PDA

View Full Version : Abs of tin

Billy_Brummel
01-24-2007, 12:09 PM
Looking for an ab routine to close out my workouts with. Any suggestions?
(I apologize for ending my first sentence with a preposition. It won't happen again.)

Steve Shafley
01-24-2007, 12:48 PM
My requirements for a core routine have changes quite a bit over the years.

Now my requirements are:

1. A big heavy movement that requires core stabilization. Squats, deadlifts, cleans, front squats, zercher squats all fit the bill here.

2. A movement that targets the obliques - sample movements

a. Heavy side bends
b. Windmills with kbs
c. Suitcase deadlifts
d. "Diesel Crew" sidebends (hard to explain, I'll have to look up a video)

3. A movement that targets the abdominals - sample movements:

a. GHR sit ups
b. Hanging leg raises
c. L-sits
d. rack crunches

I'll either work one or the other in any given workout. Only one movement. For a long time I finished every workout with hanging leg raises or knee raises for spinal decompression and I might start that again.

Ron Nelson
01-24-2007, 01:14 PM
Buy an ab-wheel. Work in a set of 5-10 roll outs when you get the chance.

Scott Kustes
01-24-2007, 01:26 PM
Roll-outs, L-sits for sure. And Steve's ideas are great ones too.

Billy_Brummel
01-24-2007, 02:19 PM
Steve, Ron, Scott:

Thanks for the input!

I'll be using this as a closeout to some o-lifting sessions, so the spinal decompression component to the leg raises seems quite attractive. I've also been meaning to obtain an ab wheel ever since I saw Ross Enamit doing roll-outs with two weighted vests. One day I'll be able to do that--one day!! *shakes fist at sky*

Mike ODonnell
01-24-2007, 05:41 PM
Love the hanging feet to hands raise....kills....either way lots of good ideas...work them in all directions and planes...dont forget some static holds (planks, Lsits) and go heavy or explosive.

Something to add to, I do some X-large swiss ball crunch while holding a very heavy DB overhead and pushing it skyward with the abdominals...and the full abdominal stretch over the ball on the way back is great.

Eva Claire Synkowski
01-24-2007, 06:14 PM
Love the hanging feet to hands raise....kills....either way lots of good ideas...work them in all directions and planes...

thats right - didnt we just see the old windshield wiper in PM recently? that'll get you abs of tin...

Rick Deckart
01-25-2007, 09:48 AM
Don't forget the kettlebell swing, especially the double kettlebell swings are a tremendous core builder. Also in no particular order OHS, all static work like flags, planche etc. and my one of my favourites: weighted situps.

Steve Shafley
01-25-2007, 10:41 AM
I've found lots of value in static work.

Rick Deckart
01-27-2007, 02:52 AM
The following is a nice little core routine from Owen Andersons little book
LACTATE LIFT-OFF:

1. Lie down on the belly in a prone position. Lift body that body weight is only supported by forearms and toes. Elbows are on the ground and directly below shoulders. Forearms and hands are resting on the ground, pointed straight ahead. Toes are shoulder-width apart.
2. Tuck you pelvis, in other words rotate your pelvis so that the upper part moves away from the ground while the lower part is pushed towards the ground. This part is critical.
3. Hold this position for 15 seconds and then lift your right arm from the ground, straighten it and point it straight ahead, hold it for 10 seconds, return to the starting position.
4. Do move 3. with you left arm.
5. Now lift your right leg from the ground, hold it straight for 10 seconds and return to the starting position.
6. Repeat move 5 with your left leg and return to the starting position.
7. Now lift right arm and left leg from ground and hold for 10 seconds before you return to starting position.
8. Repeat 7 with the left arm and right leg.
9. Take a one minute break and then repeat 1—8 but when you return to the starting position at the end of the second cycle hold the starting position for two minutes.
10. Your not done yet, sorry, turn on your back and support yourself on the elbows foreams and heels. Keep an straight body and apply move 2.
11. Now repeat step 3—8 while in position 10.
12. Flip to your right side and support yourself with the right forearm/elbow and the outside of the right foot. Apply move 2. and lift your left leg and left arm in the air, hold for about 20 seconds, turn on your left side and repeat. Now you are done!

Looks easy on paper but believe me after a 10km run…

Billy_Brummel
01-27-2007, 11:47 AM
Peter,

That sounds do-able, but then again, things on paper are always easier. Thanks for sharing that.

Robb Wolf
01-27-2007, 05:15 PM
Chase the front and back lever. Awesome stuff. Plank holds from the elbows in a Tabata interval. sounds easy...it will fudge you up.

Similar to Steve I love heavy wheel barrel carries. Evil wheel is legit. Thai kicks always make me sore.