PDA

View Full Version : David Morgan does "King Kong" in 2:04 with additional weight

Andrew Wilson
07-28-2009, 12:41 AM
Found this in the mainsite mb, this is wild: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHEkokQSGmU) wfs

Garrett Smith
07-28-2009, 05:58 AM
Both sides that are talking about this are right.

Crazy strength and work output, and he doesn't hit most movement standards.

Gavin Harrison
07-28-2009, 07:27 AM
Definitely impressive, I can see why the crossfit form nazi's would have a field day though, as he never really locked anything out, or went to a dead hang on the MUs. Either way, that's 4x500 lb deadlifts and 9x275 lb in 2 minutes, with other stuff added in. ;)

Chris H Laing
08-12-2009, 03:52 PM
Those are some nifty muscle ups.

Steven Low
08-12-2009, 06:32 PM
Those are some nifty muscle ups.
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/6992/lkipmuym9.png

Stuart Picken
08-13-2009, 02:12 PM
the man's a bear, end of!
it annoys me that some crossfit folks are dismissing his quite frankly awesome performance because of form (although i'd never call a kip to support a muscle up). i wouldn't recognize that as the 'best time ever' due to the form but still he's showed that at 44 he can still, in some areas, hang with the best. A legit performance, legit athlete, inexplicable car.

PS. form certainly is an issue for this guy, and apparently the record books. In what world is this a dip!?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NytE1-Ygcw WFS

Andrew Wilson
08-14-2009, 12:30 PM
He could probably say the same about crossfitter's oly/dl technique like crossfitter's say about his muscle ups lol

Allen Yeh
08-14-2009, 06:35 PM
He could probably say the same about crossfitter's oly/dl technique like crossfitter's say about his muscle ups lol

Heh.

Timothy Scalise
08-15-2009, 01:16 AM
dude power cleaned 125kg each time, then squated. Beast strait up beast.

jake oleander
08-15-2009, 10:14 AM
dude power cleaned 125kg each time, then squated. Beast strait up beast.

he was throwing that weight around like nothing, made the 500lb deads look easy too.

Garrett Smith
08-15-2009, 11:44 AM
Put quite simply, for those who want exercise to be a sport, there have to be standards.

Nobody really cares about someone who can quarter-squat 2000 pounds, because most everyone doesn't consider that a competed (or completed) exercise.

If a guy false starts in a 100m race, yet ran a (later analyzed by video) 9.2 sec. 100m, while the performance is incredible, it still doesn't count for the record books. That guy isn't the new "fastest man in the world" until they do it *right*.

I'm amazed at when form is obviously sub-par (ie. not a single lockout, for example), yet everyone only wants to defend the "effort" and almost act like the effort put out (or the fact that the person--like David Morgan--is insanely strong) somehow relieves the person of having to hit movement standards. It doesn't, and it doesn't mean that the performance isn't impressive.

People who don't squat to competition depth in practice get a really rude awakening when judges actually give them red lights in competition.

"Great. You attempted to squat a PR, and you stood up with it. Sorry, it wasn't deep enough to count. Great effort, though!" It's really that simple. Same thing applies here.

Garrett Smith
08-15-2009, 11:48 AM
PS. form certainly is an issue for this guy, and apparently the record books. In what world is this a dip!?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NytE1-Ygcw WFS
That's exactly what I'm talking about. Exercise for sport/records becomes a joke quite quickly, especially when high reps for speed/time get involved. It also sets a precedent of Mr. Morgan "shorting" his reps. Doesn't mean he's not outrageously strong.

Chris H Laing
08-15-2009, 02:10 PM
Doesn't mean he's not outrageously strong.

That is all everyone is trying to say. No ones saying his performance should go in the record books.

Andrew Wilson
08-16-2009, 12:43 AM
Wait, I was watching this again & realized he's probably the most legit Oly athlete CrossFit's seen in a wod.... Has Casey performed a King Kong? That would be incredibly interesting to see.

Martin Bonn
08-16-2009, 03:29 AM
he was throwing that weight around like nothing, made the 500lb deads look easy too.

AND...he s doing it clean style as well...if i ever get to doing 500 it probably won t look quite like this!

Chris H Laing
08-16-2009, 06:19 AM
Wait, I was watching this again & realized he's probably the most legit Oly athlete CrossFit's seen in a wod....

I think I remember a video of another olympic caliber lifter doing grace. He was muscle cleaning and pressing the weight, and he may or may not have had a mullet. I can't find the video though.

Brandon Oto
08-16-2009, 07:46 AM
Donny Shankle.

Gant Grimes
08-17-2009, 09:37 AM
That is all everyone is trying to say. No ones saying his performance should go in the record books.

Record books for what?

Donny Shankle.

Yes. About an hour after winning USAW Nationals. He smoked a cigarette, took off his shirt, and knocked out Grace in a minute and something wearing cowboy boots.