PDA

View Full Version : log

glennpendlay
04-24-2009, 06:57 PM

KB snatch, OAS, 6 min with 24kg KB

noon- 1 hour Judo with Gant

felt like shit the rest of the day, but did do some bottoms up presses with the 16kg KB

KB snatch, MAS went for 8 min with 16kg bell

then fooled around with the 32kg KB for a while, clean and jerks, some snatches, some pressing.

Vertical Exercise with 45lb, 2 inch handle dumbells, went for 5 min

sat/sun was at collegiate nationals, took KB's with me but didnt end up doing anything with them. Drank hard liquor for the first time in a couple of years, drove back sunday afternoon feeling like crap.

Ate like crap all week, for some reason got on a pasta kick, which is unlike me, then made a whole bunch of fried rice to take to collegiates so i wouldnt have to eat out for 2 1/2 days, well fried rice with lots of veggies and sirloin and chicken in it is better than fast food, but its still fried rice. At least I know what my total food intake for fri afternoon, sat and sunday was...

16 cups rice
6 zuchinni
6 yellow squash
2 bags baby peas
2 sticks butter
12 eggs
1lb sirloin
1lb chicken breast
lots of soy sauce, thai sweat and hot sauce, oyster sauce and terriyaki sauce
a little bit of louisianna sauce, well, actually a liberal amount.

anyone want to add up the macronutrients on that???

Deadlifted 308lbs for a set of 10, double overhand grip. No warmup, just did it for the hell of it. Very easy.

Judo for 1 hour with Gant. Almost puked, mostly because I made homemade Pizza and ate a few pieces 45 min or so before Judo. Tasted wonderful but didnt want to stay down.

later that day, started to do KB jerks, gave up after 2-3 minutes, generally felt like shit from Judo.

vertical exercise with 45lb 2 inch handle DB's, went for 3 minutes. Was going to go for 5 minutes, but my upper body was pretty sore from Judo.

5 minutes of long cycle with 16kb KB. Pretty weak, but its been a stressful week, I dont feel that great today, havnt been sleeping worth a damn, and I have to get up early tomorrow (saturday) and drive to Amarillo for a weightlifting meet, and dont want to feel sore and like crap tomorrow.

The shit eating has continued, making pizza, spaghetti, etc every day. been busy, havnt been to the store, its what i have the ingredients to make and its relatively quick and easy, and the kiddos like it and i havnt been in the mood to listen to griping. Will be out of town over the weekend, and havnt made and packed food and its 9pm friday night, so the crap diet will continue for another day or two.

Chris H Laing
04-25-2009, 04:04 AM
Nice to see you finally have a log here. Good luck with your kids at the meet.

later that day, started to do KB jerks, gave up after 2-3 minutes, generally felt like shit from Judo.

Sounds exactly like me after a morning session of judo. I get a headache and my whole body just kinda shut down. You should try judo in the evening.

The judo classes I go to now start at 7:30 and end at 9:00, and then I dont have time for a headache or feeling like shit because I just go home and sleep it off. Maybe something for you to try if the feeling like shit continues after earlier sessions.

And again, welcome to the boards.

P.S. I started HB back squats after i read your post on the CF boards :D

glennpendlay
04-26-2009, 07:41 PM

Drove to Amarillo for weightlifting meet. left at 8am, got back at 9pm, so no training. But took 11 kids, 10 of them set new personal records, only one that didnt was Caleb who purposfully lifted light, going 6 for 6 and 145/180. My son clean and jerked 25kg, which I am proud of, since he is 7 years old. Also had an 8 year old girl who just started do 25kg on clean and jerk, she has done more in training but we went kind of light considering that it was her first meet. She is gonna be VERY good.

20 reps in vertical lift with 2" handle 45lb dumbells in the morning as a wake up, spent the rest of the day with my son, riding bikes, ran a bit at the track (William did a quarter mile in 2 min 51 sec, I didnt time myself), then finished the day with a couple of hours at chuck e cheese, mostly embarrassing myself at the basketball games. Actually played the basketball games enough times in a row to get lactic acid burning in my shoulders.

Also went to Sams and bought a brisket to smoke tomorrow. Got to get off this carb and pasta crappy eating binge.

One other odd diet fact, ate sardines for the first time in maybe 10 years today. remembered them as being horrible, but today they werent bad.

glennpendlay
04-28-2009, 07:39 PM

pretty much did nothing except ride my bike with my son a bit.

C2 rower, 2000 meters at a blistering pace. took me 9:29 to finish. went pretty slow and easy.

havn't rowed for a couple of weeks. a while back I did a 1:29 500 meters, and am getting the bug to try to beat that, but am just not in the mood for the nausea that goes with an all out 500, so I figure to try some slower longer distances, and hope that improves my 500 time next time im in the mood to try it.

glenn

glennpendlay
04-29-2009, 08:45 PM
did the C2 rower again today, another 2000 meters. This time did it in 8:30 Not really respectable, but not as suckish as yesterday. Wasnt really gassed out at the end, but was sweating buckets. But then again, I break a sweat tying my shoes, and start to drip when I have to get up and walk to the bathroom. I think I'm gonna take a day or two off from rowing, and then go for an 8:00 flat 2000 meters.

I looked around at the C2 site, and was surprised at how few people are in the low 1:20's for 500 meters. Considering I did 1:29 while in terrible shape and after just a few sessions on the rower, I think I might have a chance at getting a pretty respectable time on a 500 meter row. So, I'm kind of motivated to work on the rower. I know, its called cherry picking things you might be good at to stroke your ego... but whatever.

glenn

Brian Lawyer
04-30-2009, 10:30 AM
I think I'm gonna take a day or two off from rowing, and then go for an 8:00 flat 2000 meters.... So, I'm kind of motivated to work on the rower. I know, its called cherry picking things you might be good at to stroke your ego... but whatever.

glenn

That's not cherry picking. It's called having goals. You have been around long enough to know you have to have training goals. I've been watching your log above and it didn't appear you really had an end goal in mind at first. You were pulling the randomest things together (i.e. some rowing, some kettlebell stuff). Now it looks like you are getting into it with your 8:00 2000 meter rowing goal!

You doing anymore Judo training lately?

Keep up the good work!
Brian

glennpendlay
04-30-2009, 11:26 AM
Brian,

Random? Yeah. My log should be called "ex-competitive athlete who needs to train to stay in some semblance of shape, but not quite sure what he wants to do"

My training has to follow a few guidlines

1. Most of it has to take place out of a gym. I am in the gym 3+ hours most days coaching, cant train when I am coaching, and have no desire nor the time to spend more time in the gym.

2. It has to be portable. I travel a lot, have to be doing something I can do now and again on the road.

3. I have to do something that works around my numerous old injuries, and little physical things I dont care to tweak anymore.

4. It has to be more than just strength, Ive devoted around 20 years to the pursuit of strength, now at 38 years old health needs to play a part in my plans.

Now, I do have some concrete goals.

1. To get in better shape for Judo, and get better at Judo. I really, really like Judo, but cant make the scheduled evening practice sessions due to coaching responsibilities and kid duties. Gant has been kind enough to kick my ass for an hour once a week, and for now that has to be enough actual mat time. But due to this limited mat time, some of my other activities have to contribute to improving my physical condition for Judo. Im looking forward to not becoming nauseous before Gant gets his heart rate up.

2. I plan on competing in GS at some point in the future, but am in no hurry. So KB's, while a way to get in better general and overall condition, are also gonna play a part most weeks because I am trying to make some progress on the 10 minute sets of snatches/jerks/long cycle.

3. Ive always enjoyed grip training. I've always been proud of my grip strength. And one of my goals is to get back to the point where I can do some of the grip "feats of strength" that I used to be able to do. So its likely that my training will include some 2" barbell or dumbell work, or other grip training.

So given all this its likely that my training will stay somewhat "random". But within that randomness will be C2 training and the desire to post better 500 meter, 1000 meter, and 2000 meter times, long sets of KB lifts and the attempt to improve what I can do for snatch/jerk/long cycle in 10 minutes, and some grip work, if nothing more than lifting fat handled dumbells or barbells.

glenn

George Mounce
04-30-2009, 01:41 PM
Glenn, good luck on the C2 and glad to see you here. Don't let the C2 site fool you, the monsters don't always keep logs there. Plus, a 1:20/500m is too fast, most would burn out too quickly, plus the stroke rates are entirely different. The world record pace is a 1:24/500m. (World record C2 is 5:36.6 by Rob Waddell) and is absolutely cooking. That man has enormous power on the erg.

http://www.concept2.co.uk/records/index.php?type=2000_world

glennpendlay
04-30-2009, 03:04 PM
George,

I have no illusions of being world class on the rower, I just thought that judging by the times on the site, a, say 1:25 or lower 500 meters would be pretty good. Actually, If I could row 500 at the same pace the world record guy keeps for 2000 meters, id be pretty happy. I dont think thats far off.

Glenn

16kg KB snatch, 50 + 50, OAS in 6:15

This started out trying to be 100 + 100 in 10 min or less, but, lack of chalk at home and my sweaty hands and slick kettlebell handles, plus my dog getting underfoot several times and having to be pushed away derailed the effort. That and the fact that I have no cardiovascular fitness or muscular endurance.

I think the next time I try to do anything significant on DB snatches, Im going to go for 100 + 100 with Multiple Arm Switches, but still not setting the bell down. this shouldnt be too hard, and will allow me to wipe my sweaty palms every 10 reps or so when I switch hands.

I also cant wait till I can get some GS style KB's. The Ader bells that I have are fine for most stuff, but not the best for GS style training.

Brian Lawyer
04-30-2009, 03:33 PM
I plan on competing in GS at some point in the future, but am in no hurry.

What's GS? Also, next time I work out with you should show me how to do KB snatches since that seems to be a staple of your program. Remember that kettlebell I bought from you last month? I put it in my garage and haven't touched it since.

David Boyle
04-30-2009, 04:42 PM
Girevoy Sport.

YouTube Valery Fedorenko.

Beast!

glennpendlay
04-30-2009, 07:37 PM
Yeah, skinny little dude who can do with a 32kg KB more than I can do with a 16kg KB. All those top GS guys are from Krypton.

And Brian, you might be better served googling Valery than getting any advice from me on KB work. I am way more of a beginner there than a teacher. The only other guy around here that I know who does KB's is Gant, who has more experience with them than I have, and there is another Judo player who Gant says is big into them, but I dont know him. I think I'm the only one who is more into the "soft style" GS than the Pavel and DD "hard style" though.

