PDA

View Full Version : What's your #1 Grip Exercise?

Grissim Connery
06-25-2009, 09:42 AM
If you had to pick one grip exercise, what would it be? The idea being that it has the most carryover to every other grip challenge.

side question: how do common feats of grip strength carryover to hand balancing?

Dave Van Skike
06-25-2009, 10:17 AM
If you had to pick one grip exercise, what would it be? The idea being that it has the most carryover to every other grip challenge.

side question: how do common feats of grip strength carryover to hand balancing?

grip is weird. I can fat bar dead well but my axle clean suckz...I'd probably say heavy farmers walk is about one of the best things you can do.

honestly, axle rows have carried over to a lot of things for me...although Chinese Democracy wasn't worth the wait.

Grissim Connery
06-25-2009, 12:09 PM
honestly, axle rows have carried over to a lot of things for me...although Chinese Democracy wasn't worth the wait.

i've found that vince neils inspire most of my athletic endeavors

Derek Simonds
06-26-2009, 07:38 AM
Axle rows, now that is funny...

Thinking about one grip exercise since I don't have a fat bar I guess it would have to be have towel P/U's. I just really don't know which grip exercise has the most carry over. I love pinch grip training and rolling thunder DL's. Rolling thunder DL's smoke my entire forearm and grip so I am guessing that is similar to the axle lifts.

Adolfo Riveron
06-26-2009, 10:39 AM
max reps sets of kipping pullups smoke my forearms and leave me gasping for air

Dave Van Skike
06-27-2009, 03:13 PM
I like Derek's idea. rolling thunder is really taxing without much using much weight at all...probably a good economy of effort. a bunch of rest pause singles at 135-150 would probably give good carryover to a lot of fat bar lifts.

George Mounce
06-28-2009, 06:34 AM
One thing I liked to do as well at the gym was put together multiple plates and hold them out in front of me or to the sides like the cheese block holds at the strongman events or the two towers. Pretty much anything that requires a strong link in the kinetic chain with the hands being the linking portion is going to work grip. Heck do a deadlift then hold it isometrically in the up position as long as possible, your forearms are going to be absolutely toast if you do that for sets.

Thinking more about this I often like to hold KBs out to the side for sets.

Paul McKirdy
06-30-2009, 06:40 AM
Involves unique equipment, but walking with the rickshaw is great for grip. Especially using the largest grip which is 2-3/8".

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=114&pid=1354

Grissim Connery
06-30-2009, 09:43 AM
The more i am experimenting, the more i am finding that my weak link is my wrists. i've started bending and doing slow sledge hammer descents (where you hold your arm out straight in front and then lower the hammer to touch your face). i guess i'll try a wrist roller.

i'm normally against such specific work, but it seems necessary now. i've been doing ballet drills to get my feet stronger now as well hah.

Paul McKirdy
08-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Hammers are probably the number two slot here.

I do twists though not the upright to nose thing.

1) Arm stretched out to side in half an iron cross other hand on hip or whatever. Hammer starts perpendicular to the deck. Roll forward to parallel with deck pointing forward, then roll back to parallel with the deck pointing rearward. Very slow light high reps at first. Warm up with some type of curl, full twist standing dumbbell curls are best warmup for me.

2) Arm at side bent 90 degrees pointing forward other arm on hip or whatever. Hammer starts perpendicular to the deck, roll outward to parallel to deck pointing outward, then roll inward to parallel to deck pointing inward. Same cautions.

These built up my wrists as well. Feel a lot stronger on the bench and press wrist\grip wise since starting them.

---

Mike ODonnell
08-03-2009, 08:56 PM
I usually just do it with deadlifts....and even rack holds (heavy than normal).

The last time I "smoked" my forearms was doing high rep hang cleans (95lbs) for like 30 reps long ago.....that hurt.

