PDA

View Full Version : What Elite Athletes Eat (From the Crossfit Games)

Shaun Frankson
07-23-2009, 11:21 AM
This video was made during the Crossfit games, interviewing athletes about the foods they eat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY9ceulkVzs

Andy Robinson
07-24-2009, 01:42 PM
How much of the performance gains that come from eating clean are psychosomatic? "I am eating to fuel performance, therefore my performance WILL be better." Likewise, if a person does the unthinkable and enjoys a few beers, some cornbread, and a bunch of ribs slathered in a sugary sauce, and they THINK they will perform worse the following day, will the performance be worse because of the food or because of the negative attitude?

Garrett Smith
07-24-2009, 01:49 PM
A lot of those folks looked like spectators.

Didn't hear "Zone ratios" mentioned much.

Avoiding processed foods? No...seriously?

Mike ODonnell
07-24-2009, 04:24 PM
Michael Phelps ate like crap.....turned out pretty well for him! lol

Yes...same message....skip the processed foods and the ratios really don't matter much after that (unless you are selling zone bars/meals). Calories matter....ratios are overrated.....hell eating all the time is overrated!

Shaun Frankson
07-24-2009, 06:53 PM
I think moderation is always the key. It's scary how many people don't even start with the right stuff on the plate, or even know what the right stuff is. Any good diet will allow cheat meals once a week.

Scott Kustes
07-26-2009, 01:51 PM
I find the story on Phelps' diet to be unbelievable. Those guys have nutritionists, doctors, and numerous other specialties on the payroll. I highly doubt he's really eating mainly pancakes and other processed garbage. I think that was a "let's not give away the secrets" story.

That said, I doubt he "eats clean" as we'd define it. There's no way to get enough calories for his caloric burn from sweet potatoes and fruit.

Trygve Lunde
07-27-2009, 02:02 PM
that phelps thing is just bullshit, he said that in an interview. He ate 7-8k calories at most, and it was much cleaner. The only thing that was right was the breakfast, and he ate this way when he was 17-18 years old when he trained even more to prevent injury

Blair Lowe
07-28-2009, 02:53 AM
A college athlete can easily put in 4-6k of calories a day. I was talking to my roommate who was a rower and it sounds that because of the 6 days of practices and 3 days of weights they could put away a lot of food.

We are talking about 20-25 hours of working out, not 5 or 6.