PDA

View Full Version : O'Lifts Feedback

Matthieu Hertilus
05-23-2009, 03:26 PM
Until I can get a coach, I'm depending on you all for some helpful feedback on ym o'lifts in terms of speed, form and execution. Here are some of my snatches and clean and jerks from today at CrossFit IGNITE. Did the best I could self-recording. I think one of my problems is not keeping the bar close enough to my body as well as not fully extending, but that's just my opinion. The last link is of a failed 75kg snatch. As always, all helpful advice is much appreciated.

http://sharing.theflip.com/session/7d35c97302f9d054b7f8a2525a174727/video/4245184

http://sharing.theflip.com/session/c908f9f0342b9f06aad628951b06b2d9/video/4245282

http://sharing.theflip.com/session/4feb714a8bed12c8b764ebb5eed28196/video/4245345

glennpendlay
05-23-2009, 03:37 PM
On the clean and the snatch, try to stay on your heels just a little longer at the top... as long as possible, actually. that should stop you from jumping forward. on the jerk, step out further with the front foot, and recover front foot first.

Greg Everett
05-23-2009, 05:18 PM
What Glenn said.

Also, don't throw your head back on that snatch - drive through the floor with your legs instead. WOrry less about extending your hips and more about extending your knees.

Try doing a vertical jump without opening your hips - not too good. If you really focus on driving down through the ground with your legs, while staying back over your heels more, you'll extend your hips just fine - PLUS you'll actually be generating vertical force rather than pushing the bar (and yourself) forward).

Matthieu Hertilus
05-31-2009, 07:47 AM
Is this a little better on the snatch? I feel as though I may not be dropping fast enough. By the time my feet are planted I'm in a half squat position instead of planting my feet at the same time as my arms are fully locked. Maybe you guys have some thoughts on it.

http://sharing.theflip.com/session/630d74330eedcc0740a13f5d9bb0c4d6/video/4342412

Greg Everett
05-31-2009, 10:05 AM
didn't watch the video yet, but - you don't want your feet hitting at the same time your elbows lock out. with regular speed video/observation, it may sometimes look like this is happening, but the feet should be reconnecting well before that. they should be off the platform for no more time than it takes to move them from the pulling to receiving position. it would be nice if you could turn the bar over and lock it out in this little time, but it's not going to happen.

Matthieu Hertilus
05-31-2009, 10:45 AM
Thanks, I wasn't quite sure about that point but with every lift my feet plant well before accepting the bar. I'm more so concerned about not "jumping forwar" with the lift. I think I got it down with the snatch but I'd appreciate feedback from the video

glennpendlay
05-31-2009, 12:18 PM
didn't watch the video yet, but - you don't want your feet hitting at the same time your elbows lock out. with regular speed video/observation, it may sometimes look like this is happening, but the feet should be reconnecting well before that. they should be off the platform for no more time than it takes to move them from the pulling to receiving position. it would be nice if you could turn the bar over and lock it out in this little time, but it's not going to happen.

But the ATTEMPT to make it happen, is often a great cue, IMO at least...

Greg Everett
05-31-2009, 12:35 PM
But the ATTEMPT to make it happen, is often a great cue, IMO at least...

definitely. the only reason i hesitated to add that to my post is that i was thinking about it becoming a problem of overthinking in this case - and instead of trying to finish the turnover at the time the feet reconnect, trying to reconnect the feet at the time the turnover finished (i.e. floating the feet). i haven't seen this much, but i have seen it, and it 's amazingly awkward. i guess the key is using it as a cue - attempting to do it - but knowing it won't happen exactly.

Greg Everett
05-31-2009, 01:04 PM
afew things for you to work on -

in the start/1st pull, flare your knees out - don't put them straight ahead. this will allow you a better posture

don't throw your head back at the top - keep it in line with the rest of your body

don't roll you shoulders forward. turning the elbows out is just rotation of the upper arm - no scapular protraction. keep those shoulder blades neutral

Matthieu Hertilus
06-09-2009, 01:01 PM
I've noticed some problems with my O'Lifts that I was hoping to get some help on:

1) I find myself unable to keep the bar close to me on the scoop. Is there a potential flexibilty/mobility issue of should I just be practicing more high pulls and muscle clean and snatches?

2) I've noticed that my jerk may be the key to my back problems as I feel more tension in my lower back when doing them (the bar seems to go back slightly instead of straight overhead causing excessive pressure on my lower back). Any thoughts on this?

3) I want to learn the squat jerk but I seem to have issues with that as well. Any mobility/flexibilty protocols I should go through in order to prepare myself for that move.

I also want to note that I have been following the CrossFit warm-up routine and always warm up with an empty bar on these exercises. Hopefully you all may be able to help me with some of these issues Im having

Greg Everett
06-09-2009, 03:50 PM
1. Use your body to keep the bar close. The bar wants to be below your shoulders. during the scoop, your shoulders are moving from in front of/over the bar, to behind the bar. There's no reason the bar shouldn't be moving back into your body then - the only reason is if you're letting it pull you forward, stiff-arming it, etc. Just relax your arms and think of sliding the bar up your thighs once it's above your knees.

2. Use your legs to get under the bar, not your back. Back pain in the jerk is almost ALWAYS a result of locking the legs out prematurely and trying to squeeze in under the bar, which then happens through hyperextension of the lower back. So if you get the bar and your hips to the correct height, you'll be fine.

3. Close grip overhead squat. If you can't do that, keep trying.

CF warm-up isn't a warm-up. It's just a shitty workout. Try something more like this (http://www.cathletics.com/wod/video/CAStandardWarmup.mov) before you start your bar warm-ups.