PDA

View Full Version : Spicing up my greens

Matthieu Hertilus
07-01-2009, 12:11 PM
I was hoping to get some ideas on how to spice up spinach leaves and brocoli paleo style. I have a big bowl of them at every meal, but there's only so much I can take of the bland taste. I used to use hummus because I loved the texture and taste until I discovered how far it was from being Paleo. Any suggestions?

Mike ODonnell
07-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Buy yourself a spice rack (full of spices of course) and try out different combinations....also you could try custom dressings using mixtures of olive oil, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, eggs, or whatever. A little sea salt makes anything taste better too.

Matthieu Hertilus
07-01-2009, 01:13 PM
what would you recommend in regards to something with texture? one of the big reasons i loved hummus was that it was a spread I could add all sorts of things to (olive oil, flax meal, cinnamon, basil, parsley, etc). I guess what I'm asking is are there any good "spreads" you recommend or anything close to that I can make to get that mouthfeel?

Mike ODonnell
07-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Texture? Like guacamole.....almond butter....or a coconut based spread? May want to find a whole foods and go walk around to see all that is out there.

I'm sure you won't die if you are 90% Paleo either.....well I take that back, everyone dies at some point...just probably won't kill you anytime soon.

Matthieu Hertilus
07-01-2009, 06:01 PM
Good point. Those are the "types" I was looking for so I'll do some exploring and see what I can find

Garrett Smith
07-01-2009, 09:33 PM
High-quality butter. It's too good and too good for people to be excluded simply based on Paleo rules.

Derek Simonds
07-02-2009, 04:43 AM
Wait just one minute butter isn't Paleo? Aw crap...

Jay Cohen
07-02-2009, 05:10 AM
Bacon, AND don't say anything about Paleo.

God created the Pig to provide us Bacon, it transcends Zone/Paleo, whatever you're into for the moment.

Aaron Austin
07-02-2009, 05:54 AM
I like Pesto too. Easy to make in big batches and damn tasty in my opinion. I make it using spinach most of the time instead of basil just to save some $$$.

Aaron

Xuan Mai Ho
07-02-2009, 06:17 AM
Tahini sauces are good on broccoli.

I've recently gotten a little bit sick of plain ol' steamed broccoli. So, (a riff on mashed / pureed cauliflower), I've been pureeing broccoli with butter and spices.

Scott Kustes
07-02-2009, 07:05 AM
Second on tahini sauces. Equal parts tahini and tamari or tahini, garlic, and juice from a lemon. If you're really ambitious, carmelize an onion in lard or butter and add it to your greens with one of the sauces. I do this with kale all the time.

Neill Smith
07-02-2009, 07:25 AM
I eat on average two nights per week with 1 pound of steamed broccoli:

1 tablespoon tahini
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 tablespoon olive or sesame oil
1 teaspoon crushed ginger
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
salt & pepper to taste

Matthieu Hertilus
07-02-2009, 08:13 AM
High-quality butter. It's too good and too good for people to be excluded simply based on Paleo rules.

When you say "high quality butter" are you talking about almond, cashew, and peanut butters and/or organic, grass-fed conventional butter?

One last question about the hummus (you can tell I love the stuff): even though it contains ingredients such as "soybeal oil" and "canola oil" wouldn't some of the additives I mentioned previously (cinnamon, flax meal, olive oil, garlic, parsley) turn this into a healthy choice of topping or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

Neill Smith
07-02-2009, 10:55 AM
One last question about the hummus (you can tell I love the stuff): even though it contains ingredients such as "soybeal oil" and "canola oil" wouldn't some of the additives I mentioned previously (cinnamon, flax meal, olive oil, garlic, parsley) turn this into a healthy choice of topping or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

Just make your own. It's simple, and then the only non-paleo ingredient will be the beans.