PDA

View Full Version : Weighted dips

Brandon Oto
05-22-2009, 02:25 PM
Any thoughts on weighted dips? Like 'em, hate 'em, found them useful, hurts your shoulder? Who trains them regularly?

Gant Grimes
05-22-2009, 02:42 PM
Like em, especially on the rings. I used to train them a good bit. I'll work them back in this summer.

Kevin Perry
05-22-2009, 03:32 PM
weighted ring dips rock

Allen Yeh
05-22-2009, 04:04 PM
I liked weighted dips and ring dips, the ring dips a little bit better although they are a bit more challenging, this is because sometimes depending on the dip apparatus it just makes it uncomforatble. With the rings it's a lot more adjustable for your body.

Garrett Smith
05-22-2009, 04:13 PM
I'm personally working on harder dip variations from Sommer's book, before I bother going to weighted dips.

George Mounce
05-22-2009, 04:17 PM
I'm personally working on harder dip variations from Sommer's book, before I bother going to weighted dips.

Yup you can do all with leverage just as much as stacking on more weight.

Brandon Oto
05-22-2009, 04:33 PM
Been doing these regularly lately (not on rings) and their ability to improve has been remarkable. Much easier progress than any other upper-body press and significantly easier on all levels than weighted pullups. Just generally a really simple to implement chest/tris/back exercise. Tossed on +70lb for 3x5 last time and been having no trouble adding 5lb every workout. Grab a DB in your legs or feet and push. I'm a fan.

Steven Low
05-22-2009, 05:37 PM
Obviously, I like them. Favorite pressing exercise actually... I prefer them over HSPUs and such

I wish I could grab a DB between my legs.. that would be much easier, but they don't make DBs heavy enough (well, they do but not common) and my legs couldn't handle it :(

Both rings and bars are fine. Actually though at higher weights, the rings become like bars. I don't know if any of you have done a bodyweight ring dip, but it only requires a small bit of stabilization compared to just holding your bodyweight up. Movement of the rings outward away from the body requires increasing the ring height relative to the ground which gravity doesn't like. :p

Patrick Donnelly
05-22-2009, 09:07 PM
Both rings and bars are fine. Actually though at higher weights, the rings become like bars. I don't know if any of you have done a bodyweight ring dip, but it only requires a small bit of stabilization compared to just holding your bodyweight up. Movement of the rings outward away from the body requires increasing the ring height relative to the ground which gravity doesn't like. :p
Hah, that's interesting. I can only dream of experiencing that one day.

Brandon Oto
05-23-2009, 01:53 AM
One wonders what the pros/cons of using bars vs. rings might be, aside from ergonomics for those with shoulder troubles.

George Mounce
05-23-2009, 05:31 AM
One wonders what the pros/cons of using bars vs. rings might be, aside from ergonomics for those with shoulder troubles.

I actually rather do dips on rings than bars, most out there are way too wide and since you can like Steven said adjust width with rings rather than a bar, they have that going for them as well.

Chris H Laing
05-23-2009, 06:34 AM
I prefer them on bars for weighted, just because I can handle more weight that way.

Steven Low
05-23-2009, 07:28 AM
Rings is pretty much almost always better for strength to say the least. Plus, probably better ergonomically as you mentioned.

Although the stabilization effect on rings goes away at heavy weight as I mentioned. My weighted ring dip is +155 lbs while only +170 on bars. Not much of a difference (and that was with an extra ~5-6 week cycle for the ones on bars).

Garrett Smith
05-23-2009, 01:07 PM
My training buddy just complained during our gymnastics workout today that his A/C joint was bothering him ever since he did weighted (bar) dips the other day.

I believe that for those who have trouble maintaining any semblance of scapular depression in general during dips (or don't know to not let their shoulders go up into their ears as soon as they break the elbows to descend), that weighted dips really invite issues in the A/C joint.

Chris H Laing
05-24-2009, 04:32 AM
So im one of those that didnt know that the shoulder should not come into the ears during dips, but thats because I tried them with my scapula depressed and it hurt the ride side of my neck for a couple days. So now I've been intentionally not depressing my scap...is this wrong, even though the right way causes me some pain?

Garrett Smith
05-24-2009, 05:48 AM
Chris,
I don't think the scapula have to stay fully depressed the whole time, but if the shoulders are allowed to sag all the way up to the ears, the strain is mainly being supported by tendons & ligaments at that point (like the A/C joint).

Somewhere in between is probably best, not at the far end of either ROM.

Steven Low
05-24-2009, 06:52 AM
Keep them "mostly" down.

Watch one of my weighted dip vids... you'll see.

My R AC joint has some laxity so I know if I'm doing stuff wrong cause it will probably start hurting which sucks.

Ben Reynolds
07-14-2009, 06:49 AM

Ring dips train better proprioceptive awareness than bar dips. Rings also force the lats and trapezius to contract hard. Fatigue on the rings overshadows fatigue on parallel bars. It's like the difference between pushups and burpees. They both employ the same motion, but more muscles are utilized per rep on the latter. I actually gained a surprising amount of trapezius mass and cardiovascular endurance from ring dips.

To answer the thread, I used to dip 10 reps of 55 pounds on parallel bars just goofing around and never had shoulder issues, however I did notice occasional impingement if I descended at a bad angle. Doing ring dips, I've had no problem because I can adjust my grip to suit my joints. Personally, I find added weight unnecessary when leverage can be manipulated. I usually use bulgarian dips to add intensity.

Ultimately, every athlete should decide for themselves what works best to achieve their goals. Happy training.