PDA

View Full Version : Strength Cycles v Bulgarian Cycles

Matthieu Hertilus
05-06-2009, 07:55 AM
Simple question: if one feels they are technically proficient enough in the OLifts, is it ok to skip the strength cycle and go into another bulgarian cycle? I feel more comofrtable constantly doing full snatches and cleans as opposed to accessory lifts such as tall cleans or muscle snatches. Or maybe there's a way to still do the strength cycle while incorporating more full snatches and cleans rather than once a week on saturdays. Hoping for opinions and advice as I'm in the middle of a recovery week and want to have a good plan going forward.

Brian DeGennaro
05-06-2009, 10:29 AM
Stick to the program a qualified coach outlines. There is a reason for each and every phase. I find that strength phases help me see where my strengths and weaknesses in each portion of the lift are.

Andy Robinson
05-06-2009, 04:32 PM
check this out... http://sites.google.com/site/sanduskyweightlifting/juniors ...Sandusky Weightlifting in northern Ohio. Looks pretty brutal. I imagine recovery would have to be top notch to keep up for long. They coach mostly school aged kids from what I can tell. The coach has what looks like plenty of good young lifters so something must work.

Kevin Perry
05-06-2009, 05:55 PM
You can never do too much technique work so your best sticking to the plan as outlined.

Matthieu Hertilus
05-07-2009, 08:46 AM
I guess I was concerned about the training effect one would get from the strength cycle as opposed to the bulgarian cycle

Kevin Perry
05-07-2009, 09:04 AM
Do you have a coach? Has he given you a format to follow? I'd say if he has just go off that, best to keep that kind of stuff to them.

Brian DeGennaro
05-07-2009, 08:07 PM
Also, the sad truth is: no one's form is perfect. Ever. I always have the notion my form sucks so I must always work on it, and strength cycles help because I can perform complexes that help fix a kink in my form that just snatching or CJ'ing can't fix. It works very well with clients who just can't seem to "get it".

Andrew Wilson
05-08-2009, 06:00 PM
check this out... http://sites.google.com/site/sanduskyweightlifting/juniors ...Sandusky Weightlifting in northern Ohio. Looks pretty brutal. I imagine recovery would have to be top notch to keep up for long. They coach mostly school aged kids from what I can tell. The coach has what looks like plenty of good young lifters so something must work.

HOLY kald;hflahdfoasfdhapdsofhasdfasdfa
That's bulgarian alright

Emily Mattes
05-08-2009, 06:20 PM
Also, the sad truth is: no one's form is perfect. Ever. I always have the notion my form sucks so I must always work on it, and strength cycles help because I can perform complexes that help fix a kink in my form that just snatching or CJ'ing can't fix. It works very well with clients who just can't seem to "get it".

This.

If you've been Olympic lifting with serious coaching for like 10+ years and your form is like a freakin' picture-book than it's one thing, but if you'd be lifting for that long you probably wouldn't be asking this question . . .

Ryan Kyle
08-22-2009, 04:39 PM
I'm new to this forum and found this thread by accident. Sandusky Weightlifting is my club and I am a very big believer in Bulgarian methods but more importantly a system of training that allows you to be brought up in a way that lets you train that hard and think almost nothing of it. If you think that training is bad check out what is up there now http://sites.google.com/site/sanduskyweightlifting/this-week-in-training The 16-17 training is the newest program and I am trying it out with one lifter and we set up 4 goals for him to hit. If he makes 3 of 4 we will use that next year for the 16-17 year olds. Soon I will be adding a new section to the sidebar called 'training' which will have all the programs I use from day 1 to the day they make Junior National team level. I do not have a Senior program yet because I do not have anyone on that level yet.

Ryan Kyle

Eddie Clark
08-22-2009, 05:55 PM
Matthieu,
There's nothing wrong with trying something different. There is no one right or wrong answer. If working on the full lifts is what keeps you motivated and working then modify your program. Keep records or your training. Recording not only what work was done but how you felt during the work. If you have a coach record his analysis of your lifts. If you don't have a coach video your lifts and analyze them and record your findings. It doesn't have to be a novel. A simple blurb will do. Analyze the results of the training at the end of the cycle and tweak from there. You never know unless you do it.

I think that whatever keeps you wanting to train is what will work for you. And the best part is that you will be learning how to program yourself.

Martin Bonn
08-23-2009, 04:42 AM
I ve only been Oly lifting for a while and this is just my personal opinion:
I'm not so sure about the loading and % used...that probably will burn you out unless everything form nutrition to sleep etc is spot on.

There is something to be said for just using the lifts though: it is easy to get stuck on certain technical aspects and certain exercises and it can be quite good to sometimes 'just get on with it'. having said that, i've just completed 2 weeks of pulls of the blocks and power versions of the lifts to get the 2nd pull right! (could you tell i m a novice?! ;-p)

i've found this to be true in other areas as well: when i learn a new technique in judo or jitsu it can be really beneficial to just do the whole thing in one go over and over again rather than to break it down into smaller parts!
i supose it s quite hard to assess this without a coach...