run.

Will foam roll the hell out of my legs and back tonight.

Wendesday will be better.

Yuen Sohn
11-14-2007, 07:15 PM
Full squat snatches felt miserable today...bottom position really tight.

Did power snatches instead (1 from floor, 2 from hang):
40x3
50x3
55x3x6 (work set)

Then power snatch singles:
60x1
65x1
70x1
70x0
70x1

Squat Clean and Jerks up to 85kgx1 (missed 1st jerk, made the 2nd)

Push Presses:
40x5x2
50x5x2
55x5
60x3

Power Clean triples up to 70.

Front Squats:
60x3
80x3
90x3
95x2

Lots of catching up to do...

Yuen Sohn
11-19-2007, 06:57 PM
About due for a total attempt. Last time I did this was August 5th.

Snatch:
Warmup: 40, 50, 60, 70, 75 (2 misses), 75
Attempt 1 - 80 make
Attempt 2 - 82.5 miss (locked out for a second, but rushed the ascent and lost it forward)
Attempt 3 - 82.5 crashed down on my neck and drilled me into the platform

Extra attempt for SelfDestructo- 82.5 misssss! Not even close

Clean and Jerk:
Warmup: 50, 60, 70, 80, 85 (jerk was iffy)
Attempt 1- 90 make
Attempt 2 - 95 make
Attempt 3 - 100 make

Rather strange as I had trouble front squatting 95 for a double last week. The 100 clean felt good, actually (better than pre-injury).

Back Squats:
60x3
80x3
95x3
105x3
105x1 (lost tension at bottom...was a grinder)
105x3 (not as easy as the 105s last week or so)

Push Press:
40x5x2
50x5x2
60x3

Jonathan Owen
11-20-2007, 08:59 PM
Yoon,

I have noticed that you do a lot of power snatches. Is there a specific reason for this? Do you just like them? I ask because I never really power snatch heavy, (my coach has never had me and I have never tried) if I go for a heavy attempt it is always a full. I feel so much more comfortable with the full version when the weight gets heavy. Glad to see the wrist healing up!

Jon

Yuen Sohn
11-21-2007, 08:04 AM
Hey Jon!
I've become really fond of power snatches/hang power snatches as of this year; I feel they've really helped with my explosiveness and pull. Of course, whether or not to include them comes down to what each individual's weaknesses are...or with me, whichever weakness sucks the most at any given time, hahaha.

One of the asst. coaches here is a big fan of hang power snatch progressions to build explosiveness: triples for 5 sets; add a set each session; after 8 sets, bump up the weight ~2.5 kg and reset to 5 sets.

Other times I do power snatches:
-sometimes I'm totally fried and have trouble doing full squat snatches
-I'm lifting at a place where I really can't drop barbells, so I have to keep the weight relatively light -- for me, power snatches (for triples) have a more favorable margin for error than squat snatching a heavier weight, either for singles or multiples.

btw, there is a good discussion on power snatches here:
http://www.fortified-iron.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=42130

Yuen Sohn
11-21-2007, 06:15 PM
Made it out to LBH after all. Just a loose, unstructured day.

Power Snatches (1 from floor, 2 from hang):
40x3x2
45x3
50x3
55x3x7 (work set)

Snatch Balances (start each set with power snatch):
40x3x2
45x3x2
50x1 then a miss on 2nd rep
50x3x2
55x1 then a miss on 2nd rep
55x3x3

Power Clean/Front Squat/Split Jerk:
50x3
60x2
70x1
80x1
Oskar then wanted me to do 2 front squats before the jerk
85x1x2

Push Presses
50x5x2

Light & slow assisted pullups.

Fooled around with some pistols.

Ready to eat my bodyweight in turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie tomorrow.

