PDA

View Full Version : Bad posture with deadlift?

Harry Munro
06-22-2009, 03:51 AM
Does anyone else get a kind of temporary lordosis after (especially the following day) deadlifting? Also could any sort of similar posture issue be the result of strength imbalance between the hip extensors and flexors, or is it that one or the other is tight?

Steven Low
06-22-2009, 09:11 AM
Lordosis/extension of the lumbar spine is good. HYPERlordosis/hyperextension is bad. Flexion is also bad. Your lumbar spine should have the natural slight C curve.

And no one ever got any problems from having too strong hip extensors (glutes/hamstrings) although too strong quads and hip flexors can cause a lot of problems. Same thing with the back and shoulders....

Now too tight muscles can be a problem anywhere, but strength imbalances are generally only 99.99% bad with the muscles on the front of the body.

Tom Vale
08-30-2009, 10:10 PM
And no one ever got any problems from having too strong hip extensors (glutes/hamstrings) although too strong quads and hip flexors can cause a lot of problems. Same thing with the back and shoulders....

I thought Rock Climbers / Swimmers could suffer postural issues due to strong back / shoulders? I don't mean to nitpick, I am simply curious (I'm new to all of this haha).

Garrett Smith
08-31-2009, 04:35 AM
www.egwellness.com .

Ever since I've been working on my posture more, my recovery from heavy DLs has been 10x as good. FWIW.

Harry Munro
08-31-2009, 04:22 PM
Will investigate, thanks Garrett. Also I've been doing the lunge stretch at the end of each workout for a good while now and have been moving and standing much better because of it.