PDA

View Full Version : Allergies

Brandon Enos
05-16-2009, 09:55 AM
I'm allergic to pollen and some grasses, so this time of year is absolute torture for me. This morning while I was taking my sudafed/benadryl (sp?) complex which I have to take twice-a-day so I could go hiking this morning, I realized how many chemicals I was putting in my body. Does anybody know of a more 'primal' way to reduce allergies? I'm trying to clean myself up, stop having so many chemicals in my body, figured if I could reduce the meds, that may help.

Also, I think I may be allergic to watermelon. Every time I eat it, my throat gets really itchy and raspy. Luckily, I experience no other symptoms. If I continued eating watermelon on occasion, could I expect symptoms to get better or worse? Or is it just going to be a crap shoot?

Brandon Enos
05-16-2009, 10:03 AM
Let me also say off the bat, so no one asks haha;

I sleep anywhere between 7-9 hours a night, depends on the night. My diet is animal products (meat, organs, eggs, marrow), veggies, fruits, and nuts, that's all (except for the occasional cheat), and I do eat a little bit of cheese made from raw milk. The majority of my exercise is done outside. My lap swimming is done in an indoor pool, and I only use my Kettlebells inside when life forces me to work out in the excessively hot portions of the day.

Mike ODonnell
05-16-2009, 11:43 AM
Reduce dairy....gluten...sugar....add in more healthy bacteria to the gut...etc.

I've noticed from that my allergies are rare nowadays thanks to just doing the steps above.

Chris Forbis
05-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Locally produced, raw honey.

Garrett Smith
05-16-2009, 01:38 PM
The suggestions above are good.

Vitamin D3 is essential for the immune system, it appears the Vitamin D Council is moving towards recommending 5000iu per day for nearly all adults (testing is best, but not everyone is willing).

Vitamin A (the fully formed stuff, not carotenoids) at about 10000iu/day, is what the Weston A. Price recommends for adults.

If you are swimming in a chlorinated pool, you need to look further into iodine supplementation to counteract the subclinical chlorine toxicity you are inducing.

Allen Yeh
05-16-2009, 02:47 PM
Neti pot? I've never used it myself but I'v heard good thigns bout them.

Frank Needham
05-16-2009, 07:18 PM
Neti pot? I've never used it myself but I'v heard good thigns bout them.

I've also spoken to someone who's whole family uses this and has good things to say about it.

My allergies were so bad this year that for the first time I got a kenalog shot.

Certain eye drops helped me also like panatol and ketotifen fumarate drops.

Lastly, washing the eyes with Johnson & Johson Baby Shampoo helps some.

Garrett Smith
05-16-2009, 07:48 PM
If you'd like to try the modern version of a Neti pot, check out www.neilmed.com .

Ken Rich
05-17-2009, 05:24 PM
We have the Grossan Hydro Pulse sinus irrigator and I love the thing. It's like a modified water pik for sinuses. If I feel my palate drying which for me is a sign that my sinuses are closing, I start flushing a couple times a day. Seems to abort any cold/sinus infection that tries to get me.

We use the Neil Med packs with it.

Recommended.

Ken