Jonathan Owen
11-23-2007, 09:57 AM
Yoon,

Thanks for the link! Really good stuff! I can see where they would come in handy in an area where missing and dropping would cause problems. Talking about individual weaknesses, I do feel I need to develop more aggression and explosion. I have played around with Bednarski cleans and snatches for this but I am going to start playing around with some pow. sn. from the hang too. I want to get some dynamite in my pull! Hope you had a good thanksgiving!
Jon

Yuen Sohn
11-25-2007, 08:58 PM
My friend Mike was in NYC for the holidays. Decided to debut LBH III (my apartment living room) in his honor.

What I did...
Push Presses
40kgx5x2
50x5x3
60x4

Snatch Grip Pulls:
50kgx5
70x3

Clean Grip Shrugs:
90kgx8
100x8
110x8

Mike did similar, but with more weight.

Nothing too crazy, as I'm going to LBH tomorrow.

Yuen Sohn
11-26-2007, 07:18 PM
Had to fight off Emilio SelfDestructo tonight. Should probably take this week easy.

Snatches to 70
Clean and Jerks to...70

Chilled out for a while.

Dead Hang Snatches
40x3x2
50x3
60x1

Front Squats:
50x3
70x3
80x3
90x3x4
80x3x2

Yuen Sohn
11-29-2007, 07:04 PM
Stuck in the office until 1:30 last night/this morning, so no LBH. Apartment workout today instead. Erring on side of caution and keeping it light until I get sawhorses or some other safety devices.

Front Squats:
50kgx3
70x3
85x3x6 (work set)
Nice and snappy

Bent-Over Lateral Plate Raises:
2.5kg each side x15
5kgx10x3

50 pushups

Dave Paton
11-30-2007, 08:51 AM
Yoon,

Are you guys going to be lifiting over the Christmas/New Year's holidays at the Lost Battalion? I am going to be in Queens.

Yuen Sohn
11-30-2007, 06:24 PM
Hmm, not sure. I'll ask around next week.

Yuen Sohn
11-30-2007, 06:37 PM
Pullups on the minute.
9 rounds plus 9.5 (the 10th rep in the 10th minute was not legit).

Behind the Neck Jerks with bar.

Clean and Jerk:
~61kgx2
~70x1x2
~80x1
~84x1
Squat Cleans from here
~89x1
~93x1x2

Front Squats:
Worked up to ~102x3x3

Dave Paton
12-01-2007, 02:21 PM
Yoon,

Let me know. Just post to here and I will check in. Thanks.

Jonathan Owen
12-01-2007, 02:41 PM
Hey Yoon!

I had some people talking in essex jct. about a meet in Feb. in Lawrence, Mass. If they do have it, I want to compete. I must say you have a very fine living room. Personally, given the option, I would take squat stands in the living room over granite countertops any day!

Yuen Sohn
12-01-2007, 06:38 PM
Keeping it light.

Back squat practice:
60kgx5x3
70x5x1
80x3x3

Snatch Pulls:
60kgx3x1
70x3x1
80x3x1
85x2x1
90x1x3
-Nice and pretty snappy on 2/3 of the 90s

Shoulder's stiff today so no presses.

Dave: Will do! I'll see Lenny on Monday.

Jon: Sounds great! I think there's a meet at LBH in Feb (The Larry Mintz Memorial), but I'm not averse to a road trip. Keep me posted!

Yuen Sohn
12-02-2007, 02:28 PM
The cleans from Friday felt a bit off (barbell too far out in front? maybe too much arm pull and not enough hip extension?), so I just did empty barbell work to reinforce better positioning.

Then a bunch of squat cleans up to 40kg.

Foam rolling.

Yuen Sohn
12-03-2007, 07:20 PM
Snatches to 60kg then
62.5x1x4
65x1x4
67.5x1x4 (worst of the bunch)
70x1x4 (no misses, form clicked on these)
72.5x1x4 (meh, not so hot, took 6 attempts total).
75x0x2 (high but forward).
Snatches felt really off today. First pull felt odd and only the ones at 70 felt right.