Paul McKirdy
08-04-2009, 09:06 AM
haha! funny you should mention that, this past Saturday i did my first way overloaded only 3" from lock out absolute maximum "what the hell can i actually stand up with in my hands" lift in a rack. i wouldn't call it a rack pull, just a maximum stand up and hold for as long as possible. did 4 reps 2 alternated one way 2 alternated the other, and yea on Monday my forearms were still banging. and grip today feels very good. going to start incorporating these at a minimum of every two weeks, i look at it as keeping the CNS way ahead of where the hell we are going. stiff legged DLs after that felt like nothing. amazing stuff.

nothing better than getting better.

Kevin Perry
08-04-2009, 09:34 AM
Using a thicker bar seems to be number 1 for me right now. Going to build a new pullup bar and use a thick bar for this purpose.

John Alston
08-04-2009, 06:48 PM
Anyone have any experience with these? am thinking about adding them to my paltry home gym
http://fatgripz.com/
http://fatgripz.com/images/fatgripz_single.jpg

Derek Simonds
08-05-2009, 06:46 AM
I hadn't seen those but I just ordered a pair. I want a fat bar but haven't been willing to spend the extra couple of hundred dollars. If they suck I will send them back!

John Alston
08-05-2009, 07:10 AM
I hadn't seen those but I just ordered a pair. I want a fat bar but haven't been willing to spend the extra couple of hundred dollars. If they suck I will send them back!

Sweet. I am thinking about ordering too. Birthday present to self.

Paul McKirdy
08-06-2009, 07:39 AM

Can't wait to hear about them. I have been thinking about something like this, but I would want them to spin freely, now you are talking ultimate wrist and grip stability... I have been thinking of building up something with PVC pipe that will be thicker around the bar of course and purposely spin about it easily. Like the rolling thunder, but able to applied anywhere. Ok, end of random thoughts. :)

John Alston
08-06-2009, 10:57 AM
Can't wait to hear about them. I have been thinking about something like this, but I would want them to spin freely, now you are talking ultimate wrist and grip stability... I have been thinking of building up something with PVC pipe that will be thicker around the bar of course and purposely spin about it easily. Like the rolling thunder, but able to applied anywhere. Ok, end of random thoughts. :)

What I like about these is that I think I could put them on my DBS at home which all my home weights. Suddenly pressing he 60lb might not be so easy nor would be cleaning it. Someone who gets them can let me know the dimensions so I cam see I'd they'll fit since I can't find that on their page?

Derek Simonds
08-07-2009, 06:53 AM
I have a rolling thunder and carabiner setup and it is just absolutely painful for grip work. I love it. I am finding out that my left hand is substantially weaker with the RT. Which is weird since all the other grip stuff I do both hands are pretty close. The other thing about the RT is that if you have big ole mitts I think it is easier.

Allen Yeh
08-07-2009, 07:10 AM
http://www.lynxpt.com/

These aren't anywhere as thick as those other grips but I like using these and they increase the grip a little bit. I originally saw them in an article by Eric Cressey so I figured why not? I really like them if you only have a thin bar for pullups and throw these bad boys on there. I've been using them for DL's and rows as well.

Mike ODonnell
08-10-2009, 08:54 AM
Also suitcase bar lifts (1 arm) are fun for working individual hand grips.....or 1 arm hangs from a p/u bar.....

Derek Simonds
08-13-2009, 03:45 PM
Anyone have any experience with these? am thinking about adding them to my paltry home gym
http://fatgripz.com/
http://fatgripz.com/images/fatgripz_single.jpg

Mine just showed up in the mail. Very interesting they are a hard semi flexible plastic that doesn't seem to compress too much. I am going to do some stuff with them in the morning. First glance I am concerned about their longevity and second when they were made it looks like they were molded and then someone took a knife and cut the opening so that you can slip it around a bar.

They do feel good so it should be fun to use them.

John Alston
08-13-2009, 04:04 PM
Hmm, ok, please share how they seem to hold up. What'er the dimensions?

