PDA

View Full Version : Sprint Speed workout

Khalid Khalil
07-12-2009, 11:15 AM
So, I don't have a trainer or a club to train with. I'm using just myself and setting up my workout is hard enough-So if you guys can tell me if this is a decent workout set up.

My goal is to get quicker on my starts for the 100m and 200m. My top end speed is equal to many kids who are quicker then me (because my start is really bad)

It would be:

Monday: Sprinting
Tuesday: Upper body weight room, high weights-low reps
Weds - Sprinting
Thurs - Legs weight room, high weights-low reps
Friday- Sprinting?

So I know what to do in the weight room - weight wise, but is it fine to do full body each day? high weights low reps?, and also what kinda workouts would I have for Monday,Wednesday and Friday? I'm so use to being in the season and doing conditioning training. Which isn't what I need now because everyday I ride 8 miles on my road bike regardless because of class and stuff. Which is why I dropped Friday as my running distance day.

So to sum it up, instead of Monday workouts being stuff like
100m
200m
300m
400m
300m
200m
100m

What can I do to increase speed and not condition?

Brandon Oto
07-12-2009, 11:19 AM
Short distance, full rest, work on technique. If you're working the start I'd keep 'em very short; maybe 100m and under.

Oly in the gym wouldn't be a bad idea.

Khalid Khalil
07-12-2009, 11:53 AM
If I increase my workouts during weeks passing by, do I increase the distance or increase the amount of times I do each sprint?

also Oly in the gym? What exactly do you mean?

Chris H Laing
07-12-2009, 05:48 PM
also Oly in the gym? What exactly do you mean?

The olympic lifts. Snatch and Clean and Jerk. How can you be a member of this forum without knowing what the olympic lifts are?

The rest of your program looks pretty good, but I would change wednesday to a rest day while also keeping saturday and sunday rest days.

And as for sprint distances, I personally like really short sprints. My favorite sprint sessions are either 8x50m or 10x40m. For your goals I would rest completely between sprints.

Bob Overstreet
07-12-2009, 07:05 PM
The olympic lifts. Snatch and Clean and Jerk. How can you be a member of this forum without knowing what the olympic lifts are?.

Oh Wise One! Not everyone was born knowing everything like you. :rolleyes:

People learn things at all ages, and join a forum like this to see what else is out there. Perhaps consider that before dissing the next person that asks a legit question.

Brandon Oto
07-12-2009, 08:55 PM
If I increase my workouts during weeks passing by, do I increase the distance or increase the amount of times I do each sprint?

In you case, mostly the latter.

Chris H Laing
07-13-2009, 08:36 AM
The olympic lifts. Snatch and Clean and Jerk. How can you be a member of this forum without knowing what the olympic lifts are?

Khalid, I apologize if this offended you. It was not my intention. I do think it would be a good idea for you to explore the site some, however. Check out the exercise section and the videos. You'll learn a lot of information that you can use to help improve your sprinting.

Scott Kustes
07-14-2009, 10:30 AM
Olys are unlikely to help with the start of your sprints. Even the speed of an Olympic lift can't come close to the speed of contraction at the sound of the gun or on each stride. Heavy deadlifts will increase your strength and your sprinting will help you convert that extra strength to power. I find squats destroy my ability to sprint because they make me so sore.

Very short distances. Very long rests. Not even approaching 100m sprints. Stick to 20-40m out of blocks. I rarely do more than 6-8 reps, about 5 minutes between. No more than 10 reps in a session. This is very taxing CNS work. FYI...you're training acceleration, not speed (just a note on your title). No sprint work on back-to-back days.

If you are using blocks, here's something that helped me get out of the blocks quicker, to the tune of 0.2 second 100m improvement in the course of 2 weeks. Push back into the blocks with BOTH feet instead of just the front one. Get a quick stretch reflex on your rear leg (you'll load the calf, Achille's, and hamstring (slightly)) and then quickly turn it back over. Doing this, I feel like I'm coming out of the blocks with a rocket up my ass.