Chilled out and moved to clean and jerks:
Kept messing up at 50 (bad racking)
50x a lot
60x2
70x1
80x1
90x1
95x1 (caught clean forward but recovered it)
100x1
102x0 (thought it wasn't high enough so I bailed...the guys later told me it was more than high enough to catch but psyched myself out)
101x1 (PR)

Push Presses:
40x5
50x5
60x3x2
60x2x1

Recovery on the cleans felt better than usual today...exploded right out of the squat.

Ah crap Dave, forgot to ask Lenny...I'll e-mail him tonight.

Yuen Sohn
12-05-2007, 06:21 PM
Kind of a mess.

Squat Snatches:
Worked on first pull form and transition to 2nd pull. Staying over the bar longer. Lots of misses tonight at 50-60kg, but hopefully this will yield better results down the road.

Finally worked up to
62.5x1x4
65x1x2
70x1

Clean and Jerks to 80x1x4

No time for any assistance exercises...back at the office working now since the company-issued laptop and RAS token at home are failing me. I could really use a nap now and the Benny Hill theme song is still looping in my head.

Allen Yeh
12-06-2007, 03:43 AM
Yoon,

Are you guys going to be lifiting over the Christmas/New Year's holidays at the Lost Battalion? I am going to be in Queens.

Any word on this? I'm most likely going to be spending Christmas week on Long Island with my parents. I'd love to be able to get a session in at LBH.

Yuen Sohn
12-06-2007, 07:32 AM
Allen, Dave,
Right now, Monday/Wednesday Christmas week and the next are probably ok, but we'll know for sure the Wednesday before...it all depends on the coaches' availabilities (they are the only ones allowed to open up the weightlifting area) and what the Recreation Center management staff decide.

I'll PM you with details as they become available.

Allen Yeh
12-06-2007, 07:59 AM
Sweet, thanks.

Yuen Sohn
12-08-2007, 06:42 PM
Quick front squat workout

60x3
70x3
80x3
90x3x3

Yuen Sohn
12-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Squat Snatches:
60x1x4
62.5x1x4 (4 out of 5)
65x1x4
67.5x1x4 (4 out of 5)
70x1x4 (4 out of 6)
-misses were due to brainfarts and lack of focus.

Clean and Jerks
80x1x4
82.5x1x4
85x1x4
87.5x1x4
90x1x4
Cleans felt good. Jerks at 85 were not so great (pressouts). Found my groove at 87.5 and really used my traps. The last one at 90 was fast and solid -- not much dip at all.

1 Clean Pull & 10 dynamic clean shrugs:

2 sets of 10 assisted pullups...nothing crazy.

Dave Paton
12-11-2007, 11:07 AM
Thanks Yoon.

Allen:

FYI, you need to have a membership to olympic lift at the gym. They won't let you slide on this. There are no "one day passes" either. You have to buy a 1-year membership which costs $100. Yoon, this is correct, right?

Allen Yeh
12-11-2007, 11:45 AM
Thanks Yoon.

Allen:

FYI, you need to have a membership to olympic lift at the gym. They won't let you slide on this. There are no "one day passes" either. You have to buy a 1-year membership which costs $100. Yoon, this is correct, right?

D'oh!

Yuen Sohn
12-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Snatches to 60. Still working those adjustments.

Clean and Jerks to 95 (a bit of a tough clean on the 95 but easy jerk)

1 power clean and 5 front squats:
70x3

Yuen Sohn
12-12-2007, 07:02 PM
Dave, Allen.
Monday the 24th (Christmas Eve), isn't looking too good as the Rec Center will be shutting down early. Probably won't even bother opening up the weightlifting area that night...much to all of our disappointment. We're on for Wednesday though.

Allen Yeh
12-13-2007, 05:26 AM
Dave, Allen.
Monday the 24th (Christmas Eve), isn't looking too good as the Rec Center will be shutting down early. Probably won't even bother opening up the weightlifting area that night...much to all of our disappointment. We're on for Wednesday though.

