PDA

View Full Version : The Afterburn Experience

Ron Nelson
01-23-2007, 10:03 AM
After almost a year of putting it off, I finally decided to give the Afterburn program by Alwyn Cosgrove a go. When I first purchased the program, I felt the usual "buyer's remorse." You know, the "how could I spend almost $50 for an e-book that tells me much of what I already knew." So, it sat on my computer for 10 months waiting to be read. . .again, and used.

I finally read it again after finding out Dan John was using it to further his weight loss goal after his Velocity Diet experiment. Since I wasn't going to be going 28 days on shakes for a while (the wife just wouldn't understand and I may not be ready for that type of commitment), I decided to take another look at Afterburn. Other factors that prompted me to do this were the way my pants were fitting (or not fitting), newly gained strength, a growing gut, and my recent car accident that limited the amount of overhead work I could do.

So, I started last Thursday (1-18-07) with day one. The workout calls for 2-3 sets of 20 reps of various exercises (I'm a little wary of going into great detail as AC does charge $50 for the book and copyright infringement seems to be such a hot button issue around these parts). Day one is squat-push up day. Sets are performed in super sets with little or no rest between. Dan once said that you'll scoff at the workouts until your lungs jump put of your chest and attach themselves to an oxygen tank. He wasn't exaggerating. Doing high rep squats followed by a push up variation is daunting, especially if your ego tells you to put some decent weight on the bar. By set 2, I had lowered the squat weight to 95# and felt like crying. . .like Nancy Kerrigan. The rest of the workout is supersets of step ups (I think AC channeled that Waterbury guy with the high frequency training stuff) and rows, then crunches and something called SHELC. Both of the last moves are done on a Swiss ball. Don't laugh, I had a hell of a time keeping the frickin' ball in one place.

Day one left me sore, sweaty, and exhausted, and that was before the "cardio" which is really HIIT done for a few rounds. Couldn't wait for day two.

More on that later.

Ron Nelson
01-23-2007, 01:00 PM
One thing to be mentioned at the start: I did not follow all of the directions laid out by AC to begin Afterburn. First, I took no pictures. I might do that before the second week kicks in. Next, I didn't weigh in before I started. I weighed in last night on a horribly uncalibrated gym scale. According to the scale and after adjusting for its crappiness, I weigh 225. That's about 10 pounds over my normal "fighting" weight. The goal is 205 or lower. Finally, no body fat measurements. This would entail talking to someone at the gym and listening politely to his/her advice. I have no time for that, so BF guesstimate is 19%. It might be higher.

I'm looking to shed the fat in eight weeks; reevaluate then go from there. If the progress is good, but could do better, I'll ramp up the next eight weeks. If progress is great, I might switch back to the New Rules and start Strength II.

Day 2: Deadlifts and presses. Again, 2 sets of 20. I went with 135# for the DL and felt reasonably good. I'll up the weight by 10# tomorrow. Seated DB shoulder press 25#. Felt right, especially since the accident screwed up my screwed up shoulders. The rest of the workout consisted of sets of split-squats and pullovers, then more goddamn Swiss ball work. I hate split-squats, but love what single leg work does for my stength and GPP. As for the Swiss ball work, who knew it could be humbling?

Diet has to shift as well. I've been eyeballing my diet for too long. I need to go back to what works. A fanatical devotion to the Pope, er, Atkins (sorry, the Spanish Inquisition reference was irresistible). If I go all protein, all the time with very clean carbs (oatmeal, veggies, no corn, rice, tortillas) I can lose weight (fat) very fast. I'm doing it.

Steve Shafley
01-23-2007, 01:30 PM
Yeah, I was crying after the first two days. Alwyn had a good chuckle at my expense and told me "You should know that you can't judge a workout just by looking at it, and not doing it."

Those SHELCs: Made my hamstrings cramp up for the first set.

The other swiss ball shit, those one legged glute bridges, I managed only a few reps after I was cooked from the rest of the workout.

Ron Nelson
01-23-2007, 02:38 PM
Yeah, I was crying after the first two days. Alwyn had a good chuckle at my expense and told me "You should know that you can't judge a workout just by looking at it, and not doing it."

Those SHELCs: Made my hamstrings cramp up for the first set.

The other swiss ball shit, those one legged glute bridges, I managed only a few reps after I was cooked from the rest of the workout.

I was so pissed off after the DL workout because I could not manage more than 10 of those jackknife moves. Glad I'm not alone on this.

Ron Nelson
01-23-2007, 08:40 PM
Was going to do my cardio, GPP, metcon, HIIT, whatever you want to call it today, but ran around getting my soccer, basketball, and tennis teams off to tournament games today. That and my son may have given me a cold, which I'm in denial about, and I decided to take the day off.

Double duty in the gym tomorrow after my ART appointment.

Ron Nelson
01-25-2007, 12:12 PM
Looks like the cold has taken a hike.

Last night, went for the DL/DB press; Bulgarian split-squat/DB pull over; Prone hip extention/jackknife workout.

Upped the DL's to 145 for 20/ 2 sets with DB press at 25#. Sets of 20 are definitely harder than they seem. Grip became a factor during the second DL set. Shoulders felt good through set one; set two, my left seemed to weaken first.

As for the split-squats and pull overs, I can safely say my left side is the stronger for split-squats, but sucked at pull overs. I actually worked to failure on the pull overs using 20# DB's. That was a first.

The hip extentions gave me fits last time. I was only able to do 10 per side before crying like a schoolgirl whose Justin Timberlake CD got scratched. I worked up to 15 per side last night. Improvement! (and I got a new JT CD) The jackknives suck.

The plan is to do one more of each workout using 2 sets, maybe upping the weight, then going for the 3 sets of 20 for the next three rounds. I'm not looking forward to it.

Ron Nelson
01-29-2007, 08:26 AM
Friday was squat/T-push ups, step ups/seated row, crunches/SHEL-C.

Workout was cut short due to car issues stemming from our accident (had to go turn in our loaner and get a new rental until the car is repaired). Left the gym right after the rows were finished.

Warm up was hang power snatches. Worked up to 5x95. Felt and looked good. I've been practicing these in warm ups and it has paid off. Going to try and up the weight soon.

I was determined to wait until the half way point before going for the third round of each workout. Turns out I have no patience. I went for the third round of squats and push ups this time. That hurt. My back is still aching from the third set of 20 squats using only 95lbs. Yikes.

Step ups and rows were only 2 rounds as I was cut short by the calling of my wife beckoning me to return. No cardio.

After 2 weeks, down 5 pounds. Probably gained it back after a birthday celebration with the in-laws. Went to a Basque restaurant where they serve you food until you explode. The soup was irresistible.

Ron Nelson
01-30-2007, 10:48 AM
Last night was deadlift night. Decided to take it up to three rounds of 20 on the DL and shoulder press. I kept the weights the same on the press and lowered the DL to 135#. I kept the rest period to one minute between sets.
Results: my shirt looked like I went swimming. My heart rate stayed up around 140-150 while lifting and 120 at rest. I also went 3 rounds with the Bulgarian split squats and pull-overs. I reduced the pull over weight to 17.5 in each hand, while the split squats were weighted (10#) for the first two rounds. I felt frisky and did the third round unweighted, but barefoot.

That's how you make friends in a commercial gym.

Skipped the hip extentions and jackknives to get home and watch Heroes.

I'll do them today with the cardio. Ugh, cardio.

Ron Nelson
02-01-2007, 05:02 PM
Last night was round 4 of the squat workout. As planned, I added the third round to keep the progression moving. This time, I added round three to everything: squats, T-push ups, step ups, rows to the neck, and the Swiss ball crap.