And Brian, I'll see you at the meet on May 9th. I'm bringing 16 lifters.

glenn

Brian Lawyer
05-01-2009, 07:16 AM
And Brian, I'll see you at the meet on May 9th. I'm bringing 16 lifters.

Awesome! I am hoping the meet doesn't get cancelled due to swine flu. Hoping none of us get it. I am usually not overly paranoid about that kind of stuff but all these schools closing and everything, it's crazy.

glennpendlay
05-01-2009, 09:25 AM
Am I alone in thinking that this swine flu thing is a bit overblown? I mean we have flu every year, and every year some kids and old people, as well as those already sick or weakened for other reasons, die. Not trying to be hard hearted here... but so far I'm not sure I understand why this is such a big deal. maybe I'm missing something.

glenn

George Mounce
05-02-2009, 09:21 AM
Am I alone in thinking that this swine flu thing is a bit overblown? I mean we have flu every year, and every year some kids and old people, as well as those already sick or weakened for other reasons. Not trying to be hard hearted here... but so far I'm not sure I understand why this is such a big deal. maybe I'm missing something.

glenn

It is completely overblown. Even the news is now saying its completely overblown.

glennpendlay
05-02-2009, 09:47 AM
7 people dead in Mexico, 1 in Texas so far evidently. I'm certainly no expert, but I have a nurse friend who tells me that this must actually be a much less dangerous than average form of flu for the numbers to be so low. Evidently a great many people die from the flu in any normal year.

Allen Yeh
05-02-2009, 10:05 AM
7 people dead in Mexico, 1 in Texas so far evidently. I'm certainly no expert, but I have a nurse friend who tells me that this must actually be a much less dangerous than average form of flu for the numbers to be so low. Evidently a great many people die from the flu in any normal year.

The number I heard for the "regular" flu was 60,000 per year.

glennpendlay
05-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Well, evidently this strain is enough to keep Biden off of airplanes.

glennpendlay
05-05-2009, 12:43 AM
couple of days without training.

2000 meter row, in 8:48

decided to have a nice and easy row tonight. Didnt want to push myself that hard. It was nice that the time came in under 9 minutes. Was going to do the vo2 max KB thing, I think its called Viking warrior or something... but didnt want to be dead for Judo tomorrow. I'll do it later in the week.

Also, my 7 year old son rowed 500 meters in 2:48.

glenn

Derek Simonds
05-05-2009, 06:10 AM
Nice rowing by both of you.

Didn't you here the White House Press Secratary. VP Biden didn't mean to say that at all.... Probably the funniest clip I have ever heard out of a Press Secratary. he got grilled and just kept saying Biden didn't mean what he said.

glennpendlay
05-05-2009, 06:42 AM
I saw it. Hes not the smoothest press secretary we have ever had.

glennpendlay
05-05-2009, 12:07 PM

Just got back from noon Judo with Gant. Couple of things... one is that I do think I am getting in better grappling shape. Was out of breath and definately tired at one point today, but was never really uncomfortable. We did ground work at like 80% intensity for maybe 10 minutes (well Gant might have been going at 50%, I was going 80 or above) and I definately felt WAY better than in previous practices. Actually was looking forward to another conditioning/ground session at the end of practice, unlike last time when I was praying that Gant would forget that we planned that. Unfortunately, my left knee got funky when we were doing some standing technique work, and I had to call it quits for the day.

Other thing that I noticed and was happy with myself for is that I think I am "seeing" opportunities a lot faster than I have been (probably both because Im not sucking wind so bad, and because im getting back in the swing of wrestling), and this is allowing me to actually attempt something in about half the time it was taking me last time we practiced. Didnt discuss this with Gant but Id bet he would agree.

And last, Ive been thinking a lot over the past week or so about using the Gi, which is much different than the wrestling that I am used to. I think I did a LOT better today with getting a good lapel grip and using it to at least try to get Gant off balance today than I have in the past.

Now a question for those that might be reading this... been reading a bit about the VO2 max protocol for KB's... I think its out of a book called warrior conditioning. I'm too cheap to buy the book, but from what I gather from various websites and blogs, the initial program is basically snatch for 15 seconds, rest 15 seconds, switch hands and repeat... so basically you are doing 8 snatches at the top of the minute with one hand, resting till the bottom of the minute, doing 8 snatches with the other hand, and on and on, with the goal being to keep this up for 40 minutes. i am a bit tired of what I'm presently doing, and am thinking of trying this. Anyone here who can tell me if I have the program right, or have any experience doing this?

Since I have a competition this weekend, i know I wont be doing much training sat or sunday, so am wanting to do a long and hard KB workout thur or friday, and this seemed like a novel thing to try.

glenn

Chris H Laing
05-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Other thing that I noticed and was happy with myself for is that I think I am "seeing" opportunities a lot faster than I have been (probably both because Im not sucking wind so bad, and because im getting back in the swing of wrestling), and this is allowing me to actually attempt something in about half the time it was taking me last time we practiced. Didnt discuss this with Gant but Id bet he would agree.

I am having the same experiences as you. I started judo around 3 weeks ago, and yesterday I got my first arm bar during ground work, and I felt like I saw the opening and took it a lot faster than any previous ground session. Its a cool feeling :p

Gant Grimes
05-05-2009, 02:19 PM
You're definitely seeing things faster and reacting better. Your balance on the ground is good, and your hand speed is excellent. If we do matwork at the front and back of every session, you'll be there in six weeks. Getting the joints used to multi-directional movement will take a little longer, but that will come, as well. After that, it's about learning when to use strength (instead of trying to wad your opponent--me--up into a ball at all times).

I am having the same experiences as you. I started judo around 3 weeks ago, and yesterday I got my first arm bar during ground work, and I felt like I saw the opening and took it a lot faster than any previous ground session. Its a cool feeling :p

Excellent. It's good to see it and set it up fast, but don't lock it in fast until you're reeeeaaaally comfortable with it. I've had my elbows hyper-extended a few times by overzealous players.

Brian Lawyer
05-06-2009, 03:54 PM

Just got back from noon Judo with Gant. Couple of things... one is that I do think I am getting in better grappling shape.

I'll roll with you and Gant next time I am up there. You all will have to get me up to speed on Judo etiquette. I am not new to martial arts. I used to be really into MMA training. I trained about 3 days per week for 3 years cross training between BJJ, Muy Thai, wrestling takedowns, etc. That was about 7-8 years ago now.

I did go into a local MMA dojo a couple years ago and walking in off the street after about 4 years off from training I tapped out 4 out of the 5 guys who showed up to train that night. I think I got tapped out 1 time. Granted I don't know if those were that instructors prize fighters or not. But since I was the new guy off the street, I think most of the guys were probably going at me around 95-100% to try to kick my ass.

glennpendlay
05-06-2009, 07:40 PM
Brian, happy to, as long as you promise not to hurt me! I dont know the Judo etiquette either, but I think I am slowly learning at least some of it. I can say that I find Judo thouroughly enjoyable. I have tried MMA stuff twice. Once a few years ago with a police officer named Alan Killingsworth, who was a pretty strong and in shape guy of about 230lbs or so. Rolled around with him and a couple of his "students" for about an hour one night, then they never came back to the gym, so that ended that. Then maybe 8 months ago signed up for an MMA class at the Warriors Way academy where my son does his martial arts stuff, did 3-4 sessions, and they cancelled the class because no one was showing up (2-3 people showed up on a typical night). Both experiences were fun, but nowhere near as enjoyable as Judo. Knock on wood, but I think this will be my new sport, as long as I can stay healthy. I have the same sort of excitement and anticipation that I did when I started my last 3 sports, wrestling, powerlifting, and Olympic weightlifting. Now to just figure out a way to get more mat time...

glennpendlay
05-06-2009, 08:09 PM
Did a 3000 meter row today, was going to be 5000 but I ran out of time and had to quit to hurry up and go and pick up my son from his warriors way academy.

It was kind of a sucky row. I had gotten some advice from a decent rower on how to better my form and technique. Most of the advice centered on lengthening the stroke and slowing down the stroke rate. So, I tried really hard to slow down the rate. It was frustrating. My split time kept creeping towards 3:00. I tried to speed up, but then the stroke rate went up past 30. It was VERY hard to keep the stroke rate below 27 and at the same time keep the split time below 3:00. So I did a 3000 meter row in 16:48, didnt really break a sweat, and didnt really get winded. So felt like a wast of time, but I'm sure it wasnt, because I have been assured that the key to good times on rows is to minimize the stroke rate at a certain speed. Ive been told that this is especially true for a big fat guy like me, the more energy wasted moving my fat ass up and down the slide the quicker I will tire. Makes sense.

And, since I need to beat Gant's 1:27 500 meters as quickly as possible, I need all the technique advantages I can get.

glenn

Arien Malec
05-07-2009, 09:53 AM
It was kind of a sucky row. I had gotten some advice from a decent rower on how to better my form and technique. Most of the advice centered on lengthening the stroke and slowing down the stroke rate. So, I tried really hard to slow down the rate. It was frustrating. My split time kept creeping towards 3:00.

It's all about power and recovery. A stroke rate of 30 is insane. Deliberately break this habit by going down to 20 strokes/min and working on getting max power from each stroke and working the catch. Don't even worry about split times, just worry about getting max power from each stroke and setting up the catch on the next stroke. Think a 1:2 ratio in stroke:recovery -- count 1 (stroke), 2, 3 (recovery & catch).

See if you can get that rowing coach to work with you -- if that's your technique and you are getting close to sub 1:30 times on the 500m, when you clean up your technique, with your size, strength, and power, you should be able to mop the floor with Gant really soon :) .

Brian Lawyer
05-07-2009, 09:55 AM
I have the same sort of excitement and anticipation that I did when I started my last 3 sports, wrestling, powerlifting, and Olympic weightlifting. Now to just figure out a way to get more mat time...

With your wrestling background you should have some really good take down skills and working in the clinch.

You sound a lot like me. I had to give up the MMA hobby because it's just too much trouble finding time to hit the mats. A decent MMA gym will run you $100 - $150 per month and then you restricted to their training schedule. I went hobbyless for several years then got turned onto this Olympic lifting thing. O'Lifting is easier to train for because I do so much of the work on my own. A very individual sport.

See you tomorrow!

glennpendlay
05-07-2009, 11:45 AM
Arien,

You've given me more evidence my technique sucks. Before I got some advice I was going at a 33-34 stroke rate when I rowed 2k, no telling what it was when I hit the 1:29 500 meters. Obviously higher than 34 though. Im going to do another longer, slower row today, and focus on applying force to the handle through the whole stroke, some other advice I got elsewhere, and still trying to slow down the stroke rate.