Usain Bolt demonstrating (http://speedendurance.com/2009/01/18/usain-bolt-training-regimen-video-the-start/)

What times are you running in the 100 and 200?

Khalid Khalil
07-14-2009, 12:02 PM
I'm 16 now, I've been running since 8th grade. But I was also a linemen at the time, I really started to become a sprinter sophmore year, and my PR in the 100m was a 12.0 and 200m was a 24.9 by the beginning of the summer (with mono) and I got a bad ankle injury that would carry over in the winter until I could run again. This last year was my junior year and I finished the year off with a 12.2 (beginning of the season, after that I didnt run the 100m as much) and a 24.5 200m

It's never been my top speed as a problem, I've seen videos of me taking off and being dead last in a 100m until the 60m mark, where my top end speed would quickly overrun (and if there was a meter or two I would've won) the other sprinters coming in at 11.5-11.7.

My starts have gotten alright, but it seems I'm not explosive enough. I stopped lifting weights on my legs freshmen year after knee injuries. So I'm just getting back into weights for my legs, squating around 350 8 times, 3 reps.

I'm also asking if its wise to do full body high weights low rep workouts
Tuesday and Thursday?

And also I heard from a source its best to sprint for a minimum of 8 seconds.
And I'm just sorta confused as to what I should be doing say for an example

I keep upping my workouts each week in order to benefit from it.

Monday week 1: would be something like 50mx10
as an example

Would then my Monday week 2 be:
50mx15

or would it be:

60mx10

Which increases? And also what workouts would fit Monday, Wednesday and Friday?

Monday more speed, weds more acceleration Friday ???

or all the same similar routine?

Also I don't know if I'd benefit from Wednesdays off, last summer I was training 5-6 days a week conditioning. But of course I'll take advice from people with more experience.

PS. I know what Olympic lifts are, he just said "Oly in the gym helps"
Never really called Olympic lifts oly, lol.

I thought he said Ollie when I read it, and I skateboard too-so I was a bit confused.

Brandon Oto
07-14-2009, 12:28 PM
Olys are unlikely to help with the start of your sprints. Even the speed of an Olympic lift can't come close to the speed of contraction at the sound of the gun or on each stride.

I mentioned it as a way to develop power from a dead stop. My understanding is that after that in the sprint, you're mainly banking on reflex speed (plyo or bounding type of stuff) -- but out of the blocks it seems like it would be relevant.

Obviously you'd also need to work on the skill of reacting to the gun and the acceleration technique and so on, but that's just stuff to practice.

No?

Scott Kustes
07-14-2009, 01:02 PM
Khalid, I'd shorten the distances if what you want to work on is explosiveness off the line. Your acceleration phase is only going to last maybe 30m before you're fully upright and into max velocity. I think 15 reps is probably too much to give 100% effort. Like I said, I'd stick below 10 reps. Quality over quantity is the game here.

Now, you're 16 and I'm nearly 30, so I have no way to know how you recover from these workouts, but the key is to make sure your effort is high on each rep. If I go out to do 8x30-40m from blocks and after 5, I can tell it's just not there, I stop. There are days for pushing through and days for calling it a day. When doing speed/acceleration work, it's a day for calling it a day.

If you're starting to close the gap after 60m, it sounds like your speed-endurance is good for your speed. Everyone else is slowing down more than you are. I assume you're in off-season now, so it's time to focus heavily on speed. Some other workouts I do to work max speed are:
- Flying 30-50m (30-50m @ 100% with a 10m run-in)
- 20m Sprint-Float (Five 20m zones, 10m run-in, sprint hard the 1st, float the 2nd, sprint hard the 3rd, float the 4th, sprint hard the last)...basically learning to get to top speed and then relax while maintaining (i.e., don't slow down on the "float," just stop pushing to accelerate).

Do you have access to a hill with a very slight incline (like 3-5% grade)? Uphill and downhill sprints can help with speed as well, but not on a steep hill. A steep hill will alter your stride too much.

What are you planning to do on your lifting days?

I mentioned it as a way to develop power from a dead stop. My understanding is that after that in the sprint, you're mainly banking on reflex speed (plyo or bounding type of stuff) -- but out of the blocks it seems like it would be relevant.

