PDA

View Full Version : PED testing at the CF Games

Gant Grimes
06-23-2009, 12:43 PM
http://games2009.crossfit.com/thegames/games-09-steroid-testing.html#comments

This was announced a couple days ago. Naturally, the discussion over there turned into:

http://coromandal.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/monty_python_witch-701441.jpg

Does anybody in the know have an idea
* what drugs they're testing for
* what protocols they're using
* what the tolerances are
* who's collecting the samples and how
* who's doing the testing (it's sponsored by Skins, but who's doing it?)
* when the competitors found out?

Just curious.

Steven Low
06-23-2009, 12:54 PM
DT and NukeMarine or whatever made good points. I'm not sure why people were all piling on to basically flame them. And some of the fairly common names I see on CF boards or higher profile guys in the community at that. Dumb.

And no one knows what they're testing for anything like that.... that could be a good thing or a very, very, very bad thing considering that "illegal/legal" is not a good way of calling it.

Gant Grimes
06-23-2009, 01:41 PM
DT and NukeMarine or whatever made good points.

That's what I thought, which shows how out of touch I apparently am.

Any sports organization that did its own PED testing would be heavily--and rightfully--criticized. If CF wants to consider itself a sport (that's for another day), they're going to get questions like this. Who's the lab? What are we testing for? Etc. If it's on the up and up, these questions are easily answered.

Dave Van Skike
06-23-2009, 02:01 PM
That's what I thought, which shows how out of touch I apparently am.

Any sports organization that did its own PED testing would be heavily--and rightfully--criticized. If CF wants to consider itself a sport (that's for another day), they're going to get questions like this. Who's the lab? What are we testing for? Etc. If it's on the up and up, these questions are easily answered.

Similar slap fight about a SM contest that Rainier crossfit is putting on. They are "drug testing" but because they are not affiliated with WADA or any other semi respected agency that has due process and legit procedure, people(righfully) are nervous. will the results be publiciized, put on the website? Is the lab accredited in anyway, is their chain of custody for the samples?

Most important is that they couldn't actuall say what was being tested for.

ferisntance...say an athlete tests positive for an amphetimine because he's taking ritalin, or tests positiuve for a metabolite of Winstrol because she's sampled an old bottle of Hot Stuff or someone tests positve for cannabis becuase they are a big ole pot smoker.... these are legit concerns that anyone entering such a contest should consider, regardless of their hormonal profile.

Gant Grimes
06-23-2009, 02:34 PM
an old bottle of Hot Stuff

I remember that. It was the only OTC supp (before creatine) that actually did something. Go figure.

these are legit concerns that anyone entering such a contest should consider, regardless of their hormonal profile.

Oooh, are we talking about altering the hormonal milieu?

Dave Van Skike
06-23-2009, 03:32 PM
I was thinking more of my hormonal malaise...

Heavy events training plus Heavy drinking plus Light sleeping is going to have me crying at home over a pint of Chubby Hubby and reruns of Caroline and the City if'n I'm not careful....

Patrick Donnelly
06-23-2009, 03:38 PM
Does anybody in the know have an idea
* what drugs they're testing for
* what protocols they're using
* what the tolerances are
* who's collecting the samples and how
* who's doing the testing (it's sponsored by Skins, but who's doing it?)
* when the competitors found out?

Just curious.
That info certainly hasn't been made public. Those who are "in the know" won't be talking either, unfortunately. That's why they're let in the know, because they have the control on their mouths keep other people out of it.

But whatever. Let CrossFit do as CrossFit does.

Dave, have you tried the B&J's New York Super Fudge Chunk? Best of the flavors I've had.

Mike ODonnell
06-23-2009, 03:55 PM
an old bottle of Hot Stuff

...or Ultimate Orange.

Garrett Smith
06-23-2009, 05:43 PM
The only test that can truly be done "on-site" is the basic recreational drug urine dipstick. Everything else (anabolics) requires being sent to a lab. GH and EPO (probably pretty good drugs for CF) are hard for even WADA to test for, much less the run-of-the-mill labs.

Drug testing organizations and (real) sports organizations are all pretty crooked, suppressing positive tests as they see fit, or enforcing them for revenge motives. "In-house" testing and enforcement is highly suspect from the get-go.

Patrick Donnelly
06-23-2009, 08:57 PM
The only test that can truly be done "on-site" is the basic recreational drug urine dipstick. Everything else (anabolics) requires being sent to a lab. GH and EPO (probably pretty good drugs for CF) are hard for even WADA to test for, much less the run-of-the-mill labs.

Drug testing organizations and (real) sports organizations are all pretty crooked, suppressing positive tests as they see fit, or enforcing them for revenge motives. "In-house" testing and enforcement is highly suspect from the get-go.

Yep. We know.

Garrett Smith
06-24-2009, 06:54 AM
The amounts of $$ and reputation that would stand to be lost from any big-name CFers testing positive is huge.

I'd say that only a couple of nobodys finishing towards the very bottom will get "caught", if that.