Brian,

See me tomorrow? Am I missing something? Isnt this Thursday?

See you on Saturday!

glenn

Gant Grimes
05-07-2009, 12:00 PM
It's all about power and recovery. A stroke rate of 30 is insane. Deliberately break this habit by going down to 20 strokes/min and working on getting max power from each stroke and working the catch. Don't even worry about split times, just worry about getting max power from each stroke and setting up the catch on the next stroke. Think a 1:2 ratio in stroke:recovery -- count 1 (stroke), 2, 3 (recovery & catch).

See if you can get that rowing coach to work with you -- if that's your technique and you are getting close to sub 1:30 times on the 500m, when you clean up your technique, with your size, strength, and power, you should be able to mop the floor with Gant really soon :) .

I'm going to peep this log to use techniques designed to beat me to my own benefit. WTF is stroke rate? Mine was 36. What should it be?

Brian, you're always welcome on our mat. There's no ego in our gym.

Arien Malec
05-07-2009, 01:00 PM
I'm going to peep this log to use techniques designed to beat me to my own benefit. WTF is stroke rate? Mine was 36. What should it be?

Basically, watch all of this stuff:

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html#Row

There's also some good stuff in the CFJ, if you have a current subscription.

Stroke rate is strokes/minute. The temptation in rowing is to go faster by going faster, but speed in rowing is power in the drive, and power requires a good recovery and catch, so rushing the catch actually makes you go slower.

I'm not a rowing expert, but I improved my rowing speed dramatically by slowing the recovery and working on the drive.

I think that a stroke rate of 35 is the max you should be shooting for during a sprint, but only with rock solid technique on the recovery to maximize the drive.

glennpendlay
05-07-2009, 04:54 PM
Was going to go long and slow on the C2 today, but I got on the rower, seemed to be doing good with longer, slower strokes pulling hard the whole stroke, so I couldnt resist trying a 500 meters. Was able to maintain a 1:22 pace with 30 strokes per minute for 350 meters, then I absolutely died. Was weird, at 300 meters felt good, was even thinking I could speed up the last 100 meters, then at 350 meters I hit a hard wall, I mean there was NOTHING left. Finished in 1:36.8. Pretty disapointing.

Rested a while, and did another one, went really slow the first 100 meters, just trying to get the stroke right, and keep the rate low, then for 400 meters settled in at a 1:35 pace with a stroke rate of 28, and kept it there till the end, finished in 1:41. Was very comfortable and not that winded at the end.

Not quite the stroke rate I want, but definately better than the 34 rate with 2:10 or so split times that I was doing before working on technique.

Im very tempted to get up in the morning and try to set a 1:28 to 1:30 pace for the first 350 meters, then see if I have anything left to speed up, but the smart thing to do would be to do KB's instead, get off the rower for a couple of days, do a couple of 2k or 5k rows, then try the 500 again. Maybe brains will win out for once, maybe they wont.

glennpendlay
05-07-2009, 07:56 PM
Also, anyone reading this feel free to look at my sons log and give him some encouragement on his weightlifting, KB lifting, or rowing. He is pretty excited about his log, in fact he would probably make 10 posts a day if I would let him.

glennpendlay
05-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Ok, brains lost today, couldnt stay off the rower. did a 1000meter row. goal was to keep around a 2 minute pace with as low a stroke rate as possible. I was pretty successfull. Kept a stroke rate of 24, finished in 3:53, thats a 500m split of 1:56. This is WAY slower stroke rate than I had a week or so ago at this same speed. A couple of times, just to see what would happen, I started putting a bit more "juice" into the pull, while still going real slow on the recovery, and got my pace down as low as 1:39, still maintaining a 24 stroke rate. then went right back to a 2:00 pace. When I finished I was not sweating, and only mildly winded. A huge improvement.

I used to feel like i was "fighting snakes" when I rowed. For those unfamiliar with the term, I first encountered it when working for Flint pipeline out of Odessa, Texas when I was 17 years old. I had procurred a fake drivers license that said i was 18 to get hired on. It was $600 a week take home when my friends were getting $3.35 minimum wage at McDonalds. We were pouring a flat slab of concrete, the foreman told me that when it started to pour, to rake it out as hard and fast as I could. It started, and I thought I was working hard, only to get screamed at "Boy, when I say hard, I dont mean just hard, I mean go at it like your fighting snakes" well, thats it minus a few of the swear words. So basically going like you are fighting snakes means to go absolutely balls out.

Anyway, I dont feel like this at all when I row now. More smooth, controlled, etc. I feel like Im moving only half as fast, but generating the same power.

Then after rowing I picked up a 24kg KB, and swung it around for about 10 minutes, long enough to get my back, arms, shoulders burning. didnt keep track of anything, just did snatches, long cycle, jerks, swings, till I got tired.

Arien Malec
05-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Anyway, I dont feel like this at all when I row now. More smooth, controlled, etc. I feel like Im moving only half as fast, but generating the same power.

Feel the fear, Gant!

glennpendlay
05-09-2009, 12:49 AM
Im up from insomnia, like 3 hours after I went to bed, which sucks. Anyway, Gant is a pretty cool customer. Its more likely that he has a 1:22 or something just waiting to pop than that he is anything like scared. Anyway, im sure he can beat me at 1k, 2k, 5k, 10k, as well as about any other workout that doesnt involve 1 rep maximums with a barbell.

Also, have any of you ever tried to just haul on the rower for maybe 10 strokes to see what "pace" you could temporarily achieve? Did that with Caleb Ward today, I got 1:08, he got 1:14. I was surprised I beat him. But his huge legs got in the way of a full stroke, and he had never sat on a rower before. He also had screwed up row technique, knocked himself all the way off the rower the first time he really pulled all out... I mean all the way off to the floor behind the slide. so maybe not so surprising. Id be interested to hear if any others have tried this.

glenn

Derek Simonds
05-09-2009, 05:31 AM

Brian, you're always welcome on our mat. There's no ego in our gym.

You guys just keep getting more fired up to row. Sucks that I am out of town pretty much non stop for the next couple of weeks.

Glenn your making huge progress on the rower I am super impressed.

Brian I will attest to the fact that they have a really cool vibe at their Judo gym. Even being a BJJ Player and out of towner I was welcomed warmly and everyone was super cool.

Brian Lawyer
05-09-2009, 07:11 PM
You guys just keep getting more fired up to row.....Brian I will attest to the fact that they have a really cool vibe at their Judo gym. Even being a BJJ Player and out of towner I was welcomed warmly and everyone was super cool.

You all are getting me fired up to row to! Too bad I don't have a rower.

Glenn, Good seeing you today. That was a lot of fun except for the muddy pit we had to park in. The barn was exactly how I envisioned it. The whole bit about "Van Alstyne Fine Arts and Recreation Center" on the invitation did throw me off a bit.

Brian Lawyer
05-09-2009, 07:18 PM
Funny story for you guys. That story I told you above when I hit up the local MMA dojo a couple years ago to see what kind of MMA skills I had left, I ended up with Staph and passed it around the whole family. Me to son to wife back to me. Not fun. When it was all said and done that one trip to the gym probably cost me $200 in medical bills.

The guys at the dojo were actually really cool and I can't for sure say I got it from there because I was also going to a globo gym. They weren't abnormally cocky or anything. I mean they went as hard as I wanted to go. The owner even said I could drop in and roll with them whenever. Unfortunatley, the wifey said no way after the whole staph incident.

glennpendlay
05-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Brian,

My son posted to you in his log. He really did remember you from Bobby and I talking about your lifts! sorry he called you bald!

Believe it or not, William also told me that your elbows dont come around fast enough, guess he wasnt playing darts the whole time. Its pretty odd but 9 times out of 10 he gets the right call on technique. One time he told me that Bobby's hips came forward on his dip and drive, and he was right!

the first time I went to this meet, I drove back and forth down the road in front of it, looking for a fine arts and convention center for 30 minutes. It threw me off too.

glenn

glennpendlay
05-10-2009, 08:10 PM
No training on Saturday.

Today I did one arm long cycle with a 16kg KB. Went a full 10 minutes with arm switches about every 10 reps or so. Got 125 total reps. didnt set the bell down.

Almost rowed again, then good sense hit. The odd thing is, the last two weeks of rowing have made KB lifting much easier. Got a real good sweat going today, but was not winded at all, instead of feeling miserable with burning muscles, instead I got a pleasent pumped feeling. Not sure I agree with Arnold about it being better than sex, but it was a pleasant feeling.

Granted this wasnt that hard a set, nothing like if I had done only one arm switch, or 2 KB long cycle...but still. It was pleasant, and I dont know if Ive ever felt like that about a 10 minute KB set, no matter how light or how many arm switches.

glennpendlay
05-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Set out to do a fairly fast 1k row, got a bit over 500m with a fairly comfortable 1:39 pace, and a minor emergency forced me to jump off the rower.

wasnt able to get back to my workout for about 2 hours, at which time i said screw it.

So, did a total of less than two minutes of training today. yeah for me.

I really need to cut this crap out for a while and do some nice long rows, long to me being in the 10 to 20 minute range. Ive been told by those who would know more than I that 3 or 4 20 minute rows at a nice comfy pace will do more for my 500m time than continually chasing fast 500's and 1k's. Im also gonna cut out the one arm switch crap on the kettlebells for a while. Its so uncomfortable, its making me really dread doing them. Lots of arm switches is fun, comfortable, I do a good amount of work, get a good sweat going, etc. And its not like its not gonna not help my GS type training.

Id like to do some nice 10 minute sets in the near future, with multiple arm switches, that keep a real good pace. Would be nice to get 200 reps in 10 minutes in the 1 arm long cycle with 16kg, and get near that with the 24kg KB. 200 reps in the snatch in 10 minutes with a 16kg KB is a nice workout with multiple arm switches, its hell with one arm switch.

I also want to commit to deadlifting once per week. Swinging the KB's and a couple of light DL sessions were enough to get me back to a comfortable set of 400lbs for 10... But to continue to move up from there Im gonna actually have to deadlift. Id like to get something like 500 or 550 for 10. I think I should be able to do this pretty comfortably if I deadlift once a week. And I think this would help my Judo a bit, and help my rowing. And do something for my self esteem, you know, the whole "Im really not an old, out of shape, weak, fat POS" thing.

glennpendlay
05-12-2009, 09:52 AM
Just reaffirmed the obvious, that my conditioning sucks. Tried out the viking conditioning KB thing... basically 8 snatches w/ 16kg KB in 15 sec, rest 15 sec, snatch with other arm in 15 sec, rest for 15 sec, and so on for 40 min. yeah right.