Obviously you'd also need to work on the skill of reacting to the gun and the acceleration technique and so on, but that's just stuff to practice.

No?
It's not going to be detrimental for sure. Just not sure how much carry-over one will actually see. If strength and power are the limiting factor (which for a 16-year old, they might be), some improvement could be made here. I think general improvement of the posterior chain through low-rep, 85%+ 1RM deadlifts and general sprinting workouts will give the biggest bang for the buck given the highly technical demands of learning the O-lifts and the specificity of training the CNS to fire in sprinting.

Khalid Khalil
07-14-2009, 01:59 PM
Yeah Scott I have access to a hill with a incline and its noticeable but not to the point where it alters my stride. Though the hill is well over 100m, its about 170m-210m (also its a road)

In the weightroom I've decided to work on upper body tuesdays and lower bodys thursdays, because I'm also biking to classes (summer college course) 8 miles minimum daily. And I also wanna keep my sprinting days strong on mon-wed-fri.

Upperbody workouts are all high weights and low reps, each week I try to add 10 pounds also, and work from there.

3 reps of bench presses, 8 times each or on days I mix it up and start high and bench 5 times, and then each rep I add 10 pounds and next rep would be 4 times benched, and keep it going until I get to over my maxout limit and doing 1-2 presses on that. I just went from last weeks maxout at 185 to 205 today.

Then I do a curled bar crazy eights, where its high weight and I curl 8 times a small distance to my chest, then 8 half way, then 8 curls from my arm fully extended down to curling the bar all the way to my neck.
3 reps

Also I do dips and pull ups. And I work a fair amount with dumbbells (40-50lbs) flys, etc. Usually I use dumbbells for my shoulders.

My lower body consists of squats, and a machine that works on my hamstring. Also leg presses and cleaners (at times).

I don't remember the name off the top of my head, but I use a bench bar with weights and take it all the way down with my legs straight (so its like im trying to touch my toes) for 3 seconds then back up, 8 times, 3 reps.

lungs are implemented in my drills during sprinting days.

I try to do core workouts at night also.

Brandon Oto
07-14-2009, 03:20 PM
It's not going to be detrimental for sure. Just not sure how much carry-over one will actually see. If strength and power are the limiting factor (which for a 16-year old, they might be), some improvement could be made here. I think general improvement of the posterior chain through low-rep, 85%+ 1RM deadlifts and general sprinting workouts will give the biggest bang for the buck given the highly technical demands of learning the O-lifts and the specificity of training the CNS to fire in sprinting.

I'd buy that. For sure in any case I wouldn't be shooting for the full lifts; power cleans or the like are probably just fine. (Maybe not hang though, the angles from the floor seem more pertinent to the sprint start.) Just musing though.

Steven Low
07-14-2009, 07:21 PM
Listen to what Scott Kustes is saying. :p

Get the strength up, and work short sprints <70-80m. Full rest

Scott Kustes
07-15-2009, 08:23 AM
Yeah Scott I have access to a hill with a incline and its noticeable but not to the point where it alters my stride. Though the hill is well over 100m, its about 170m-210m (also its a road)
You don't have to run the whole hill. ;-) Just mark off 40m and do 8-10. I usually do 1 up, then 1 down, then 1 up, etc till I get my reps in. Full recovery between reps. This isn't speed-endurance work.

...Lifting stuff...
Seems a reasonable workout volume, though I'd stick with the compound exercises and ditch the isolation stuff. Deadlifts, squats (depending on if you don't get too sore/tired from them), romanian deadlifts (sounds like that's what you're describing with your "touch your toes" exercise), bench, overhead press, pullups, dips. No need to make this complicated. Up to 5 sets of up to 5 reps, 5:00 or so between sets for full recovery.

Back in the day, I used to do what you call Crazy Eights. We did them as 7 reps and called them 21s. But they're unlikely to help your sprinting. That's a hypertrophy workout. You want to maximize strength with minimal gain in weight, i.e., high weight, low reps.

What's your squat and DL numbers?