Does everyone typically stay the whole time? Or just whenever within the time period? It's probably better that it's not open on Christmas Eve anyway. I think my wife would be ok with me taking off to go lift for one night probably not ok with 2.

Yuen Sohn
12-13-2007, 06:52 AM
Joe's always there from opening to closing on Mon/Wed. I don't think anyone else stays the whole time to train, though I've come close on a few occasions.

Yeah, if you come on Wednesday, you'll get to experience ping pong night :)

Yuen Sohn
12-13-2007, 09:02 PM
Got home on the late side today.

Joe wanted me to do a super light workout (OHS squats, BB-type stuff) a few days before the meet on Sunday. I'm planning to get a massage tomorrow, so I did doing the workout tonight.

OHS:
40x5x4
Bicep curls, tricep extensions with plate, wrist curls. Nothing crazy, just "get a good pump" as Joe likes to say.

John Alston
12-14-2007, 06:44 AM
When you curl, do you make sure to stand in between your squat stands?

Yuen Sohn
12-14-2007, 06:56 AM
When you curl, do you make sure to stand in between your squat stands?

Hah! Of course. It adds an extra 5 kg. Too bad I didn't have enough space for a full power cage.

David Tieu
12-14-2007, 11:35 PM
no i'm not. are you?

Yuen Sohn
12-16-2007, 04:22 PM
Lifted at Chris Smith's meet in Bethpage today. Weighed in at 75 kilos - the heaviest I've been since my chain-smoking/couch potato days.

Snatch warmups were a disaster. Lost a bunch at 60kg behind me. Then with 75 overhead but way forward, I ran off the warmup platform and almost took out Artie Dreschler! Fortunately I dropped it to my waist in time and collapsed, the barbell rolling over me. A bit embarassing and quite worrisome, so I lowered my opener from 78 to 76 (75 was already on the competition bar).

Snatch:
76 - make
80 - make (comp. PR)
83 - make (PR)

Clean and Jerk:
95 - make
102 -make (PR)
105 - miss (missed clean - argh!!)

sarena kopciel
12-16-2007, 07:19 PM
Lifted at Chris Smith's meet in Bethpage today. Weighed in at 75 kilos - the heaviest I've been since my chain-smoking/couch potato days.

Snatch warmups were a disaster. Lost a bunch at 60kg behind me. Then with 75 overhead but way forward, I ran off the warmup platform and almost took out Artie Dreschler! Fortunately I dropped it to my waist in time and collapsed, the barbell rolling over me. A bit embarassing and quite worrisome, so I lowered my opener from 78 to 76 (75 was already on the competition bar).

Snatch:
76 - make
80 - make (comp. PR)
83 - make (PR)

Clean and Jerk:
95 - make
102 -make (PR)

Sounds like a regular day in the life of Yoon! Hey I am Oly lifting with Izzy Sanchez a few times a week now and he wants to have me meet ready in early 2008! Maybe I will finally make it to LBH someday soon...

Jonathan Owen
12-17-2007, 12:52 AM
Nice PRs! I doubt I would pull prs like that If I was having such an off day warming up! Good job pulling it together!

Jon

John Alston
12-17-2007, 07:19 AM
Yoon, bring that stuff you're cycling on right now to the Xmas gift-grab tonight. You're hyuuuuge!
Nice PRs, big guy.

Yuen Sohn
12-17-2007, 08:45 AM
Sarena: Great to hear! I'll post a 2008 NYC-area meet schedule to your blog later tonight.

Jon: Thanks! I was freaking out at first, but my teammates, as well as the lifters from Chris Smith's team, were really helpful in getting me re-focused. They're a good bunch of guys.