First off, a couple of minutes of experimenting showed me that doing 8 snatches in 15 seconds sucks. My normal pace on long sets with snatches and a 16kg bell is maybe 12-15 per minute. I can go 20 per minute pushing it. This a pace of 32 per minute. I knew that I couldnt keep that pace for long, so I opted to cut it to 6 snatches in 15 sec. felt much better.

Planned on going for 20 min, but stopped at 10 minutes. Thats a total of 120 snatches in 10 minutes, with 10 arm switches. On a regular set, snatching fairly slowly, never setting the KB down... this would not be that hard of a set at all. But snatching fast, resting, snatching fast, resting, etc, actually made it harder, not easier. I thought that having the KB sitting on the ground for 30 sec out of every minute would make this easy. not so.

Now for a little philosophising on effect... I have done a couple of sets of 16kg bell for 150 or so snatches in 10 minutes without setting the bell down. A monotonous, boring task. No real feeling of lactic acids... Just progressively more fatigue as the set wears on. Ive hit 200 snatches in 10 minutes once. It sucked. Started sucking at around 4 or 5 min gets slowly and progressively worse, at 8-9 minutes, your at the breaking point, and have to gut it out. But in either case, the fatigue builds slowly.

On this snatch/rest protocol, its a bit different. It gets you into the sucky place almost immedietly, then keeps you in the same place for the rest of the set, with no real relief and no getting worse. If I had just a bit more fitness, I could keep it up for 40 min im sure, it would just be a steady state suck for 38 minutes.

Anyway, this seems to be a useful and fun protocol. Something I will probably keep doing.

glennpendlay
05-12-2009, 08:31 PM
Felt good tonight even with the morning KB session, so I did an interval rowing session. 5ea 500 meter rows, 2 minutes rest between each. All rows were between 1:55 and 1:58 pace, all rows were at 25 strokes per minute. Overall, didnt feel that bad. Easy enough that I could concentrate mostly on form, and getting the stroke and return right. On each row, I kept at a 2:00 pace or as close as possible, but once during each one I cranked a few strokes and got down to around 1:30 for a stroke or two while keeping the stroke rate at 25-26.

Overall I really felt pleasant training today. nothing was really killer hard, even though the KB's this morning kind of put me in a suckier place than I had thought that particular workout would, I recovered fast, and even comtemplated doing it again an hour later... then good sense got the better of me. But I'm finally in good enough shape that hard effort is becoming less sucky and more enjoyable. I remember when wrestling... A hard run, or a hard jump rope, sit-up, pushup, squat-thrust circut, or 6 or 7 minutes straight of live mat work... they would leave me gasping for air and heart pounding for sure... but it was an enjoyable feeling, full of endorphins and such. When your out of shape, you dont get that feeling, it just sucks to push hard. Im finally getting past the stage of total suck and thats good.

glenn

Craig Loizides
05-13-2009, 08:58 AM
Also, have any of you ever tried to just haul on the rower for maybe 10 strokes to see what "pace" you could temporarily achieve? Did that with Caleb Ward today, I got 1:08, he got 1:14. I was surprised I beat him. But his huge legs got in the way of a full stroke, and he had never sat on a rower before. He also had screwed up row technique, knocked himself all the way off the rower the first time he really pulled all out... I mean all the way off to the floor behind the slide. so maybe not so surprising. Id be interested to hear if any others have tried this.

glenn

There was a video in the CrossFit Journal recently about rowing for max power output. One CFer rowed a little over 900 Watts which is supposedly a world class number. I'm not sure what 1:08 pace translates to, but it sounds really fast. Next time you try it, set the monitor to Watts instead of 500 m pace.

glennpendlay
05-13-2009, 09:39 AM
Craig, 1:08 pace is about 1150 Watts. 1:03 is 1450 watts, approximately. Thats kind of my goal, because there is a guy, forget his name, than holds the 100m and 500m sprint world records that is supposed to have a 1:03 pace as his best LP.

David Mathews
05-13-2009, 10:01 AM
Glenn,
Just curious, what do you set your damper on?

glennpendlay
05-13-2009, 10:40 AM
At first it was always 10. I'm still by far fastest at 10. But the advice of serious rowers is to get it down to the 4-5 range, that I will be fastest in the long run at those settings. So I'm slowly moving it down. last workout was on 7. But at this point, its still definately harder for me to maintain say a 1:45 pace on 7 than it is on 10. I think a higher damper setting favors the stronger individual, while a lower damper setting favors the more fit individual.

glenn

glennpendlay
05-18-2009, 09:42 PM
viking warrior training protocol w/ KB's today, did the 15:15 thing with a 16kg KB, 30 sets of 6. Didnt so much stop because I was tired, but out of boredom. Its just hard for me to keep something up for more than 10-15 minutes... it just gets boring. Maybe thats why I liked OL, over in 2 seconds.

But still, better than last time by 10 sets (5 minutes).

I know I can do this sucker for 40 minutes and 80 sets, just have to find a really good program on TV or get a young friend to program something stimulating on an ipod for me.

Or maybe I just need to train more. who knows?

PS: i have really been considering making myself a sword. A real longsword. I think practicing with it would be way cooler than KB's, and would be great for the forearms and shoulders. I'm serious here. And when the zombies come... well thats self explanatory...

glenn

glennpendlay
05-20-2009, 08:06 PM
Caleb jerked 200kg today, which kind of raised the testosterone level in the gym, and compelled me to ditch the rowing and KB's and do some good old fashioned chest and arms, and go for the pump.

DB bench press, 30lbs X 20, 40lbs X 20, no rest in between

EZ bar curl, 50lbs X 20 reps

EZ bar standing tricep press, 50lbs X 20

no rest really between any of that, got a great pump! It was fun.

But seriously... it WAS a good day in the gym. Caleb has gotten to the point where a 200kg clean is kind of stupid easy, but he has missed the jerk several times. Hes always been a great jerker, its really just been a mental block. So hitting it tonight was a big mental breakthrough. It was an easy lift, hopefully we can get started towards 210 and 220 now.

Yesterday, Caleb and I did a seminar at a high school. 80 boys, and about 50 girls, and they bused in about 100 middle school kids to watch also. I did so many demo's... all with the empty bar, or 95lbs, but still, about 5 hours of them, that I was sore today from it. Good thing is that all the kids improved, a lot of the kids dramatically improved, and a few were doing really, really pretty cleans and stuff by the end of it. And we got to eat at Ghengis Grill on the way home, and I freaking LOVE that place.

Steven Low
05-20-2009, 08:18 PM
lol glenn that post cracks me up.

Good stuff though, especially with the students... and curls. :)

glennpendlay
05-20-2009, 10:52 PM
More importantly, Ghengis Grill. Its that good. And, I really did pump up my chest and arms. measured the guns when I got home, still 19 inches. pretty good for not training for several years. New goal, to have over 20 inch guns while weighing under 300lbs.

Do curls need to follow periodization?

I'm thinking of doing some static tension holds when driving down to Fort Worth to eat at Ghengis Grill again this weekned. I've heard that helps.

glenn

BTW... just breaking news. A good friend of mine just called and reported that a local all you can eat asian food place had a decent Mongolian BBQ section. If its true, forget all I said about goals to attain under 300lbs. If its not true, then all the rowing, crazyballs, and pumping the chest and arms will eventually see me getting a bit leaner. stay tuned...

glennpendlay
05-24-2009, 11:25 AM
200 snatches (100 w/ each arm) with 24kg KB. switched arms and sat KB down as needed. Worked up a pretty darn good sweat with that one.

Did a lot of bike riding yesterday. got a harness and rope so i cold hook Mack to the handlebars of williams bike so he could pull him. had a good time riding around the neighborhood hooked up like that... then we took Maggie out and hooked her up, and oddly enough she is the real puller between the two of them. That dog pulled william for a good 2 miles without him ever having to pedal, and did the whole distance at a pretty fast trot, breaking into a run every once in a while. Fun stuff.

Also, I did check out the Mongolian BBQ place in town. for $6.75 I got all I could eat (was 2 big bowls for me) of beef, chicken, pork, shrimp, mushrooms, brocolli, onions, peppers, cabbage and carrots and baby corn... brocolli and beef and onions were the three main ingredients...didnt use any noodles. And a couple of tall glasses of water with a bowl of lemon slices, 2 of which were squeezed into the water and the rest were just eaten.

All in all a fairly healthy lunch, and very tasty, for a very reasonable price.

glennpendlay
05-26-2009, 02:01 AM
Did nothing today (well, yesterday, its well past midnight) except a lot of bike riding with my son and my dogs. My Pit is really learning to pull a bike. He didnt get it at first, but now I think he knows what I want him to do. He pulled william today for a good 2 miles without william ever having to pedal. Of course we went about 5-6 miles, and he was panting and lagging by the time we got home.

Maggie is still wild... pulls well but wants to fight dogs that bark at her. We had a little weiner dog come out from his yard and "attack" us today. It was kind of funny to watch this 10lb dog bark and actually come up and bite Mack's leg, ankle really, and see him just cock his ears and look amused. The weiner's owners were horrified, but no harm came of it.

I was really sore today. Mainly in my back, neck to ass really. KB snatches really hit a large portion of the body if you enough of them. I felt them from my knees to my neck, but mostly in my whole back.

glenn

Leo Soubbotine
05-26-2009, 05:41 AM
Ghengis Grill is awesome. The first thing I looked up online when I got back from the Nutrition Cert in Ft. Worth was if they have it in florida! Sure enough they don't :(

I ate probably 5 bowls that day. The food is amazing and you can't beat the price!

glennpendlay
05-27-2009, 03:12 PM
200 long cycle KB with a 24kb bell. 100 w/ each arm.

just to mix it up, I did it ladder style, or 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1... rested here and there as needed.

I definately think it sucks less when doing it this way, just less monotonous.

At some point, I am going to grow a pair and try another GS style 10 min set. Im betting I would do better now than a few months ago. But just not looking forward to the pain enough quite yet.

Gant Grimes
05-27-2009, 03:17 PM
Nice work. +1 or Genghis Grill. I used to eat there and BDs BBQ all the time. There was also a place on lower Greenville in Dallas that had a great Mongolian lunch buffet for $4.99. That was my cafeteria for rugby training. I haven't tried the one here yet. Mongolian selections at Chinese buffets can be sketchy. But I owe you lunch, so let's try it.

