PDA

View Full Version : Old School Stuff

Frank Needham
08-18-2009, 05:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI6CB5ZnDlQ&feature=related

Title says it all. I wish I knew Polish? If anyone on the boards knows any I'd sure like to know what the narrator is saying about the lifts being done.

Kevin Perry
08-18-2009, 07:06 PM
Fantastic Video!

Chuck Kechter
08-18-2009, 09:51 PM
Excellent video!

Martin Bonn
08-19-2009, 07:23 AM
this is awesome! i would love one of those old lifting suits! they rock!:-p

Yuen Sohn
09-30-2009, 08:20 PM
A friend of mine gave me an English-dubbed DVD version of this. You're not really missing much in terms of narrative. In that YouTube clip, most of the exercise descriptions are pretty basic (e.g., squatting with the bar on the back is one of the most effective exercises...). Doesn't really go much beyond that level.

The parts not shown (as the entire vid is about 1hr 45min), are pretty interesting to watch though. Quite a few clips of general conditioning.

The video opens with running in the forest, agility work, balancing, jumping, log throws (to the front and rear), swimming and cross country skiing, of all things. And more running.

Some other activities shown:
handstand pushups
sprints
leapfrogging with partner
wheelbarrows
somersaults forward/backward
flips, forward and back
flags
etc.
...plus volleyball and basketball

There's more to the video, but it's late and I'm tired.

When I get a better computer, I'll see if I can rip an mp4 or something from the DVD.

Frank Needham
10-01-2009, 05:08 AM
I'm calling it, what a disturbing avatar.

Yuen Sohn
10-01-2009, 06:20 AM
Ha! Gotta give props to the unsung hero of the famous Pisarenko high-pull photo.

jake oleander
10-01-2009, 12:05 PM
A friend of mine gave me an English-dubbed DVD version of this. You're not really missing much in terms of narrative. In that YouTube clip, most of the exercise descriptions are pretty basic (e.g., squatting with the bar on the back is one of the most effective exercises...). Doesn't really go much beyond that level.

The parts not shown (as the entire vid is about 1hr 45min), are pretty interesting to watch though. Quite a few clips of general conditioning.

The video opens with running in the forest, agility work, balancing, jumping, log throws (to the front and rear), swimming and cross country skiing, of all things. And more running.

Some other activities shown:
handstand pushups
sprints
leapfrogging with partner
wheelbarrows
somersaults forward/backward
flips, forward and back
flags
etc.
...plus volleyball and basketball

There's more to the video, but it's late and I'm tired.

When I get a better computer, I'll see if I can rip an mp4 or something from the DVD.

sounds awesome, i would love to see that.

Yuen Sohn
11-08-2009, 03:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=308D0F3E52764BA9

Special thanks to the Fat Bastard Club for their assistance in providing and digitizing the VHS.

Alex Bond
11-08-2009, 04:21 AM
They do some funky stuff in there. Strangest were the clean deadlift negatives in part 4. Spotters help lift to the hang, athlete lowers very slowly to the floor. Thanks for the link!

Martin Bonn
11-08-2009, 12:14 PM
these guys get to throw logs around! this is amazing!

Gary Ohm
11-08-2009, 06:21 PM
Any idea what era this is? One of my friends and co-workers was on the 1972 Polish Olympic team. He defected shortly after. One thing he remembers most is all of the non-weight lifting they did. Lots of hopping; hopping in sand, hopping in the river and lake, hopping in the pool, lots of handstand work and lots of ab work, lots of swimming and rowing too.
I'd like to show him this and see if he recognizes any of the athletes.

Thanks for this video.:D

John Alston
11-08-2009, 06:24 PM
Could compare with this more modern Polish team.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5Vdt9B5vKo

Yuen Sohn
11-08-2009, 07:43 PM
Any idea what era this is? One of my friends and co-workers was on the 1972 Polish Olympic team. He defected shortly after. One thing he remembers most is all of the non-weight lifting they did. Lots of hopping; hopping in sand, hopping in the river and lake, hopping in the pool, lots of handstand work and lots of ab work, lots of swimming and rowing too.
I'd like to show him this and see if he recognizes any of the athletes.

Thanks for this video.:D
Not sure of the dates, as it seems to feature comps all throughout the 70s. I think Zygmunt Smalcerz (1972 Olympic team) is featured, so it's quite possible.

Gary Ohm
11-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Awesome!! That's what I was hoping for. I'll be shadowing his lunch break again this week.:D

Gary Ohm
11-19-2009, 02:55 PM
I finally got to talk to my coworker buddy. I sent him the video and asked if he knew these guys.
Here's his response: Yeah, I know all of them: Stefan Leletko (the small guy 3rd on the video from the beginning), Tadeusz Rutkowski - the heavy weight guy are both from the same weightlifting club. This video was taken at National Team Training facility in Warsaw. I only attended those camps during summer, because I was full time student.

Pretty cool. Thanks for digging this up.

Yuen Sohn
11-20-2009, 06:16 AM
I finally got to talk to my coworker buddy. I sent him the video and asked if he knew these guys.
Here's his response: Yeah, I know all of them: Stefan Leletko (the small guy 3rd on the video from the beginning), Tadeusz Rutkowski - the heavy weight guy are both from the same weightlifting club. This video was taken at National Team Training facility in Warsaw. I only attended those camps during summer, because I was full time student.

Pretty cool. Thanks for digging this up.

Very cool!

Gary Ohm
11-20-2009, 08:20 AM
Here's another cut and pasted e-mail from my buddy about those guys (I asked him "what's with the hair"?) :

I don't know about the hair either, but I do visit these guys when I go to Poland. Last time I saw them was in 2001. Leletko is a taxi driver and so was Rutkowski. Rutkowski attempted suicide about 12 years ago, but survived after jumping of the 10 story condo....by bouncing off TV antenna on someone's below his floor balcony. It is amazing how little value you have in the communist country when you "done". Rutkowski was 2 time bronze medalist in heavy weight in Montreal and Moscow Olympic games. Leletko was a world and olympic champion in 52 kg weight class.

Athletes here get endorsements, speaking engagements, book deals, coaching opportunities and ect. Not so much in East Europe...

Yuen Sohn
04-08-2010, 09:31 AM
On a related note, regarding Zygmunt Smalcerz:

http://weightlifting.teamusa.org/news/2010/04/08/polish-olympic-champion-named-head-coach-of-the-u-s-olympic-training-center-resident-team/35143?no_cache=true

Grissim Connery
04-08-2010, 10:18 AM
i thought the back squat was interesting when he set the rack low and let it hit it each time. any opinions on that method?

Mike Wright
04-09-2010, 10:31 AM
How did those guys know about CrossFit back then?;)