Results: I felt like this is the workout that kicked my arse. I was close to worthless after three rounds of 20 squats with 95# on the bar. It really has me wondering if I'm losing strength as I struggled through the second and third sets. The push ups were OK; the step ups seemed fine; the rows sucked. It's the squats that killed me. That and the freaking Swiss ball moves. I finished with some rack pulls. Worked up to 305# for 3. I'm going to add in some partials like this at the end of each workout just to get some strength training in.

Tomorrow is deadlift day and weigh in day.

Dave Van Skike
02-02-2007, 10:41 AM
Solid work Ron. Sounds like it's working well for you.

Are you tracking kcal.s or just focusing on clean protein?

My reason for asking is this. I love couplets and complexes like this but I find they make me ravenously hungry. If I don't eat, I start to fade after a week or so and requisite intensity drops. If I do eat I tend to grow, weedlike. If the overall gaol is smaller, (it is in my case) this could be challenging. Interested to hear what your experience has been vis a vis hunger response.

Ron Nelson
02-04-2007, 01:03 PM
I've focused on clean proteins, and when I can't get clean, just protein. The workouts will make you hungry, but I've found I can tolerate some high GI carbs and protein right after the workout, especially on DL day (like today).
On off days, my hunger is pretty normal and controllable as long as I can up the protein.

Speaking of DL day, I upped everything on this day to three rounds. I took the weight down for the military press and pull overs, but kept it the same for the DL, which was a mistake. I f^%ked up my back 8 reps into set 3 with 135#. I was determined to finish, and did with just the bar. The split squats were a bitch during the third round. Pull overs were painful due to the lower back killing me. Partial squats were out. I tried one with 135# and almost passed out from the pain. The guy in the next rack though I was a puss, so I held my back and grunted to save my ego.

I spent 15 minutes in a 180 degree sauna to recover. It was swell.

Weigh in showed I was down another 3 pounds. Now at 222 almost 221.

Thanks for the kind words, Dave. Good luck on the journey. Let me know if you have any questions.

Ron Nelson
02-06-2007, 02:35 PM
After f&^king up my back on Sunday doing my third set of deadlifts, this was my first attempt at a workout with any weight. I upped the weight on the squat to 115 then 125 as I was cutting the sets to two from three.

See, I've learned something, and maybe you'll benefit from this; when the body suffers fatigue, form goes to hell. When form goes to hell, injuries occur. Brilliant, huh? My third set of 20 reps of DL's using 135# was stupid. Ego made me go for the third set. On the eighth rep (or so) the back spasmed and sent me reeling. Only with heat, hip stretching, and mobility practice was I able to recover (pretty quickly I might add) and squat today.

I love squat day because there are no Bulgarian split squats to be seen. Just friendly step-ups with 10lb in each hand for two rounds. The rows were annoying. Unfortunately, I was interrupted by a phone call from the OC district attorney's office in the middle of the Swiss ball stuff. Seriously, they called me regarding an investigation and seriously, I was actually doing pretty well with the SHEL-C move.

On to coach cross country.

Mike ODonnell
02-06-2007, 05:34 PM
On to coach cross country.

(Ron sitting in a lounge chair with beer and megaphone)....."RUN"......"Run some more"......"Keep running"....."Go to my House and get me another Beer".....

Tough job!

Ron Nelson
02-06-2007, 06:03 PM
You say you're in Georgia, yet you can see what is happening in Anaheim.

Frightening.

The kids have to get faster. My beer keeps getting warm by the time they get back.

Mike ODonnell
02-06-2007, 07:21 PM
You say you're in Georgia, yet you can see what is happening in Anaheim.

Nope...just remember seeing you at my last coaching seminar.......I apply the same strategies....it's the nacho order my kids keep screwing up....

Ron Nelson
02-12-2007, 05:59 PM
So, it's been a while; let's catch up.

Friday was a metcon day (read: cardio). Did 20 min on the elliptical at level 11 (but these go to 11) using the AC suggested 2 min easy/1 min hard method. My hammies and glutes were frying.
After, I went up to the weight area and did some fun lifts. Waiter's walk with 80lbs, farmer's walks with 100lbs, db snatches done KB style with 45lb, 2 sets of 10 each arm. Then went and did some rotation work on the cable cross thingy. Also did some cable punches.

Saturday was drinking too much and eating too much day. So much for progress.

Yesterday was the last squat day of the first phase. I cut back to two sets but upped the weight to 115 and 125 for the sets (up from 95 for three sets). The push ups felt good as the lower back seems to have let go of its spasm. The step ups were done for two sets with 20lbs of additional weight. Rows were 75 and 85lbs. I actually got through the entire Swiss ball madness without problems for once.

Today I was planning to do more cardio, but had to forgo due to an ear infection (my daughter's not mine) and touring central Orange County to run errands. I did notice a big metabolic shift today. I'm not sure if it's something I ate or the fact that I did 2 sets of 20 squats with more weight than I'm used to, but the body seems to be "shedding" some unneeded "waste material" at an alarming rate. I'll have to weigh in tomorrow and update the results.

Tomorrow is the last DL day of phase 1.

Ron Nelson
02-13-2007, 04:48 PM
OK, did the last 20 rep DL day today. I used my fake trap bar set up and went for with the weight. Upped it to 160 then 170, and for fun added a third set at 210. The third set was for as many reps as I could handle. I got 10 before grip and hams said, "enough."
I followed this scheme with the rest of the lifts and was pleasently surprised. Got a third set of 20 using 30lbs for the seated military press; got a third set of split squats (barefooted to the pleasure of those around me) with 25lbs for 10 reps per leg; got a third set of 13 pull overs with 22.5 in each hand. I decided to do this after talking with Dan John about his experiences with Afterburn. He told me that he likes to tinker with chains and bands and such, so I took that and put my spin on it

I think I owe him money now.

Finally, when I left the gym on a DL day, I felt as if I left it all in the gym and I wasn't hurt. A plus all around.

On Thursday, I'll start phase II of the program.

Ron Nelson
02-15-2007, 03:55 PM
Phase II started today, but let me say this first:

Fu%#ing commercial gym people piss me off to no end. Cardio addicted asshats who barge in on my workout only to drip their sweat on my bench.
I hope they get facial jock itch.

There, I feel better.

Now, the workout was different and perhaps a little easier than phase I. The set/rep scheme is 3x12 with 3 movement supersets. Because there is no rest between sets, the heart rate stays up and the fatigue comes on a little faster. Because I have a pretty good background in CF, I think I can handle these sets a little better than the 20 rep sets from phase I. Probably explains the cockiness on my part.

Interesting thing from this workout was losing (by the way all of you, that's how you spell "losing," one "o"; not "loosing" which would mean not tight(ing). . .sorry to be a prick, but as an English teacher, it's like saying, "like" every other word. . .it gets on my nerves)(OK, I'm not sorry I'm a prick) . . .where the hell was I? Oh yeah, losing grip strength on the RDL's. RDL's come as movement #3 in the first superset. By the time you're pulling 12 RDL's at a modest (nay, light) 135, your grip is shot. Set three sucked the worst of all.

Superset 2 wasn't bad, but I suck at any benching, so incline bench presses will be my worst. I'm focusing on form and getting the full ROM as outlined in Afterburn. Step ups were part of this set and were done with a 25# plate.

New movement was the co-contracting lunge. They suck, but not as bad as Bulgarian split squats.

Cosgrove is still a grade "A" sadist.

Ron Nelson
02-20-2007, 02:16 PM
Phase II is a bitch.

Today featured a triplet of jumping squats, push presses, and good mornings.
Three rounds of 12 each.

Sucks.

I'm having trouble typing because my arms are still shaking. Looks like we've tapped into the CNS for some heavy adaption.