Sorry I've been out of the loop. I jacked my teres minor somehow. I don't know how I did it or the extent of the damage, but I haven't been able to do a pullup for almost a week, and I don't anticipate it getting better for at least another week.

glennpendlay
05-27-2009, 03:23 PM
Gant,

I am hoping to get on the mat with you again as soon as your ok to go, so tell me when you get healed up.

I've been watching tons of Judo videos, so watch out!! (just joking)

And though I dont remember you owing me lunch, I'm all for hitting the buffet sometime.

Glenn

Gant Grimes
05-28-2009, 07:53 AM
Funny, I read this after I texted you about lunch. I just finished a plate of eggs and brisket, and I'm getting fired up.

I just peered into my crystal ball and saw this:

Just had lunch with Gant. Damn, that guy can eat. It started off pretty even, but he pulled away at plate three. I can't believe a 90kger made me his bitch at the buffet. I better stick with the Luann Platter next time.

glennpendlay
05-28-2009, 08:57 AM
Mmmm..... brisket...

I'm smoking one this weekend.

glennpendlay
05-28-2009, 08:34 PM
Well, Gant's crystal ball was right. I had two plates, he had three. The shame tempered only slightly by the fact that my plates were much higher quality than his, containing VEGETABLES and stuff. Also I planned to row that afternoon, and didnt want to be miserable stuffed... a condition I know well. My access to a C2 rower has been sketchy lately, and this proved to be my undoing today again. No access, so I said screw it and didnt train at all today. I was set to go for a good time and the inability to do so kind of pissed me off.

The only real downside to today is that I admitted to my son that Gant ate more than me, and he has laughed at me all evening. I will state here and now, that I will challenge Gant to a pizza eating contest at some point in the future.

Gant, you can choose the brand, and the eat the crust/dont eat the crust question. Can we set a date?

Brian Lawyer
05-29-2009, 11:18 AM
When are you and Caleb going to worlds?

glennpendlay
06-02-2009, 01:20 PM
Brian,

we are leaving June 16th.

35 seems to be a bad number for me. Yesterday I set out to do 69 reps on the 2 arm long cycle with 16kg KB's, got a phone call I couldnt ignore at rep 35.

(this odd goal would serve to satisfy a level III ranking in the WKC)

Today I set out to do the same thing. Got a knock on the door at rep 35. Did 5 more quick reps just so I could say I did more than yesterday, so did 40, then answered the door. wow.

Gant Grimes
06-03-2009, 08:35 AM
Well, Gant's crystal ball was right. I had two plates, he had three. The shame tempered only slightly by the fact that my plates were much higher quality than his, containing VEGETABLES and stuff. Also I planned to row that afternoon, and didnt want to be miserable stuffed... a condition I know well. My access to a C2 rower has been sketchy lately, and this proved to be my undoing today again. No access, so I said screw it and didnt train at all today. I was set to go for a good time and the inability to do so kind of pissed me off.

The only real downside to today is that I admitted to my son that Gant ate more than me, and he has laughed at me all evening. I will state here and now, that I will challenge Gant to a pizza eating contest at some point in the future.

Gant, you can choose the brand, and the eat the crust/dont eat the crust question. Can we set a date?

You did have vegetables. So did I. Cows and chickens eat vegetables, so I got some by proxy. By the way, I also added garlic, which is vegetably. And all three of my bowls were loaded with pineapple. Those were good sized bowls, by the way. That place doesn't mess around like other Mongolian BBQ places.

I accept your challenge. I also posted on William's log that he is invited to watch the carnage. We will both be pointing and laughing by the end of the meal, well, the end of your meal anyway.

CiCi's and Double Dave's both have lunch buffets. I think Mazzio's does, too. I've put up big numbers at CiCi's, but I'd prefer something else.

Let's keep the rules simple.

1. no dunking
2. leave crusts for counting purposes (1/2"-3/4" for small slices, 3/4"-1" for larger slices)
3. eat what's out there- no waiting on thin crust cheese
4. select consecutive pieces to account for "cutting discrepancies"

How about next week?

glennpendlay
06-03-2009, 10:09 AM
Yes, you consumed large quantities of pineapple, and garlic. I will give you that.

Next week sometime sounds good.

How is the shoulder?

glennpendlay
06-03-2009, 11:54 AM
45 2 hand long cycle with 16kg KB's.

wasnt even shooting for 69 this time. Just did 45 and quit. Wasnt really in the mood to push it today.

glennpendlay
06-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Wanted a full 10 minute set today, so I went with one arm long cycle. used a 20kg KB. kept with a 7-8 rpm pace and changed hands as needed. ended with 72 reps at the 10 minute mark.

One arm long cycle is the most enjoyable type of set for me, probably because it is the easiest to get a full 10 minutes with.

Sometimes it doesnt seem like im making the progress I should be with the whole "getting back into shape" thing. But, I do notice that at the end of a long KB set, my heart rate is close to normal and I feel decent within a few minutes, where a while back i felt like crap for quite a while. I cant wait to regain access to a C2.

glennpendlay
06-13-2009, 04:09 PM
Have had a weird week. Quite a bit of personal crap, and havnt done much exercising.

Today, did one arm long cycle with 20kg bell. Maintained 10 RPM throughout, so 100 reps. Oddly enough, with a week off roughly, and lots of stress etc, I was really happy with this set. Did NOT get really tired, felt like I could have probably kept it up for another 10 minutes. Very odd.

I think next time I do this, I need to either up it to 12 RPM, or use a 24kg bell. 12 RPM sucks in long cycle, so I will probably go to the 24kg bell.

glenn

glennpendlay
06-14-2009, 09:40 PM
9am

30 two arm long cycle with 16kg KB's, then immedietly picked up a pair of 20kg's and did 15 more reps.

noon

10 minute set of one arm long cycle with a 20kg bell, did 10rpm, so a total of 100

then went hiking with my dogs in the wichita mountains (hills, really) game preserve. Found out my dogs dont like buffalos. Then drove to the top of Mount Scott (a fairly big hill) and climbed around on the rocks up there for about an hour. my legs WILL be sore tomorrow.

My pit is very afraid of heights and being on the edge of high up places. My lab/border collie mix is not scared of all, in fact she scares me by how she will walk the edge. A thunderstorm started about a mile or so away while we were up there, with lots of lightning and stuff. Was really pretty to watch. Only problem is that Maggie (the lab/border collie) barks at thunder. In fact runs around barking and biting the air sometimes, she really doesnt like it. Its funny, and annoying. Mack doesnt mind thunder at all.

Doing stuff like that, driving around in that kind of decent scenery, really makes me wish I had a motorcycle again. I owned a motorcycle from age 14 to about age 35. Not the same bike, of course, various ones. Now its been 3 years or so without. I REALLY want a damn bike. I wonder if they let you test drive Harley's. I think I will call somewhere and see. If they do, I think I just might go and act like I want to buy one, and take it for an afternoon test drive soon.

Anyone here a bike nut? Any suggestions if I decide to get one? What I want is a big or at least decent sized bike that is appropriate for a roughly 300lb guy, that is comfortable to ride, even with a passenger. My last bike was an 800 Suzuki Intruder. I really liked the look of it, but never felt it was big enough to really be comfortable. I like the idea of a Harley, but I am not married to owning one. I have a friend who has a BMW touring bike that is really, really nice and comfy to ride. But I dont know anything about BMW bikes.

Dave Van Skike
06-15-2009, 10:17 AM
gimme a call some evening. I have beaten motorcycle addiction many times.

Any of the really big Jap 4's (1100 cc's or above) are fine fully loaded (3 bill man and wife) I have one that a couple of my larger friends have tried adn found it quite adequate even in a mild state of tune.

The suspension mods to get a bike to handle a big fella are not that tough to do yourself. Mostly you ship the fork legs and shock(s) off to a specialist and they send it back dialed in. makes it a whole new bike. In fact no one should touch their jetting or exhaust on a stock bike until they've dialed in the suspension. There is a huge return on investment.

Many big touring twins are great to ride but don't really make enough snot to really propel a larger fellow. The sport flavored bikes do much beter but then you're into challenging ergos for anyone over 6'2". I had a Duc 900 SS that was plenty quick, but at 230 with gear on, the bike was bit taxed when you really put the screws to it. Big BMW's are nice if you're a bigger guy but the top ends on the new oilheads make all sorts of nasty clashy sounds, aftermarket exhaust required to cover that.

You can test drive anything with a CC. There are a couple place in S Florida that you can even rent a HD for the day and ride down the Keys if you're ever there. of course, that's a Harley, which is not a motorcycle, it's a paint mixer.

honestly, one of the funnest bikes I've ever ridden for touring the flatlands was an old Cop Bike. Aircooled Kawasaki 4, big, sloppy and heavy but really a fun bike for the money. The decommisioned BMW cop bikes are very quick for a touring platform with luggage and electric generation capacity to spare . you could run a 10 disc changer, an AMP, a GPS and Microwave in those things.

glennpendlay
06-20-2009, 02:41 AM
Yesterday did a set of 10 in the deadlift with 140kg in the warmup room at worlds. Got some funny looks. Been pretty busy, havnt had time to do much else. Should have time to do another set tomorrow when Caleb lifts. Just one more session tonight, then two sessions tomorrow, then its drink some beer, and get on the plane for the 25 hour trip home.

glennpendlay
06-29-2009, 10:53 AM
well havnt posted much lately. Been back from worlds for exactly one week now, getting back into a routine finally.

have done a few sets of KB's, nothing too earth shattering, and have also added in a 45 min to an hour of walking in the evening... or walk/jog more accurately. My son rides his bike, I walk both dogs, and we just tool around the neighborhood for around 45 minutes... Good for me, good for William, great for the dogs. I am planning on some hiking trips later in the summer, this is my way of starting to get ready for them.

I have a pair of competition style 24kg KB's on the way, am quite looking forward to them getting here.

glennpendlay
06-30-2009, 07:57 PM
45 min walk/jog with my two dogs. Then one arm long cycle, 16kg KB, 10rpm for 20 minutes. changed arms on the minute.

Not that impressive of a set, but its my first time to go 20 min without setting the bell down.

glennpendlay
07-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Yesterday did the following

45min walk/jog, then 20 reps on the two arm long cycle with two 16kg bells, then 20 reps two arm long cycle with two 20kg bells.

glennpendlay
07-02-2009, 10:49 PM
did a bunch of arms stuff today. yesterday actually, 7/02/09. Its slightly after midnight here. Cant neglect the guns. curls hurt, but standing french press, or standing tricep extensions with an EZ curl bar, whatever you want to call them, feel so damn good. Love that exercise. Eventually, would like to be as strong as my dad was on them, he did curls and tricep extensions here and there, and he was strong as hell with his triceps.

