PDA

View Full Version : My Avatar

Jamila Bey
01-26-2007, 12:09 AM
Hey folks,

I just got a strong but politely worded e-mail from someone who finds my avatar "in poor taste" and "offensive."

I understand that I have a warped sense of humor that not everyone appreciates. And I am a guest at this forum, so I really don't want to be unpleasant here. (But I DO think it's funny.)

If anyone else is willing to let me know that they don't like my choice of pics, I'll gladly change it. But I also have the feeling that nobody cares and it's one lone individual who is being overly sensitive.

What say ye?

Allen Yeh
01-26-2007, 04:21 AM
I say nay! (to caring that is)

Mike ODonnell
01-26-2007, 05:56 AM
I find it offensive that it's only a PS2! Why cant I get a PS3!!.....I say it's up to you, doesn't bother me as this is a fitness site...unlike others that like to discuss religion and politics.

Considering the amount of preachers amd ministers stealing people's money and the ones getting caught on nightline for going to underage kid's homes....I say there are bigger issues to worry about.

Robert Allison
01-26-2007, 07:17 AM
I had noticed your avatar before, but had actually given it relatively little thought. But since you asked, here goes...

I think there are (at least) two ways or interpreting the image. One is as a straight up slam on Christianity. While I affirm freedom of speech and the right to hold different views on religion, I personally try to avoid anything that might be perceived as an unnecessary attack on someone else's belief system. But again, that's just me.

A second way of viewing the image is as satirical commentary on the way Christianity is marketed by the contemporary institutional church, which, I believe would an accurate, insightful (not to mention very funny) observation.

In either case, I guess you've caused at least one person to think about some of these things.

As a friend of mine used to say "big bubbles, little troubles."

Jonathan Reik
01-26-2007, 07:45 AM
It cracked me up the first time I saw it. No problems from me.

Ken Urakawa
01-26-2007, 08:21 AM
reminds me of "Buddy Christ" from Dogma (which is a positive thing)

Dave Van Skike
01-26-2007, 09:11 AM
Hey folks,

I just got a strong but politely worded e-mail from someone who finds my avatar "in poor taste" and "offensive."

I understand that I have a warped sense of humor that not everyone appreciates. And I am a guest at this forum, so I really don't want to be unpleasant here. (But I DO think it's funny.)

If anyone else is willing to let me know that they don't like my choice of pics, I'll gladly change it. But I also have the feeling that nobody cares and it's one lone individual who is being overly sensitive.

What say ye?

I love it.

Inability to take a joke is right up there with excessive cat owenership (more than 2)---

prime indicators of mental illness.

Scott Kustes
01-26-2007, 09:52 AM
I could care less about the avatar as I'm non-religious. I can see how someone would take offense though and perhaps that is enough of a reason to change it. I think within reason, we should try to steer away from religion and politics around here, unless it is an outgrowth of normal discussion. There are so many other ways we can offend each other without going to those two.

Just remember: There's no such thing as a victimless joke.

Ron Nelson
01-26-2007, 09:59 AM
It's no worse than mine. Really, I could go on about the oversensitivity of certain religions (and I ain't just talking about the Christians), but I won't because I'm a caring, sensitive individual, damnit!

Of course, if you really want to know how I feel on that subject, here you go:
http://www.theartofdansilver.com/rononchristians.html

Don't follow the link if you're easily offended by bad language and horrible writing.:eek:

Billy_Brummel
01-26-2007, 12:50 PM
I donít have a problem with your avatar. As a Christian, it saddens me that the link between rampant consumerism and Jesus Christ is so strong, but blame for that cannot be placed anywhere other than on the shoulders of Christians, who, in their zeal to live a holy life got the message of Jesus mixed up with the messages of our modern culture (that is ruled by consumeristic notions).

Dave Van Skike
01-26-2007, 12:51 PM
I could care less about the avatar as I'm non-religious. I can see how someone would take offense though and perhaps that is enough of a reason to change it. I think within reason, we should try to steer away from religion and politics around here, unless it is an outgrowth of normal discussion. There are so many other ways we can offend each other without going to those two.

Just remember: There's no such thing as a victimless joke.

I beg to differ. Victimless joke in three acts.

Act I:

Duck walks into a bar, Asks the bartender, "you got any grapes?"

Bartender says, "no, we don't have grapes"

Duck leaves.

Act II

Duck comes back next day. Asks the barternder, "You got any grapes?"

Bartender says, "no, this is a bar, not a grocery store, we don't have grapes."

Duck leaves,

Act III

Duck returns the next day.

Waddles up to the bartender and asks " You got any grapes?"

Bartender says, "Look you little freak, we don't have grapes today, we didn't have them yesterday and we won't have them tommorow. If you ask me again, I'm going to nail your little webbed feet to the bar."

Duck leaves.

Duck returns next day. Duck pokes head nervously into bar, looks around and then waddles up along the bar, ahops up onto a bar stool. Bartender turns around. Duck asks........

"You got any nails?"

Bartender says "No, we don't have nails." Duck says, "Well, in that case, how about some grapes?"

Fin

Yael Grauer
01-26-2007, 01:00 PM
A broom turns to the other broom in the broom closet and says, "I think I'm pregnant." The other broom says, "How can that be? We haven't even swept together!"