Second triplet was easier, but that's probably because it featured pull downs which I find to be too easy, so I upped the weight each round. Static lunges are cool if you challenge yourself. UB Russian twists weren't bad at all.

I'm at the same weight since last week (btwn 225 and 227, depending on whether or not I ate). Really want to get below 220 in the next 2 weeks so I can start the big push in Phase III. Of course, that means more cardio,

Allen Yeh
02-21-2007, 03:06 AM
Are you doing AC's energy system development stuff for the cardio portion?

Ron Nelson
02-21-2007, 04:45 PM
Supposedly. My schedule has been so screwed lately that I can rarely get to the gym let alone get in my cardio. Yeah, he calls it "energy systems work," but just because you call a dog's ass a work of art, doesn't make it beautiful.
In other words, I really don't like the "energy systems work." That said, my fat ass needs to do more.

Way more.

Really, Phase II is such a killer that I really can't see anyone having the energy to do 20-25 min. of "ESW" doing 2 min. easy/1 min. full bore. If I have the time to get in the gym, I usually do the cardio then fool around in the weight room with swings, walks (farmer's, waiter's), DB snatches, partials, anything to throw weight around and cause the gym patrons to panic.

Allen Yeh
02-22-2007, 05:17 AM
Ron,

That's how I feel right now with TNRoL by the time I finish the workout I'm beat and everytime I try to give the energy system stuff a go right after it's impossible because I have no energy to give to this.

Steve Shafley
02-22-2007, 05:29 AM
Heh.

Not saying that it gets any easier, but in AB II it looks like this sometimes:

complexes/weights/finisher/interval cardio

Brutal due to the fact that you are completely whipped.

I did a complex/AB 1 workout/finisher and it completely messed me up.

Ron Nelson
02-26-2007, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys. Yeah, today I did the jumping squat triplet and decided to push the weight up to 85#. Again, sounds like nothing, but during the third set of 12 of a triplet, I'm sucking wind like a Hoover. I actually got a side stitch today during the workout.
I guess GPP is being covered.

Steve,
If you see this again, did you find you kept the weights relatively light in order to avoid breaks in the sets. or are you just way stronger than me?

Silly question as I've seen your Vblog and know you're way stronger than me.

Ron Nelson
03-02-2007, 11:02 AM
Trying something different today. Normally, I'd be back on the jumping squat day, but I've decided to try the two-day workout posted by Tony Gentilcore.
This looks like something I've been looking for; a mix of strength one day and metcon the next, rather than almost pure metcon.

We'll see.

Allen Yeh
03-06-2007, 05:32 AM
What did you think of Tony's split?

I'm supposed to be going on to Strength III next week but I'm iffy because my shoulders aren't feeling great from the heavy overhead pressing. Right now I'm looking around as to what I might want to get into next. The only real goal at the moment I need work on my 2 mile run by April 14 for a PT test.

Ron Nelson
03-08-2007, 11:26 AM
In a word, the splits are taxing. I really like this way of doing things and it makes perfect sense. Strength one day, metcon the next.
I did the metcon on Tuesday using the DL's, pull ups, DB military press, and walking lunges (with 35# and then 25#). I quickly found out that my starting weight for the DL had to drop in order to maintain form and pace. In all, the first part took exactly 18 minutes with rest. The rotator cuff and core work was fun.

Next week I'll reverse the order and do DL's for strength and squats for metcon. Should be fun. I'm liking the flexibility of this template.

Dave Van Skike
03-08-2007, 07:22 PM
What is your appetite like on this sort of a protocol? Are you able to keep overall calories in check?

kevin mckay
03-08-2007, 07:47 PM
"asshats" haha I like that. I really enjoy insulting people with term they most likely have not heard before. I will put it on the top of my list with "tool shed" and shopping cart.

Sorry for the hijack

Ron Nelson
03-15-2007, 11:26 AM
I first saw "asshats" used by Matt Gagliardi. You are welcome to it and welcome to hijack anytime.

I just switched the routine in the "2 day a week" W/O. In other words, I'm doing DL's heavy and squats for reps. I tend to mix the other stuff up according to need/weakness. I'm still quite pleased with how this is going. It doesn't seem to put me in "ravenous" mode quite like AB1, but I still get hungry. I usually eat something before the W/O like cottage cheese or some fruit so I'm not totally starving afterward. Also, I've started restricting kcals as a means of losing fat/weight. It seems to be working. I hope I don't quit doing it.

Cutting down on the beer seems to help as well. Trying a "drink better, not more" approach.

Side note: I finally got the wife to buy butter instead of margarine. I showed her the fat/calorie breakdown and the list of ingredients. The selling point was margarine was oil. Butter had three ingredients; milk, cream, salt.

Scorecard after 16 years of marriage: Ron-1; wife 1,000,000

Ain't gonna be no shutout.

Allen Yeh
03-16-2007, 06:11 AM
Side note: I finally got the wife to buy butter instead of margarine. I showed her the fat/calorie breakdown and the list of ingredients. The selling point was margarine was oil. Butter had three ingredients; milk, cream, salt.

Scorecard after 16 years of marriage: Ron-1; wife 1,000,000

Ain't gonna be no shutout.

We switched to butter a few months ago too, I went the "50 ingredients versus 3" route and she was shocked about the number of ingredients.

The New Rules of Lifting is pretty light on the nutritional side but I like what Lou Schuler said about clean eating.

"If you can't visualize it roaming, growing, or being extracted from something that is roaming or growing, you probably shouldn't eat it....You can make a game out of it: Three Degrees of Clean Eating. If you need more than three visual images to get the food in its natural state, then it's probably not worth eating."

Luckily that works perfectly for beer and wine!

1. Grow barley/grapes
2. Ferment
3. bottle and drink!

Ron Nelson
03-21-2007, 09:31 AM
Alan, I like the way you think. . .and drink.

Last night did the metcon workout according to T. Gentilcore. Used 135# squats, pull ups, 40# db military presses, and 40# static lunges.
Got 4 rounds of 10 each done in 19 min with rests. Not bad for upping the poundage.

What I hate, and I know I'm not alone on this, is the "cardio." For the metcons, you're supposed to do 15-20 min of easy cardio. I use the elliptical. I also get bored shitless after 10 minutes. This is funny because about 4 years ago, I would go for 30 min at level 15, burn 600 calories (according to the machine), and then lift for about 10 minutes before leaving. I couldn't figure out why I was stuck at 240 for the longest time.

Now, I can't stand being on any cardio machine for more than 10 minutes (unless I'm doing HIIT, then time flies) and have to tear myself away from the weight room to get done.

Guess I've grown up a bit and still maintain a svelte 220lb frame.

Mike ODonnell
03-21-2007, 10:07 AM
Now, I can't stand being on any cardio machine for more than 10 minutes (unless I'm doing HIIT, then time flies) and have to tear myself away from the weight room to get done.

Cardio for lengthly times sucks on any machine....I do none in the gym....all outside either running or biking....plus I like intervals too....less muscle wasting...more intensity.......cardio tennis is always an option....

Ron Nelson
03-21-2007, 01:05 PM
I ran out of time before I finished that thought, which was exactly what you said. I get a bigger kick out of running HIIT on a track or doing bike sprints on my vintage trail bike. My neighborhood has a loop around it that measures exactly .5 miles, so doing several laps on the bike in intervals gets me some decent mileage.

So, yes, outdoors trumps boring indoor cardio every time. I also like to get my cardio playing basketball and soccer games.

Ron Nelson
03-28-2007, 02:10 PM
Metcon day. Really got a good one in. Mixed it up with front squats, chest supported rows, push presses, and one leg RDL's. I call it the "bang for your buck" metcon session.

