PDA

View Full Version : Matt's Training Log

Matt Lawson
08-05-2009, 08:22 AM
I start this as a means of holding myself accountable. Getting to the gym and working out is the easy part. Sticking to one friggin plan, and fulfilling each aspect of it 100% tends to be my downfall.

So, I hope to plainly state my goals and march towards them to the best of my ability. I think the greatest problem with a goal like this is the tendency of folks, including and especially myself, to not truly have a clear idea of goals. I shall try.

Starting with current stats:
Body weight 160# (w/ lifting shoes, shorts, shirt, ipod)
Height 5'9"

1rm's
Squat (low bar) 250#
Dead Lift 375#
Press 130#
Clean 185#
pull-up 85#

To keep myself honest, I'm not going to count any of my past times on Crossfit named wods. Rather, I'll attempt a few over the next few weeks.

Goals:
I would like to see myself at 175# and comfortably lean, but i consider this second to my lifting/performance goals.

-Within 18 months-
Squat 315
Dead 450
Press 155
Clean 205
Learn to snatch
Sub 5min Fran
Jerk 200+
Pull-up 100+
pull-up max rep @ 55

Other information:
I train at the local YMCA for lack of a better environment. I may commute to a semi-local X-fit for 0-lift training when time/money allows.

My wife is my training partner and inspiration.

I have Crohn's disease, but only take medication when I have a "flare up" because i think many of the meds are worse than the disease. I've had about 2 feet of intestines removed including my ilium. I only mention this as, from time to time, it affects my ability to eat or train.

Current supplements:
-Daily-
10-12 Fish oils
multi
Vit. C
Vit. E
Glucosamine

-Monthly-
1cc B12 injection (as prescribed by my GI doc based on the removal of my ilium)

I hope I prove able to keep this going. Time will tell if i flake out and remit this to the pages of posts forgotten.

-Matt

Matt Lawson
08-06-2009, 03:57 PM
My beloved puppy has a bladder the size of an apricot, so naturally my sleep was broken all night. I compensated in my workout (read: I got lazy. What a way to start this off).

DL
Warm up: 135x5; 225x3
working sets: 320x3x3

Power clean:
135 x5sets x2reps. (this was too light)

I was going to do a pull-up/push-up circuit, but like i said, i got lazy.

I'm open to suggestions for a met-con for tomorrow.

-Matt

Matt Lawson
08-11-2009, 05:28 AM
Week 1
Day 1

Back Squat: 200x5x5
Push-Press: 120x5x5

The squats were easy. I rested about 5 min between sets. Next week I'll probably gun for 210 (5% jump). I need to be careful though; I'm inpatient and i don't want that to shoot me in the foot.

The Push-Press was sadly more challenging than i thought it would be. I've not been going over head nearly as much as I've needed to, and it shows. Might make a 5% jump here (6#) too.

I flat out forgot to do any pull-ups. The gym started to get crowded and i just didn't want to deal with it. A new gym is going to open in the area soon. It will be good to get out of the Y.

-Matt

Matt Lawson
08-12-2009, 06:38 AM
Bench Press (DB) 80x5x5

AMRAP of:
5 box jumps on 30 inch box
5 clapping bush ups
5 chest to bar pull-ups

Matt Lawson
08-14-2009, 05:10 AM
DL 335x3x3
Clean and Jerk 135x5x2

I'm not going to do another 15# jump on dead unless it is just crazy easy. I'll probably stick to 5-10#s from here on out.

Clean and Jerk felt pretty good. I have issues getting under the bar aggressively enough. I'll be working on that over the next few weeks.

Matt Lawson
08-17-2009, 02:55 PM
BS:
206x5x5

C&J
I was going to go for 185 today but decided leaving the power rack for some floor space would have been a bad idea. I did 135 and 145 inside the rack. I got a little claustorphobic and quick there.

Push Press:
125x5x5

Back Squat felt easier this week than last. Granted there was only a 6# difference; i still had to fight the urge to round up to 210.

Push press was evil. Perhaps I need to stop doing it after squats. It seems to suck i bit more than it should.

-Matt