PDA

View Full Version : Would your MMA weight room look like this?

Neal Winkler
01-28-2007, 04:00 PM
This is Chute Boxe's brand new weight room in their brand new training facility. Is this what you're ultimate MMA weight room would look like?

http://www.sherdog.com/_images/pictures/40/40037.jpg

Robb Wolf
01-29-2007, 09:26 AM
Yea...way too many free weights. Looks dangerous!

Cassidy Drake
01-29-2007, 01:28 PM
Well mine would definately be different. but they at least have some decent things. In the community of MMA it is still hard to convince some to leave their bodybuilding routines. One at a time I suppose.

Mike ODonnell
01-29-2007, 01:50 PM
I'm no MMA expert...but there is no room to run around and chase a chicken....I mean it worked for Rocky right??

Steve Liberati
01-29-2007, 02:20 PM
Weight room sure looks purr-tey (pretty) for such a tough and demanding sport....

At least one can use the mirrors to marvel at the PUMP in 'My Bulging BI's".

Greg Everett
01-29-2007, 02:57 PM
What I will give them is those machines look bitchin. However, I see neither an elliptical nor a stair-stepper, so they definitely fail.

Jeremy Jones
01-29-2007, 04:48 PM
Not enough mirrors.

Neal Winkler
01-29-2007, 07:57 PM
Don't jump to any conclusions, Greg, that's only one corner of the room.

John Vernon
01-29-2007, 08:03 PM
no donkey calf raises machine??...pussies.

John Seiler
02-22-2007, 02:40 PM
Why do they have all that equipment? Everyone knows that the ultimate martial arts workout consists of hindu squats, hindu pushups, neck bridges, and a $299 charge on your Visa. Duh!

Jay L Swan
02-24-2007, 07:32 AM
My vague, second/third-hand understanding from talking to a friend who has trained at Chute Boxe is that their biggest problem in S&C is losing muscle mass. The pro fighters are typically doing a 90-minute MMA training session most days of the week, which I have heard described as "like doing Tabata intervals for an hour-and-a-half". They also do a 90-minute hard BJJ session several days a week.

Because they rely on their fight training for conditioning, their time in the weight room is aimed primarily at preserving muscle mass and promoting recovery, and is usually done bodybuilding-style.

Robb Wolf
02-24-2007, 08:06 AM
My vague, second/third-hand understanding from talking to a friend who has trained at Chute Boxe is that their biggest problem in S&C is losing muscle mass. The pro fighters are typically doing a 90-minute MMA training session most days of the week, which I have heard described as "like doing Tabata intervals for an hour-and-a-half". They also do a 90-minute hard BJJ session several days a week.

Because they rely on their fight training for conditioning, their time in the weight room is aimed primarily at preserving muscle mass and promoting recovery, and is usually done bodybuilding-style.

I think that's not a bad way to go...I'd just keep the weight sessions more functional and maybe conjugate method max effort/RFD work. Obviously that approach works for them.

Neal Winkler
02-24-2007, 07:11 PM
But does it work because it's good, or does it work because everyone else is subpar as well?

Robb Wolf
02-25-2007, 08:30 AM
But does it work because it's good, or does it work because everyone else is subpar as well?

I think Hamemring Max strength/power and then leaving MOST metcon for sport specific training provides the most benefits. Now this is for a professionsal fighter. For someone rolling 2-3 dyas per week for an hour per session some outside CrossFit/Ross style metcon (1-2 days) in addition to strength work I think is highly appropriate and beneficial.

In the case of the SSP for the fighters you will need to alter those drills frequently to prevent adaptation. The name of the game is learning to be relaxed and movement efficiency. This may become at odds with increasing levels of conditioning which is where a weekly fight gone bad or similar time indexed circuit may be VERY beneficial.

Neal Winkler
02-25-2007, 12:46 PM
Oh, I definately agree. But I was referring to their bodybuilding approach. :)