After reading the T-Bag article by Chris Shooogert, I decided to mix in a high GI/amino/protein drink as a pre-during-post WO drink. In other words, I drank half of a pint of chocolate milk after warming up, sipped the rest during the WO and was supposed to drink the other pint after the WO. I decided to forgo the second pint this time until I move up the WO's to 3-4 times a week. Probably summer.

One thing I noticed right away was the fact that I'm not ravenously hungry after a WO. I also noticed more energy during the workout and shorter rest periods. This could be good for me even though I tolerate carbs like a sorority girl tolerates booze.

More to come.

Ron Nelson
04-03-2007, 02:30 PM
Did the metcon work last night using deadlifts, fat man pull ups, db military presses and a plate loaded walking lunge. Upped the weights and totally killed.

Still using the chocolate milk before and during the w/o. Not sure if it's working the way Biotest's product would and probably won't know because I'm a cheap bastard who'd rather spend his money on gambling and booze. I will say this, I'm the coolest cat in the gym walking around with a bottle of Nesquick. All those other suckers toting their Muscle Milk are fools. I laugh at them, heartily.

To be continued. . .

By the way, if anyone wants to send me a tub of the notmentioned Biotest product, I'll gladly try it and post results.

Derek Simonds
04-03-2007, 03:04 PM
Every night after BJJ I drink a 16 oz nesquik. I get really crazy and go with the lo fat version.

I have read several studies that have compared chocolate milk to commercial recovery drinks and chocolate milk wins.

The best thing for me is that no matter what city I am in there is always a convienence store that sells chocolate milk.

Eva Claire Synkowski
04-03-2007, 06:22 PM
I have read several studies that have compared chocolate milk to commercial recovery drinks and chocolate milk wins.

saw this the other day on the xf oakland site (although study from 06)- chocolate milk won again....although study "partially funded" by the dairy industry.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/24/health/webmd/main1342839.shtml

Ron Nelson
04-03-2007, 11:00 PM
It's funny. I've read the articles on T-Mag about their products and how they aid recovery and always thought of trying them. Then, on CF, I find out that chocolate milk does the same thing, only cheaper.
Biotest product-$3.74 per lifting day.
Chocolate milk-$2.38 per lifting day (if I buy it pre bottled, about 1/3 of that if I make it at home).

Plus, I like chocolate milk. Always have.

I'll continue to post my results and impressions (I do a great Homer Simpson).

Mike ODonnell
04-04-2007, 06:28 AM
Then, on CF, I find out that chocolate milk does the same thing, only cheaper.

You can thank me later....now trying to get research to prove Beer is better...although those studies aren't going as planned....as we forget all about the workout, eat wings and then wake up on the floor...Hmmmmmm....might be the wings....

Ron Nelson
04-06-2007, 10:46 AM
You can thank me later....now trying to get research to prove Beer is better...although those studies aren't going as planned....as we forget all about the workout, eat wings and then wake up on the floor...Hmmmmmm....might be the wings....

My PWO drinks on Fridays and Saturdays are usually beer and beer.
That's why I wait until about 10 a.m. to get to the gym, if at all, on the weekends.

Ron Nelson
04-11-2007, 04:53 PM
Tried the metcon work in a fasted state today. Not bad.
Upped the poundage and did 225# pulls from the rack, a 45# one handed press using a bar with one end on the floor (see the latest CT article on T-mag, aka No Comments Please-Mag), 65# one arm rows, unsupported, and 25# plate-loaded lunges for 10 steps each leg.
First round was easy; second round started to slow; third round hurt; fourth round lungs wanted to escape through my throat. This is the second time I felt a little "queasy" at the end of the metcon. I liked the fact that I was using more weight and yet varying the movements. I still consider this progress and avoiding boredom at the same time.

Wish I could say the same for the cardio. I still hate that shit.

Ron Nelson
04-12-2007, 04:53 PM
Going heavy while fasted will take a little work. Worked up to 5 reps at 225# in the squat and was able to go to 120# for a narrow grip bent over row (5x5).

Did push presses for vertical push and split squats with 20#dbs for the single leg. Broke down and did my HIIT afterward.

Highlight of the day was squatting to disco's greatest hits.

"I ain't gonna bump no more with no big fat woman."

Mike ODonnell
04-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Highlight of the day was squatting to disco's greatest hits.

"I ain't gonna bump no more with no big fat woman."

Do you workout in the back of a record store??

Ron Nelson
04-16-2007, 07:18 PM
No, 24 hr Fitness with very bad taste. On the other hand, I totally busted a move during Thriller.

Today did metcon in a fasted state after having a few too many beers yesterday.

My squats sucked. I'll be flip-flopping the workouts next so the strength day will be deadlifts and the metcon will use squats for a couple of weeks. This is good as I need to up the DL.

I also tried a new type of lunge for me, a one hand overhead lunge. Basically, holding a 40lb db overhead with one arm and lunging. It was hard, but then I was exhausted from lack of sleep and a slight hangover.

Allen Yeh
04-17-2007, 05:04 AM
No, 24 hr Fitness with very bad taste. On the other hand, I totally busted a move during Thriller.

Today did metcon in a fasted state after having a few too many beers yesterday.

My squats sucked. I'll be flip-flopping the workouts next so the strength day will be deadlifts and the metcon will use squats for a couple of weeks. This is good as I need to up the DL.

I also tried a new type of lunge for me, a one hand overhead lunge. Basically, holding a 40lb db overhead with one arm and lunging. It was hard, but then I was exhausted from lack of sleep and a slight hangover.

Coach Rut calls those hammer lunges, I found that with high rep hammer lunges my arms get tired faster than my legs do, which makes sense. Out of the 3 variations, overhead, side and front I feel like the overhead is hardest but the side is more awkward.

Do you do the lunges walking forward and then walking backward?

Ron Nelson
04-17-2007, 10:10 AM
Holy Crap, no. I have a hard enough time keeping my balance going forward.
I will try it though. I was only able to handle 10 steps whilst hoisting the 40lb'er overhead. I might go to a 35# db and 20 steps and see how it goes.
My problem, like yours, was not the legs, but the shoulders giving out sooner.
I like any type of overhead lunge for overall "core" fitness. I also do plate-loaded lunges using 45# for short distances or 25# for 20 steps.
Since I usually do these as part of metcon day, I don't have the full rest to take them to the limit. Lunges are at the end of the 4 movement/10 rep scheme (squats, overhead press, vertical pull/row, lunge or other single-leg movement) so they don't get their due.

Allen Yeh
04-17-2007, 10:17 AM
Coach Rut's article was in CFJ #50.

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/OverheadHammerLunge.mov

Ron Nelson
04-17-2007, 10:34 AM
Very nice. I've always been a big fan of Rut's work and used the lunge variations with different teams I train. Kids hate lunges more than adults.

Derek Simonds
04-17-2007, 11:40 AM
I've always been a big fan of Rut's work and used the lunge variations with different teams I train. Kids hate lunges more than adults.

I am not sure what kid hates them more than I do. I guess it is really a love / hate thing.

Before I started the mass gain program I was using one of Coach Rut's variations per week. My personal favorite was directly in front. When I used the side variation I felt that the weight wasn't high enough to make the lunges any more challenging relative to my shoulder strength.

The overheads on the other hand smoked both my legs and shoulders.

Ron Nelson
04-19-2007, 04:36 PM
Here's some funny shit. I now feel guilty when I leave the gym and I haven't done any lunges or other single leg movements.
I am hopeless.

Today, just to break the boredom, I made up a metcon workout based on "Cindy." I lowered the number of pull ups and push ups per round to 3 and 5, but I added an unloaded bar to the squats and made them overhead squats (I've been slacking on these lately) for 10 reps per round.

