PDA

View Full Version : Best $5 I ever spent

Mike ODonnell
05-04-2009, 05:17 AM
If you are like me....and love sleep, then I have a tip for you. Go buy some good earplugs. I tell you what.....I have never slept so soundly and felt more refreshed than after using them for a month straight. I always claimed to never be a morning person....but now without an alarm I get up 7am easily.....where before I could be dragging ass until 8-9am (or even later). Just goes to show how much I was probably waking up during the night and didn't know about it.....along with all the times I did know about it with the damn dogs barking at deer at 3am!

Jay Cohen
05-04-2009, 09:44 AM
And the best 10 bucks I've spent, was the purchase of a sleep mask from Bed and Bath. Room was never totally dark, it is now, any time of day.

Greg Davis
05-04-2009, 09:59 AM
sun alarm has to trump those..

Craig Brown
05-04-2009, 10:35 AM
I've slept with earplugs for years- even with less time to sleep, I sleep much better with them. I found a cheap disposable that are good for a few weeks each, box of 100 pair was about $25 and Grainger.

Yuen Sohn
05-04-2009, 10:54 AM
+1 for the plugs.

The pigeons in my neighborhood, for some reason, prefer to hold their mating rituals on the window ledge just outside my bedroom (usually starting at 5:30AM), so the plugs are a lifesaver. I'd much rather use a shotgun or Zon cannon to solve that problem, but neither option is legal in NYC.

Mike ODonnell
05-04-2009, 11:15 AM

I wake to the real thing....as I don't use an alarm anymore....also my hand seems to feel better without having to smash something every morning.

Joe Hart
05-04-2009, 11:59 AM
I would love to wear earplugs but I have two kids that I want to be able to hear in the night. Nothing like walking into the room and kid has barfed and is pissed because 1. He barfed and 2. He had been calling for you.

They will have to wait until the kids are older. Maybe the mask though....

Jay Cohen
05-04-2009, 06:14 PM

Ya, those are sweet

Kevin Perry
05-04-2009, 06:59 PM
ah well that explains it then

Greg Davis
05-05-2009, 04:00 AM
i also went all out and found a good morning-sounding "nature sounds" track and edited a slow fade into it... combined with a sun alarm its as good as it gets living downtown...

Philip Stablein
05-10-2009, 05:24 AM
I don't know why I didn't do this sooner. Sleeping in downtown Baltimore was a big change from rural New Mexico, but earplugs make it a whole lot nicer...

Thanks for the reminder MOD.

Dean Saunders
06-15-2009, 05:06 AM
I work shift work like many others and with two kids in the house under the age of two I find ear plugs are a necessity for a half decent sleep. But I was alo concerned that the kids may find the ear plugs if I lose one and think"Ooh pretty colour, wonder what it tastes like? as kids like to do. FOr peace of mind I now use ear plugs that are connected by thin plastic cord. Cant lose them, no matter how you try!

Kyle Collins
09-14-2010, 07:12 AM
Do you guys use any particular kinds of ear plugs? last time I tried this it was very uncomfortable. I sleep on my side.

Gary John
09-14-2010, 03:19 PM
I have been close to deaf since 1969. So, I have these killer super-strong hearing aids. Take them out and I have slept through car alarms that were stuck and at least 3 accidents with the big street light down the block. It keeps getting taken out and I guess there are all kinds of fire trucks and PGE crews showing up to clean up the mess. Wife tells the neighbors I'm sound asleep.

Ryan M. Scott
11-04-2010, 11:30 AM
I may give this a shot. I have a ton of disposable earplugs from playing in a band, and sleep is definitely my weak link in terms of fitness and recovery. To be honest, I ususally fall asleep listening to a podcast with earbuds in, and then I wake up in the middle of the night with the cord tangled around my head. Not the best sleep strategy I know... but I think I'll try the earplugs for a few nights, see how it helps.

John Alston
11-04-2010, 11:43 AM
your mobile device, if it's an iphone, can let you do for free Sleep Machine, a white noise, rain sound, fan sound, etc generator, if you don't like the idea of spending 8 hours with foam in your ears.

Aaron Griffin
11-04-2010, 12:49 PM
Well how in the world do you wake up on time with ear plugs in?

Jarod Barker
11-04-2010, 01:29 PM
Well how in the world do you wake up on time with ear plugs in?

Easy, go to bed 8 hours before you want to get up. I've been sleeping with ear plugs in for at least a year now, and I have black out curtains so it's always night time in my bedroom.

Aaron Griffin
11-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Easy, go to bed 8 hours before you want to get up. I've been sleeping with ear plugs in for at least a year now, and I have black out curtains so it's always night time in my bedroom.

I've always wanted to be able to sleep with ear plugs, but I'm too worried I'd oversleep. I sleep with a mask just fine, and generally wake up after 8-8.5 hours of sleep, but there's still some hesitancy

Jarod Barker
11-04-2010, 09:51 PM
I've always wanted to be able to sleep with ear plugs, but I'm too worried I'd oversleep. I sleep with a mask just fine, and generally wake up after 8-8.5 hours of sleep, but there's still some hesitancy

Well, you can always try it on a weekend. Ear plugs are great and all, but I'm sure you'd still hear your alarm clock even with ear plugs in. I know when my girlfriend sets her phone alarm, I still hear it and wake up even with my ear plugs in. You could always try a watch that vibrates for your alarm.

I find that when I get enough sleep though, I don't have any issues with oversleeping. Or you could try ditching the mask and getting an alarm clock that lights up.