Khalid Khalil
07-16-2009, 04:14 AM
You don't have to run the whole hill. ;-) Just mark off 40m and do 8-10. I usually do 1 up, then 1 down, then 1 up, etc till I get my reps in. Full recovery between reps. This isn't speed-endurance work.

Seems a reasonable workout volume, though I'd stick with the compound exercises and ditch the isolation stuff. Deadlifts, squats (depending on if you don't get too sore/tired from them), romanian deadlifts (sounds like that's what you're describing with your "touch your toes" exercise), bench, overhead press, pullups, dips. No need to make this complicated. Up to 5 sets of up to 5 reps, 5:00 or so between sets for full recovery.

Back in the day, I used to do what you call Crazy Eights. We did them as 7 reps and called them 21s. But they're unlikely to help your sprinting. That's a hypertrophy workout. You want to maximize strength with minimal gain in weight, i.e., high weight, low reps.

What's your squat and DL numbers?

not to sure about my DL, but my squat is at 350 now.
I just got back into squatting since freshmen year (which I squatted 325 maxout then)

So you're telling me when I'm benching I should do 5 sets of 5 presses and 5 minutes in between?

I've rarely ever done Cleaners, Olympic lifts, dead lifts. etc.

Scott Kustes
07-16-2009, 07:40 AM
Bodyweight?

I'm more interested in the deadlifting than the benching, squatting and overhead pressing (the upper body stuff is more supplemental). If you're squatting a lot, it will likely affect your ability to sprint the next day. Deadlift doesn't tank me like squats do. And no, not always 5x5. 3x2, 4x1, 5x5, 5x3, 2x4...mix up the weights and reps.

Steven Low
07-16-2009, 11:01 AM
Read this article:

http://www.dragondoor.com/cgi-bin/articles.pl?rm=mode3&articleid=269

This is where a lot of the concepts are coming from and may clear up some misconceptions you may have.

Khalid Khalil
07-16-2009, 03:02 PM
Bodyweight?

I'm more interested in the deadlifting than the benching, squatting and overhead pressing (the upper body stuff is more supplemental). If you're squatting a lot, it will likely affect your ability to sprint the next day. Deadlift doesn't tank me like squats do. And no, not always 5x5. 3x2, 4x1, 5x5, 5x3, 2x4...mix up the weights and reps.

I guess I have a bad feel for weights, apparently I can do more, I just maxed out at 4 squats of 435lbs at the end of todays workout.

I'm 5'11 184-185 lbs.

I'm not to concerned of getting peak sprinting times in training, as long as it doesnt effect what I get out the next day in my workouts, if my 100% that day isnt as top notched as a 100% in a meet day, I'm fine with that. I won't actually time myself sprinting until the end of august.

I'm still doing lighter weights then all this in cleans. I do like 105lbs cleans 8 times, 3 reps.

Just because the form is kinda foreign to me.

EDIT: to make it more clear, I'll only be concerned with what I'm doing in the weight room if it cuts down my sprinting overall. If it only makes it sore and harder the next day I'm ok.

Scott Kustes
07-16-2009, 05:54 PM
You should be concerned. If you're running is sub-par in training, the adaptation from your training is going to be minimal. If you can't hit top speed in training because your legs are destroyed, you're not progressing. Your strength is not your limiting factor. I'm 185lbs and squat about 80lbs less than you...yet I run 100m nearly a second faster.

You need to be focusing on training your CNS to fire harder and faster...that's going to happen with quality sprinting and plyometrics. Do you do any plyos?

I'll just reiterate that you're going to be better off with deadlifts than squats. Do with that what you will. More than a few real track coaches go with weight programs that are predominantly or entirely deadlifts in the weight room. Single leg lifts are also beneficial, possibly more so than the two-legged squat (since the first .1 seconds of the race when both legs drive into the blocks is the only time that both legs are pushing at the same time).

Khalid Khalil
07-16-2009, 08:15 PM
You should be concerned. If you're running is sub-par in training, the adaptation from your training is going to be minimal. If you can't hit top speed in training because your legs are destroyed, you're not progressing. Your strength is not your limiting factor. I'm 185lbs and squat about 80lbs less than you...yet I run 100m nearly a second faster.