I only got 12 rounds, but then I had to wait for the pull up bar twice (guys have to do their overhead tricep cable pulls and cable curls in the middle to get that stretch or some shit). I also wanted to take it easy on the right shoulder. I'm coaching softball now (fastpitch) and get to throw batting practice everyday (yes, I know how to windmill pitch and I have a wicked drop curve) so my shoulder is a little tender.

After the metcon, I worked the snatch from the hang (DJ calls these whip snatches). Got to sets of 3 at 95# before getting rushed out to pick up the kids.

As for the IF and metcon; no appreciable effect. I might be able to get a couple of more rounds with some food in me, but I've never been a big number guy with Cindy anyway.

Ron Nelson
04-20-2007, 11:09 AM
Surprising development after my metcon tweeking. DOMS in the most unusual place; my abs. Must be the OH squats. I likey.

Ron Nelson
04-24-2007, 02:46 PM
I realize I should rename this log, but what the hell.

Yesterday for metcon (I just love using that term because people don't know what to make of it) I did some EDT sets for shits and giggles (did someone say secret service snatch test?). I paired relatively light squats (135#) and pull ups for the first set. Got 13 rounds of 4 reps or each exercise.

Then, for even more fun, I used the Smith machine (gast, horror) and did bench throws (you know, push the bar up fast so it leaves your hand) and walking lunges holding 2 35# plates. Should have regrouped because the right shoulder didn't like the throws at all. Gutted it out for 12 rounds of 5 reps of each movement. The lunges were a challenge because I upped the weight.

Today was heavy day. Got to 2 set of 5 in the deadlift using 260# the rest were between 225-245. Paired that with incline presses using a Hammer strength thingy. That sucked. I was curious as to using the Hammer thingy and will not use it again. My ROM was severely fucked up because of it.
Finally did some motorcycle rider rows (see the last CT article over on T-Mag) and one legged squats to a 28" seat. These were cool and I want to get lower. Need to practice.

I highly recommend the Mike Boyle article from today regarding one-legged movements.

Allen Yeh
04-25-2007, 04:34 AM
I highly recommend trying out the 1 leg straight leg deadlifts. Ouch.

Your'e still using Tony Gentilcore's template right? One metcon day and one strength day, I started using it yesterday it was fun, well kind of 5 x 5 with front squats kind of kicked my ass as well as the 1 leg SLDL's. They took a little bit of working to master but by the 3rd set I felt I had the hang of them.

Ron Nelson
04-25-2007, 11:37 AM
Yeah, I'm rocking the Gentilcore stuff. I like the way it breaks things up and keeps it strong. One thing I've done is experiment with the metcon. Using CF routines and EDT keeps things lively, although I'm pretty sore today from the combination of EDT and somewhat heavy DL's on back-to-back days.

That and the single leg stuff was waaay harder than I realized.

Ron Nelson
05-10-2007, 02:35 PM
Went off the plan once again and did an EDT workout for metcon day.

It sucked.

Paired deadlifts with db push presses. Did them in sets of 3 each and kept the poundage kind of heavy. 205# for the DL's and 2 45's for the press.

Next, pull ups and split squats (single-leg-elevated squats?) with a 25# db.
Did 11 rounds of 4 each. In a fasted state, this seemed really hard.
Now I'm really hungry and I have 2 hours until food. Shit.

Ron Nelson
05-31-2007, 08:49 AM
So Cosgrove has a new article on that fitness website that got 2 or 3 Glassmans in a recent MI survey. I read the article with interest since it is titled "Real Fast Fat Loss," and figured it would be a lot like Afterburn II (a product I have no intent of purchasing). I think I am correct in my assumption as the plan calls for lots of complexes and multiple sets done with minimal rest.

The new plan is to use the workouts in this article as my "metcon" on metcon days. I am always looking for something new and challenging; this looks like it might justr fit the bill. I'll keep you posted. First metcon is today.

In other news, some of the exercise demonstrations were a little, well, poor. I think some of demos used Chad Waterbury as the model. The kettlebell swings and jump squats were particularly poor. The other model is suspected of being Cosgrove's wife (she's easy on the eyes).

Allen Yeh
05-31-2007, 10:12 AM
In other news, some of the exercise demonstrations were a little, well, poor. I think some of demos used Chad Waterbury as the model. The kettlebell swings and jump squats were particularly poor. The other model is suspected of being Cosgrove's wife (she's easy on the eyes).

That was my biggest complaint about the article. Good programming, good undulating periodization scheme, interesting exercise selection....videos = terrible!

Ron Nelson
05-31-2007, 09:58 PM
But, like I said, Cosgrove's wife was easy to watch doing the push ups and jackknives.

So, I tried workout A as my metcon today:
5x5 of
DB RDL/split snatch/lunge- easy. . .had my doubts as to the effectiveness of this program.

Next, the supersets
A. push up on the Swiss ball with a jackknife at the end
B. bent row/back extention
C. lunge/shoulder press (5 reps each leg)

Again, seemed easy through round 2. When I got to round 4, I questioned my sanity. The rows stayed easy, even at 100 lbs. The push ups were easy; keeping my feet on the ball for the jackknife sucked. Lunges were OK, but the presses wore out my shoulders.

Next, 20 sec. of jumping squats, 20 sec. of squats, 20 sec of a squat hold for 3 rounds.

This was done so horribly on the video, I knew I could get through it easily. Or, at least better than some guy who gets paid loads of money by clients to teach them how to jump squat. I was right about this. It wasn't bad, but the hold of the squat position for 20 seconds made standing rough.

Finally, Tabata bike sprints. It's the Tabata. It sucked. Did 2 rounds separated by 5 minutes of active recovery. I liked the amount of sweat it created and figured it was destroying my metabolism. Bottom line; I'll keep doing it.

In all, not a bad workout. We'll see where it gets me in 4 weeks.

Steve Shafley
06-01-2007, 05:48 AM
Heh, I was eying that up too. Looks fun.

Ron Nelson
06-01-2007, 12:15 PM
Heh, I was eying that up too. Looks fun.

I feel it today, if that's what you mean by "fun."

Seriously, it does a number on the metabolism and it is fun. Now, having read the comments on T-Mag, I discovered I should have done the RDL/jerk/lunge combo for 5 reps per leg, per set. Not the way I did them, which was 5 reps, period.

All other sets calling for single leg movements were done 5 reps per leg. Guess this makes the next time even "funner."

Ron Nelson
06-04-2007, 02:47 PM
"Man, that is some fucked up shit."
-Eric Cartman

So, today was metcon day and we all know what that means; workout B of the new Cosgrove fat loss plan. In a word, it blew.

The workout: all done in 4 sets of 10
1. front squat/push press combo
Not bad. I've done thrusters using 95#. . .with bad form. I used 75# for these and only had issues with the wrists. Easy start.

2. a) one arm DB rows
b) good morning/reverse lunge
c) jump squat/pull up/knee raise
4 rounds; 10 reps each. See God.

At the halfway point, once I figured out how to do the GM/lunge without killing myself (first, lower weight to 75#; next, do not double the GM's) I got into a rythym. Then I almost puked. I never puke. I hate puking. I hate feeling like I might puke. This workout got me feeling like I would hurl.

I guess that's good.

3. 30 seconds of a prone bridge, right into 30 seconds of reverse crunches, right into 30 seconds of Swiss ball crunches. 2 rounds.
Ever see a grown man cry doing a bridge? You missed it. It was awesome.

It was me.

Finally, 10 minutes of dumbbell swings using 45 pounds. Got 125 in 10 minutes. Do I get to become a Russian Secret Serviceman now?

My back fucking hurts. I am soaked in sweat. I can barely type (you can't tell?). My thinking is fuzzy and my vision is blurred.

In other words, I liked it. Wednesday is strength day with squats and presses.

Yay.