Yoon, bring that stuff you're cycling on right now to the Xmas gift-grab tonight. You're hyuuuuge!
Nice PRs, big guy.
Haha, thanks. One word: Chipotle.

sarena kopciel
12-17-2007, 11:27 AM
Thanx Yoon--looks like my coach wants me to enter a meet in Feb in Hillsborough!! Yupee, now I gotta start snatching again--havent done any overhead work in a while since shoulder...

Yuen Sohn
12-17-2007, 08:20 PM
Post-meet workout. Pretty unstructured today.

Hit 60 on the snatch but had a hell of a time standing up with it. Moved down and did a bunch of squat snatch/drop snatches with 40 and 50 trying to execute as fast as possible.

Back squats:
100kgx3x3 (last rep was unfortunately a grinder)

Some fun stuff:
Strict presses with 40kgx8
Zercher lifts from the floor with 60kg...ugh!!!
Bent-over barbell rows @ 60kgx8x3

Edited to add:
Clean and Jerks from yesterday:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ittrK_ms-_o

It doesn't look like I was using enough legs in the clean. A bit slow overall as well. Things to work on.
Oh yeah, that venue is what we call 'The Dungeon.' The humming noise in the background is actually a giant propane heater.

Allen Yeh
12-18-2007, 07:10 AM

Snatch:
76 - make
80 - make (comp. PR)
83 - make (PR)

Clean and Jerk:
95 - make
102 -make (PR)

Nice PR's! You kick my PR's ass at ~14kilos less BW!

Yuen Sohn
12-18-2007, 09:57 AM
Nice PR's! You kick my PR's ass at ~14kilos less BW!

Thanks Allen! On the flipside, I'm sure there are quite a number of other things at which you'd crush me.

Hope you can make it next Wednesday to LBH!

Allen Yeh
12-18-2007, 10:13 AM
Thanks Allen! On the flipside, I'm sure there are quite a number of other things at which you'd crush me.

Hope you can make it next Wednesday to LBH!

Things are looking up for Wednesday.

Yuen Sohn
12-19-2007, 05:13 AM
Snatches from Sunday:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fN0IaFM4Qts
Thanks John! Slow motion sound effects=ultimate awesome!

sarena kopciel
12-19-2007, 06:00 AM
Snatches from Sunday:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fN0IaFM4Qts
Thanks John! Slow motion sound effects=ultimate awesome!

Yoon you make 83kg look easier. I imagine being stuck in the bottom, you got UP with control. Awesome. btw that is over bw eh??

Yuen Sohn
12-19-2007, 06:47 AM
Yoon you make 83kg look easier. I imagine being stuck in the bottom, you got UP with control. Awesome. btw that is over bw eh??

Thanks! Yeah, it's about 8kg over now. Shooting for 95kg sometime in 2008...gotta get the squats up.

You know, I used to ALWAYS get pinned at the bottom. It was so frustrating that my teammates were even starting to get pissed at me:p Here's some vid from this past Feb of me wiping out with 60kg, and then getting pinned with the same weight: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZSrFUmZvdCw This video truly pains me :D

It was mostly a matter of increasing squat numbers (esp. back squat) and getting a better sense of mechanics/form.

Derek Simonds
12-19-2007, 08:28 AM
Yoon those were some solid lifts!

I am toying with the idea of competing on January 12. It is a local USAW meet. I think Leo is going to have an in-house meet on December 24th which should be fun.

sarena kopciel
12-19-2007, 11:29 AM
Thanks! Yeah, it's about 8kg over now. Shooting for 95kg sometime in 2008...gotta get the squats up.

You know, I used to ALWAYS get pinned at the bottom. It was so frustrating that my teammates were even starting to get pissed at me:p Here's some vid from this past Feb of me wiping out with 60kg, and then getting pinned with the same weight: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZSrFUmZvdCw This video truly pains me :D

It was mostly a matter of increasing squat numbers (esp. back squat) and getting a better sense of mechanics/form.