You need to be focusing on training your CNS to fire harder and faster...that's going to happen with quality sprinting and plyometrics. Do you do any plyos?

I'll just reiterate that you're going to be better off with deadlifts than squats. Do with that what you will. More than a few real track coaches go with weight programs that are predominantly or entirely deadlifts in the weight room. Single leg lifts are also beneficial, possibly more so than the two-legged squat (since the first .1 seconds of the race when both legs drive into the blocks is the only time that both legs are pushing at the same time).

Could I possibly do both of them in a session? Are you saying the only leg workouts I should be doing is isolated muscle parts and dead lifts? Could you possibly walk me through what you would do in my position in the weight room for just clarification.

And I honestly have done plyometrics a few times in my life and that's it, I haven't found a system for it and a routine or anything--its not really implemented in my school sadly.

Steven Low
07-16-2009, 11:15 PM
Read this article:

http://www.dragondoor.com/cgi-bin/articles.pl?rm=mode3&articleid=269

This is where a lot of the concepts are coming from and may clear up some misconceptions you may have.

Dude, did you read this article?

This covers what Scott is talking about.

Matthias Becker
07-17-2009, 06:20 AM
Are you saying the only leg workouts I should be doing is isolated muscle parts and dead lifts?

He never talked about isolated muscle training. He talked about single leg training like for exmple bulgarian split squats.

Scott Kustes
07-17-2009, 11:27 AM
Could I possibly do both of them in a session? Are you saying the only leg workouts I should be doing is isolated muscle parts and dead lifts? Could you possibly walk me through what you would do in my position in the weight room for just clarification.

And I honestly have done plyometrics a few times in my life and that's it, I haven't found a system for it and a routine or anything--its not really implemented in my school sadly.
You're apparently very keen on squatting and quite opposed to giving it up. You can certainly do them both in a session. I just don't think you're going to get much benefit to your sprinting, which you claim is what you want to improve. I think you very well may decrease the quality of your sprinting workouts. Poor workouts are not going to translate into better track meets. Frankly, your program seems a bit broad for wanting to specialize in sprinting. Your strength is not lacking...your ability to convert that strength into power/speed is where you lack.

If what you really want to do is get faster, you can give up the squats and focus instead on deadlifts on gym days. My gym days are pretty much 100% deadlifts and a compound upper body exercise (bench or overhead press), plus some shoulder rehab, isolation type stuff (note that this is for rehab, not to improve my sprinting!).

Matthias nailed it. I don't mean leg curls and extensions. I mean single leg deadlifts, split squats, etc. No clue if they are actually helpful...just thinking through some ideas.

Actually, I haven't done any weight lifting in the past 6 weeks as I focused on my final push to next week's season-ending meet. In that time, my 100m time has dropped about 0.4 seconds. You don't have to be Ben Johnson with his 6x600 full squat to go fast. You need to learn to convert what strength you have more quickly. You're going to do that by sprinting at full intensity and adding some plyometrics. I use this program (http://www.tflinks.com/articles/training/a001.shtml?3) (START AT THE BEGINNING REGARDLESS OF WHAT LEVEL YOU THINK YOU ARE AT...VOICE OF EXPERIENCE: PLYOMETRICS CAN AND WILL DAMAGE YOU). There may be better programs out there, but this one has been good.

I also wouldn't go 5 days straight. I don't think you're 4th and 5th days are going to be very high quality compared to the others. Again, you possibly recover better than I do, given that you're half my age. But I think a 2-3 on, 1-off would do you better. Looking back over my notes, I rarely go more than 4 days of hard intensity in a week.

Did you read what Steven posted? Please do.

Khalid Khalil
07-17-2009, 03:35 PM
You're apparently very keen on squatting and quite opposed to giving it up. You can certainly do them both in a session. I just don't think you're going to get much benefit to your sprinting, which you claim is what you want to improve. I think you very well may decrease the quality of your sprinting workouts. Poor workouts are not going to translate into better track meets. Frankly, your program seems a bit broad for wanting to specialize in sprinting. Your strength is not lacking...your ability to convert that strength into power/speed is where you lack.

