PDA

View Full Version : Reintroducing Milk - about a 2yr layoff

Patrick Donnelly
06-02-2009, 05:36 PM
So, I'm trying to gain weight, mostly using olive oil shots, but I'm getting damn sick of them lately. I'm considering giving GOMAD a shot, but I haven't had milk in nearly two years. I think it was around September 2007 when I cut out dairy since the casein in cottage cheese was giving me nasal congestion. Over the past few months, I've reintroduced ice cream on a regular basis and have had zero problems with that lately. Rarely, I'll have some cheese on a burger (or several slices on several burgers...). Once again, no problems with that.

Aside from that, I've been dairy-less for a long time. What should I expect if I try to bring whole milk back? Does anyone have any recommendations on how to ramp up to a gallon a day?

Steven Low
06-02-2009, 06:58 PM
Shrug, just try it IMO.

I've recently started drinking milk again. If I do anymore than a pint right now I get some of the runs... so I'm sticking there and trying to build up a tolerance or so again.

Chris Forbis
06-02-2009, 11:52 PM
I've found that milk or ice cream both make me a bit mucousy. Milk will also give me significant GI issues, whereas ice cream might give me some gas (a good 8-12 hours later) but nothing else. I'd love to track down raw milk and give it a go, but no luck so far.

Grissim Connery
06-03-2009, 12:47 PM
i actually just brought whole milk back as well. honestly, just go for it and see what happens. if i get weird digestively, i push everything out with some dried fruit.

Patrick Donnelly
06-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Just started drinking my first pint. The taste and smell immediately reminded me of rice Chex. A blast from the past. I'll wait to see what this does before I drink anymore.

Also, I've got to say (once again) that I love Costco. Whole milk was $2.50 per gallon and it has a sell-by date of June 22nd. At that price, it's exactly 1,000 calories per dollar, which surpasses even my expectations of cheat food. (For chocolate, ice cream, etc. I won't buy it unless I get at least 800 calories per dollar.)

Blair Lowe
06-03-2009, 09:46 PM
Heh, at Savemart, 2 gallons is 4.39 for whole and cheaper for 1 or 2% or nonfat.

I think at the 7-11 I used to live nearby, it was 2 gallons for 5 bucks for a local dairy milk ( Crystal? ).

George Mounce
06-04-2009, 05:56 AM
Just started drinking my first pint. The taste and smell immediately reminded me of rice Chex. A blast from the past. I'll wait to see what this does before I drink anymore.

Also, I've got to say (once again) that I love Costco. Whole milk was $2.50 per gallon and it has a sell-by date of June 22nd. At that price, it's exactly 1,000 calories per dollar, which surpasses even my expectations of cheat food. (For chocolate, ice cream, etc. I won't buy it unless I get at least 800 calories per dollar.)

Interesting thought, I'd love to see the biggest bang of calories for the buck out there.

Patrick Donnelly
06-04-2009, 07:47 AM
Ok, so I had three pints yesterday, and absolutely no negative side effects. I'm more than happy with that result, but I was expecting some sort of cataclysmic case of intestinal bloating or something.

Could it be that I just never really lost my ability to eat dairy? I very clearly remember having some serious allergies until I stopped eating cottage cheese, and I had similarly stuffy nasals on other days after dairy binges in the months that followed. So, maybe just the ice cream did it?

Interesting thought, I'd love to see the biggest bang of calories for the buck out there.
Probably one of the vats of soy or vegetable oil they have there.

Blair, what's a Savemart? I've never heard of them. I've been told that an average price in my area right now is around $3.90 per gallon, so Costco's price was amazingly fair.

Grissim Connery
06-04-2009, 08:10 AM
i've had weird dairy issues in my life too. because i'm trying to up my calories more now, i'm trying to experiment with each invididual dairy product and see the results. whole milk seems to be ok for me as well as long as my fruit and veggie intake remains good. i know that some cheeses cause really bad effects in me. keep playing around.

Adolfo Riveron
06-04-2009, 10:13 AM
Just got some whole milk at kroger for 1.99 a gallon...Awesome!!

Blair Lowe
06-04-2009, 10:55 PM
Savemart is just an inexpensive supermarket around here that replaced Alberton's.

Well the noname local dairy that doesn't do any advertising is cheaper than the bigger name that does do more advertising.

The bigger name stores charge more for their milk but probably also advertise more and so on.

I only started to start drinking milk heavily last spring mainly because I was broke and needed protein and calories cheaply and I really wanted to work on rebuilding my strength. Before then, for years it was only then and now but I was starting to grab smaller containers for a quick lunch or breakfast.

Drinking milk will make me spit up a little more gooey from time to time, especially when sick but nothing real bad. When I'm sick, I have a hard time forcing myself to eat or cook and that also really affects my recovery. Milk helps in that sense. What's a little more phleghm when I'm hacking my lungs as it is.

Patrick Donnelly
06-06-2009, 08:34 PM
I've found that I'm sometimes feeling a bit nauseous now. Not too bad, but I've got that feeling in my throat that says there's something down there waiting to come out. What's concerning is that I've gotten this feeling when I am beginning some sort of physical activity - whether it's a workout (mine are all strength-based nowadays, no gut-wrenching metcon) or simply a long, moderately draining activity (eg. building equipment and cleaning the garage). I haven't yet managed to link its occurrence to the time at which I've had milk, but this has only popped up very recently.

A friend of mine recommended a bromelain supplement - something from a pineapple that's supposed to ease digestion. Any opinions here on that? I've got no experience whatsoever with probiotics, lactase, and the like.

Patrick Donnelly
06-13-2009, 03:16 PM
And as an update, I'm now up to a 1/2 gallon a day and I've rediscovered the wondrousness that is the vanilla milkshake. I hate to turn my back on Paleo after I've felt so good on it for so long, but I'm feeling equally fine now, and until that changes, milk is here to stay.

Thanks, all of you, for the support.