PDA

View Full Version : Mammary Artery Repair and Future Stress

Patrick Poblocki
08-13-2009, 08:12 AM
Hi all.

After a recent accident and subsequent thoracotomy, I needed to have one of my mammary arteries, which was severed in the accident, repaired with a series of titanium coils to stop the bleeding in my chest cavity. I'm not recovering and it's been two weeks since the surgery and I"m doing well; however, I'm concerned because my doctor has advised me not to elevate my heart rate for at least a month while I recover. Walking is okay.

Well, I'm fine with that, because I almost died and I can spare a month to recover. But my issue is this: will the coil in my artery pose a problem in the future, in terms of level of intensity I can bring to workouts? Doing CF, I put my heart rate through the roof...Does anyone know if this type of artery repair can take that type of intensity? I'm afraid I may "blow my gasket" when I start training again.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Patrick

Allen Yeh
08-13-2009, 08:59 AM
I'm not sure here but I wanted to say I'm glad you are alright (relatively speaking).

Steven Low
08-13-2009, 10:58 AM
Once the body repairs your arteries you should be fine to work out as intense as you like since they will be like any other.

But I would still check back with your doctor before you do anything just in case there are any contraindications

Garrett Smith
08-13-2009, 10:59 AM
You need to ask doctors who are experts in this area, who have seen these in many patients. Follow their advice.

Heavy lifting really elevates blood pressure temporarily. This is normally good for blood vessels, but your case is not normal anymore.

Either listen to the doctors or be a guinea pig.

If I were you, I'd ditch the CF idea. You need to know exactly what exercises are okay, you will learn this by repeating them regularly, and carefully gauging your intensity. Doing randomly selected exercises at high intensity will possibly kill you. Caveat emptor.

Patrick Poblocki
08-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Thanks guys. I will be seeing the doctor soon to see what he says, but I can't really imagine a lifestyle without intense physical activity (CF or not). This is (or could be) depressing. :( Thanks for the advice. I'm not jumping into anything until it's cleared with the doctor. I'll see what he says.

Patrick

Scott Kustes
08-14-2009, 07:28 AM
There are other ways to do intense activity with structured workouts. CF may work for you, or it may not. I have plenty of intense workouts on the track without touching a weight.

Good luck!

Patrick Poblocki
08-14-2009, 08:55 AM
Does anyone know which causes a more profound impact on blood pressure within an artery: heavy weight training, or HIT sprinting?

Thanks,

Patrick

Garrett Smith
08-14-2009, 08:57 AM
Thanks guys. I will be seeing the doctor soon to see what he says, but I can't really imagine a lifestyle without intense physical activity (CF or not). This is (or could be) depressing. :( Thanks for the advice. I'm not jumping into anything until it's cleared with the doctor. I'll see what he says.

Patrick

Patrick,
Note that I don't mean to say that all intense activity is out, that's for your doctor to let you know.

What I am saying is that it would be better to slowly learn that one specific exercise is okay and slowly ramp up the intensity, rather than (for example) doing high rep snatches one day (when you haven't done them in two months and hence have no *adaptation*) and ending up bleeding out internally.

Caution is the key here, and adaptation and familiarity are a good thing for your situation. CF is not about adaptation or familiarity, hence why I don't think it would be good for your situation.

Patrick Poblocki
08-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Garrett,

Thanks! I think I misunderstood at first--now clear. It will definitely be a slow process of adaptation and learning what I can do. I'm anxious, though; exercise used to be my stress relief. I'm looking forward to getting back to anything physical--beyond walking. I still have a few weeks, I feel, before I'll attempt even body-weight stuff of any substance. But for now, I'm just trying to prepare myself mentally for what's in store. Thanks for your help and encouragement.

Patrick

Brandon Oto
08-14-2009, 01:14 PM
Heavy lifting with Valsalva will be the greater spike in vascular pressure in my guess.

Patrick Poblocki
09-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Well...just wanted to say that the doctor cleared me for exercise. He said that the artery shouldn't have any problems holding up to intense stress: sprints, intense metcon, heavy lifts, etc. I explained to him crossfit and he said, "no problem."

So, my welcome back workout today was 15 9 ft. slosh pipe front squats, 40 jumping pullups, 10 ring pushups (I'm very weak right now), and a 400 meter hill run. Three times!

It felt good to get back into it. I didn't push it too hard and my body didn't yell at me, so I'm happy. Now's the slow progression back to some form of "fit."

Thanks for all the help,

Patrick

Patrick Poblocki
09-06-2009, 08:34 AM
Ok, so now, after a few days of training, I've developed a seroma under my incision site. A seroma is a pocket of clear serous fluid.

Anyone know if I should be training with this? I'm seeing the dr. again, but not for another week...

Patrick

Steven Low
09-06-2009, 01:39 PM
I'd take it easy on the high intensity work (heavy lifting, intervals, metabolic conditioning, etc.). Just in case.

Patrick Poblocki
09-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Thanks Steven...but I'm stupid...have been following that advice--in terms of lifting, but I've still been doing some intense metcon...well...today at work the seroma "popped" (sorry to be gross), but it looks like I still have a bit of recovery before I can get back on the horse and really train...does anyone know the limitations of a seroma? THink I might just do NOTHING for a while. Gonna see the doc on Friday...

Thanks

Patrick