If what you really want to do is get faster, you can give up the squats and focus instead on deadlifts on gym days. My gym days are pretty much 100% deadlifts and a compound upper body exercise (bench or overhead press), plus some shoulder rehab, isolation type stuff (note that this is for rehab, not to improve my sprinting!).

Matthias nailed it. I don't mean leg curls and extensions. I mean single leg deadlifts, split squats, etc. No clue if they are actually helpful...just thinking through some ideas.

Actually, I haven't done any weight lifting in the past 6 weeks as I focused on my final push to next week's season-ending meet. In that time, my 100m time has dropped about 0.4 seconds. You don't have to be Ben Johnson with his 6x600 full squat to go fast. You need to learn to convert what strength you have more quickly. You're going to do that by sprinting at full intensity and adding some plyometrics. I use this program (http://www.tflinks.com/articles/training/a001.shtml?3) (START AT THE BEGINNING REGARDLESS OF WHAT LEVEL YOU THINK YOU ARE AT...VOICE OF EXPERIENCE: PLYOMETRICS CAN AND WILL DAMAGE YOU). There may be better programs out there, but this one has been good.

I also wouldn't go 5 days straight. I don't think you're 4th and 5th days are going to be very high quality compared to the others. Again, you possibly recover better than I do, given that you're half my age. But I think a 2-3 on, 1-off would do you better. Looking back over my notes, I rarely go more than 4 days of hard intensity in a week.

Did you read what Steven posted? Please do.

I'm really fine with switching up my workouts, I just mean I don't know how long 3 sets of deadlifts would take in a gym, like I have a big gap of time in there for what else is whats just confusing, but I think I can do the the single leg things. Sorry it was just hard decoding over all these posts what really needed to be done.

So what do you think my lift days should be? the school I attends weight room closes fridays and weekends

Monday - Sprint
Tuesday - Lift Upper
Wednesday - Rest
Thursday - Lift Lower
Friday - Ply
Saturday - 2 mile easy run???

Steven Low
07-17-2009, 04:14 PM
Khalid.

Read the link.

You're probably irritating everyone because you're not understanding simple concepts that are explained in there. If you don't read it, this thread will very soon get to the point where no one will want to help you.

Khalid Khalil
07-17-2009, 04:52 PM
Khalid.

Read the link.

You're probably irritating everyone because you're not understanding simple concepts that are explained in there. If you don't read it, this thread will very soon get to the point where no one will want to help you.

Read it, it made alot of sense now-- And I can see from the exampled workout they posted that deadlifts/ply's will actually take a fair amount of time, but also make it a hellvua intensity workout. And from that I'm assuming plyometrics are used during lifting for you guys? This will also be easier then running all over the gym, now I can stick to just one bar.

Scott, that workout you posted for ply training, following that from week one to week 10--do you do that during a lifting day or a sprinting day (or on a day by itself)? Or is that what you were saying you do after each set of deadlifts?

Scott Kustes
07-19-2009, 05:57 AM
It doesn't matter how LONG 3 sets of deadlits takes. It's about quality work, not time in the gym.

You could probably do something like:
Mon - Sprint
Tue - Lift (Deadlift + OH Press or Bench + possibly a few depth jumps after DL sets)
Wed - Sprint
Thur - Rest
Fri - Sprint
Sat - Plyo (on it's own day...these are hard on the legs)

Of course I have never actually SEEN you run and have no clue what it is that you need to do other than what you say you're numbers are. You also don't have to do the same thing every single week.

You might check out these other forums devoted to sprinting. Lots of people far more knowledgable than me over there:
http://www.elitetrack.com/forums/
http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/index.php
http://bearpowered.prophpbb.com/

Khalid Khalil
07-19-2009, 09:52 PM
It doesn't matter how LONG 3 sets of deadlits takes. It's about quality work, not time in the gym.