Allen Yeh
06-04-2007, 08:34 PM
hmmm...maybe I'll take some of these workouts for a spin. I wasn't planning on it since I'm not looking really for "fat loss" but I know I only have a 12 more days until my wife's surgery so I'll be resting/deloading for a few weeks.

I was even toying with the idea of trying out that new Chad Waterbury program. I think I might opt for the AC program though.

Ron Nelson
06-05-2007, 08:41 AM
I have found the difference between a Waterbury workout and a Cosgrove workout to be the following:
When I think a Waterbury workout looks too easy, it is.
When I think a Cosgrove workout looks too easy, I end up crawling from the wreckage.

Allen Yeh
06-06-2007, 04:15 AM
Am I the only person that think it's semi-ironic that on AC's blog today he posted a video of the kettlebell swing? (No it's not Chad Waterbury this time.)

http://alwyncosgrove.blogspot.com/2007/06/kettlebell-swings.html

Ron Nelson
06-06-2007, 09:06 AM
I'll have to check the video later. My district IP blocks access to blogs.

Here's another semi-ironic note. I was reading Criag Ballantyne's ad for his "Turbulence Training" manual. In it, Cosgrove is quoted as saying "TT" is the most effective fat loss program ever. Something about he's studied it, tried it, tested it, and it is the most effective.

As an "Afterburn" buyer, I find that a little hard to swallow. I will not buy anything from this Ballantyne character based on that quote alone.
I find it all a little disingenuous.

I'll gladly accept a refund from Mr. Cosgrove. Based on his quote, I was ripped off when I purchased "Afterburn."

Ron Nelson
06-07-2007, 10:42 PM
Today was 3x15 of workout A.

Hell can't be any worse.

45 RDL's/snatches/lunges? Good warm up and burner.

45 push ups and jackknives? Painful and couldn't finish some of the jackknives.

45 rows and back extentions? Had to drop the weight to 85 for the last set, not that it helped much.

45 lunges? Good. 90 shoulder presses? Bag of shit.

The jump squat thing was a piece of cake compared to the rest of this crap.

The Tabatas? Like a honeymoon.

By the way, I know this whole scheme smacks of Cosgrove. Very little Waterbury except for the light/medium/heavy rotation stuff.

Allen Yeh
06-08-2007, 03:51 AM
I feel it today, if that's what you mean by "fun."

Seriously, it does a number on the metabolism and it is fun. Now, having read the comments on T-Mag, I discovered I should have done the RDL/jerk/lunge combo for 5 reps per leg, per set. Not the way I did them, which was 5 reps, period.

All other sets calling for single leg movements were done 5 reps per leg. Guess this makes the next time even "funner."

To clarify this, so for the dynamic lunge shoulder press, you end up doing 10 shoulder presses and 5 lunges per leg right? Trying to figure out how much weight I was going to choose for the workout A - Heavy today.

This would be the same for the GM/Lunge combo?

Allen Yeh
06-08-2007, 03:59 AM
I decided I'll give 4 workouts a try since I only have until next sunday to get my workotus in before heading to NY for my wife's surgery. So I have today as workout A heavy, Monday is Workout B medium, wed is workout A light, Friday is Workout B heavy.

I was looking through the exercise selection and I was going to change a few things(I know I should leave it the same....but I can't help it!) Some questions too.

DB RDL to split snatch plus lunge -> barbell RDL to power snatch plus OHS ( I think I may regret this later but I still wanted to get my OHS'ing without doing all of that before doing this program too).

Tabata sprints on the track instead of the bike

Front squat - Push press Combo - Did you do this as a thruster? Or did you do this as what was demonstrated, front squat then a push press? There is definitely a difference between the 2 movements.

Waterbury DB Row - Since I don't follow his stuff much...it looks like it's an extra high DB row that starts from the ground and come up onto your toes?

Squat jump to chin with knee tuck - I'll have to see if the bar is high enough, I'm pretty sure if I did a good squat jump my head is already over the bar?

Did you use a weighted vest for any of the movements- the pushup jackknife move seems to be extremely easy at on heavy day with no loading?

Ron Nelson
06-08-2007, 10:04 AM
I decided I'll give 4 workouts a try since I only have until next sunday to get my workotus in before heading to NY for my wife's surgery. So I have today as workout A heavy, Monday is Workout B medium, wed is workout A light, Friday is Workout B heavy.

I was looking through the exercise selection and I was going to change a few things(I know I should leave it the same....but I can't help it!) Some questions too.

DB RDL to split snatch plus lunge -> barbell RDL to power snatch plus OHS ( I think I may regret this later but I still wanted to get my OHS'ing without doing all of that before doing this program too).

Tabata sprints on the track instead of the bike

Front squat - Push press Combo - Did you do this as a thruster? Or did you do this as what was demonstrated, front squat then a push press? There is definitely a difference between the 2 movements.

Waterbury DB Row - Since I don't follow his stuff much...it looks like it's an extra high DB row that starts from the ground and come up onto your toes?

Squat jump to chin with knee tuck - I'll have to see if the bar is high enough, I'm pretty sure if I did a good squat jump my head is already over the bar?

Did you use a weighted vest for any of the movements- the pushup jackknife move seems to be extremely easy at on heavy day with no loading?

I've had to make some changes just to get through the workout within an hour.

First, the RDL/snatch/lunge: I made no changes. I do alternate legs, which I think they don't want you to do, but I get bored otherwise. Especially doing 3 sets of 15, which turns out to be 30 total per round. I like the idea of going barbell/OHS with it. I'd just add a bit of weight. Last night I was using 15lb db's. . .like a total puss.

Tabata sprints? I'm for it. For some reason, I can handle the Tabata protocol with little difficulty. Probably harkens back to my days as a regular in the spin class. The instructor was so damn cute.

I did the front squat/push press as a thruster. It's too easy otherwise. Next time I do this one will be heavy.

The "Waterbury Row" (hello? ego check on aisle 4) is nothing more than a single arm, bent over, high pull row. At least that's how I'm treating them. I like single arm, bent rows.

The jump squat to the pull up I treated as two separate movements and combined the bent knee part as I pulled. Sorry, no weight vest. I might grab a db for the heavy day. As for the push up/jackknife on heavy days? I might add a plate on my back. As it was on the 5x5 day, I struggled with an out-of-round Swiss ball. The "light" day, last night, was murder.

Finally, I did 2 shoulder presses for each set of lunges. In other words, 15 lunges per leg = 30 shoulder presses per round. Hence, I used 10 lb. db's. Again, like a puss. On the last round, I tried all 15 for one leg, then 15 for the other. It was actually easier than alternating and contra to what they have in mind.

Hope that addressed all the questions.

Good luck with the wife's surgery.

Mark Fenner
06-08-2007, 10:47 AM
Every night after BJJ I drink a 16 oz nesquik. I get really crazy and go with the lo fat version.

The best thing for me is that no matter what city I am in there is always a convienence store that sells chocolate milk.

Just curious if someone could post links to these studies (if I end up hunting on Pubmed, I'll post the results myself).

Regards,
Mark

Allen Yeh
06-08-2007, 10:48 AM
Good luck with the wife's surgery.

Thank you.

Allen Yeh
06-11-2007, 10:28 AM
[QUOTE=Allen Yeh;13898]
/QUOTE]

Since I didn't do it the way they intended I can't really compare but today I did the 5 x 5 with the RDL+hang power snatch + OHS and that sucked! I dread the 3 x 15 day!

chris hill
06-12-2007, 05:50 AM
i've just started this, only done work out A for the 5x5 day so far. it took me 85 minutes. no way could i manage it with the recommended recovery periods

Allen Yeh
06-12-2007, 11:58 AM
i've just started this, only done work out A for the 5x5 day so far. it took me 85 minutes. no way could i manage it with the recommended recovery periods

I'd lessen the load but use what they said in terms of recovery.