Derek Simonds
08-14-2009, 08:33 AM
Dang I forgot to measure. They fit perfectly inside both sets of my DB's. One set is the solid cast style like you can buy anywhere and the other is a gym style set with metal handle and rubber covered weights made by Troy I think. I am nursing a pulled rhomboid so I didn't do anything crazy with them this morning. I cranked out 4 sets of 12 Zottman Curlz with the ole Fat Gripz and you no what it was tough. My forearms were on fire when I was done. So first run through they felt great in my hand and they worked for something simple, I am looking forward to good things with them.

My buddy had a hard time pulling them off the DB's when we were done so the fit is tight and secure.

Frank Needham
08-14-2009, 12:54 PM
About 30 years ago I used to paddle a whole bunch. Holding a racing paddle in your hands and pulling with it for a 10k flatwater race will crispify your hands, wrists and forearms, not to mention the rest of you. To this day I have great grip strength from the time I spent racing. I highly recommend it if you have access.

Dave Lemanczyk
08-16-2009, 09:39 AM
If I could only do one thingfor my grip it would be long distance bear crawls on a grass field. Doing them myself, I have noticed considerable overall improvement in my lower arms. Essentially it's because my hands are acting as my feet with the bear crawl. Pretty easy, no equipment necessary but it is a definite conditioner. Not for everybody.

For your side question on hand balancing...I have a strong feeling that bear crawls would carry over to hand balancing. The connecting factor is that both the bear crawl and the hand balance require the hands to act as weight bearers. I figure the stronger your body becomes weight bearing, the more improvement you can make hand balancing.

One last thing...I think hand balancing is incredible training but anyone who goes for it should definitely have a prerequisite level of upper body/core conditioning. There's a progression for everything. Hope this helps you.

John Alston
08-17-2009, 04:19 PM
Dang I forgot to measure. They fit perfectly inside both sets of my DB's. One set is the solid cast style like you can buy anywhere and the other is a gym style set with metal handle and rubber covered weights made by Troy I think. I am nursing a pulled rhomboid so I didn't do anything crazy with them this .

so they fit in hex cast dbs. Good to know.

Derek Simonds
08-18-2009, 03:54 AM
Official dimensions are 5" long and 2 1/8" wide.

John Alston
08-18-2009, 04:45 AM
I thought this was a family board... oh wait. Thanks for the info!

Aaron Gainer
08-18-2009, 08:55 PM
Farmers walk with thicker dumbbells or farmers handles!!

Winfield Featherston
08-21-2009, 10:01 AM
Regarding bear crawls, here's a possible variant: remember "wheelbarrow" races where someone holds your feet and you "run" along the ground on your hands? You can get a partner and take turns being the wheelbarrow for some specified distance or time.

Another grip exercise for those in a gym without a fat bar: load up one end of an oly bar and grab it by the thick end (between the plates and the end of the bar). Hold for time with the other end on the ground or in a rack, then switch hands. Pretty simple, but effective.

John Alston
08-25-2009, 07:16 PM
Got the fat grips. Damn! My 60lb db is tougher now but the 85lb'er... these are good. Hopefully a real test with them tomorro.w

Derek Simonds
08-29-2009, 05:32 AM
John I tried Farmers Walks with 85 LB DB's and the gripz. No can do. I can pick them up and hold them but no way I can make 50 M's right now. I used 65 Lb'ers and made 50 M's set them down took 3 breathes and picked them back up for the return trip. That was plenty good today. I will work up from there.

Andew Cattermole
08-29-2009, 09:47 PM
Brickie Labor for a Contract
That or Stone Mason work

John Alston
09-12-2009, 07:58 AM
John I tried Farmers Walks with 85 LB DB's and the gripz. No can do. I can pick them up and hold them but no way I can make 50 M's right now. I used 65 Lb'ers and made 50 M's set them down took 3 breathes and picked them back up for the return trip. That was plenty good today. I will work up from there.

Same here. I haven't tried to take the 85s anywhere in with these on b/c I am in an apt and a drop would be bad. Just lifting them with the "gripz" is solid work.
Threw the gripz on some dumbells at the end of a squat/RDL/pushpress workout this week. 3 sets of 8 hammer curls and was aching by the end - with 20lb dbs. Practice/development needed here....