Does the genetic drive to be better/stronger/manlier than your dad ever stop?

glenn

glennpendlay
07-06-2009, 07:46 PM
32kg KB, 3 reps of snatch on the minute, switching from right arm one time, left arm next time.

This was a workout I saw somewhere, was supposed to be hard, but was really easy. Then I find out I was supposed to do 3 reps with each arm every minute... so i basically cut the workout in half, which explains why it was easy. oh well.

But snatching a 32kg bell is a bitch, no matter what.

Also been keeping up with the walking at night, in fact have been increasing the distance slowly.

glennpendlay
07-07-2009, 06:56 PM
today, 10 minute set of single arm long cycle, 10rpm, hand switches on the minute. 20kg KB

glennpendlay
07-11-2009, 09:37 AM
Yesterday morning at 1am was in hotel and couldnt sleep, so I got up and did...

10 min set of one arm long cycle, 24kg KB at 10rpm, didnt set bell down. It didnt help me sleep.

David Mathews
07-13-2009, 09:27 AM
Glen,
I have been doing Cl& J and snatches ( 65% - 85% 1RM x 8 -12 reps one rep on the minute) on Mon./ Thurs. and Deadlifts on Tues. and Squats & presses on Fri. I think this is a workout of yours. Does this look good? What would you change or suggest? I do a xfit type workout on Wed. & Sat. Thanks!
David

glennpendlay
07-13-2009, 08:23 PM
David,

That is similar to a workout i put on the net around 2003, and a lot of people have followed it and had success, its meant for beginner or intermediate OLers.

If you want it to be better, lose the deadlifts, and squat twice a week. No need to DL when you are already pulling the OL's two times a week.

Glenn

glennpendlay
07-13-2009, 08:26 PM
did a snatch workout tonight, 4 minutes with a 16kg bell, 20 rpm's, and only one arm switch. Been doing a lot of these short sets, but not recording them. Will try to start recording more.

David Mathews
07-14-2009, 01:52 PM
Glen,
Thanks for the reply. I will drop the deads. Do you have that workout written down, I would love to have the specifics.(Or do you remember it off the top of your head). I appreciate you answering me on your workout log I didn't know how else to ask you.
David

Gant Grimes
07-15-2009, 09:03 AM
Glenn will be taking a break from posting to this log. In one hour, he will be shamed at a pizza buffet by a smaller but more determined man. This will be the eating equivalent of Henderson-Bisping.

It will be important to support him during his absence. Men in such a state can do crazy things such as manufacturing crystal meth, shaving their chest, or doing CF WODs. Hopefully it won't get that bad.

There can be only one!

http://www.spsk12.net/schools/jfkms/images/pizza.jpg

glennpendlay
07-15-2009, 09:15 AM
I almost skipped breakfast for this! How much more determined can you get?

Yesterday I did 80 reps of two arm jerks, then 80 reps each arm in the snatch, with a 16kg KB. Took multiple breaks, didnt push myself hard. The whole thing took 40 minutes.

glennpendlay
07-15-2009, 04:06 PM
ok. I am freaking miserable still. Lost to Gant 33 pieces to his 36... I think we both had a little more in us if we wanted to get to the really miserable about to puke stage, but im glad I stopped when I did. Had a weightlifting meet today, had to load about 1000lbs of bumper plates into my truck in the 108 degree heat, take them to the YMCA, then unload and carry them all in, all this about 1 hour after our pizza event... I am making a promise to myself that if i ever do this again its going to be on a day where I DONT have to do manual labor in the heat and sun an hour afterwards.

Good news is that it was a great little meet, lots of kids make the qualifying total for Junior Olympics, everyone made personal records, etc. Lot of fun except for my aching stomach.

glennpendlay
07-16-2009, 06:16 PM
Easy day, did 2 sets of 20L/29R snatch with 16kg bell, then did 2 sets of 20 on 2 hand jerk with a pair of 16kg bells. Then took kid to the waterpark.

glennpendlay
07-21-2009, 12:51 PM
32KG KB snatch, 4 reps on the minute for 20 min, alternating hands. Not that hard from a wind standpoint, but I need to get used to snatching heavier bells. Hopefully can keep increasing this to the point where I am doing at least 10 snatches a minute for 20 min with this bell.

then, a few hours later, did 10 min of one arm long cycle, with 16kg bell, 10rpm, switch hands on the minute... just to get the heart rate up again.

glennpendlay
07-22-2009, 01:11 PM
did 80 snatches each arm with a 16kg bell, took 7 min 32 sec.

switched from L hand to R hand at reps, 25, 40, 60, 70, and 80.

For some reason, this affected my physically more than any of the KB workouts I have done recently. I havnt really felt bad after a set in quite a while, but after this one I really felt tanked. weird. It also wrecked my hands, and i havnt previously had any hand problems with any sets. Must just b e a bad day.

then several hours later, did 80 reps on two arm jerk with 16kg KB's, finished in exactly 10 minutes, sat the bells down 5 times. Not very hard, shouldnt have set them down as often, thought it would have gotten harder toward the end.

glennpendlay
08-26-2009, 01:09 PM
Been a while since ive posted. Got real busy, then moved from Texas to California, and the packing and moving took a while. So I havnt been training much, but have done the odd KB workout here or there. Im settled in now, so time to get back to it.

9/23/09
2000 meter row, 8:48

9/25/09
2000 meter row, 8:30

Arien Malec
08-26-2009, 01:34 PM
Where in CA? I saw that Donnie Shanke is training not far from where I live...

glennpendlay
08-27-2009, 06:13 PM
I live in Pleasanton, and coach at California Strength in San Ramon.

8/26/09
2000 meter row, 8:19

8/27/09
10 minute one arm long cycle set with 16kg KB, multiple arm switch, 100 total reps
immedietly after, did a 2000 meter row in 9:30. did the first 1000 meters real slow, then did a 1:45 500 meters, then the last 500 meters real slow as a cool down.

Kevin Perry
08-27-2009, 06:18 PM
Wow, so many Californians here. I lived in Tracy for 14 or 15 years, can't remember. Brother lived in Pleasanton for a few years till he moved out here too.

glennpendlay
08-29-2009, 04:28 PM
8/28/09
2000 meter row in 7:55

8/29/09
bench press, 3 sets of 10 at 135lbs. (all my benches are close grip, and theyll never really be heavy because of my torn peck.)

6ea 500m intervals on the rower. 2 min rest in between. first one was 1:40, they slowed down steadily, last one was 2:05. embarrassing.

Derek Weaver
08-29-2009, 06:59 PM
Wait, Glenn. You live in Pleasanton? I live in Pleasanton.

And Kevin used to be in Tracy... small world.

Arien Malec
08-29-2009, 07:35 PM
All of us bay area types ought to join up for some lifting and bbq. (That would make my wife happy :-)

The SF Bay Area is becoming ground zero for oly coaching, it seems.

glennpendlay
08-30-2009, 03:04 PM
you guys ought to come on over to California Strength for a workout.

Arien Malec
08-30-2009, 05:10 PM
Sign me up!

glennpendlay
08-30-2009, 10:06 PM
come on over anytime. im in the gym mon, wed and fri from about 830am to around 245pm, the elite men train at 9am and 1:30pm. tue, thur, and sat we train around 9 or 10am, and im usually gone from the gym by noon or early afternoon.

gym is open from 8am to 8pm mon through sat... max and donny train lower level lifters usually around noon then again from about 4pm to 8pm.

glenn

glennpendlay
08-31-2009, 04:25 PM
One arm long cycle, 10 min with a 20kg KB, 10rpm pace switched hands on the minute...

glennpendlay
08-31-2009, 04:27 PM
By the way, we are having a meet at Cal Strength Sept 27th or 28th, whichever is Sunday... We will be grilling meat out front... should be a fun meet. Since a number of you guys are in the Bay area... spread the word!

glennpendlay
09-01-2009, 05:30 PM
5000 meter row, 26:02

Very slow, just wanted to go a whole 5000 meters. I just might row a 10,000 a few days from now. Probably just as slow!

Tom Rawls
09-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Glenn,

You seem to be favoring the erg these days. Do you have any sort of plan for the rower, or are you just test driving it for a bit?

glennpendlay
09-02-2009, 04:42 PM
Tom,

My goal is just to get better at the competition kettlebell protocols, and to get better at the rower. Right now the rower is just more fun and convienient. But I think the two things complement each other, so switching emphasis back and forth between them shouldnt be any problem.

today did 5000 meters in 22:21. Was not real hard. was sweating a lot but not really out of breath at the end. It really surprised me that I could go almost 4 minutes faster than yesterday and not feel much more fatigue. The really nice thing was that I pretty much kept at 16 strokes per minute the whole time, with the exception of the last 500 meters where I sped up a little and went to about 18 spm.

I really want to break 20 minutes on a 5000 meter row soon. I know thats not world class, but it would make me happy!

Glenn

glennpendlay
09-03-2009, 12:45 PM
2000 meters on C2 in 7:44, 18spm

For some reason, this took a LOT out of me. More than I expected. Much more than my last 5000 meter row. In fact was going to do a 10 min set of KB's afterward but was so smoked i decided not to.

Tom Rawls
09-03-2009, 04:52 PM
Glenn,

Those are low stroke rates for 5k and 2k. If you're working on technique and power, low-rate work is great.

If you're interested in posting some fast times, train some at higher strokes rates. Most guys will row a 2k trial at 30+ strokes per minute. They might do a 5k at 26 spm. You'll break 20 min for 5k in no time, especially if you mix some higher-rate intervals into your training and get acclimated to the increase in rate and pace.

I think you're right that rowing and kbells should complement each other. I row and lift with the barbell, but keep thinking I should switch to the handled bell for more complementary training.

glennpendlay
09-04-2009, 01:08 AM
On the C2 forum... everyone told me that a low stroke rate was the end all and be all... basically... so ive been trying to do that ever since... it is helping me be a better technical rower... and my times keep going down... ill have to experiment...

Derek Simonds
09-04-2009, 11:44 AM
I am really impressed with your low SPM. Seriously. I have tried to slow down my stroke rate and have never had a decent time anywhere under 20 SPM. I will have to play with that.

Tom Rawls
09-04-2009, 03:22 PM
Glenn--

Yes, low-rate for training, especially longer pieces when you're working on technique and building aerobic capacity.