You could probably do something like:
Mon - Sprint
Tue - Lift (Deadlift + OH Press or Bench + possibly a few depth jumps after DL sets)
Wed - Sprint
Thur - Rest
Fri - Sprint
Sat - Plyo (on it's own day...these are hard on the legs)

Of course I have never actually SEEN you run and have no clue what it is that you need to do other than what you say you're numbers are. You also don't have to do the same thing every single week.

You might check out these other forums devoted to sprinting. Lots of people far more knowledgable than me over there:
http://www.elitetrack.com/forums/
http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/index.php
http://bearpowered.prophpbb.com/

Thats alot of great info Scott, sorry for the rough start I gave you and everyone in this thread haha. So you believe there's no need for two weight room days? I wanna know the purpose of that change but I will take your word for it being there, even if it is a personal preference (not assuming). The only recording I have of me running a 100m can be described fairly easily.

The gun goes off and I'm the slowest out the blocks, I'm in last place up until the 60 meter mark and I start to blaze past every sprinter up until the guy who was in first from the beginning (one of those "If there was 1 more meter in the race, he would've got him"). The case is always similar to that. My top speed is that of the top guys in my heat, just my start is the weakest out of all sprinters.

Scott Kustes
07-20-2009, 08:07 AM
I had the same problem in high school, also running around 180 or so. Pretty big for a high school sprinter. Have you ever thought of running the 200m or 400m instead?

And you don't have a need for a second weights day. You could do perhaps 3 weight sessions per 2 weeks instead of 2 per week, but your strength doesn't appear to be lacking (though I'm taking your word that those 435lb squats were full squats).

Khalid Khalil
07-21-2009, 01:53 PM
I had the same problem in high school, also running around 180 or so. Pretty big for a high school sprinter. Have you ever thought of running the 200m or 400m instead?

And you don't have a need for a second weights day. You could do perhaps 3 weight sessions per 2 weeks instead of 2 per week, but your strength doesn't appear to be lacking (though I'm taking your word that those 435lb squats were full squats).

Yeah they were full squats, and if those were the 415lbs was definitely full (I held it down for a bit longer as a test by a peer).

I was told my stride is big and good for the 400m but that's not my cup of tea, and I just got use to running the 200m, out of shape I wasn't doing to good, but always getting sub 25s I believe if I get more explosive I'll be easily sub 24s. I know how to float off the curve well and conserve energy for the last 100m.

I just always like to check up on my 100m. It's the only time I knew for sure.

That plyometrics workout, it says rest is 2 minutes, that's in between each set? so its not suppose to hurt, but you're doing it for effective and 100% bursts?

Khalid Khalil
07-21-2009, 04:11 PM
Is this a Scott's approved week? (haha):

Monday - Sprint
Tuesday - Plyometrics
Wednesday - Rest
Thursday - Weightroom (DL,Cleans, Bench Press, Curl Bar decline high 8, mid 8 and full curl from hip to neck 8)
Friday - Sprint

I was told to leave rest by you and another when doing plyometrics, and to cut down to 2 days sprinting and I parted them enough so I would feel energized for it.

Sounds good?

Scott Kustes
07-22-2009, 09:36 AM
Yeah, that looks good. I was going to come back and suggest dropping to two days of sprinting.

Weight room. Ditch the curls unless sculpting the guns is a top priority for you. It's worthless for your sprinting.

Plyos...2 minutes between sets. As you get into the higher intensity weeks, the rest periods drop. Just go with what it says.

Khalid Khalil
07-22-2009, 07:01 PM
Yeah, that looks good. I was going to come back and suggest dropping to two days of sprinting.

Weight room. Ditch the curls unless sculpting the guns is a top priority for you. It's worthless for your sprinting.

Plyos...2 minutes between sets. As you get into the higher intensity weeks, the rest periods drop. Just go with what it says.

Alright yeah that makes sense, and I mean--I'll do the curls I do like to keep the definition in my upperbody this way, and its kind of "If I have the time" kinda thing, I usually do it right before or after pullups which I try to get in even a few because it seems to help me in the long run.

It's not probably a bit edge on sprinting but it makes me feel fit during other activities haha. (Usually active to the point of cutting trees or transporting heavy objects)