PDA

View Full Version : Raw Skin

Frank Needham
06-07-2009, 06:14 AM
I've been doing a LOT of sprinting lately. Legs are built pretty close where friction/moisture can do its thing so I picked up some Under Armour 6" seamline briefs and they are great for prevention of getting raw. What do the rest of you use for this and what sources do you use for purchase?

Garrett Smith
06-07-2009, 06:34 AM
Triathletes use things like BodyGlide (http://bodyglide.com/#/products/anti-chafe).

TriSports.com probably has a good price on it.

Allen Yeh
06-07-2009, 10:12 AM
I like the UA stuff but someone pointed me towards the Eddie Bauer sport briefs and they are much better IMO than the UA stuff.

Frank Needham
06-07-2009, 12:19 PM
Hey, I like both of those suggestions. Eddie Bauers are on the way but I'm still trying to figure out what the Bodyglide product is made from before I order any. Thanks!

Dean Saunders
06-11-2009, 03:53 PM
Cheap solution, just some lycra bike pants, or after exercise, get some zinc and castor oil cream and rub on the affected areas. I work in a hot and wet enviroment and sweat rash is a common thing. best thing I ever found for the treatment was the same cream we use for nappy rash for my kids...

Grissim Connery
06-12-2009, 08:04 AM
i used to play lacrosse defense, but before that i played goalie. because of my goalie background, i could not play the game without a cup. too many bad experiences. my legs are also built pretty close. even when i got to my lowest weight, they still rubbed a lot. the cup just made everything a million times worse. i would end each season with some gross scabs.

the underarmor briefs helped me a lot, but i just tend to not run as much now. i also wear tighter shorts with a high crotch as well. i just try to put as much fabric as possible between my legs. i'd suggest trying some jump roping to replace some running to give your thighs a break.

always be ready to tap out when your legs get raw. it's just like when you rip a callous doing pullups - better to let that junk heal. my gait tends to get weird when i'm trying to avoid my thighs rubbing. my hips end up getting really sore from avoidance.

one reason i love KB's is cause during swings, my legs don't grind.

Derek Simonds
06-12-2009, 12:22 PM
I have body glide left over from my tri days and if I feel chafing coming on I will slather some on.

Are the Eddie Bauers like cotton compression shorts? I looked at what I could find on the website and there wasn't a ton of info on them.

Mike ODonnell
06-12-2009, 01:35 PM
Vaseline is probably cheap....plus who doesn't like filling up a pair of cowboy boots with it and walking around.

Harry Munro
06-12-2009, 02:53 PM
Vaseline, there is no substitute.

Frank Needham
06-12-2009, 07:26 PM
Vaseline is probably cheap....plus who doesn't like filling up a pair of cowboy boots with it and walking around.

I've slapped enough of that stuff on baby's asses to know it works thanks very much :D Not that I really have anything against that but the shorts work pretty good for me.

Frank Needham
06-12-2009, 07:28 PM
I have body glide left over from my tri days and if I feel chafing coming on I will slather some on.

Are the Eddie Bauers like cotton compression shorts? I looked at what I could find on the website and there wasn't a ton of info on them.

Shorts are cotton/lycra/spandex.

Blair Lowe
06-13-2009, 02:11 AM
Bike shorts work pretty well so long as they are never worn by themselves. MY UA and similar boxer briefs work pretty well most of the time.

However, I swear one of the boys was wearing a pair of Lulu shorts the other day and some other yoga type stuff. One of the boys around 7 or 8 asked if he was a girl in the boy's class :eek:

He probably didn't chafe but still...

And no, we have a policy of never wearing our gymnastics singlets in gym unless it's for meets. I'm glad this gym is like this so I don't have a bunch of boys in unitards/singlets. However, these guys barely understand the idea of working out shirtless for some reason. Nobody is old-school, anymore. :confused: