PDA

View Full Version : Boot Leg Canyon

Frank Needham
04-25-2009, 08:06 PM
http://www.bootlegcanyon.org/

After living here for years and never getting around to it, I finally checked this place out. Wow, I'm pumped and ready to take my specialized out on a run. The only bikes I observed being ridden had shocks and gears so my bike would be an anomaly. I observed many riders about and talked with a couple about their gear. Due to the razor sharp volcanic rock through which many of the trails are cut most riders wear full mx gear - full helmets, chest & back protectors, shin guards, elbow guards, leather gloves, etc, etc....even steel toe high tops. Makes a lot of sense really. One spill without gear at any kind of speed in this terrain and you'd be on the way to be stitched up for sure. Now I gotta find a discount place to get some gear. This one awesome place to ride and it is only 25 minutes from our place. There is also a huge slip-line for those who're interested. Facilities aren't bad either. There are showers and potable water bibs available.

Frank Needham
04-26-2009, 04:52 PM
Some pics of Bootleg, in the 3rd pic note the jumps left of the trail they are huge...

Gant Grimes
04-28-2009, 07:22 AM
Good stuff, Frank. So you're going to SS the thing?

Frank Needham
04-28-2009, 11:13 AM
I've ridden motor scooters quite a bit in the past but not any serious mtn biking so my attitude to begin with will be to start off gingerly. I want to have fun, not wind up in intensive care. So, no, I won't be starting off with SS on this stuff. The pics don't quite capture the scope & nature of the terrain, there is some hairy stuff.