PDA

View Full Version : sn vs hang sn

Alex Nowasell
09-12-2009, 01:01 PM
how much of ur max should u be able to use when compared to the hang sn or hang cln?

Brian DeGennaro
09-12-2009, 03:50 PM
My best lifts from the hang are exactly as heavy as I can lift from the floor for both the snatch and clean.

Eric Egan
09-12-2009, 07:47 PM
the guy i work out with can do more weight from the hang,but thats because his form falls apart bad when he pulls from the ground.

Martin Bonn
09-13-2009, 02:58 AM
My best lifts from the hang are exactly as heavy as I can lift from the floor for both the snatch and clean.

That s interesting...i would have thought that you (you in general, not just you in particular :-p) can do more from the floor than from the hang. especially if you look at bar velocity vs time graph: the bar is moving at quite some speed by the time it gets to the hang, that must make a difference?!

Timothy Holmes
09-13-2009, 06:35 AM
It's the eccentric loading portion of the hang that makes it more powerful. You don't do a full squat with a pause at the bottom when you're testing your vertical jump.

Martin Bonn
09-13-2009, 07:18 AM
ah i can see where you are coming from, i supose it depends on how you do the exercise, i always need to pause at the hang and make sure the positioning is correct....still though, is that gonna fully compensate for having a bar that is already moving at some speed?
how do the numbers compare for elite lifters?

Eric Egan
09-13-2009, 11:02 AM
i always need to pause at the hang and make sure the positioning is correctthats what i do to unless im doing high hang,then i just jump the weight up.

Michael McKenna
09-14-2009, 06:54 AM
Mine are about 85-90% from the hang vs. from the floor. I know many people-- especially throwers and football players-- who can hang much more than they can move from the floor (not using straps from the hang). For instance, a friend of mine who used to compete in the Highland Games has snatched 140 from the hang, but only 110 ever from the floor.

Alex Nowasell
09-14-2009, 03:39 PM
I always thought that someone should be able to lift more from the ground then from the hang since u have more time to gather velocity. i am fairly new at this so i'm not that positive. it would be interesting to see how elite lifters hang and full positions compare.

Brian DeGennaro
09-14-2009, 05:31 PM
A lot of lifters can do more from the hang. If you have a solid hang, then you pretty much are in the best position possible to lift and generate the most momentum on the barbell. A lot can go wrong from the floor to mid-thigh because the bar has to travel a few feet, meaning there is a lot of room for error.