I was talking about strokes per minute for a time trial/race.

You could go to youtube and search Rob Smith rowing. Last time I looked, Rob's 500 meter world record row was posted. He's going about 45 spm for approx 1'15". You can see how short his stroke is--shins are not vertical at the catch--for this sprint. This technique obviously is appropriate only for a short race.

You could also search Graham Benton rowing. I think you can find him doing one of his 2k championship rows. Graham is about 6'5" and does the 2k in about 5'50" at 30 spm.

Good luck.

glennpendlay
09-04-2009, 04:07 PM
Thanks, Derek.

And Tom, ill play around with it. I am such a poor rower that at this point I think I probably should be more worried about form and such than doing everything possible to put together a good time... but I will definately try some faster rates and see how they feel. Maybe try a 1000 or something at a higher rate. Anything that helps me beat Gant's 500 meter time is welcome!

Tom Rawls
09-04-2009, 05:58 PM
Glenn,

You're right to get the technique sorted out first. From time to time, you could try intervals of 1' on/1' off to get acclimated to some higher rates.

No doubt you'll row through Gant before long. As the man in Ben Hur said to the galley slaves, "Ramming speed."

glennpendlay
09-04-2009, 09:11 PM
today (friday the 4th) did

10,000meter row on C2, 48:42 kept about 16spm till last 500 meters, then sped up.

i wasnt originally going to row 10,000 today, but a girl in the gym missed a PR front squat of 107kg, and i said that if she would try again and make it, I would row 10,000 meters. So she did, and I did. What made me happy about this row is that I was pretty comfortable throughout, and the last 500 meters I was able to speed up to a 1:40 pace and hold that till the end without too much discomfort... In fact considerably less discomfort than I would have had in rowing a stand alone 1:40 500 meters 2 weeks ago.

And Tom, I did take your advice... that last 500 meters, instead of just pulling harder and keeping the stroke rate constant... I just sped up the return slide, and it was amazing how easy it was to go from a pace around 2:10 to a 1:40 pace with not near as much extra effort as I would have thought. I just sped the SPM up from 16 to 24, didnt pull any harder, and didnt seem to be expending much extra effort. Thanks for the advice.

I think my 1:29 best time for 500 meters is going to fall soon!

Tom Rawls
09-05-2009, 09:39 AM
Glenn,

Well done on the 10k.

Glad the advice was of some use.

Basically you are building a technically sound, consistent, and powerful stroke with the low-rate training. To go faster, you don't drive harder, you increase the stroke rate. Watt/stroke remains pretty much constant no matter how faster you are going.

You will in no time pull a 7 min 2k at, say, 22 spm and 1.45 pace. And before long I'd wager you could do a 6.40 2k at 24-25 spm and 1.40 pace. Then it will get interesting, because the 2k will start challenging your endurance big time.

Have fun.

glennpendlay
09-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Rowed another 10,000 meters today, in 52:48. Just did a lot of experimentation with stroke rate, pulling harder or softer, experimented with stroke rates of as low as 14spm and as high as 30spm. did a lot of little "sprints" of 200-300 meters at various speeds, then slowed way down, etc. Seemed most comfortable when pulling a 2:00 pace to pull at about 22spm, at a 1:40 pace about 24spm, and held a 1:30 pace for 300 meters near the end pulling 26-27spm.

Plan to take tomorrow off, and I am pretty sure I can pull a personal record for either the 500 meters or the 2k on monday. Just have to decide which one.

And Tom, I would love to pull high 6 minutes in a 2k! Seems a long way off, but I might try a 1:45 pace and just see how far I can hold it... im betting I could hold it for the first 1000 meters anyway.

Tom Rawls
09-05-2009, 06:36 PM
Glenn,

You've got a degree in exercise physiology, don't you?

Re a 2k race, the following is from the book Rowing Faster.

In a rowing race that lasts [2k], the average mechanical power output of elite male athletes is about . . . 475-525 watts on the Concept2, type C ergometer, with a heart rate of about 190 beats per minute; a maximal oxygen uptake of 6000 to 6500 milliliters per minute (VO2 max of 65-70 milliliters per kilogram body weight); postexercise lactate (lactic acid) levels of 16 to 21 millimoles per liter in the arterial blood; and a blood pH between 7.0 and 6.85, the limit of physiologically tolerable acidosis.

Warm up well and have fun!

glennpendlay
09-07-2009, 11:55 PM
monday.... labor day...

did a 2000 meter row in 7:43... a PR, yes, by one second. im a bit disapointed in that. i totally fell out of the pace i thought i could keep, and had to bust ass the last 200 meters to at least preserve a PR time. very disapointing rowing today.

glennpendlay
09-08-2009, 05:55 PM
4 min set of long cycle with 16kg bells, 5rpm pace. Was going to do 10 min, but had a weird feeling in the shoulders, so quit. Not sure what it was and it went away fast.

10,000 meter row, 48:57 again did a lot of interval stuff on this one, a few of the 500 meter segments i rowed under 2:00 pace, a few of them were as slow as 2:45 pace. Was a pretty good row. But I do need to practice going faster. At this point I think I need to row a bunch of 500 or 1000 meter intervals to get comfortable at the kind of pace ill need to keep to do a good 2000 meter row. Get used to hanging out at between 1:40 and 1:50 pace...

Jeff Leonard was in here yesterday and busted out an easy 7 minute flat 2000 meters just to get the blood flowing before he did his heavy snatches and cleans... guy is a monster!

Derek Weaver
09-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Glenn, how long did it take you to get to 10 minute sets with the 16 kg's without setting down the bells?

glennpendlay
09-08-2009, 10:34 PM
if i remember right, i did it my first try. thats on long cycle, with two kettlebells at once, i think thats what you are talking about... i think i did about 50 or 60 reps...

now the 24's or the 32's are a different story... much harder to hold in the rack!

Tom Rawls
09-09-2009, 03:26 AM
You might find this interesting--training for a 2k row.

http://www.concept2.com/forums/wolverine_plan.htm

Derek Weaver
09-09-2009, 09:19 PM
if i remember right, i did it my first try. thats on long cycle, with two kettlebells at once, i think thats what you are talking about... i think i did about 50 or 60 reps...

now the 24's or the 32's are a different story... much harder to hold in the rack!

That's impressive. 5-6 rpm is a good pace to hold, especially on the first try. 24s and 32s are indeed a different story from the 16's. Even a set with the 20's can change perspective in a hurry.

glennpendlay
09-09-2009, 10:40 PM
Tom... i had read that before, and it was interesting... though i couldnt quite see how to put a training program together with the info provided... almost seemed like there should have been another page that wasnt there or something to put it together into a "do this on this day" sort of thing...

today, did 5 minutes of long cycle, two 16kg bels, 6rpm. shoulders still feeling weird in the racked position... so im just babying them.

Then i rowed 6ea 500 meter intervals, at 1:55 pace. 2 minutes rest in between... wasnt that hard. trying to get used to the pace ill need to take the 2k time down a little.

glennpendlay
09-10-2009, 11:44 PM
Derek, i have done long sets with the 20k bells... but have not gone 10 min in long cycle with the 24's i dont think, but it will happen soon, probably as soon as my shoulders lose this funky feeling in the rack. Im concentrating on a 6rpm pace, because i know i can speed up the last two minutes... and 69 is the magic ranking number for me.

As for training today... i did absolutely positively nothing. had a lunch date and ate a lot of fajitas, then made fried rice for supper. between the two i was bloated and feeling like shit all day. eggs for breakfast in case anyone wondered.

Derek Weaver
09-11-2009, 08:23 PM
Nice work with the 20kg's. I feel like a fair amount of GS style work is about guts. Once a base is established it's whether or not one has the stones to gut out a 10 minute set at a greater pace than was previously done.

Are you thinking you'll compete some day in the biathalon or more of a jerk specialist?

glennpendlay
09-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Derek,

I do think I will compete with the kettlebells. I will probably try the long cycle first, but I plan to do all of it. In training, ive done the most snatching, with long cycle a close second, jerks a distant third. Just havnt gotten into doing much jerking yet. I do dig how all this rowing is making me feel WAY better during long cycle... if my shoulders get over their weirdness, which they should, I think I am going to make some major strides forward with the bells as a result of better wind via the rowing.

Today I did a big personal record on 10,000 meters, 46:33. Thats almost 2 full minutes off my old best time. and the last 5000 meters was way way faster than the first 5000 meters... so i think that if i had had more confidence to be able to go faster the first half and hold pace, I could have gone even faster.

On a slightly negative note, I am getting kind of sick of these 10,000 meter rows. I am now remembering why after my last year of cross country in high school I vowed never to run again... the LSD thing is just boring. I think I am gonna concentrate on intervals more for a while... just to keep things fun.

glennpendlay
09-12-2009, 10:09 PM
Did some hiking on Mt. Diablo today, then did some light push presses just to see how they felt on the shoulders, 50k/5, 60/5, 70/5. Felt no pain, and plan to do more on Monday.

glennpendlay
09-14-2009, 06:16 PM
Did nothing yesterday.

Today, did 6ea 500m intervals on the C2, all at 1:52 pace and 1:50 rest in between them. Also did push presses, 50/5, 70/5, 80/5. shoulders felt ok.

glennpendlay
09-15-2009, 04:22 PM
10,000 meter row, 45:25. Another PR, by over a minute. This is still sucky, but less so than it was a couple of weeks ago. Again started real real slow the first 2000 or so meters, then fooled around a lot in the middle... like row 500 meters at 2:00 pace, then next 500 meters at 2:30 pace, then next at 1:55, then slow way way down for a couple hundred and just rest at 2:45 or so, etc.

glennpendlay
09-17-2009, 12:37 AM
1:29 500 meters. i suck so hard. held 350 meters at 1:22, then just absolutely died. i mean, absolutely... like the legs and arms wont work anymore. i really thought that given my recent training, this pace would be possible.

im wondering if i dont warm up enough. i usually dont warm up at all for a 500 meters, just do it fresh. but today i rowed 500 meters really slow, and then rested for maybe 5 minutes, then did my main row. but afterward, i read a bit, and saw that several people recomend rowing a light 2000 meters before a hard 500... maybe i should try that...

but, back to training. more 10,000 rows, more intervals.... and maybe more warmup before my next 500 meter row

Tom Rawls
09-17-2009, 06:01 AM
Glenn,

If you were going to do a max attempt of a snatch, would you just load up the bar and have at it?

Everything i have read and experienced says you want a thorough warm-up before a 500 or 2k.