Running now but will watch later. Yeah, funny you mention it but my coach told me today to work a bit the next week til we meet with BS! he really wans me to wait with more technical lifts to work with him so he can critique, rather than rinse and repeat improper form!! Perhaps that came from doing multiple reps and form had broken down!!

Yuen Sohn
12-21-2007, 09:59 AM
Missed LBH Wed. I've been waiting for a barbell delivery since October -- UPS was a no-show multiple times and ultimately lost 2 of 'em. 3rd barbell sent to me was delivered (again) to the wrong address on Tuesday and was "guaranteed" to be delivered Wednesday afternoon to the correct address. No go...I waited from morning until 7:30PM in my apartment and talked to 7-8 different people to confirm delivery for that damn thing.

I rushed home after finishing work early today and of course just missed the guy by half an hour (they had refused to offer any flexibility in delivery time). For some reason, they're saying I've got 3 missed delivery attempts now credited against me.

Edited to add: so the UPS HQ representative I just spoke to is even skeptical a legitimate attempt was made today, since I was supposed to have received an info-notice even for final attempts.

It's a good thing I've got a cheap barbell on loan from a friend.

Thanks fuckUPS!

sarena kopciel
12-21-2007, 11:53 AM
Missed LBH Wed. I've been waiting for a barbell delivery since October -- UPS was a no-show multiple times and ultimately lost 2 of 'em. 3rd barbell sent to me was delivered (again) to the wrong address on Tuesday and was "guaranteed" to be delivered Wednesday afternoon to the correct address. No go...I waited from morning until 7:30PM in my apartment and talked to 7-8 different people to confirm delivery for that damn thing.

I rushed home after finishing work early today and of course just missed the guy by half an hour (they had refused to offer any flexibility in delivery time). For some reason, they're saying I've got 3 missed delivery attempts now credited against me.

Edited to add: so the UPS HQ representative I just spoke to is even skeptical a legitimate attempt was made today, since I was supposed to have received an info-notice even for final attempts.

Thanks fuckUPS!

That totally sucks! EH life in the big city does have its challenges. great seeing you last night and chatting.
Got a PR today on FS at 140x1, puts me at 103% of bw!

John Alston
12-21-2007, 12:24 PM
BABOON POWER!

Yuen Sohn
12-21-2007, 12:32 PM
Congrats Sarena! BW+ is a great milestone!

Yuen Sohn
12-21-2007, 12:34 PM
BABOON POWER!

This made my day.

Thank you.

Looking forward to Argentinian skirt steak tomorrow.

Jonathan Owen
12-21-2007, 02:32 PM
Yoon,
That sucks about the barbell, I would be pissed! As far as the meet goes I haven't heard anything, I would think if there was one that it would be up on the website by now. I hope I didn't get some bad info, I am anxious to compete again.
Jon

Allen Yeh
12-21-2007, 08:23 PM

Thanks fuckUPS!

WTF over? What a load of crap!

Yuen Sohn
12-22-2007, 02:38 PM
Madhouse today.

Power Snatches, Drop snatches, tall snatches to 55kg.

Squat Snatches:
55x1x5
60x1x5
65x1x5
67.5x1x5 (6 attempts total, missed 1st)
75x0
75x1

Clean and Jerks:
82.5x1x4
85x1x4 (2 misses...hand popped loose on 3 of the attempts)
90x1x4
95x0x2

Not feeling it for squat cleans. Bad habits coming back (arm pulling, not using enough legs).

A few complexes:
power clean, 2 front squats, 1 split jerk:
60x1
80x1x2
85x1 (rode clean into squat, followed with 2 front squats and a split jerk).

Then
60 w/ 6 fast front squats
70 w/ 7 fast front squats
80 w/ 8 fast front squats

Dave Paton
12-22-2007, 05:57 PM
Yoon,

I'll be there on Wednesday. Still 5-9 pm?

Yuen Sohn
12-22-2007, 07:16 PM
Yup, same hours. See you there!