Ron Nelson
06-12-2007, 02:35 PM
OK, did workout B for the 5x5 day and tried to go "heavy."
The front squat/push press was at 105# and relatively easy. My limiting factor is pain in the wrists. I rack the bar for the FS and roll it up for the PP. Also, my shoulders were a little out of it on the press, making things more difficult than expected. So, I guess it wasn't as easy as I first thought.

I went into the 3 way (single-arm row/GM-reverse lunge/jump squat to pull up to knee up) feeling OK. I was severely underfed today after last night (went to the Dodger game and had one Dodger Dog, some peanuts, and about 5 beers total. . .not the best nutritional plan, but it works for me), but since it was 5x5 I went after some weight.

I started with 105 on the bar for the GM's and used 85 for the rows. I had to back off on the GM's as the lunges were a no go at that weight. Plowed through the 3 way sticking strictly to the rest periods. I felt the cumulative effect of this workout after the second round. By the end, I was a gasping mess. Still am.

The bridge-to-reverse crunch-to-Swiss ball crunch went well for the first round and hurt like hell for the second round.

10 minutes of swings felt good. Got 145 this time. Improved by 20 over the last time.

Now, I am reallllllly hungry.

Ron Nelson
06-12-2007, 02:38 PM
Just curious if someone could post links to these studies (if I end up hunting on Pubmed, I'll post the results myself).

Regards,
Mark

I think it may be easier to find on the CF forum under Nutrition. There was also a discussion on the topic on this forum. The studies may have been posted there. Also, try Jason Feruggia's blog. I think he linked a study there.

Ron Nelson
06-14-2007, 02:32 PM
4x10 is a bitch. Don't let anyone tell you differently. I'm surprised I can even type at this point.

The easy part was the RDL/snatch/lunge complex. Even having to do 10 per side wasn't a problem. Managed the weight well with 20lb db's.

My problem is listening to my ego and using 20lb db's in the 3 way circuit.
Push ups off the Swiss ball with a jackknife went well for the first 2 rounds. The problem was using the 20lb'ers for the shoulder press/lunge combo. After two rounds, the grip and shoulders were struggling. I used the bent row/back extention as a "rest" and still struggled into rounds 3 and 4. By the end, I ditched the Swiss ball, did straight push ups, and broke the shoulder press/lunge into sets of 10.

Nothing remarkable about the jump squat/squat/squat hold. The Tabata cycle sprints were pretty cool. I pushed it and ended strong. Started with the sprints at 112 rpm and finished with 120 rpm.

As a side note. Picked up a couple of Spike Shooters for shits and giggles. Drank one today before I went to the gym. Not sure if it pushed me through the WO or not, but I felt it before I got there and seemed to recover well enough after. It's really the only "energy drink" I like and it's cheaper than Red Bull. Cost about two bucks a can. Tastes pretty good as well.

Two and a half hours to eat. . . arrrgh.

Ron Nelson
06-18-2007, 08:28 AM
Saturday I decided to squeeze in some strength work between my kids' basketball games. With less than an hour to use, I had to have a plan to get as much done as possible in as little time possible.

I decided on opposing 5x5 sets. First, squats and pull ups. Started out with easy warm up weights, then steadily added weight. It was a good start.

Next, snatch grip deadlifts (done as rack pulls with more weight than I'm used to for these) backed with single arm db push presses. Done with a 50lb db, they proved to be challenging by the end of the third set. The rack pulls started tough and got tougher. I used 215lb for these and my grip was failing by the end of the 5th set. I really need to bring chalk.

Fathers' Day was spent in and by the pool. Did the child toss, 10 times for distance.

Ron Nelson
06-18-2007, 02:32 PM
Workout B, 3x15.

Buncha shit.

Used 65, then 70 for the front squat/push press and did them as thrusters to up the HR. Easy. Could go 80 next time.

3-way. 55lb for the rows, 65lb for the GM's/lunges, bodyweight for the jump squat/pull up. Plowed through with very few breaks. Felt like puking on the third set of rows. Pushed it hard on those.

Bridge/rev crunch/sb crunch: no fun on the 15 day. The bridges are killing my back on the second set.

10 min of KB swings (OK, I use a db because I'm not like the cool kids). Got 150. I was worried I wouldn't get 125. Progress, my friends; progress.

Ron Nelson
06-20-2007, 09:30 PM
Today was 5x5 day for workout A. Started out a little ambitious using two 35lb db's for the RDL/snatch/lunge move. Had to move to 30's when the grip started failing. Really, the lunge and snatch were fine, but the pain in the hands and forearms was limiting.

The rest was fine. Really not bad. What made things sort of bad was riding my bike to work and then back home after. 14 miles looks a lot farther after one of these workouts.

Ron Nelson
06-21-2007, 05:55 PM
Getting ready to ditch all of this. I've been IF'ing for 2.5 months, doing fat burning workouts, trying not to eat like a maniac and my weight is constant at 217. On the brightside, I started at like 227.

One more week of the Cosgrove fat burn stuff, then back to alternating metcon with pure strength.

I just did some squats today (10x3) worked up to 235#. Got my best depth ever at 185. The heavier squats were 50% depth. Not great.

Don't ask about the benching I did.

Ron Nelson
06-25-2007, 08:48 PM
So I ditched everything and did the Crossfit "300" workout. Of course, they would never call it that because it would be a trademark infringement or something. Instead, it's 21-18-15-12-9 of four movements (deadlift, hang power clean, front squat, push jerk) using 95#. In the end, a total of 300 reps.

In the end, you feel like shit and your wrists are aching. I wanted to get through it in 20 minutes; then 30 minutes; then hoped for 40. I got 40:39.
Had to switch to back squats on the last two rounds because of wrist pain and I hate using that cross-your-arms-over-your-chest way of holding the bar.

It was my first CF workout in a while and really wasn't that bad. Right now, I think I'd rather do these than the Cosgrove madness. I'm still going to alternate with heavy work for strength. I'm also following the advice of internet guru John Walsh and just stay active; ride my bike to work, play, lift heavy shit for the hell of it, and see how it works out.

Ron Nelson
07-06-2007, 11:02 AM
Updates and revelations:

Weighed in last night at the gym for the first time in a couple of weeks. I was pleased to find that I finally dropped to 214 and have lost about 2 inches on my waist. I'm almost back to my 34" shorts as opposed to the 36's I've been wearing. I was also surprised at the drop seeing as I've been out of the gym for over a week and my diet while in the casinos last week consisted of beer and McDonald's (I also went to Tony Roma's for dinner once, but it wasn't as good as the sausage McMuffin with egg).

I attribute the drop in weight and fat to getting on the bike and riding to work more often. If it weren't for flat tires, I'd have ridden more often. Also, I tend to stay active once I get home. I pick up things, I clean, I cook, I fix. If the kids are willing, I get out with them. It's basically the John Walsh approach, except I'm not selling out like he did. I'm limiting my time in the gym to 2-3 days max, and just for strength work. If I can, I'll just do bodyweight work whenever I feel like it. So far, so good.

On my trip to the gym last night, the goal was to get out in under an hour and get a decent workout in. It should be stated right now, my goals have changed. . .again. I feel I've worked off a decent amount of fat and can keep on doing it as long as I work the strength and keep up my activity level. The IF'ing doesn't hurt as well. So, last night I decided to follow the sage (if not plagiarized) advice of Dan John (you know I'm kidding about the plagiarism part, right Dan?) and I did one of his workouts from his last T-Nation article. It starts with squats (5x5) then moves to a ladder combination of dumbbell clean and press with pull ups. The ladder is a 1-2-3-3-2-1. I'm not sure how many ladders (up and down) you're supposed to do, so I did 3. That's 1-2-3-3-2-1, times 3. A total of 36 reps for each movement.