Scott Kustes
01-26-2007, 01:55 PM
So anyway, I think you all got the point....when the jokes turn to personal traits, someone is going to end up offended. I don't think the avatar we're talking about is ducks or brooms.

Jamila Bey
01-26-2007, 02:00 PM
Thanks all.

I love this forum and the folks here. So... I am happy to know that most of us are irreverent smart @$$es like myself. But I hadn't even imagined that anyone wouldn't spit paleo approved prune juice at the screen when viewing it.

In light of that... I'm off to find another photo.

Jeremy Jones
01-26-2007, 02:44 PM
I am a Christian (seriously), and I think it is damn funny.

Wait!. . . did I say "Damn"? well I meant it as a structure used to hold back fluids, not the way it is used biblically.

-Jeremy Jones
Prostodigitator of Diablo CrossFit.

Billy_Brummel
01-26-2007, 03:58 PM
Jeremy,

How ironic. You are a Christian and yet you run a place with the Devil's name in it (Diablo). You should check your priorities.

(kidding, of course)

My High schools mascot was the Diablo and back in the day there was a big to-do coming from Christians in the community who wanted the mascot changed because it glorified the devil. Talk about overly sensitive.

Mike ODonnell
01-26-2007, 05:37 PM
Inability to take a joke is right up there with excessive cat owenership.

For the cat lovers...and haters
http://www.addictinggames.com/kittencannon.html
Beat my score...1180ft.

Ron Nelson
01-27-2007, 05:10 PM
For the cat lovers...and haters
http://www.addictinggames.com/kittencannon.html
Beat my score...1180ft.

Bastard. All I could get was 433 ft. I will not stop.

Jamila Bey
01-27-2007, 05:23 PM
999 was my best!

UNTIL NOW

Booyakasha!

Take that kitten!

R. Alan Hester
01-27-2007, 05:57 PM
2206!!!! Payback for having to deal with my wife's cats!

Ron Nelson
01-28-2007, 07:49 PM
Going back to try again. What is your secret?

Don Stevenson
01-28-2007, 09:28 PM
Hey Jamila,

I must have missed you avatar but if someone found it offensive then i definitely need to see it!

Can you email it to me at fitness@octogen.com.au

Jesse Woody
01-29-2007, 04:51 AM
Me too, it took me a couple of posts to realize that the falling down stairs wasn't the avatar in question. On an unrelated note, this thread was worth reading just for the kitten cannon alone. You should hear the sound effects on the surround sound in the gym. Great stuff!

R. Alan Hester
01-29-2007, 05:29 AM

I use a 30 degree angle and roughly 7/8 power, which lands me on a blast point from the very begining and then it continues from there.

Allen Yeh
01-29-2007, 05:30 AM

695 first try heh

Mike ODonnell
01-29-2007, 06:29 AM
Wow....2206...damn...the kitty is flying.....

I used 13 deg angle full blasted line drive kitty into an explosive pile...was fun just doing the line drive....but the layout changes everytime you try (sad I know this) so after a while...it will take some luck.

What was this post all about in the beginning again?

Ron Nelson
01-29-2007, 08:14 AM
Thanks Alan.

oooh look, something shiny!

R. Alan Hester
01-29-2007, 11:44 AM
What was this post all about in the beginning again?

I think it was about an avatar being offensive because it elucidated an oft-noted link between Christianity and consumerism.

In the immortal words of Eric Cartman in his role as Dog the Bounty Hunter, “Go in Christ, Bra."

Alan

Yael Grauer
01-29-2007, 11:58 AM
It was so funny. It said, "Believe in Christ and get a PlayStation II."

Mike ODonnell
01-29-2007, 12:05 PM
Not even a PS3?? Damn.....(12 years of Catholic school and I am still in trouble...)

Now back to Kitty Cannon...&#^!.....1964 ft.....got that cat 149ft in the air....personal best! Quitting while ahead...

Allen Yeh
01-29-2007, 12:12 PM
Not even a PS3?? Damn.....(12 years of Catholic school and I am still in trouble...)

Now back to Kitty Cannon...&#^!.....1964 ft.....got that cat 149ft in the air....personal best! Quitting while ahead...

Sheesh I just can't seem to top 892!

Jamila Bey
01-29-2007, 10:05 PM
http://www.avatarist.com/avatars/Funny/Accept-Christ-Free-PS2.html

Here you go.

I imagined that it was just one unfunny soul who e-mailed me.... But I hang out around enough other boards where my evangelical heathenry is accepted and celebrated. So here's all about workin' the bod!

Allen Yeh
01-30-2007, 04:24 AM
http://www.avatarist.com/avatars/Funny/Accept-Christ-Free-PS2.html

Here you go.

I imagined that it was just one unfunny soul who e-mailed me.... But I hang out around enough other boards where my evangelical heathenry is accepted and celebrated. So here's all about workin' the bod!

That avatar makes me think of Buddy Christ...ha!

Robb Wolf
02-05-2007, 04:19 PM
I think that thing was Hiiiiiilararious...but I'm a certified asshole.

Ron Nelson
02-06-2007, 12:22 PM
There's a certification for assholes now?

When's the next cert? I'll present.