A typical 2k race warm-up lasts 20ish minutes and toward the end will include several 30-45 second pieces (approx 15-20 strokes each) at race pace or faster. Conclude with some paddling to stop and reverse the build-up of waste products and take 5-10 minutes between warm-up and race.

You need to a similar warm-up for a 500 for optimal performance. you're the physiologist, but my understanding is you want at least two things to occur before your 500 begins:

First, you want to get your heart pumping at its full volume per stroke.
Second, you want your capillaries opened up.

My understanding is that both take some time during warm-up, and the latter is stimulated by some intense strokes.

A final question: when you did your 6 x 500 intervals the other day, was the second interval easier than the first? Many people find it is because they aren't fully warmed up when they do the first one.

By the way, how many strokes per minute did you row for your 500 attempt?

Allen Yeh
09-17-2009, 06:09 AM
1:29 500 meters. i suck so hard. held 350 meters at 1:22, then just absolutely died. i mean, absolutely... like the legs and arms wont work anymore. i really thought that given my recent training, this pace would be possible.

im wondering if i dont warm up enough. i usually dont warm up at all for a 500 meters, just do it fresh. but today i rowed 500 meters really slow, and then rested for maybe 5 minutes, then did my main row. but afterward, i read a bit, and saw that several people recomend rowing a light 2000 meters before a hard 500... maybe i should try that...

but, back to training. more 10,000 rows, more intervals.... and maybe more warmup before my next 500 meter row

When you go for the 500, do you do the whole mini-pulls to start? Or do you just start pulling? When I was rowing on the C2 pretty consistently I found that starting like that was really useful. It was a CF video featuring some C2 guru.

glennpendlay
09-18-2009, 08:44 PM
i havnt trained for two days myself, so nothing to report there. But we had a heavy snatch session today, where 3 of our guys lifted fairly well considering how tired and beat up they are right now. Donny Shankle snatched 165 really well, very crisp and a for sure 3 white light lift, Caleb Ward who is really just now starting to get back into shape after an injury, junior worlds, then another injury made 157 and made it look stupid easy... and Jon North did a 140, which would not be that great usually for him but he did a major change in his snatch technique 3 weeks ago and this is his first really big workout since. He is also a 94 now and has been competing 105... so, considering those things, its good. For those of you in the area, we will be having friday afternoon workouts at 4:30 every week that there isnt a competition, and that will be the workout each week where we really try to hit some big numbers. Anyone is welcome to come and watch.

garrett stack
09-19-2009, 06:18 AM
Glenn as a coach when do you take the decision to change someones technique majorly when they are lifting fairly big numbers ?
or is the technique change necessary due to injury ?

glennpendlay
09-19-2009, 09:17 PM
You do it if the technique they are using is not as effecient as it could be. Jon had snatched 146kilos as a 94 previously, but it is obvious to me he could do better with a better pull. It has taken us 3 weeks to make the change and get back to 140... and now I expect him to sail past 150 fairly quickly... i hope anyway... sometimes the best laid plans... and all that, you know?

And... I rowed a slow 10,000 today, like 57:21... very easy, was holding a conversation throughout most of it, about the intensity of an enjoyable walk ... just wanted to get some time on the rower.

garrett stack
09-20-2009, 06:40 AM
Thanks Glenn

glennpendlay
09-21-2009, 07:53 PM
Saturday I did 145lbs on bench press for 3 sets of 5 and forgot to post it.

Today I did an hour row, went 12,366 meters in the hour, was very slow and comfy. But its the first time i have went for more than an 10,000 meters.

And, to those of you who comment on my son's blog, thank you. He doesnt always respond back directly to you because he is 8, but it really makes his day when you guys post or tell him good job. And, he wants to do more training so he will have more to post... which is nice.

glennpendlay
09-23-2009, 09:07 PM
Today did 6ea 500 meter intervals on the C2. With a 2 minute rest between, i did the first 3 at a 1:50 pace, and the last 3 at a 1:48 pace.

I was pretty happy with this workout, not because it is really that good, but because it is something I definately could not have done a couple of weeks ago. In fact, judging from difficulty, I think I am going to aim for a 1:45 pace next time I do these.

I also experimented with a little more warmup... a slow and easy 1000 meters... but twice in the 1000 meters i pushed the pace to 2:00, held it a couple of strokes, then backed off. Took about a 5 minute break between this and starting my workout. I felt good with this. At this stage, i think this is about the right warmup for intervals or a 500 max effort. Im sure when i am more fit, a longer warmup will be more appropriate.

This workout today definately showed me that I am making progress.

glennpendlay
09-25-2009, 04:29 PM
today did a 5000 meter row in 21:58. Big PR time and it wasnt hard at all. I can hit this in 20 minutes soon.

now 3 hours later let me expand on this a little. i started out with the erg set on the "just row" setting... because i was rowing before practice and wasnt sure how long i would be able to go before i had to coach. I was hoping for an hour... but, people started showing up and for a minute or two i was thinking I could get in 10k... then reality hit so i sped up and did a 5k.

so i rowed the first part of that really slow... like 2:20 to 2:30 pace... then sped way up the last half... ended up with an average 500m split of around 2:11. So, even though I know this was a PR by 23 seconds, I am pretty sure I could go a lot faster by knowing that i was going to row a 5k from the start. The great thing was that I was cruising along at about 1:50 pace the last part of the row, around 20spm or so... and i was thinking, this is hard, but im not getting really smoked. so im pretty happy.

So a 20 minute flat 5k is probably not quite possible yet, but i know its closer than it would appear from my times. I am so looking forward to hitting that.

glennpendlay
09-28-2009, 09:10 PM
today, rowed 30 minutes, did 6500 meters, or about a 2:18 average pace. I was gonna do an hour, but just wasnt feeling it. We had a competition yesterday... and i was on my feet all day... then tipped back a couple last night after the meet... so i was feeling pretty hammered all day. so, I called a day at 30 minutes, at least I did something.

glennpendlay
10-03-2009, 01:10 PM
had a few days off because of a banged up shoulder.

rowed for 30 minutes, 6655 meters covered, 2:15 pace

Deadlift 120/5, 150/3

glennpendlay
10-05-2009, 01:04 PM
Today, 2000m row in 7:35.3

8 second improvement from a couple of weeks ago. I am happy with that. Cant wait to break 7:00 though.

glennpendlay
10-08-2009, 12:23 AM
this morning, uh, wednesday morning, i think its after midnight...

deadlift 120kg for 5, then 160kg for 3
just getting ramped up for these. last time i deadlifted seriously, i spent 6 workouts working up to a set of 500 for 20 reps, and pulled my hamstring something fierce on rep 16 or 17. So im gonna take it slow, let the body adapt to lifting something fairly heavy again.

row, 30 minute row, 6522 meters. But i rowed much harder than this suggests. did 10-15 minutes pretty slow, then for 15-20 min did interval type training, pullin 500 meters fast, then 500 meters slow. got a 1:45 pace on several of the fast ones, went back to 2:20 or 2:30 on the slow ones. pulled a 1:35 the last 500 meters, roughly.

I was freaking dead after this, really, really dead. I mean used up, done, couldnt get off the rower, dead.

glennpendlay
10-12-2009, 08:04 PM
pulled a sled with 50kg on it for 3 trips up and down the gym.

rowed for one hour, 12,555 meters had to take a 4-5 minute phone call in the middle of it, and row slow with one hand, or I might have done better. Pretty damn tired at the end of that one.

glennpendlay
10-19-2009, 08:10 PM
unplanned week off, messed up my shoulder a little, and its kept me off the rower. its getting better fast though.

today, 3 sled dragging trips with upper body.

glennpendlay
10-20-2009, 11:57 PM
5 trips with the sled dragging with upper body.

glennpendlay
10-21-2009, 06:54 PM
put on a 60lb weighted best, and went for a long walk. thought it was hard. Then Donny Shankle told me about how in the Marines he walked 125 miles over 5 days with a total of around 100lbs or equipment. Damn.

Daniel Mays
10-22-2009, 10:24 PM
I'm glad the weight loss seems to be going well! I also like how as you lose more weight you get to be "stricter" with the weight lifters.

Danny

glennpendlay
10-23-2009, 01:02 AM
that, is a myth. thought up by them, to explain why they hurt. when in reality, they hurt because they are weightlifters, and weightlifting hurts.

glennpendlay
10-26-2009, 09:07 PM
shoulder felt good enough for KB cleans, jerks or snatches are still a no go

2 hand kb clean with 16kg bells, 50 reps in 5 minutes
then lots of odd upper body exercises with bands, just trying to get some work in without irritating what seems to be a slowly healing shoulder.

Daniel Mays
10-26-2009, 10:37 PM
Mr. Pendlay,

This is how I imagine you feel when you wake up in the morning AND when people say you losing weight will make you feeble under the bar. There is probably some minor "hooplah." Nice job on the rowing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVeAf8xp_0Y

Danny Mays

glennpendlay
10-27-2009, 08:22 PM
Thanks Danny.

Just did some sled dragging today.

On the plus side, we are starting a weightlifting program at a local community youth center, and found out that they had a pretty great kids boxing program, as well as you kids wrestling program. So William wanted to do them, so I enrolled him. Now maybe hell have someone else to hit besides me.

I also posted two videos on Williams log. He doubled 20k on the snatch, and singled a PR of 22kg. Hes a little shaky right now on the pull (yanking off the floor, bending the arms) on his max weights, but damn nice bottom position, and he duck walks several steps forward on one of the attempts to save it... I was pretty impressed! He loves getting comments on his blog, so if you have a mind to watch the videos and comment, that would be great. And Gant, that means you especially. William specifically mentioned that he wanted me to make sure you saw his videos.

Daniel Mays
10-30-2009, 09:19 AM
Could you ask William to leave feedback in my log? The only feedback about my athletic endeavors is from younger cousins who think I'm amazing or old people who have no idea. William seems like he could give me some actual constructive criticism at this point.

Your also welcome to leave feedback. I'm one of those polar feedback type guys, it's either amazing, or lame : )

Danny Mays

Alex Bond
11-02-2009, 02:56 PM
Glenn, I thought you might get a kick out of this. I had a dream the other night, most of the details of which I can't remember, but I do clearly recall that in my dream, I owned one of your NexGen Bearing Barbells. Maybe I had been thinking about barbells too much that day, but it sounds like a omen for when I get my garage gym going! It's an odd story I thought I should share.

glennpendlay
11-02-2009, 09:35 PM
Alex,

Im just glad your dreaming about my barbells, and not me.

glenn