PDA

View Full Version : Thanks, Matt!

Duke McCall
09-18-2009, 07:30 AM
I have been struggling all year with injuries and knew that I needed to reduce my training volume. But I have been afraid to do it. After all, I am only lifting four days a week now. Cutting back more inevitably would lead to a strength loss, right? As it is, I have been making little progress because I have to take time off for injuries, but cutting back more would be an admission that, at 41, I am too old to keep this up, right?

Obviously, the answer is no, but I needed someone to tell me that. Thanks, Matt.

Matt Foreman
09-18-2009, 07:00 PM
Hey Duke,
Without knowing anything about your training, I think you hit the nail right on the head with your first sentence. You've been beat up and you knew your body was telling you something. And I definitely understand how hard it is to back off your training because you want to train hard. We're men, which means we're biologically programmed not to listen to our bodies or our wives. But I guess we all have to admit sometimes that we need to listen better...to our bodies:) Anyway, I hope things are feeling better.

Matt

Mike ODonnell
09-19-2009, 07:54 AM
Strength is more CNS than how much time you spend in the gym. Fry that and you won't be able to lift a dog.

Hence why people who are training way too much take a week off will feel stronger than before...because their CNS is now fully rested.

Slow and steady get long term results....fast and furious leads to burnout and forums full of people not making any progress every year.

Frank Needham
09-19-2009, 08:23 AM
Slow and steady get long term results....fast and furious leads to burnout and forums full of people not making any progress every year.

Second that. I'm doing SS again, and micro-loading this time. The results I'm getting so far are pretty nice. No extreme fatigue, no overly sore muscles, steady progress with manageable weights, 3x per week.