PDA

View Full Version : What's Your DL Frequency?

Jon Brody
04-14-2009, 11:27 AM
Basic Q but I sifted through a few pages and couldn't find a direct answer. Right now I have it were I finish a SS-like strength session to start the week with 1x5 DL. Is 1x/week alright even with just one set of 5 at the end of a session? How many X/week and with what rep/set schemes do you guys DL?

My legs should get taxed in various ways throughout the rest of the week from met-cons, and one other strength session towards the end (1leg squats, squat jumps, e.g.). I'm wondering if there is sense in prioritizing another 1x5 ME-like effort the; or, if that's overkill, throw in like RDLs?

I'm looking forward to DLing more than any other lift, so I like doing it but don't want to do it at the expense of actually doing it! :)

Jon Brody
04-14-2009, 11:29 AM
BTW, by 1x5/week being "alright" I mean with regard to making solid forward progress in strength gains vs. like maintenance, or conditioning....

Garrett Smith
04-14-2009, 11:52 AM
I DL one time a week, that's all I can handle with my OL training as well.

Kevin Perry
04-14-2009, 11:56 AM
I try to Dead at least 1x a week.. although I try to do pulling movements up to 3 times a week when able.

Chris Forbis
04-14-2009, 12:25 PM
Once a week, one heavy set of 5. I do a lighter workout of RDL one other day, 3 sets of 5.

Dave Van Skike
04-14-2009, 01:34 PM
right now it's form the floor once a week and something like stiff legs dl or Snatch grip or RDL's for higher reps on another day.

have had good luck in the past alternating pulls from the floor with rows and RDL's once a week.

Jacob Rowell
04-14-2009, 02:11 PM
2x/week at the moment. Once ME from 18", once speed work, more often than not from a 2-3" deficit. The pull from 18" is SM contest prep, the speed work is hopefully to get my pull from the floor up soon.

I was doing 3x3, once a week, just trying to increase each week, but wasn't making progress any more that way.

I've managed at this point to pull 565 from 18", but my best from the floor is 475. Considering I'm a fairly tall guy, and 18" is well below the knee, something is amiss here.....

John Seiler
04-14-2009, 03:00 PM
I only do one Max effort deadlift session every four weeks. I format my deadlift cycle to go with my Squat cycles.

Week 1: Dynamic effort Deads
Week 2: Heavy RDL's
Week 3: Max effort Dead up to a single
Week 4: Dynamic effort RDL's

Dave Van Skike
04-14-2009, 03:16 PM
I only do one Max effort deadlift session every four weeks. I format my deadlift cycle to go with my Squat cycles.

Week 1: Dynamic effort Deads
Week 2: Heavy RDL's
Week 3: Max effort Dead up to a single
Week 4: Dynamic effort RDL's

what's a dynamic effort rdl look like?

Arden Cogar Jr.
04-14-2009, 04:12 PM
my current program has me "knee bending, bar pressing, and bar lifting" every other day.

Here's the "bar lifting"
Day One - Snatch grip pulls
Day Two - Clean Pulls
Day Three - Deadlifts (alternating sumo and conventional every other week); sometimes rack pulls from varying heights afterwards.

On those same days I'm "knee bending"
Day One - OHS
Day Two - Front Squats
Day Three - Back Squats.

On those same days I'm bar pressing
Day One - snatch grip push press
Day two - push press
Day Three - jerks (with squat clean matrixes)

Dynamic lifts on those days:
Day one - power snatch
Day two - power clean
Day three - snatch matrix, clean matrix (followed by jerk)

Dynamic movement first, pushing movement second, knee bending movement third, bar lifting movement fourth. Then I play with various stuff.

Note, the percentages are waved and never exceed 85%. The rep schemes are higher during my off season and much lower during my season.

Hope that helps a bit? don't know if it does as i've been training for a long time and I have a pretty good strength base.

All the best,
Arden

Brian DeGennaro
04-14-2009, 04:28 PM
The only time I deadlift nowadays is during strength cycles and it's only clean and snatch DLs with over 100% of my maxes, nothing anywhere near my real DL max.

Don Stevenson
04-14-2009, 06:27 PM
When I'm trying specifically to improve my deadlift it's twice a week monday and friday with assistance exercises like power cleans or pulls from blocks on the wednesday.

I typically favour 3x5 in the the first week, 3x3, second week and 3x2 in the third week before a back off week.

At the moment I'm not doing any regular deads just heavy pulls from 18" on monday for triples, power cleans tuesday and 3 sets of max reps in fixed time (60 - 90seconds) on wednesday.

John Seiler
04-15-2009, 09:02 PM
what's a dynamic effort rdl look like?

Dave,

I just try to pause for a moment at the bottom and then pull as hard and fast as possible while maintaining form. I use 60-70% of 1RM. It's not directly comparable to a Westside-style DE Box Squat because it's not unloaded at the bottom. Hmmm, maybe that's a good idea...

I know you've been around the game a while but I can't recall your Westside exposure. Louie talks about the body not being able to progress lifting at near maxes for more than 3 weeks. I can't comment for anyone else but it's definitely true for me. I started alternating lighter dynamic effort work in an undulating wave a few months ago and it's been working nicely for my squats. Unfortunately life has been f-ing with my ME deadlift days so I can't comment on them. :(

Dave Van Skike
04-15-2009, 10:56 PM
Dave,

I just try to pause for a moment at the bottom and then pull as hard and fast as possible while maintaining form. I use 60-70% of 1RM. It's not directly comparable to a Westside-style DE Box Squat because it's not unloaded at the bottom. Hmmm, maybe that's a good idea...

I know you've been around the game a while but I can't recall your Westside exposure. Louie talks about the body not being able to progress lifting at near maxes for more than 3 weeks. I can't comment for anyone else but it's definitely true for me. I started alternating lighter dynamic effort work in an undulating wave a few months ago and it's been working nicely for my squats. Unfortunately life has been f-ing with my ME deadlift days so I can't comment on them. :(

interesting. if it works it works. I like it.

Paul McKirdy
04-18-2009, 06:09 PM
12 day cycle.

ME every 12 days +/- extra rest as intuition requires. This is offset 6 days from 3RM back squats.

in no set order between the conventional squat and deadlift sessions:
-2 DE box squat sessions. Blue bands. One session in Oly shoes, one in chucks.
-1 Speed DL sessions with red bands on a jump stretch platform, approximately 200#s band tension at the top. Next session will be trying out adding deficit from standing on a 100# plate in chucks instead of oly shoes on the jump stretch platform.
-1 RDL session light weight(225#), but lowering weight as fast as possible to increase stopping impulse force at the catch just below knees. Up fast after suspended stop.
- Sometimes substitute a deficit SLDL session. 3x5

Jon Brody
04-20-2009, 06:26 PM
Cool programs to tinker w/ going forward.....right now I'm doing 1x5 Monday, 3x8 DB RDL's Friday. My only qualm is "excessive" soreness following the RDL's impacting my monday ME-like effort. So far so good, though.

Blair Lowe
04-20-2009, 11:49 PM
1x a week, typically 3 work sets. 5 work sets made for a really shitty training day the next day but ok if it was a rest day.

I used to alternate DL with regular and snatch grip and sometimes stiff leg DL as an assistance. I haven't bothered to lately but may put it in somewhere eventually.

I don't count stuff like jump shrugs or clean or snatch pulls which I haven't done since last year.