Tony Ferous
10-10-2009, 02:56 AM
Whats the verdict on the Gripz?!!
I tried making a pair with some foam tubing, im sure itll break mid lift though..

Derek Simonds
10-10-2009, 04:28 AM
So far thumbs up from me. I use them for mostly curl and press and farmers walks and they are holding up good. They certainly smoke your forearms.

Ben Kimmerle
11-03-2009, 06:13 PM
Not really do-able in the gym, but if you have access to a climbing wall (especially a bouldering wall) get on that and you'll have friend forearms within 30 minutes to where you can barely untie your shoe laces. The bouldering wall is a low wall, no ropes or harness needed, and it's pretty much grip-only climbing. You move across, not up, and as you get better you move to inclines and inverts. Crazy sh!t.

Chris Robinson
02-02-2010, 07:08 PM
Derek,

What are your thoughts on the Fat Gripz now that you've had them for almost 6 months? Worth $39.00?

Derek Simonds
02-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Yep, I would spend it again. I still use them. I will use them on curlz, rack pulls farmers walks basically anything. I haven't pressed with them yet but all pulls. They are holding up just fine.

John Alston
02-02-2010, 07:18 PM
Derek,

What are your thoughts on the Fat Gripz now that you've had them for almost 6 months? Worth $39.00?

I leave one on my 60lb db all the time. Clean and press, rows mostly.

Matt Wichlinski
03-21-2010, 08:03 AM
it might not be perfect, but it works well for me, and its really cheap for a pair of thick revolving DB handles. I got a threaded 3/4" pipe about 18" long or so, another pipe about 5-6 inches long that is 2 inches thick. I put the shorter, fatter pipe on top of the skinnier one, a bunch of standard plates on the remaining 6" either side of the shorter pipe and screw on an end cap to keep the plates secured. It works great as a revolving thick handle db.

Here is another video, I use this barbell with well over 300 lbs and it works fine, if you are lifting significantly more than that, invest in a good thick bar if you want one.

http://www.youtube.com/user/mwich40?feature=mhw4#p/u/10/spiS9oAQw8w

Gant Grimes
03-21-2010, 07:39 PM
Find a well-conditioned 220 pounder and put him in a gi. Then fight with him for five minutes. Repeat several times that day over a few months.

Dean Saunders
04-04-2010, 06:38 AM
I don't usually train often enough to justify spending time on my grip, but occasionally rope pullups or pullups with Metolious rock rings. I've been doing rope/towel pullups for a few years with a bw that was nudging 110kgs at one point, since lost a bit, but as a result my grip seems to work ok until my final max rep(s) on pulls or max deadlift

Jack Hunckler
09-12-2010, 08:07 AM
I agree with Derek. I've had my set (Fat Gripz) for eight months. They do hold up really well and are certainly worth the price.
I just found this site. I've been too busy to think about posting anything, but I couldn't let this go by without putting in my two cents.

:cool: Mephisto (http://www.shoestores.com)

John Alston
09-12-2010, 08:59 AM
Yeah crap I need to use these more. I never stick with grip work regularly for long enough...

Eric Egan
09-25-2010, 01:51 PM
I ran a chain thru a 1.5 inch metal pipe and then put 2,2 inch by 6 inches long pvc pipes over the metal bar and then hung it from My rafters for pull ups. it works like rolling thunder pull ups, only cheaper.

Jarod Barker
10-06-2010, 11:16 PM
I had a chance to do some pullups and holds using a training board today. My forearms were on fire. Not exactly a grip specific tool, but it would definitely increase your grip strength.

On a similar note, one of my favorite grip exercises is I have a set of climbing holds mounted across a rafter. Doing pullups with a pinch grip or even just hanging with a pinch grip really tests your grip. After your first set, the rest are very short.

Justin Arnold
10-27-2010, 09:29 PM
10 years of bouldering.

Only problems are the occasional tendon injury and having forearms so big your upper arms look more scrawney than they already are (think popeye).