Yuen Sohn
12-26-2007, 06:57 PM
Feeling totally congested and fatigued. Just went with the flow.

Squat Snatches:
57.5x1x5 (2 misses out of 7). Struggling today
Joe intervened and had me do a power snatch/squat snatch combo:
70 (actually caught power snatch at medium height and rode it all the way down)

Clean and Jerks:
Worked up to 2 singles at 85

Then lots of power cleans since it appears I've forgotten how to extend forcefully on my cleans.

Out of time.

sarena kopciel
12-26-2007, 08:42 PM
sounds like a nice holiday was had and tough getting back on platform!!?
Did some C&J today with Coach --solid at 30, needs more work at 35kg.
Working again tomorrow so will see what we do!

You doing that meet in Hillsborough?

Yuen Sohn
12-28-2007, 10:22 PM
sounds like a nice holiday was had and tough getting back on platform!!?
Did some C&J today with Coach --solid at 30, needs more work at 35kg.
Working again tomorrow so will see what we do!

You doing that meet in Hillsborough?

I won't lift, but may go to help out my teammates (load warmup weights, keep track of attempts).

Yuen Sohn
12-28-2007, 10:24 PM
Quick workout:

Squat Snatches:
warmup to 50

55x1x5
60x1x5
65x1x5
67.5x1x5 (7 attempts, 2 brain farts).

Out of time.

Post workout:
Eating steak for reps.

Yuen Sohn
12-29-2007, 02:21 PM
Squat Snatches:
55x1x5
60x1x5 (2 misses out of 7)
65x1x5
70x1 (1 of 2)
72.5x1x2 (2 of 3)
Very inconsistent today. Weights felt light, but I think I was jumping backwards a bit much, causing me to miss forward.

Clean and Jerks:
80x1x4
85x1x4
90x1x4

shaky cleans, ok jerks.

Squat cleans from the hang:
50x a lot
60x a lot

sarena kopciel
12-29-2007, 03:07 PM
I won't lift, but may go to help out my teammates (load warmup weights, keep track of attempts).

Cool, perhaps you can help me out too since Coach Izzy wont be able to be there:(

Yuen Sohn
12-29-2007, 06:08 PM
...after nap.

Done in apartment so nothing crazy.

Front Squats:
80x5x5 (work set)
Relatively quick with no grinders.

Push presses:
50x5x1
60x3x1 (whoops)
55x3x5

Yuen Sohn
12-31-2007, 10:24 AM
Year-end summary (based primarily on total attempts instead of single lift PRs done in practice):

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2360/2151864521_31bbe50550_o.jpg

sarena kopciel
12-31-2007, 04:20 PM
Year-end summary (based primarily on total attempts instead of single lift PRs done in practice):

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2360/2151864521_31bbe50550_o.jpg

NICE WORK

Yuen Sohn
01-01-2008, 03:46 PM
Thanks Sarena!

Yuen Sohn
01-01-2008, 03:48 PM
From yesterday afternoon:

Squat Snatches:
57.5x1x4
60x1x4 (5 attempts)
62.5x1x4 (5 attempts)
65x1x4
67.5x1x4
made 20 of 22 snatches today

Clean and Jerks:
80x1x4
85x1x2
-shoulders quite stiff from push presses saturday

Front Squats:
82.5x5x5

Dave Paton
01-02-2008, 02:57 PM
Yoon,

Nice work over the year....really impressive stuff!

Good to see you again at LBH. Unfortunately, i had the flu on Friday and Saturday.

BTW, do you have Joe's phone#? He was going to give it to me on Friday.

Yuen Sohn
01-02-2008, 07:02 PM
Thanks Dave!

Sorry, I don't have his number on me. Try e-mailing Lenny (either at his regular e-mail or the one posted on the LBH site).