The squats were kind of light, even for me, as I had taken about 2 weeks off from doing any. I ended up at 225 for 5 and it felt fine.

The ladders started with 50lb and no weight added for pull ups. Second round the cleans and presses stayed the same and I added 15lb to the pull ups (to make up for the weight I've lost). The third round was 55lb cleans and presses and no weight added for the pull ups. In all, I really enjoyed the work. It felt like GPP as I was gasping and sweating like a pig (although, technically pigs don't sweat, so I guess it's all kind of ironic. . .or absurd). Nonetheless, I was out of the gym in 45 minutes and felt like I got my money's worth.

Back to this thought on goals. I know many are big on goals and their training centers around that goal. My problem is my goals remain vague. That is, I'm not sure what I want out of my training. I'm not an athlete as I do not compete (I'd like to, but the opportunities to do an HG around Orange County seem slim), but I do play basketball occasionally and play softball in a league. I like being in better shape than most of the men my age I see. Occasionally I'll see a guy older than me sporting a bunch of muscle, but he can't run or even bike for shit. Me? I can lift, I can run, I can bike, I can keep up with my kids with no problems. I know, good for me. . .pin the medal on my chest. But really, what do I need from my training? At one point, I was concerned with getting stronger and to an extent, I still am. My problem was I looking to all the wrong places to get my advice.

I was reading and applying a lot of things from the EFTS newsletter and site. Problem was, I'm no powerlifter. I did focus on the big three and still do (press, squat, deadlift), but I was eating like I was Dave Tate on a Pop Tart binge. My lifts did not go up, I was not going to compete, and I was getting fatter. As a side note, Dave Tate is one of my favorite minor league fitness celebrities. He likes to push his limits and experiment on himself. Sort of like me, but without the muscle and Pop Tarts. Anyway, I also took a lot away from T-Nation, guys like Cosgrove, Waterbury, Cressey, and Gentlecore. I applied what was useful from each, sometimes to the exclusion of all other advice. Now, I'm at a crossroads and find myself adhering to the advice of John Walsh: Just be active. So far, I like it, but we all know that will change in less than 10 days.

So, to conclude: Dan John, good workouts, always seems to come up with something I like. T-Nation writes who aren't DJ, hit and miss, but I'll always try something new because. . .well, it's new. Dave Tate, good for powerlifters who like speed metal, Budweiser, and sugary snacks. Crossfit, got me pretty far, but it hurt like a mutha. I still do it occasionally.

Next? Depends on what I feel like next.

Ron Nelson
07-10-2007, 09:19 AM
The Dan John Kiss Ass experiment continues. I reread his last article and tried to duplicate his routine as best I could. I did the warm ups with the barbell complexes, then to the ladder of clean and presses with pull ups.
Again, the clean and presses were OK, so I went up to 60lb on them and weighted the pull ups with 15lb for the first 2 rounds. Also, this time I paid attention and only went up on the ladder, 1-2-3, then rested for 1 minute. Did this for 5 rounds (total of 30 reps). It kicked ass.

Next, tried the the barbell rollout with one arm bench presses. No benches, so I did floor presses and the weights are all hexagons, so rollouts were, let's say, "difficult."
Got 2 sets of 5 before giving up and leaving to pick up my daughter from basketball practice.

Rode the bike this morning and noted that I was still feeling last night's work.

Good stuff from the leader of the Murray Institute for Lifelong Fitness.

Ron Nelson
07-17-2007, 12:24 PM
Bear with me. I'm going to try to get this done in one breath.

So, I read in another thread about "intervals within intervals" about how you can divide the work you do up in manageable, yet highly powerful intervals and Scotty Hagnas quoted Robb about splitting up the work, so he tried it with Helen and it went like this; 40 yd zig-zag dash, 7 swings, 4 pull ups for nine rounds, and I thought, "Hell, I could kill at that," and I also made this connection to EDT because it sounded a lot like that, so I thought I'd give it a try the next time I went to the gym, then I read the latest article by Chad Waterbury where he describes this "breakthrough" he's found in training and getting "hyooge" where you lift a moderate amount of weight really fast for as many reps as you can until you slow down, then stop and this will recruit more motor units; hence, you get all swole and I think, "Isn't that a lot like what Robb, and Scotty, and Staley just said?" Hell yeah it's what they said.

So that's what I did yesterday.

Power EDT round 1:
SGDL 185#
one-arm push press 50#
15 min. 3 reps per round. 20-40 sec. rest between rounds.
11 rounds.

EDT can be used for power, GPP, hypertrophy, or all three. I chose power and got a wallop of GPP thrown in for good measure.

Power EDT round 2:

Pull ups
single leg squats
15 minutes, 3 reps per round, little or no rest between rounds.
12 rounds.
Went as fast as possible through the first few rounds, then changed from real single leg squats (to a low bench) to split squats with a 25lb DB. Picked up speed and really snapped the hips on the way up on each rep.
Pull ups are pull ups no matter what I do. Kipping is beyond me, so I pull like hell.

I think this will be my approach for a while, or until I get bored again. Or, I might mix in a lot of different approaches for a while.

Oh, warm up was the bike ride to the gym and then some DJ complexes using 65# (snatch, OHS, back squat, good morning, press, row, DL).

Ron Nelson
07-24-2007, 09:31 AM
Continuing with the lift one day a week program for now due to time contraints.

Warm up was a one mile bike ride to the gym, then 3 rounds of complexes with 65#. Power snatch, OHS, back squat, good morning, overhead press, bent row, deadlift. Was sweating like a motherf*&^er at this point.

Sticking with the EDT style of workout with a power bias twist.
First pairing was back squats (185#) with single arm rows (90#). The idea was to keep reps low and make them fast. Target was 10 rounds with rest in between. Got the 10 rounds, but it was close. The squats were crap, at best, while the rows looked good. Grip was failing, especially with the left hand.

We now pause until the laughter subsides.

Second pairing was dips and single-leg deadlifts. Use 60# for the SLDL's; no weight for the dips. 11 rounds.
I haven't done dips in a loooooong time, so they were a little awkward. Got deep (sternum level); just couldn't go too fast.

Hopefully, I can get to the gym tomorrow.

Ron Nelson
08-07-2007, 01:48 PM
Walshy may have deemed his healthy lifestyle approach a dismal failure, but my own experiment has yielded results.

Weight down to 211 as of yesterday (was up to 225).
I workout once a week (maybe twice this week).
I bike whenever possible. Today was 10 slow miles with the kids along the river trail.
I stick to the IF 5 days a week (no food until after 5pm) the other two, no food until after 1pm.
I keep myself busy around the house doing crap that I don't want to do.
I run the kids around to practice 5 days a week and to games on Saturday.
I eat what I want.
I sprint one day a week; usually Wednesday.

I know most of you are hardcore athletes. I'm a shlub. A 45 year old father of 4 whose main goal is to stay away from getting fat again and increase my strength. My Holy Grail is not a 400lb squat or a 500lb deadlift. I'm lucky if my lifts are half that. I just want to do what I can, be lean, and play with the kids.

So far, so good.

R. Alan Hester
08-07-2007, 03:51 PM
My Holy Grail is not a 400lb squat or a 500lb deadlift. I'm lucky if my lifts are half that. I just want to do what I can, be lean, and play with the kids.
So far, so good.

Good on you, Ron. Even if you only hit the "Novice" numbers set-forth by Rippetoe, you are good for YOUR goals in Life. as he states in his book, ""Novice" means a person training regularly for a period of 3-9 months. This strength level supports the demands of vigorous recreational activities.That sounds like you, sir.