PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Lifting in Philadelphia

David Green
06-09-2009, 06:11 AM
I'm moving to philly in august to go to school and I have been unable to find any gym which has an olympic lifting platform or even bumper plates. I was wondering if anyone knew of a gym in philly which would have those things.

I'd go to a crossfit gym but I don't want to do crossfit classes exclusively.

Emily Mattes
06-09-2009, 10:08 AM
If you're able to drive a bit, East Coast Gold has a training center in Moorestown. There's also IronSport gym in Glenolden. Have you posted anything on GoHeavy.com?

Patrick Donnelly
06-09-2009, 10:09 AM
IronSport Gym
505 S. Chester Pike
Glenolden, PA 19036
610-237-3840

Owner: Steve Pulcinella (Pro Strongman, Pro Highland Games)

http://www.ironsport.com

Listed as a satellite gym for East Coast Gold (a very large mid-Atlantic weightlifting club). Google says its a 22 minute drive from the heart of Philadelphia.

Edit: Emily beat me to it! Haha.

Matthieu Hertilus
06-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Sorry to intrude on your post David but I have a similar issue because I'll be going to school in Washington this fall and was also looking for a gym with Olympic weightlifting equipment and coaches in that area. Hope you don't mind sharing the thread.

Sam Nutt
06-09-2009, 01:41 PM
Washington state? What part? If you're in Seattle, Sand Point Gym is a good option. Thrush is a bit further south, I think in Sumner. Don't know what's on the East side of the state.

David Green
06-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Thanks emily and patrick. I'm not sure i'll be able to make it out there since i won't have my car. Hopefully i'll be able to find somewhere closer in to the city but if not i'm sure i'll find a way over to ironmind.

Matthieu - if you are going to be in DC this fall and not washington state let me know.

Ben Shechet
06-09-2009, 07:57 PM
David, I train at the club in Moorestown, and will say it's a really fantastic place to train. Individual coaching and programming for $20 a month can't really be beat. I live in Princeton, and drive 40 minutes each way to train there.

Steve Liberati
06-10-2009, 05:17 AM
Hey David-
We have Oly lifting platforms at our box and only minutes from Philly right over the Ben Franklin Bridge on Route 38 in Pennsauken. In fact we have quite a few members that come over from Philly that I'm sure could easily drive you over. Feel free to shoot me an email or give me a call.
Steve
609-828-0070
slibs66@comcast.net

David Green
06-10-2009, 08:58 AM
Thanks steve

Matthieu Hertilus
06-11-2009, 06:26 AM
David, I train at the club in Moorestown, and will say it's a really fantastic place to train. Individual coaching and programming for $20 a month can't really be beat. I live in Princeton, and drive 40 minutes each way to train there.

Ben,
Is the $20 only for coaching or programming or does everyone who train there have to pay the fee?

Ben Shechet
06-11-2009, 08:04 AM
I believe if you are not a Moorestown resident, you have to pay the 20 bucks, but if you want to pursue Olympic Lifting, there is no charge on top of that for coaching/programming.

Matthieu Hertilus
06-16-2009, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the info Ben.

I will be going to Gonzaga (by Spokane) so if anyone knows any good gyms to train or work at by there. Please let me know

Tom Zylkin
07-01-2009, 08:57 AM
For the OP, there is actually a gym in center city Philly that has some bumpers. It's called Rittenhouse Fitness and it's at 20th and Rittenhouse. I wouldn't get too excited though-- there are no platforms or dedicated space of any kind for doing bar work, so you're going to have to be very mindful of other people working out in the in the free weight area (which is pretty small). They also have signs up about dropping weights, so you may need to make do without being able to work heavy.

Also, from what I hear you don't need a car to get to the facility in Moorestown. You should be able to find an NJ transit bus downtown that will take you to a stop right outside the club in about 20 minutes. If you can get the bus once or twice a week, and train the rest of the time at Rittenhouse you should get plenty of good work in.