Yuen Sohn
01-02-2008, 07:03 PM
Squat Snatches:
60x1x4
62.5x1x4
65x1
-Joe wanted me to try a few heavy singles at this point
67.5x1
72.5x1
77.5x0
-Back to progression
70x1x5

Clean and Jerks:
70x1x4
75x1x4
80x1x4
85x1x3
90x1x3

Back Squats:
60x5
80x5
90x4
100x3x3
-Reminder to self: don't wear boxer shorts to practice ever again.

Not cold enough outside.

Yuen Sohn
01-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Squat Snatches:
Work up to opening attempt: ~78kg

40x1x3
50x1
55x1
60x1
65x1
70x1
75x0x2 (whoops)
75x1
77.5x1

Snatch Pull and 3 snatch shrugs:
80x2x1
85x2x3

2 Snatch high pulls with 70

Clean and Jerks to 80
Ugh, feeling drained.

Went into this workout with stiff shoulders, hips, legs and back. Had to really focus to hit snatches tonight.

sarena kopciel
01-05-2008, 03:37 PM
NIce work Yoon as usual. Coach is taking me to Morrestown next Sunday to lift and get to know some people. AM looking forward. I also called Jon at Again Faster about ordering an Oly bar. Keith W said I should talk to you as well. Where did you get yours from?

Yuen Sohn
01-05-2008, 04:44 PM
Sarena,
If you're driving down to the Moorestown Weightlifting Club, then an option I'd recommend is to purchase a bar (and any additional supplies) from Werksan USA. This is where I picked up my metal fractional plates. They sell a wide range of barbells, including the Pendlay Economy barbells, and you can save on shipping by picking up yourself.
http://werksanusa.com

Just make sure to e-mail info AT werksanusa dot com ahead of time with what you want, as the warehouse is offsite from the actual club.

I actually don't know which online vendors offer the cheapest prices (I'm guessing they're all pretty much comparable). I've read from the CrossFit boards about Jon's great service, so I don't think you can go wrong there, either. Not having a doorman anymore to receive packages during the day, I definitely will never order online anything sizeable...ESPECIALLY if the merchant uses UPS!!

Yuen Sohn
01-06-2008, 06:22 PM
Quick apartment workout:

Back Squats:
60x8
70x6
80x5
90x4
100x3

Clean Pulls:
Felt a bit inhibited doing these, and my lack of aggression translated to crappy mechanics. Just went up to 80x4

Fooled around with some floor presses to 40kg. Not a familiar movement, so kept it light. My left shoulder felt interesting doing these.

Jonathan Owen
01-07-2008, 12:13 AM
UPS is screwing me as well! I ordered a bar on the 16th of dec, and they said they lost the order. I was then told that another bar was shipped on the 31st and I should have it any day if I didnt allready. As of today, NO BAR! I think I am starting to understand your frustration. UPS SUCKS! Could it be a vast anti o-lift conspiracy?

sarena kopciel
01-07-2008, 04:17 AM
UPS is screwing me as well! I ordered a bar on the 16th of dec, and they said they lost the order. I was then told that another bar was shipped on the 31st and I should have it any day if I didnt allready. As of today, NO BAR! I think I am starting to understand your frustration. UPS SUCKS! Could it be a vast anti o-lift conspiracy?

Maybe the UPS delivery people are refusing to lift BBs! They need Olifting lessons! LOL

Allen Yeh
01-07-2008, 06:47 AM
Drumroll please....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahx9pne4GQU

sarena kopciel
01-07-2008, 11:35 AM
Drumroll please....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahx9pne4GQU

AWESOME....

Yuen Sohn
01-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Took my predicted openers tonight:

Snatch:
78 - missed the first one...no commitment to the lockout
took it again 1:30 later:
78-make (barely)

Clean and Jerk:
97 - make, but caught clean forward and came way, way up on my toes. Recovered and made the jerk.

Weights felt really, really heavy off the floor today.

Back Squats:
50x5x2
60x5x2
70x5x4